PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about...

Chevron_Locked
14-07-2015, 19:33
This isn't anything concrete but I'm hoping there might be some credible evidence for this that someone could shine some light on.

So, I went into my local store to invest in some Swooping Hawks only to find out none of the aspect warriors are available, even through order... according to the bloke in the shop it's a possible sign that we could be due a new release of aspect warriors.

Has anyone heard or seen anything else that leans in this direction, and if we might finally be getting pose-able models at last?

Lord Damocles
14-07-2015, 20:30
They all seem to be available on the GW site now.

shabbadoo
16-07-2015, 10:33
There is no news on any new plastic Aspect Warriors. I wish there was. It has been nearly nine ---NINE--- long years since the plastic Dire Avengers came out. Eldar and Chaos Space Marines are among the most popular of armies, and yet they are the two most unsupported armies so far as plastic kits are concerned (each has 12+ units needing conversion to plastic). No new plastic Aspect Warriors in nearly NINE yeas defies logic. I would buy 4 boxes of each on the day of release.

Also, when you post a thread, don't post a thread title which says nothing about what your thread is about. It is annoying as hell, and smacks of self-importance. Don't be "that guy".

Karhedron
16-07-2015, 14:23
The problem with plastic Aspect Warriors is that you have 7 very different types of infantry (and 1 on jetbikes). Marines can be done more easily by adding accessory sprues to a common torso and leg sprue. Although you get some duplication, GW considers each of the 4 main chapters to be a stand-alone army, hence BAs getting their own tactical squad box.

With Aspect Warriors, there are almost no common parts. I have seen some people suggest pairing up torsos and legs for aspects in similar weight armour but I am not convinced you could do that and still retain the distinctive look for each aspect.

My guess is that GW will be keeping a close eye on the sales of the finecast versions as they will only make what they think they can sell in sufficient quantities to pay off the costs of tooling. Dire Avengers made the cut because they are a troop choice. Other aspects are much more optional in nature (however cool they may be).

6th Ed pushed Wraith units and 7th has seen the rise of the Jetbike. Maybe in 8th edition GW will have worked out a way to cost effectively do plastic aspect warriors but I would not hold your breath. Having said all that, I am disappointed they did not take the opportunity to do plastic Shining Spears to go with the new jetbikes. :(

Chevron_Locked
16-07-2015, 16:18
There is no news on any new plastic Aspect Warriors. I wish there was. It has been nearly nine ---NINE--- long years since the plastic Dire Avengers came out. Eldar and Chaos Space Marines are among the most popular of armies, and yet they are the two most unsupported armies so far as plastic kits are concerned (each has 12+ units needing conversion to plastic). No new plastic Aspect Warriors in nearly NINE yeas defies logic. I would buy 4 boxes of each on the day of release.

Also, when you post a thread, don't post a thread title which says nothing about what your thread is about. It is annoying as hell, and smacks of self-importance. Don't be "that guy".

I shall refrain from using ominous titles in the future then :)

It would be awesome if we could have pose-able aspects (one of the poorest stances I can think of are those talent by the warp spiders...). If they could retain the appearance whilst doing such that would ace, but I think that's asking a bit much of gw.

Flame Boy
16-07-2015, 16:37

I agree totally. It's surprisingly annoying, and I'm sure it's been happening more often of late. It feels like a cheap marketing ploy. :/

I have to agree with you though chevron, although I really like the Warp Spider models The poses are a bit unimaginative, but I suppose the theory was they warp jumped from place to place to get into position to attack so they didn't need to look terribly dynamic. However, having them appear to actively leap through portals or in more obvious ambushing poses wouldn't hurt at all.

Since Games Workshop have been ramping up their plastic production in recent years, we could well see the Aspect Warriors getting some love in a year or two. I think Fire Dragons are probably one of the last sets that need converting to plastic, since they don't have many thin parts like sword blades that have a tendency to warp in resin kits. It would probably make sense for Hawks, Banshees and Scorpions to get the plastic conversion first, but that's just my guess.

So, short answer, nope, we don't know about them yet. :)

turtle123
17-07-2015, 03:58
Plastic Aspect warriors kits would be nice. Maybe release dual kits where Banshees could also be a new female aspect, scorpions/swooping hawks, reapers/fire dragons? Plastic totally kicks resin's and metal's butt. They need to re-do banshees to make them hot. This game is meant to attract young (or older like me) males...

MajorWesJanson
17-07-2015, 05:25
It's hard to say which way they will go with Eldar. Not everything has been dual-kit recently after all:
BA Assault Terminators, Tactical Squad were single kit (didn't even add normal weapons for the BA like the Wolf Guard termies)
Ork Flash Gitz and Meganobz are single kits (Meganobz do come with some weapon options)
DE Wracks were single kit (thouh that entire release was models that were likely designed about 4 years earlier and should have been released back then)
Jetbikes were single kit with some weapon options (Likely sculpted at the same time as the DE bikes, but sat on for years)
Skitarii Rangers/Vanuard and Praetorian "Kataphracti" Servitors are both dual kits, mainly through weapon swaps.
SM Assault Squad and Devastators are new kits that are single kit, with a new weapon each and more options for the sergeant.

I think the last is most likely for Eldar. It would take a while, but I can easily see Aspect Warriors being 5 man boxes with optional parts to upgrade an exarch, and a new weapon or two per unit, and full options for the exarch. 2-3 kits at a time, since Eldar now have most non aspect kits in plastic. We could even see some more diverent options added to the box- Fire dragons with all flamers, Howling Banshees with power spears, or dark reapers with shorter range bright lances. It would be easy and fit the fluff (different shrines do it differently)

shabbadoo
18-07-2015, 02:30
The problem with plastic Aspect Warriors is that you have 7 very different types of infantry (and 1 on jetbikes). Marines can be done more easily by adding accessory sprues to a common torso and leg sprue. Although you get some duplication, GW considers each of the 4 main chapters to be a stand-alone army, hence BAs getting their own tactical squad box.

With Aspect Warriors, there are almost no common parts. I have seen some people suggest pairing up torsos and legs for aspects in similar weight armour but I am not convinced you could do that and still retain the distinctive look for each aspect.

My guess is that GW will be keeping a close eye on the sales of the finecast versions as they will only make what they think they can sell in sufficient quantities to pay off the costs of tooling. Dire Avengers made the cut because they are a troop choice. Other aspects are much more optional in nature (however cool they may be).

6th Ed pushed Wraith units and 7th has seen the rise of the Jetbike. Maybe in 8th edition GW will have worked out a way to cost effectively do plastic aspect warriors but I would not hold your breath. Having said all that, I am disappointed they did not take the opportunity to do plastic Shining Spears to go with the new jetbikes. :(
GW very much could have them done already; they just have chosen not to put the focus on them for some unimaginable reason. And Aspect Warriors do have common parts. Every one of them is, similar to the various space marine kits, based on a body suit, that is then modified. Do you know how easy it is to build up from/modify a base bodysuit in CAD? It is stupid easy, and very much cost effective. Much of the gear they already have the modeling done for, and the new Autarch alone shows us some of those bits. CAD modeling for many other bits has been done for years now. For Shining Spears, it would be best to have a jetbike kit with modified bits especially for Shining Spears (once again, very easy to to do now that the jetbike kit has been modeled) rather than just a small accessory sprue which makes jetbikes look Shining Spears-ish. As to combo kits, the different looks of the armor are easy to get. Different front torsos for the bodies, and different knees+lower legs for some of them. Banshees and Swooping Hawks have similarly leaping/acrobatic poses. Warp Spiders and Striking Scorpions could be given similarly dynamic and threatening poses. Fire Dragons and Dark Reaper have less dynamic (but not necessarily non-dynamic) firing poses. Very slight changes in specific parts would allow for varied and very characterful combo kits.

On the upside, the only kits left for them to screw us out of Aspect Warriors with are Warlocks, Rangers, and the Avatar, any of which I wouldn't mind having in plastic anyways! :p

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2015, 06:47
I'd bet Jetbikes have all the weapons for each bike and lack shining spear parts because the sprue was designed years ago, alongside the DE reavers or even before. Back then, bikes were sold as singles or as 3 packs, and combi-kits were not all the rage. Then they just sat on the sprue for a long time before releasing it, and since it had heavy weapons for each bike for when they split the bikes up into single boxes, they decided to go with the idiotic idea of putting that in the rules as well.

Karhedron
20-07-2015, 13:55
GW very much could have them done already; they just have chosen not to put the focus on them for some unimaginable reason. And Aspect Warriors do have common parts. Every one of them is, similar to the various space marine kits, based on a body suit, that is then modified. Do you know how easy it is to build up from/modify a base bodysuit in CAD? It is stupid easy, and very much cost effective.

Easy to design the CAD, sure. Cost-effective, I don't think so.

It costs roughly 50K to create the injection moulding tool for a new sprue, that is what affects the economics. Maybe you could fit an entire aspect on a single sprue but more likely you would need 2. That is 100K per aspect they wish to introduce in plastic.

They would have to sell enough kits to recoup that 100K before they could even think about making a profit. There is nothing in the design or technology holding back plastic aspect warriors. Simply the fact I don't think that GW believe they could sell enough of each (niche) unit to make it economically worth their while.

Especially when they could use the funds to tool up yet another multi-purpose Marine sprue. :rolleyes:

jeffersonian000
21-07-2015, 18:55
GW produces model kits in limited production runs to achieve a specific level of stock, then retool for a different model kit, run production for that stock level, then swap out to another kit, etc.. This means that any "out of stock" or "unavailable" note related to any specific kit is only ever temporary. Just be patient Chicken Little, the sky is never falling.

SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shabbadoo
22-07-2015, 06:48
Easy to design the CAD, sure. Cost-effective, I don't think so.

It costs roughly 50K to create the injection moulding tool for a new sprue, that is what affects the economics. Maybe you could fit an entire aspect on a single sprue but more likely you would need 2. That is 100K per aspect they wish to introduce in plastic.

They would have to sell enough kits to recoup that 100K before they could even think about making a profit. There is nothing in the design or technology holding back plastic aspect warriors. Simply the fact I don't think that GW believe they could sell enough of each (niche) unit to make it economically worth their while.

Especially when they could use the funds to tool up yet another multi-purpose Marine sprue. :rolleyes:
Hehe. Marines do sell well, so I can't begrudge them getting everything. You are off on the costs for what constitutes a mold though. A one-frame sprue is not that cost, nor is even a two-frame sprue (like the Dire Avengers and Kabalites below have). Maybe a three-frame sprue is that cost. Also, molds can be made with inserts, meaning GW doesn't necessarily have to tool up an entire mold block from the ground up for a new mold, just the detailed area of the new kit and the interface for the mold block. And their machines/tooling bits are better now too, which improves quality and yet still cuts costs (can I get a ""SKWEE!!!" from the bean counters out there? :p). Anyways, GW could fit a 10-model squad on such a 3-frame sprue, including optional bits for a second Aspect. Don't believe me? Here are 10 Dark Eldar Kabalites on just a 2-frame sprue: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/920x950/99120112007_DEKabaliteWarriorsSprue1.jpg. You add the third frame, and there is room for options for the second Aspect for all 10 models. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck with the 5-model units on a two-frame sprue (similar to the Dire Avengers), but packed a lot more dynaimc bits into the available space which the Dire Avenger kit ddin't need to make as much use of. I would prefer it to be that way actually, mainly so that every single kit would have utterly unique bits, and so that they can do some parts (like legs) in multiple parts such that they don't have bad undercuts/marred details. It has been NINE years since the Dire Avengers came out. Hopefully we've been waiting that long because GW is doing up the other Aspects to be very, very nice. I've got my fingers crossed, and 12 X $35 set aside. :D