PDA

View Full Version : Blanchifying an Eternal

D6damage
15-07-2015, 12:57
I am currently working through the grieving process (like many of us). I think the thing I'm missing most of all is the Old World look and feel - dirty, gritty, medieval, earthy, european, blackly-comical - like a Bruegel painting with Jobberwocks in it.
I get the whole Asgardian, epic, mythological feel - I like Thor as much as the next guy. But I grew up with John Blanche illustrations and grubby, british, gothic fantasy.

So just for fun, and to work out some of my grief, I thought I'd give a Stormcast Eternal a quick spin in photoshop to give him the John Blanche look. Here's what we could have won, fellow oldies:

EagleWarrior
15-07-2015, 13:02
Nice work. Yeah, I'd be much happier playing this game. :D

Wesser
15-07-2015, 13:19
Great paint job .... Model still leaves me with an impression of something utterly devoid of soul and character..

The very fact that I will need to read the fluff (yuck) in order to understand what a model is about says it all...

Malkier1984
15-07-2015, 14:13
Think that might become my new colour scheme (Black with Gold Trim/Highlights) and now if I can only find a way to easily add cloaks....

Wishing
15-07-2015, 14:30
That looks awesome. :) And I don't see why we cannot have this in AoS, and paint our models like that.

GrandmasterWang
15-07-2015, 14:33
You just turned the first Sigmarine to Chaos!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

NatBrannigan
15-07-2015, 16:09
Now that actually looks like a proper Warhammer model! If it was smaller i'd consider a pack to convert as Imperial Guard priests. But I don't want my priests dwarfing my opponents Terminators really...

Urgat
15-07-2015, 16:22
It's a sweet job, but to be quite frank, he just looks like a chaos warrior with a hammer and an alternate head. Not sure people would have reacted that well to it if GW had present that as the new faction.

Drakkar du Chaos
15-07-2015, 16:48
It's a sweet job, but to be quite frank, he just looks like a chaos warrior with a hammer and an alternate head. Not sure people would have reacted that well to it if GW had present that as the new faction.

This.

But also i dont remember people have reacted "well" to sigmarines.

Griefbringer
15-07-2015, 16:58
Impressive photoshoppery, though the head looks like it would need some more blanchificationism.

Urgat
15-07-2015, 17:11
This.

But also i dont remember people have reacted "well" to sigmarines.

There's plenty of people who seem to like them, really, even on Warseer. I would have done them differently, I'm not a big fan of them to be honest, but I can understand what the appeal could be (much like I get why people like space marines, while I personally dislike them).

Odin
15-07-2015, 18:02
Yeah, that looks a lot more like future Warhammer.

D6damage
15-07-2015, 18:06
I think they look absolutely fine for shiny god-like uber-humans crashing down to earth on bolts of lightning. Great stuff.

I'm just having trouble with the whole paradigm shift. For me, Warhammer is half-timbered fairytale houses with gribbly things in the pumpkin patch, and toothless peasants defending their village from beastmen in the woods. That world no longer fits with these shiny golden giants. Maybe they'll re-introduce it, but I doubt it. The "Realms" they're talking about sound like ultra-high fantasy, which GW has in the past always been an earthy, punky alternative to.

Thanks for the comments on the photoshoppery - it was only a bit fun, not a serious alternative design for the Eternals. And I quite like the way it looks like a goody version of a chaos warrior (afterall, isn't that kinda what they are?). John Blanche's pictures of Imperial Inquisitors in 40K look more chaotic than the bad guys! I quite like the two-sides-of-the-same-coin thing.

EagleWarrior
16-07-2015, 10:07
I'm kinda tempted to use converted Chaos warriors as eternals now. I like the look and it would keep the scale creep under control for a bit. Also have you seen how expensive those things are! I know it's always been an expensive hobby but that much for basic troops! :eek:

turtle123
16-07-2015, 10:14
That's some pretty cool photo-shopping action.

Those Liberators are pretty expensive, but they are bigger... So perhaps terminator price range.

lbecks
16-07-2015, 10:20
It looks good with the Empire and Space marine inspirations. Like a Liberator who was stuck in a lower realm. The current ones are straight from heaven land.