PDA

View Full Version : Will WFB 8th still be played? For how long?

scg
15-07-2015, 21:35
I've been out of the hobby for the past 25 years and now wanting to jump back in, but I don't want anything to do with AoS. I have read over WFB 8th ed and it looks good to me. I have also looked around at Mantic Games and they seem very promising. I don't have any models so my collecting will be starting from scratch. GW models are too expensive for what you get but I could put together an army using other makers like Mantic the question is should I build an army with a view to playing 8th ed WFB or Kings of War? I like the look of WFB rules more than KoW but I don't want to be playing a game no one else is playing. So will WFB die? Should I just go full throttle Mantic?

Lars Porsenna
15-07-2015, 21:42
I would check with the local gaming community, see what they are doing. However, if I were just starting out, I would probably look at KoW instead of GW. Why? Much of the meta in my community is casting about for a WHFB replacement, and so far KoW is topping the list. I plan to play 8th for as long as I can, and perhaps transition to KoW (which is not as good a game IMHO for a number of reasons, even if it is "tighter"). I may continue to play WHFB solo after that, if that is what I am left with, or perhaps play an earlier edition if that is the way the meta goes.

The nice thing about KoW though is that a lot of your WHFB figures will work. Or alternatively, many of the KoW models will work with GW. With 8th being killed off, the burden of using GW figures exclusively has been lifted to a certain extent. I know I am looking more at the "not-GW" figures out there, because officiality is less of a burden in a game no longer supported...

Damon.

Malagor
15-07-2015, 21:49
Why play KoW when there is Warthrone ?
If you like fantasy then warthrone seems like a better successor then KoW which IMO is quite dull.

Ayin
15-07-2015, 22:00
I've been out of the hobby for the past 25 years and now wanting to jump back in, but I don't want anything to do with AoS. I have read over WFB 8th ed and it looks good to me. I have also looked around at Mantic Games and they seem very promising.

I've got three people in this position (though none have been out for as long as you) and all of them are jumping back into 8th because that's what i play and am a big fan of. As time goes on, it's just as likely I (and many others) will move to KoW and they'll likely go there as well.

I don't have any models so my collecting will be starting from scratch. GW models are too expensive for what you get but I could put together an army using other makers like Mantic the question is should I build an army with a view to playing 8th ed WFB or Kings of War?

Right now, and in the coming months, buying ANYTHING from GW off the shelf is just flat out stupid. There are some deals going up on Ebay from GW cancelling Fantasy that, any other time, would have been seen as absolutely ridiculous. Get on there, and start watching things! Two of the guys I know getting back into wargaming have picked up armies for 1/4 of the shelf price. I recently sold off most of my GW stuff (except the army I actually play) and I still sometimes want to bid on the forces I see on there. Just keep it relaxed, don't get set on any particular thing, bid on what's a good deal (and for the army you want) and let it come to you without forcing it.

As for buying from other, non-GW companies? Go for it! Now that GW has cancelled the Fantasy line, anyone that's wanting to play 8th should be completely open to using non-GW miniatures, and there is no reason to wait on GW to release new models for units they have not updated or supported.

I like the look of WFB rules more than KoW but I don't want to be playing a game no one else is playing. So will WFB die? Should I just go full throttle Mantic?

Eventually all the game systems will 'die'. KoW will get another edition a few years down the line. Your best bet is to collect an army made of models you like (regardless of manufacturer) for a reasonable cost (not full retail GW prices) and use them in the game system your local area has interest in. There's nothing stopping you from learning two (or even more!) game systems and using approximately the same models in both.

scg
15-07-2015, 22:22
@Lars yeah I guess I can build an army that works easily with either fantasy rules. The thing is I quite had a hankering for a skaven army which I think is only WFB at present. Maybe KoW won't ever include a skaven-esque army for IP reasons, for while orcs, elves, dwarves and the like are all staple fantasy fare that pre-existed GW and so can never be claimed as GW's exclusive property however skaven are quite an exclusively GW concept I think. I wonder how to connect up with local gamers? The nearest city to me has a GW store but I've never been in it, I suppose that would be the place to start looking, or facebook?

@Malagor I haven't played KoW yet but I have scan read the 1st ed and yeah it does seem a bit dull though I suppose it is a work in progress. Early days yet for them.

I'll take a look at warthrones, thanks for the link.

DarKolia
15-07-2015, 22:34
Ratkins are on the design desk for KoW ... Moreover GW did not invent anything ... Ever... Ratkins can be found in Japanese folklore as nezumi and in Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar novels... Chaos come directly from Moorcock except the gods are a bit different... Even the end time is in there... Only slanns have some originality... Not lizardmen ... They were in d&d... Nothing wrong stealing the thieves!...

GrandmasterWang
16-07-2015, 04:01
8th is imo much much more entertaining than KOW.

Regarding GW cancelling the Fantasy line I don't see that at all. They still have all their stock to sell.

My local GW for example which still has 8th games being played in it still sells the Island of Blood and all the 8th miniatures he used to.

Also all the rule books are still available on the Apple Store etc etc. I don't see 8th going anywhere anytime soon.

AoS is the new Hotness which GW is pumping its energy into but 8th is still going strong for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Pacman
16-07-2015, 05:26
I would check with the local gaming community, see what they are doing.

This. You'll end up playing whatever everybody else plays.

I was playing 8th last night and talking to my opponent about it. We both felt quite liberated by the fact GW have drawn a line under 8th. We're off the GW treadmill now. We've got several armies and all the books, we can just play 8th indefinitely now with a few house rules to fix the obviously broken bits. 8th could be around for a very long time at our club.

jet_palero
16-07-2015, 05:33
8th is imo much much more entertaining than KOW.

Regarding GW cancelling the Fantasy line I don't see that at all. They still have all their stock to sell.

My local GW for example which still has 8th games being played in it still sells the Island of Blood and all the 8th miniatures he used to.

Also all the rule books are still available on the Apple Store etc etc. I don't see 8th going anywhere anytime soon.

AoS is the new Hotness which GW is pumping its energy into but 8th is still going strong for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Well, entertaining is in the eye of the beholder, but while Kings of War's rules are simpler, the game itself has plenty of depth while decreasing the amount of minutia you have to deal with while playing. At least that's what I think from my test games. Haven't found anyone locally to try it out with yet (its a bit hard when you're living in a foreign country!)

I mean, Chess is simpler than WFB too, but which one do you think will still be around in 500 years?

logan054
16-07-2015, 05:48

Yet not all of it, certain sections look very empty.I doubt they will cancel it, I am however sure that we are going to see a lot of it go.

Acephale
16-07-2015, 06:02
8th will be played for quite a while I suspect, but eventually it will go the way of all non-supported games: it will dwindle and fade for lack of new players, models and "official" rules updates. A small niche audience of vets will soldier on and keep the game on life support for some years, but beyond that not much will happen.

KoW on the other hand is getting a real bost from GW's moronic move to kill WHFB. Mantic's game has a tighter ruleset, their models are a LOT cheaper (albeit of inferior quality sometimes) and their business strategy is GW's direct opposite: they include their playerbase in the development process, they support tournaments, they are totally open about everything they do and they almost encourage the use of any models for their games. A lot of disgruntled ex-GW fans will flock to KoW in the near future just because of this.

MagicAngle
16-07-2015, 06:18
My group will be playing 8th for the foreseeable future, probably until we're all dead and buried. We've all put so much love and time into building our armies that the whims of GW are completely inconsequential at this point.

Like Pacman above, I'm finding this to be quite liberating. GW has essentially relinquished ownership of the WHFB gaming experience.

Oogie boogie boss
16-07-2015, 07:00
I know I'll be playing it for as long as I can get models. A friend from home just started a Wood Elf army for a Tale of Four Gamers campaign, and the other evening we played four 500pts games to test his list. I think it's a huge mistake for GW to scrap WHFB, but it won't stop me playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayin
16-07-2015, 07:07
KoW on the other hand is getting a real bost from GW's moronic move to kill WHFB. Mantic's game has a tighter ruleset, their models are a LOT cheaper (albeit of inferior quality sometimes) and their business strategy is GW's direct opposite: they include their playerbase in the development process, they support tournaments, they are totally open about everything they do and they almost encourage the use of any models for their games. A lot of disgruntled ex-GW fans will flock to KoW in the near future just because of this.

I'm keeping my eye on Mantic for anything they make that I'm interested in. Even if I only play 8th and never dip into KoW I really want to support that company.

Acephale
16-07-2015, 07:22
I'm keeping my eye on Mantic for anything they make that I'm interested in. Even if I only play 8th and never dip into KoW I really want to support that company.

Yeah I'm in the same position basically. I've only dabbled in KoW briefly and the system didn't really do it for me personally, I found it a bit too simple and one-dimensional for my tastes. Might play it more in the future though (also, 2nd ed will probably be a bit more dynamic than 1st), but right now I'm too busy with historicals and pulp games to even bother with mass fantasy stuff.

My Skaven are still here though and once that fantasy itch starts again it'll be KoW I go to - mainly because I really dig Mantic's approach and "gamer-to-gamer" image. If 2nd ed doesn't do it for me either there are always plenty of historical rulesets around that can be used with fantasy minis.

Ayin
16-07-2015, 07:28
That's really the crux of it.

I can keep playing 8th (or whatever edition I want, but really it's going to be 8th) for as long as I want, but if I get the urge to get back into a living game? It's Kings of War, because GW doesn't make a product for me anymore. Not out of spite or malice, and their current games might be very good (I've actually never even played a game of the current edition of 40k, first time since 2nd), but the product I want isn't there.

Griefbringer
16-07-2015, 08:03
Considering that there are people out there still playing WHFB 3rd edition, I would expect to see 8th edition games being played for many years to come.

For those concerned about finding future opponents in the long term, I would recommend making sure that you have at least two miniature armies that could give an interesting match-up against each other. That way you can more easily play against people with interest in the game but without models - just borrow them your models for the duration of the game. Having a spare rulebook (like the small one from IoB) and a spare army book that you could loan for them to read at home might also be a good idea.

Malagor
16-07-2015, 08:03
Why are people gunning for KoW as if that's the only system there is ?
I already mentioned 1 system in this thread that is free and closer to 8e then KoW is and there is no doubt other alternatives out there that is better and there no doubt will be more in the future as well.
So really people, if you don't like KoW, then there are others out there that is very much alive as well.

Acephale
16-07-2015, 08:45
I already mentioned 1 system in this thread that is free and closer to 8e then KoW is and there is no doubt other alternatives out there that is better and there no doubt will be more in the future as well.
So really people, if you don't like KoW, then there are others out there that is very much alive as well.

Don't know who you're refering to but I did mention that there are plenty of other systems - mainly historical ones but anyway - that can be used with fantasy minis.

Warthrone looks rather interesting. I guess it hasn't gotten nearly as much exposure as KoW since it hasn't been translated until just recently (and also because Mantic's models are well-known among WHFB players), but hopefully that will change now. Could you describe in what ways it's better than KoW?

DarKolia
16-07-2015, 10:43
Hi I downloaded Warthrone to peep in...

Seems OK but the list are very oriented towards Avator of War production lines whereas KoW offers a greater compability with GW stuff (especially the forthcoming stuff... I will be able to field my semigryphs and my halflings in the same army... :) :)...)

Sir_Turalyon
16-07-2015, 11:42
KoW is de-copyrighted Warhammer replacement, which focus on units rahter than the units but of models / models but as part of unit WH schisophremia. It is made to play your WH armies with.

Back to the OT question - the community I was playing WFB with was playing the 2nd edition 40k almost until Eye of Terror campaign (2002? 3?) ; 3rd. edition 40k was played at homes, outside the mainstream. Of course, it was different - 3rd edition models were mostly 2nd ed. compatibile, so 2nd was still supported by GW modelswise, if not officially.

scg
16-07-2015, 11:46
I suppose there is also the possibility of GW, some time later, releasing a 9th ed like the 8th but tidied up a bit in terms of balance and playability... Or GW going broke and selling off it's WFB IP to another company, maybe Mantic, who will then revamp it. The lure of warhammer is as much the fluff as the rules. KoW and others can easily make better rules but it takes a lot of time to build up a fresh set of original fluff and some of us don't want fresh fluff we want the old fluff.

zoggin-eck
16-07-2015, 13:12
scg, you really haven't really given anyone much to go on. What do your friends play? Where do you play? How long a game continues for depends on the group. I've read blogs by people who never bought an edition beyond 1st who have continued playing occasionally to this day. If your direct friends stop playing 8th, or won't play Kings of War, it doesn't matter if I tell you 8th will still be played for exactly seven years and three days.

Exactly. I really hoped the apparent death of WHFB would bring up some really interesting discussions and people showing their own progress in trying other games. So far it has been mostly "Kings of war looks like WHFB". Of course there are people who already played it, and those who will like it having had the incentive to look elsewhere, but it's hardly the only other fantasy game.

HelloKitty
16-07-2015, 13:23
It (KOW) is to my knowledge the only mass combat fantasy game on the market right now. There are a lot of fantasy games but most of them are not at the unit level, they are skirmish level and/or very low model count games which is very different than what WHFB was and the people that liked WHFB for that cannot find a suitable replacement other than through KOW at this time.

Wishing
16-07-2015, 13:47
Like Pacman above, I'm finding this to be quite liberating. GW has essentially relinquished ownership of the WHFB gaming experience.

Not that they ever had that ownership, except in the minds of the customers. :)

Wishing
16-07-2015, 13:58
Since we are talking about KoW, are the Basilea supposed to be the Empire? Who is that Elohim angel guy supposed to be?

zoggin-eck
16-07-2015, 14:13
It (KOW) is to my knowledge the only mass combat fantasy game on the market right now. There are a lot of fantasy games but most of them are not at the unit level, they are skirmish level and/or very low model count games which is very different than what WHFB was and the people that liked WHFB for that cannot find a suitable replacement other than through KOW at this time.

Fair enough, for "on the market right now" most are either skirmish as in Song of Blades size or somewhere between like Lion/Dragon Rampant, Reaper's rules and God of Battles. I guess I'm still surprised at the "must be current and sold in my local shop" feeling you often see on this forum, but if that's the case and matters, KoW fits the description.

For mass battles (some single based, some multi-based) that aren't too genre specific (like the "Wargods of" games), there are always: Armies of Arcana, Hordes of the Things, Legions of Battle, No Quarter, Fantasy Rules!, Conqueror: Fields of Victory. Fan games like One page Fantasy. Long OOP games like Fantasy Warriors, Fantasy Warlord, Battlesystem and various "15mm rules" that scale up easily like Mighty Armies, Mayhem, Use Me Fantasy etc. Same with various historical games with either vague enough unit entries or fan-made lists like Hail Caesar or Blackpower variants.

Malagor
16-07-2015, 14:23
*coughs* Warthrone *coughs* which is a mass combat game and is on the market and even stated twice. :p
Already has Vampire Counts for it, the rest of the armies will follow soon.

HelloKitty
16-07-2015, 14:29
I guess I'm still surprised at the "must be current and sold in my local shop" feeling you often see on this forum

Thats been a pretty significant piece of gamer culture pretty much forever unfortunately.

*coughs* Warthrone *coughs* which is a mass combat game and is on the market and even stated twice. :p
Already has Vampire Counts for it, the rest of the armies will follow soon.

My mistake. I've never heard of the game except for in passing on forums once in a while so it slipped my mind, but where I am if Kings of War can't find any players and it is literally everywhere in everyone's face now, I doubt that I would be able to recruit for Warthrone.

Really let's face it... the success of a game is rarely on the merit of its rules and pretty much solely on the size of its player base. Gamers are very reluctant to pick up games that no one else plays. I have a shelf with a dozen great systems on it that I can't find players for or anyone to spend money on that show that, and it sucks but is what it is.

Thats one reason I've thrown my lot in with Age of Sigmar and spent time helping shape our comp packet to make it fun.

Bede19025
16-07-2015, 14:37
This. You'll end up playing whatever everybody else plays.

I was playing 8th last night and talking to my opponent about it. We both felt quite liberated by the fact GW have drawn a line under 8th. We're off the GW treadmill now. We've got several armies and all the books, we can just play 8th indefinitely now with a few house rules to fix the obviously broken bits. 8th could be around for a very long time at our club.

Reasonable attitude. Maybe the hysteria over AoS is dying down.

zoggin-eck
16-07-2015, 14:40
Thats been a pretty significant piece of gamer culture pretty much forever unfortunately.

Eh, guess it's a case of spending more time on other forums, not Warseer. I've read more reports on the games I've mentioned than Kings of war lately. As you've said, it means nothing when your immediate group doesn't play other games. Warthrone looks fun enough, but not something I have the patience for or would get enough out of.

Bede19025
16-07-2015, 14:45
. I guess I'm still surprised at the "must be current and sold in my local shop" feeling you often see on this forum.

I've been mostly a historical miniatures gamer over my gaming "career" and the "not current and sold in the local shop" is normal- with the exception of Flames of War, i guess. As a result I've found it hard to understand the hysteria crwated by a "dead" , "unsupported" game.

Griefbringer
16-07-2015, 16:05
Long OOP games like Fantasy Warriors, Fantasy Warlord, Battlesystem

I have no idea what happened to Fantasy Warlord, but the Fantasy Warriors rules are still available as PDF on em4miniatures website:

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Fantasy_Warriors.html

Unfortunately that scan quality leaves something to be desired, and they do not seem to have the Companion supplement that was published at some point. I have both the original printed rulebook and Companion supplement in my bookshelf. Lots of interesting ideas, though I think some of the rules could have done with more tweaking.

There was also supposed to be coming out a second edition of Fantasy Legend rules by the Black Knight Games, though I don't know if that has ever materialised.

big squig
16-07-2015, 17:01
Well I can't speak for others, but it's because I like KoW. It's a very tight game. I actually had already quit WHFB for KoW.

Ayin
16-07-2015, 20:27
I suppose there is also the possibility of GW, some time later, releasing a 9th ed like the 8th but tidied up a bit in terms of balance and playability... Or GW going broke and selling off it's WFB IP to another company, maybe Mantic, who will then revamp it.

Nope. Not likely in the next decade. Banish thoughts of a mythical 9th or GW selling off it's Fantasy IP.

The lure of warhammer is as much the fluff as the rules. KoW and others can easily make better rules but it takes a lot of time to build up a fresh set of original fluff and some of us don't want fresh fluff we want the old fluff.

You've...got the old fluff? It's in the books. What you need is people to play and rules to use. You can easily embrace or ignore fluff as you choose.

big squig
16-07-2015, 22:26
The lure of warhammer is as much the fluff as the rules. KoW and others can easily make better rules but it takes a lot of time to build up a fresh set of original fluff and some of us don't want fresh fluff we want the old fluff.
To be fair, what's stopping you? I quit WHFB for KoW, but I still use my WHFB armies and in my mind when I play, it's still in the old world. I don't even know mantic's fluff. I dropped WHFB for KoW just before all this end times stuff started. For me, none of that ever happened. I've been happily playing in the warhammer setting since then. And being that all my regular KoW opponents are doing the same, it's like WHFB never went away, just got cleaner.

Wishing
17-07-2015, 08:40
I quit WHFB for KoW, but I still use my WHFB armies and in my mind when I play, it's still in the old world. I don't even know mantic's fluff. I dropped WHFB for KoW just before all this end times stuff started. For me, none of that ever happened. I've been happily playing in the warhammer setting since then. And being that all my regular KoW opponents are doing the same, it's like WHFB never went away, just got cleaner.

That's exactly what I mean by players owning the game and doing what they want with it. Everything GW releases is optional, and you can take it or leave it. Kudos. :)

samael
17-07-2015, 09:00
Already preparing for 2, 8th edition tournaments for the coming year, and planning a lot of games with my mates, none of whom are making the swap to aos. We ARE checking out KOW and Warthrone as alternatives but that was already on the books anyway. All in all 8th is doing fine for the immediate future ( at least the coming year) . And I have good hopes for the time thereafter. I can not say the same for GW getting any money out of me ever again on the other hand, I will give my hobby cash to companies that don't treat their loyal customers like dirt from now on. But that's another discussion

zoggin-eck
17-07-2015, 12:50
Unfortunately that scan quality leaves something to be desired, and they do not seem to have the Companion supplement that was published at some point.

Grenadier have the companion up:

http://www.grenadier.it/fantasy-warriors-ruleset.php

Pretty sure Fantasy Warlord had an attempted crowd-funding, thought I can't find the link.

Fantasy Legend is one I've never read. I have never been sure if it's worth ordering and paying postage blindly. :)

Sam!
17-07-2015, 13:53
I know that myself and the five chaps in my gaming group are carrying on with 8th. We are looking at trying out some games of KoW aswell given the new rules are out soon and the book is about 25, we get a whole new game with full rules and army lists, so why not? But we will be playing 8th for a long long time for sure.

Age of Sigmar is ugly to look at model wise, the battles look ugly and messy, the rules are ugly and the prices of the models are ugly. I can't see anything other than a complete flop, but maybe I'm wrong.. what do I know?

Griefbringer
17-07-2015, 14:02
G
Fantasy Legend is one I've never read. I have never been sure if it's worth ordering and paying postage blindly. :)

I have a copy that I picked from FLGS discount bin once upon a time, but I have actually tried playing it, so cannot comment how it plays in practice.

I have also got some other long OOP rules sets that I have picked from various places during the years that I should try at some point - like Bladestorm.

But back to the original topic, I have a feeling that there will be still people playing WHFB 8th edition in 2030, maybe even 2050.

Zywus
17-07-2015, 19:28
I have a hard time seeing 8th edition last actually.
Even though people had many problems with the rules, the fact that they were "the official ruleset" made it a natural base to work from. Now tournament organisers are, in a way, more free coming up with modifications but the game has lost that base of "legitimacy".

It's rather weird as we were of course always free to make any modifications we wanted but somehow we want there to be an official rule-set somewhere. Even if said ruleset is then modified. (I'm sure there is some kind of psycological or legal-philosophical analisys that would be applicable here :p)

Perhaps some modified version of 8th will be so unanimously accepted that it gains a similar status of officialdom (I think The Swedish Comp community is working on something for exemple). But I rather think people will gravitate to a ruleset that has an official active version. KoW looks like the frontrunner at the moment and Warthrone could take off if people prefer a more intricate rules system reminiscent of the older WHFB editions.

Commissar Vaughn
17-07-2015, 23:46
Aint seen 8th played around these parts for a long while. My last game must have been within a couple of months of its release. Theres talk of occasional 3rd ed games being played in the area but I've not seen it myself. Have only spoken to one chap who thinks AOS is worth getting and thats so he can play simple games with his young sprog. No other edition of Warhammer seems to be gaining any interest (even though Ive championed 3 of them around the local club myself, with no takers!) . The two fantasy games in regular use here seem to be KOW and Fantasy Warriors. I havn't had chance to have a proper go at either but I will do soon. I suspect KOW will be the winner of the two for most folk.

ScruffMan
18-07-2015, 00:02
Aint seen 8th played around these parts for a long while. My last game must have been within a couple of months of its release. Theres talk of occasional 3rd ed games being played in the area but I've not seen it myself. Have only spoken to one chap who thinks AOS is worth getting and thats so he can play simple games with his young sprog. No other edition of Warhammer seems to be gaining any interest (even though Ive championed 3 of them around the local club myself, with no takers!) . The two fantasy games in regular use here seem to be KOW and Fantasy Warriors. I havn't had chance to have a proper go at either but I will do soon. I suspect KOW will be the winner of the two for most folk.

Despite being a supporter of AoS I hope that this means a mass ranked battle game by another company rises. GW could do with the competition to be frank and it would be for the best to us consumers to have both options too, the short, simple, fluffy campaign driven warhammer or the more tactical, balanced KOW (for example). You could even have armies that you use in both outside of GW stores.

Okuto
18-07-2015, 03:59
Already ditched 8th, went back to 6th;)

Chicago Slim
18-07-2015, 11:23
I think that one of the major questions is how vigorously GW will defend its now-abandoned IP from incursions by its fanbase.

Previously, GW was pretty serious about cracking down on fans posting copyrighted materials (fair enough, IMO), and the 8th ed rulebooks *are* of course still under that same copyright, despite being out of print-- so, reprinting the existing rules will remain illegal, and GW will be by their rights to continue their previous crackdown policy. No complaints in any of that.

But GW also has some rights over the Old World more generally. I wonder if they'll tolerate "fanfic" storylines, and/or fan-written rules variants. In my perfect world, HammerWar 9 becomes a consensus-driven, CC-licensed ruleset for playing "a fantasy game of war with miniatures" over the next year or two, while GW shrugs and says, "Yeah, you can do what you want with the things we used to sell."

Tokamak
18-07-2015, 11:26
I think that one of the major questions is how vigorously GW will defend its now-abandoned IP from incursions by its fanbase.

Russian websites have got this one covered ;)