PDA

View Full Version : AoS Lore question: do we know if Sigmarites have mortal faces under their masks?

Carnelian
16-07-2015, 13:11
Hi

I have done some lore reading but not all of it.

I want to model my Sigmarites with un-helmeted space wolf heads but only if Sigmarites are actually supposed to be human (or human looking) under their armour! - I want to make sure I roughly stick to the fluff.

I know Sigmarites are old heroes who are turned into super-humans and ride thunderbolts but do we have any information (perhaps from the first AoS Black Library book) about whether they have muscles and skin and faces under the masks, or what they get up to when they are not fighting? Do they need to eat? etc

Can I model them with bare faces and still be coherent with the fluff?

Any info from someone who has read more than me is welcome!

Clewz
16-07-2015, 13:47
The lord relictor is unmasked but he's from the dead realm

Zbrojny
16-07-2015, 14:23
The lord relictor is unmasked but he's from the dead realm

According to the "Gates of Azyr", that's also a mask. The book suggests that they have "normal" faces, but I don't have it with me to give you a quote. But some peace of lore somewhere also suggested that Sigmarites are "strangely changed" when they return to Azyr after dying.

If you look here: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-PL/Age-Sigmar-Box-ENG (need to turn it to a specific angle), you can see that Relictor is wearing a mask.

EagleWarrior
16-07-2015, 15:51
Are we sure they're all human? Wouldn't it make sense for Sigmar to recruit from dwarves and elves as well as men and the massively beefifying transformation process leaving them looking pretty similar from the outside? An option is using a range of heads from different places to represent their various backgrounds.

M'ichal
16-07-2015, 15:54
No, they are "superhuman". It's somewhere at the beginning of the AoS primer. They are "reforged" heroes of the Old World.

EagleWarrior
16-07-2015, 16:04
Superhuman just means better than human, it doesn't mean they have to have started as human. The definitive superhuman in popular culture, Superman, was never a human. Also many of the humanoid heroes of the old world on the side of order were elves or dwarves. They are further from humans in shape than humans are from elves or dwarves, and all those races are part of the big fight against chaos. Why would Sigmar limit his recruitment pool?

Jind_Singh
16-07-2015, 16:19
They are human

In the Novella "gates of Ayzr" after the major battle some liberators find a small group of human refugees

One of the liberators unmasks himself to show them that he too is human

The story explains how after the destruction of the Old World fragments were floating in the void - including the core of the planet.

The core is infused with metal and Magic - and acts as a lodestone, attracting spirits of the vengeful dead

This includes man slain Gods - and Sigmar

Sigmar is awake - and is able to forge a new realm on a new plane of existence

He finds survivors of the aftermath, as well as spirits that were drawn to the core, and the free people's wage war across 7 realms - after many battles they secure peace and prosper for millennia

However old habits die hard - and one by one the factions start going their own way, some violently so (like Greenskins!) and thus the realms are torn apart from within and without - Chaos is able to overrun the divided lands and eventually Sigmar is forced to retreat to his realm - sealing the realm gates - but as he retreats for the final time he plucks worthy warriors from their realms and transports them to his refuge.

They undertake a long and torturous reforging - many perish - but are finally, and painfully, reborn as Storm Cast Eternals

They have fragments of memories prior to their reforging, and have been infused, partially, by the spirit of Sigmar

They are human in the broadest sense now

The special character on the dragon cat was the last leader of a free people's tribe on Ayzr - and was chosen by Sigmar

His arch-nemesis was Krull, the Chaos Lord, from the starter set

The BSB is some kind of Undead hero who serves Sigmar - and has secrets we are not privy to yet

woodster17
16-07-2015, 16:58
The Relictor is the most interesting character of all. He revives a Retributor that has died, mentions Nagash to Khorgos Kull along with some debt that he owes Sigmar. He also shouts 'Shyish' (wind of Death) when casting a spell which withers a monster. Quite interested as to who he is to be honest!

Carnelian
16-07-2015, 17:25
... old habits die hard - and one by one the factions start going their own way, some violently so (like Greenskins!) and thus the realms are torn apart from within and without - Chaos is able to overrun the divided lands and eventually Sigmar is forced to retreat to his realm - sealing the realm gates - but as he retreats for the final time he plucks worthy warriors from their realms and transports them to his refuge....

NICE!

That is the coolest explanation I've read yet. I didn't really like the explanation in White Dwarf that Sigmar "just turned his back on the realms". It's a bit cooler that the realms started to fall apart and he was forced to retreat.

Also, from what you have written it is not inconceivable (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sLhnDJJn0) that there are "Sigmarites" from other races, if Sigmar picked the best warriors.

But I will certainly be at least one squad of mine with beefy man heads

Hooray!

Buddy Bear
16-07-2015, 20:24
The Relictor is the most interesting character of all. He revives a Retributor that has died, mentions Nagash to Khorgos Kull along with some debt that he owes Sigmar. He also shouts 'Shyish' (wind of Death) when casting a spell which withers a monster. Quite interested as to who he is to be honest!

Could it be Krell?

BattleofLund
16-07-2015, 21:30
Could it be Krell?
Surely not?! In life Krell was a Chaos Champion of Khorne, and definitely not a magic-user.

Hands off, Sigmar!

Buddy Bear
16-07-2015, 21:34
Surely not?! In life Krell was a Chaos Champion of Khorne, and definitely not a magic-user.

Hands off, Sigmar!

In life. In death he went on to serve Nagash and faced the End Times warring against Chaos with everything he had.

Sothron
16-07-2015, 21:37
They are human

In the Novella "gates of Ayzr" after the major battle some liberators find a small group of human refugees

One of the liberators unmasks himself to show them that he too is human

The story explains how after the destruction of the Old World fragments were floating in the void - including the core of the planet.

The core is infused with metal and Magic - and acts as a lodestone, attracting spirits of the vengeful dead

This includes man slain Gods - and Sigmar

Sigmar is awake - and is able to forge a new realm on a new plane of existence

He finds survivors of the aftermath, as well as spirits that were drawn to the core, and the free people's wage war across 7 realms - after many battles they secure peace and prosper for millennia

However old habits die hard - and one by one the factions start going their own way, some violently so (like Greenskins!) and thus the realms are torn apart from within and without - Chaos is able to overrun the divided lands and eventually Sigmar is forced to retreat to his realm - sealing the realm gates - but as he retreats for the final time he plucks worthy warriors from their realms and transports them to his refuge.

They undertake a long and torturous reforging - many perish - but are finally, and painfully, reborn as Storm Cast Eternals

They have fragments of memories prior to their reforging, and have been infused, partially, by the spirit of Sigmar

They are human in the broadest sense now

The special character on the dragon cat was the last leader of a free people's tribe on Ayzr - and was chosen by Sigmar

His arch-nemesis was Krull, the Chaos Lord, from the starter set

The BSB is some kind of Undead hero who serves Sigmar - and has secrets we are not privy to yet

Do they come from Macragge or do they recruit from other worlds too?

BattleofLund
16-07-2015, 21:54
In life. In death he went on to serve Nagash and faced the End Times warring against Chaos with everything he had.

I would assume Nagash exerted his influence. Not much free will when you're a Wight. Anyway, about the using magic? Did Krell become a magician during the End Times too?

lbecks
16-07-2015, 21:58
In a lot of the art they have eyes. They're probably like space marines under that armor. With extra organs and stuff.

GramercyRiff
16-07-2015, 22:50
In a lot of the art they have eyes. They're probably like space marines under that armor. With extra organs and stuff.

Yeah at first I thought they were robots or golems but with some form of free will. But they indeed are depicted with human eyes in the art so that was a wrong assumption.

Jind_Singh
16-07-2015, 22:54
Nope they are human - just infused with the will of Sigmar.

No mention at all of genetic changes - other than being larger and stronger.

Monolithika
16-07-2015, 22:59
Could it be Krell?

Arkhan is the more likely candidate, given he yearned slightly to be free of Nagash's yoke.

Or even possibly Vlad, in some new post-vampiric state...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bearded one
16-07-2015, 23:11
There's a man-sized poster in my local GW of one of the sigmarines, and on it you can see his eyes (and tiny bit of surrounding skin) through the mask's eyeholes.