PDA

View Full Version : Using Stormcast Eternals in 8th Edition

Col.Beefeater
16-07-2015, 23:16
Unlike a lot of others out there I actually think the Stormcast Eternals are pretty good looking models (though I will probably swap their heads with either Greatswords or Bretonnian Knights). Since your base and formation doesn't really matter in Age of Sigmar I'd like to stick the Eternals onto 25mm square bases to make them usable in 8th Edition as well.

So the elephant in the room for anyone that has purchased the Eternals is of course, do they fit onto 25mm bases with a bit of clever positioning and modeling?

2nd onto rules and fluff. My initial thought is to just use WoC rules for them, and allow them to ally into any order army. A few like the winged dudes will need custom rules, but for the most part regular warriors/chosen/skullreapers/blightkings/etc should work fine. Is this something you would be OK playing against if I make clear what each model type is prior to the game?

For fluff I will keep it quite simple, some-such about how the not-Stormcasts are composed of the spirits of slain Battle-Priests who were just too pissed off to end their fights against Chaos purely because they died. Their spirits continued on fighting in the Warp (hence why nobody has ever seen them), and they have physical bodies from the Wind of Azyr made manifest. The events of the End Times and destruction of the Vortex has enabled them to finally return to the Old World and kick some Chaos-ass.

Thoughts?

Ayin
16-07-2015, 23:35
Sure.

I mean, people have made their own space marine, Tyrannid and Fimmir rules to play with their buddies, if your friends want to do it, go for it.

taurus-marstein
17-07-2015, 02:12
You'd probably want to go with 40 mm bases, and start by using putrid blightking rules (just replace the special rules with other stuff, replace mark of Nurgle with "chosen of sigmar" or something)

40-50 points per model sounds about right.

GrandmasterWang
17-07-2015, 04:26
I don't see why you cant use them on their round bases in 8th. Ive never had a problem bringing units like that (round bases) into WHFB.

25mm squares will be a struggle.

Id say leave them on round that way you can use them in AOS, 40k or Warhammer Fantasy.

Regarding their rules, in my Chillhammer group we count them as stubborn Empire Captains as this was the best fit. The stats are representative and they have 2 wounds each.

So basically in 8th they are a super elite infantry army which is what they are in AOS.

The one change stat wise is that like AOS they have movement 5

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ayin
17-07-2015, 04:48
If you're serious on converting them, they come in a box with basically Khorne Warriors/Chosen and Khorne Marauders, their stats shouldn't be hard to figure out from there.

If they seem a bit odd to you, I encourage you to check out Monstrous Arcana, where a few liberties are taken with the standard GW rules on what counts as I/MI and what their stats need to be. It's perfectly fine to have a W2 Monstrous Infantry character, for example, or one with only 2A basic, and the same goes for normal infantry. Do what seems appropriate judging from the box, ere on the side of caution, and try it out with your friends.

Col.Beefeater
17-07-2015, 06:39
I don't see why you cant use them on their round bases in 8th. Ive never had a problem bringing units like that (round bases) into WHFB.

25mm squares will be a struggle.

I was afraid the 25mm square would be tricky, but my autism demands that if I'm playing one army with squares my other army has squares too. Also I prefer the ranked look too messy bl blobs of troops. I guess that leaves me two options, A) to put them on 40mm bases and right rules for them from the ground up instead of just modifying chaos rules/points or B) do them in groups on 50mm bases, most likely 3 to a base. The added benefit here is that it would stretch the models into larger units.

GrandmasterWang
17-07-2015, 07:16
I was afraid the 25mm square would be tricky, but my autism demands that if I'm playing one army with squares my other army has squares too. Also I prefer the ranked look too messy bl blobs of troops. I guess that leaves me two options, A) to put them on 40mm bases and right rules for them from the ground up instead of just modifying chaos rules/points or B) do them in groups on 50mm bases, most likely 3 to a base. The added benefit here is that it would stretch the models into larger units.

25mm man they are bigger than black orcs.... frustration awaits if you go that route.

Also 3 wouldn't fit on a 50mm... maybe 2 per 50mm or from what you have posted I think 40mm squares would probably work best for you.

At 40mm you can use either the Empire Captain OR the 40mm Chaos infantry rules as a base. Given they are "lightning incarnate" lol I'd give them "immunity to stomps" or something.

How big are the units going to be? It's just that ranked up as infantry the back rank RAW are stuck on 1 attack each which plebs out larger Sigmarine units.

For example with the Deathshroud (30k Nurgle special terminators) in 8th/Chillhammer they are 100 points a pop with Strength 5 killing blow attacks due to their scythes, Empire Captain stats exactly, stubborn, 2+ armor save. I run a regiment of 5 on their round bases, 3 up front, 2 behind. Of course like house ruled units should be they are not competitive however really fun to play and do a good job representing their background on the battlefield. As a concession to make them 'useable' they are unstompable despite being infantry and the back rank gets their full 3 attacks in the way monsterous infantry would. Also unless hit by a killing blow or something that ignores armor altogether they always get a 5+ save regardless of the Strength modifier.

In the next couple of days I should be play testing a unit of 5 Sigmarine Liberators with almost identical rules. 80 points each points cost. Movement 5 however due to their Warscroll and the seem more nimble than space marines. This is for a unit of 5 liberators with hand weapons/shields. 2+ armor save but with a parry due to their shield. 3 Strength 4 attacks due to their captain stats. Unstompable and 2nd rank gets their full 3 attacks. They can reroll parry saves of 1 due to their Sigmarite shields and when facing monsters and Lord level characters they get +1 to hit to represent their background per their warscroll.

Hope some of that is of some use. Please feel free to try their WIP Chillhammer rules. If anyone does give them a shot in 8th with the rules I posted please provide some feedback.

Cheers and pics pleaseonce you make your regiment!!

Griefbringer
17-07-2015, 08:18
One suggestion already posted last week was to mount them on 40 mm square bases and use ogre rules for them.

GrandmasterWang
17-07-2015, 12:40
Ogre rules imo don't fit their background at all. Low WS, movement 6, low armor, stomps and gut charges imo make Ogre rules a poor substitute for Sigmarines. I definitely agree with the 40mm bases though.

EagleWarrior
17-07-2015, 12:56
I'd never have any problem with someone using existing rules to proxi in some well made models. I'd know it was balanced perfectly fair. Homebrew rules I'd be ok with if it looked like they were doing it to better represent a cool idea. I say go for it. :)

Shandor
17-07-2015, 13:09
Just to prox them sounds boring in my opinion. Would be kinda cool if there woould be an fan made Army book for Sigmarines for the 8th edition. I would not play them myselve but it could be fun to play against them.

Xerkics
17-07-2015, 15:01
Just use profiles of various chaos warriors because essentially that's what they are and they got same profiles as chaos warriors in aos anyway.

sephiroth87
17-07-2015, 15:47
I actually think your best bet is Ogres. With 2+ save monstrous cavalry, core models that use 40mm bases, and multiple attacks, I think you'll get better mileage out of them as ogres than you would with chaos warriors. Unless you're willing to put one sigmarine on 2 chaos warrior bases, which is also possible. I don't think the blightkings do well at all due to them not being monstrous infantry.

Col. Tartleton
17-07-2015, 17:55
Based on their AoS rules they're basically just Chaos Warriors. I'd give them the smallest base possible.

GrandmasterWang
17-07-2015, 18:31
Based on their AoS rules they're basically just Chaos Warriors. I'd give them the smallest base possible.

Thats not true at all.

Chaos Warriors are much weaker. The "Blood Warriors" in the AOS box set are much more powerful. More powerful than Chosen in fact. For this reason each has been blessed with a rune of Khorne.

Ayin
17-07-2015, 21:56
yeah...

They are AoS Chaos Warriors. They might be objectively better than some 'for fun' rules put out for the last games mini's so you can use them in the new system, but the Khorne guys in the AoS box set? They're Khorne Warriors/Chosen in AoS.

Vulgarsty
18-07-2015, 02:06
I vote for using the new multi wound nurgle/khorne multi-wound, non-monstrous, non-character infantry as a template. multi wound non-monstrous RnF have been seen before (3rd ed beastmen had two wounds)

40mm base, 2-3 wounds, 2-3 attacks, vulnerable to KB & stomps, 40 odd points

Vazalaar
18-07-2015, 07:21
I made 8th edition rules, check my signature. I still need to playtest it though.

Vulgarsty
18-07-2015, 11:40
I made 8th edition rules, check my signature. I still need to playtest it though.

Very good. I'll pinch them unchanged

Tokamak
18-07-2015, 12:23
Khorne Wrathmongers seem the most likely proxy ruleset.