PDA

View Full Version : accepted tactic or powergaming?

inq.serge
05-07-2006, 10:38
i have heard that gunlines are powergaming, but im thinking to make an imperial army with mostly cannons, mortars, hellblasters, handgunners, engineers, steamtanks, some free companies and most of all, pistolers.

but i wont put them on a line, insead, i want to have lots of small handgunner units, sorta 10 man. and put them in two ranks. i want 4, 8, 12 or anything dividable on 4 (this tactic fits more in big battles, especialy megabattles).

and i want two have them in 4 unit platoons, with 1-4 cannons/mortars.

and put one unit in the front, facing forward, one on each flank, facing away from the middle, and one unit in the rear, facing backwards, and put the cannons/mortars (and some engineers) in the middle. this will become a box formation, a extramly defensive formation. they will mostly stand in the middle of the battlefield, and be defensive. the problem is how to move them into the middle of the field.

and i want a lot of pistolers and other light fast cav. they will stand near the boxes, waiting for the enemies to weaken, and then, a massive charge with the majority of the cav. or eaven better, charge in the beginning.

this army will be weak in cc and extreamly unprotected in magic, but i expect the strategies and tactics to win the day.

the army will be mostly napoleon inspired.

is this powergaming, or is this an OK army?

Neknoh
05-07-2006, 10:46
Dont take a STank and don't take any mages, that way, you will tone down the cries of cheese a lot

sigur
05-07-2006, 12:47
Tough to say.....I still believe that it's kinda min-maxed and goes in a powergamer direction. It just doesn't sound like a really innovative army theme to me while using the gunline. If you want to play in the Napoleonic era, there are many very good tabletop games/cosims to that topic out there.

gukal
05-07-2006, 13:28
Offer to play random scenarios and/or objectives (there are new cards available on the GW site for this purpose). People hate the gunline because it is a no-brainer fight with you just rolling buckets of dice to see who wins.

With some armies, unless you build specifically to defeat a gunline, you run the risk that you'll never be in the game. Pure gunlines risk being unable to complete battlefield objectives (capture and hold; breaththough; etc) that don't involve simply annihilating enemy troops. These effects will balance out.

- Gukal

sephiroth87
05-07-2006, 14:32
It's a bit powergamerish, but so what?

If you're a nice person and play with courtesy, no one really notices your list that often. And the Empire Gunline isn't the end-all, be-all of lists. So build it and learn to win with it.

inq.serge
05-07-2006, 14:36
how dangerous are gunlines actualy?

i played once (2000PTS) and massacrated the whole army (the funniest thing was when his alchemist threw molten silver on my oldblood, who deflected it with his shield, killing the wizard)

sigur
05-07-2006, 14:44
Actually, it's not about the danger such a list poses, it's just mightily bland and boring to play and to play against.

ebolatheripe
05-07-2006, 18:11
Many people may cry cheese but I say keep the steam tank, and have no wizards. Without the steam tank and Pistoliers you will have nothing to move around and that would constitute a boring game for you and your opponent.

Latro
05-07-2006, 18:25
Problems you'll run in to:

- Very hard to move to the centre, deploy in your defensive formation and still have time to shoot at the enemy before they reach you (impossible might be a more accurate description).

- The formation you plan to use will prevent the warmachines from providing accurate support fire. The handgunners will block line of sight to most (if not all) of the enemy which prevents the warmachines from shooting.

- A large part (50-75%) of you handgunners will be facing away from the enemy and can play no role in stopping the attack. The small part that can shoot at the attackers will have no chance in stopping them.

... it won't work.

:cool:

Saxon
05-07-2006, 23:28
It will depend on w'ho who play - I've played against these sort of lists and I must admit its not too fun to just march forward removing models as you go. However this form of army, while innovative with the box idea, will quickly become a gunline pure and simple when you realise that facing units to the back is a waste of time
You army is by its nature defensive which is good if you're playing an opponent who wants to attack, but if you come up against another shooty, defensive list that can out-shoot you (chaos dwarfs, dwarfs and WE spring to mind) you'll suffer pretty quickly
The joy of the empire list is that you can make a very flexible list using all the different unit type.