PDA

View Full Version : To those feeling nostalgic for the old world

Shogunate
18-07-2015, 20:51
So after the sadness of seeing GW crush the old world under its capitalist boot, and then seeing the Total Warhammer trailer, I had the strongest urge to play Warhammer Online.

Then I remembered it died :(

Then I found out it lives!

There's a website called returnofreckoning.com; it has links to a client and uses a private server to run the game. Just thought I'd share, as I suspect I can't be the only one with old world nostalgia overload at the moment.

Longstrider
19-07-2015, 02:36
Good call. I enjoyed WAR when it vame out. Unfortunately my friends didn't stick with it, but I thought its art and flavour were quite good.

jet_palero
19-07-2015, 03:18
The new Total War Warhammer should hit my WFB button as well. Its looking pretty good so far. WAR came out when I was stuck using a crappy laptop, and sadly by the time I had a good PC it was already pretty much dead. Real shame, I liked DAOC a lot as well.

Col. Tartleton
19-07-2015, 03:31
The only negative I'll give for Return of Reckoning is thats its still very work in progress. As far as I know they only have tier 1 (one fourth of the content) working and even that is still in development. Not that reverse engineering (and to an extent fixing) an MMO isn't an incredibly ambitious project.

It'd probably be easier to make a new game, but thats just me talking out of my ass. I just know that Age of Reckoning was really a mess on that end which is why they had so many problems getting things fixed and probably why it never got finished and were trying to use game assets to make a MOBA and other inane ideas that never went anywhere and eventually EA killed the game even though it was profitable because it wasn't a good use of personnel and resources (i.e. Not profitable enough for future investments.)

Sothron
19-07-2015, 06:30
I played WAR pretty much from closed beta all the way to the bitter end. It is sad that they finally had a lead dev that was doing great things with the game and got the RVR balance right but it was in the last year or so of the game. If WAR had that balance and those ideas at the beginning the million plus that initially bought it would have mostly stayed.

Shogunate
19-07-2015, 07:23
The only negative I'll give for Return of Reckoning is thats its still very work in progress. As far as I know they only have tier 1 (one fourth of the content) working and even that is still in development. Not that reverse engineering (and to an extent fixing) an MMO isn't an incredibly ambitious project.

It'd probably be easier to make a new game, but thats just me talking out of my ass. I just know that Age of Reckoning was really a mess on that end which is why they had so many problems getting things fixed and probably why it never got finished and were trying to use game assets to make a MOBA and other inane ideas that never went anywhere and eventually EA killed the game even though it was profitable because it wasn't a good use of personnel and resources (i.e. Not profitable enough for future investments.)

Tier 2 was released last month (http://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4238). It does seem like a tough job, but it's nice to know they're still making progress!