PDA

View Full Version : Please help! RULES querey

DoubleDark
20-07-2015, 20:30
I posted this in the introduction forum, but I have no clue where that has gone and I dont think anyone will read it so im VERY sorry for the re-post!! :? But I really need help to clarify this!

Hi, I have been playing a lot of Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition recently, specifically against one of my friends who plays Skaven. I personally play dark elves and we are relatively well matched, however I have a huge gripe with one unit which I do not believe we are using it correctly. The unit in question is the Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon. My opponent fields two everygame and they seem to wipe out about 400-500 point per turn, considering they only cost 90 points this feels very unbalanced.

Here are the rules we play them by:

My opponent rolls an artillery dice to determine the strength (between 2-10) no problems there

My opponent then chooses a place within 60" of the cannon to fire at, again no problems there

Then my opponent rolls a artillery dice to see how far it goes and how far it bounces. As we have been playing it; we use a small blast template that travels from the hit to the bounce hitting everything in its way at a random strength (between 2-10) that has no armor saves and causes D6 wounds.

This is where my problem lies, the way we play my opponent can hit through a large unit of spearmen potentially hitting 20-25 then passing through hitting another monster or chariot dealing D6 wounds.

Can someone help me with this, are we playing the rules right? I mean potentially this cannon can can hit at strength 10 with no armour saves causing D6 wounds + shooting through potentially a whole block of men. Please help!

3eland
20-07-2015, 21:14
That is not how you use the WLC,

First pick a point on the table and roll the artillery dice, this is how far it goes off course. If you roll a misfire consult the chart.

Then roll the artillery dice to see how far it bounces and the strength of the shot. If you roll a misfire nothing happens and the shot is lost.

Then the small template is placed only after it lands at its final destination. Think of it as a ball that bounced and then once done it explodes.

It then works like a cannon, hitting one model per rank and any model under the small blast after it "explodes". These models take a strength X hit (where X is your roll) and cannot take armour saves.

Remember that unsaved wounds are multiplied to D6, however a 1 wound model cannot take more than 1 wound and so wounds won't spill over to the rest of the unit. That is usually only meant for multiple wound models (like Ogres).

DoubleDark
20-07-2015, 22:53
Thanks for the reply that has really cleared things up, I mean the way we were playing then was very broken. Thanks again for the help! :D

EagleWarrior
23-07-2015, 12:49
Yeah, that's not at all how you're supposed to use it and would be very overpowered. You're supposed to only place the template once for the explosion and not sweep through units. :)