PDA

View Full Version : I Am Slaughter (Abnett)

Spellfire
20-07-2015, 21:22
Not seen this one mentioned anywhere, Amazon have a new book listing for Dan Abnett, apparently due for release this December and set in M30 (don't know if it's a HH novel).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1784960543/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1437426984&sr=8-1&pi=CB192561891_AA75&keywords=I+am+slaughter

Does this mean The Warmaster has been pushed back even further?

Also, Amazon has listed a while bunch of other forthcoming novels not yet on BL like the Silver Skulls novel and the next Yarrick.

Scribe of Khorne
20-07-2015, 23:27
I believe I saw this is about a huge Ork force, that threatens the galaxy? The Beast or some such?

DarkChaplain
21-07-2015, 03:44
Yarrick: Pyres of Armageddon has been released via BL themselves in May already, though only now as hardback via other retailers. Silver Skulls: Portents was released late last year (I believe) as ebook via BL.
Most of what is still listed on Amazon are really just reprints, though.

And yes, I Am Slaughter is, for some reason, more important than Penitent or The Warmaster. Who knows why. But seeing that I Am Slaughter is part one of a trilogy/series, I won't touch it with a ten meter pole, considering how Abnett's last few went. Could've just waited a year for the paperback of Pariah, or three years, considering the sequel still isn't even on the horizon...

Nazguire
21-07-2015, 03:52
WTF is happening at Black Library. Goddamn it. New books announced are great - a pity it seems most are continuously pushed back over and over.

DarkChaplain
21-07-2015, 13:01
Not like they announce many new books these days. Usually just limited editions, novellas and endless reprints...

HaSY
06-12-2015, 03:30
2016 will be the year that BL will have lots of releases.

DarkChaplain
06-12-2015, 17:16
I wouldn't bet on it. Their output has shrunk significantly, and even if they pump out books, they'll be hardcovers at high prices for barely half the content we used to get. Nevermind that quality has gone way downhill due to the forced product tie-in nonsense.

Nazguire
07-12-2015, 10:24
I wouldn't bet on it. Their output has shrunk significantly, and even if they pump out books, they'll be hardcovers at high prices for barely half the content we used to get. Nevermind that quality has gone way downhill due to the forced product tie-in nonsense.

^^ What he said.

Black Library has had GW corporate fully sink its teeth into it. Don't expect the quality to rise any time soon, nor the output or value for money. The days of BL and FW being those cool subsidiaries that were sorta able to follow their own plan are gone.

MajorWesJanson
14-12-2015, 05:08
Wasn't there some rumor that the Tie-In stuff was going to be spun off into something like GW publishing, and BL would be allowed to return to more speculative stuff?

blackcherry
14-12-2015, 10:45
That may have been the plan at some point, but even if it does, the speed of GW bureaucracy means it could take years to come into effect.

Considering GW sold off the old subsidiaries like Black Sun (responsible for Judge Dredd and 2000AD spin off titles that Rebellion now own and are making serious moolah off of) years ago because it was too much work running both BL and them, I can't imagine GW wanting the extra work of running BL and it's own arm of publishing separate from BL, but that does pretty much the same thing.

Fen
14-12-2015, 12:19
Wasn't there some rumor that the Tie-In stuff was going to be spun off into something like GW publishing, and BL would be allowed to return to more speculative stuff?

Gav Thorpe said it if i'm not mistaken,so i'd take that as more than rumors

P.s:

Given ongoing/ forthcoming structural changes, that's not going to be quite the same thing in the future. While it's going to take some time for everything to shake out again, the GW Publications bit will be concentrated on main releases and support (so the kind of thing we're mostly seeing at the moment) while BL will be returning to a more 'deepen, broaden the worlds based on the miniatures games' sort of approach. How or if this will affect scheduling, branding, etc, I have no idea.

The quote

RobC
17-12-2015, 09:46
Considering GW sold off the old subsidiaries like Black Sun (responsible for Judge Dredd and 2000AD spin off titles that Rebellion now own and are making serious moolah off of) years ago because it was too much work running both BL and themBLP used its Black Flame imprint to publish a number of tie-in series, which initially included 2000AD-related titles. (I think the rights had reverted to Rebellion before Black Flame was closed; incidentally, Rebellion has owned 2000AD since 2000). The closure of Black Flame and Black Industries (which was just about to release the phenomenally-successful-for-an-RPG Dark Heresy) and sale of Solaris in 2008 was as much about management retrenchment as anything else - another of GW's periodic purges of anything deemed 'non-core'.

I'll be very surprised if BL returns to its previous approach, but if Gav's saying it, who am I to doubt?

duffybear1988
17-12-2015, 09:52
I remember talking to Dan years ago and way back then he was talking about starting work on Interceptor City (the follow up to Double Eagle). With The Warmaster pushed back year after year and no sign of the Pariah sequel I'm starting to lose hope. Would it kill them to finish the series they already have running before starting up new ones? It's half assed like everything else at GW these days.

Damn poor show.

DarkChaplain
17-12-2015, 10:00
From what I gather, I Am Slaughter and the whole Beast Arises series have been in the talks and making for quite some time. At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Abnett had finished the "novel" a year or two ago when he still did actual writing for BL...

Killgore
17-12-2015, 11:05
From what I gather, I Am Slaughter and the whole Beast Arises series have been in the talks and making for quite some time. At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Abnett had finished the "novel" a year or two ago when he still did actual writing for BL...

ADB posted this on B&C about a week ago

"Yes and no. Remember, what you're seeing now is the result of stuff that happened in 2013 and 2014, you know? The Beast Arises, was planned in 2012 and 2013, and Dan wrote the first book in 2013. The release schedule you've seen in the last year is the result of 2013 and 2014. And so on. There've been experiments and tests for new releases and new formats and all kinds of stuff in a fluctuating industry; even down to something as fundamental as shifts in BL's place in the book trade. All of that's fairly public, obviously, with BL's change in focus in terms of releases and all that jazz.

There's a lot I can't/won't say, but I've not been this psyched and happy for BL to be publishing my stuff in ages. A couple of years, at least. Things up ahead are looking great."

Makes sense that GW can confidently plan a 12 book series with a release every month if the content was finished some time ago.

DarkChaplain
17-12-2015, 13:24
I don't think the whole series is done as of yet, though. Otherwise the whole confusion with Throneworld wouldn't have happened, for one (Guy Haley's writing it, it was supposed to be Laurie Goulding at first, then seemingly Ben Counter. All three variants were sent to Amazon for covers). There's also one entry on Amazon that is still missing an author.
I'm also not sure David Guymer's novel has been finished last year. He was looking into Imperial Fists fiction just a few months ago, taking recommendations even.

While Abnett's book was done in 2013, I doubt all of them were, and some might not even be done now.

But then I've also heard rumors of BL sitting on a whole bunch of WHFB stories they never got to release because of The End Times and Age of Sigmar, so... I really wouldn't count on anything with them anymore. Judging from the HH calendar, it doesn't even seem like the books they announced 2 years and more ago are finally going to release in 2016. The Crimson King, Dreadwing, Angels of Caliban, the next Death Guard novel... All as lost as the missing Primarchs at this point.

Spellfire
20-12-2015, 11:14
I'm surprised people aren't making more of a deal about the length of this book - it cost more than most non BL large novels and is a shorter length.

malika
20-12-2015, 20:29
I doubt we'll ever get The Warmaster or Pentinent, unless they'll become Space Marine bolter pr0n books... :(

veterannoob
21-12-2015, 14:25
I'm surprised people aren't making more of a deal about the length of this book - it cost more than most non BL large novels and is a shorter length.

I'm just happy the audio pricing is more in line now: $30 for 5-6 hrs audio than $40 or even $50 for same amount. That's kept me from any AoS audio books. But, yeah, I was also surprised at how "short" these will be.

Duke_Leto
24-12-2015, 07:08
Was not going to buy it until it came out in paperback but...needed my Abnett fix!

Read it. Loved it. Typical Abnett and a great scene setter for the series. Would have loved more political intrigue and less battles but hey is is WARhammer I guess! Shame this is a long novella/short novel - BL seem to have a trend going (a return to the shorter novels of the early era).

In two minds whether I will buy the rest in hardback or wait for paperback. Depends on reviews.

veterannoob
24-12-2015, 08:09
Does the hardback come with any special features, like cast of characters or any art inside the book? I only picked up the audio for this one. Thx

Raga88
24-12-2015, 09:52
Does the hardback come with any special features, like cast of characters or any art inside the book? I only picked up the audio for this one. Thx
No. There's nothing extra in it.

veterannoob
25-12-2015, 14:02
By the way the reason Amazon had the wrong covers for Throneworld was a miscommunication when Amazon takes the covers for its very long lead time. As of November it sounded very much like two authors were finishing touches on their books to come out this late summer.