PDA

View Full Version : Casting the heresy

It's also a hammer
21-07-2015, 06:48
Hi random bit of fun.

were Hollywood ever to make movies (or HBO) style T.V series of the heresy who would play who?

my own possibilities:

Rogal Dorn - Daniel Craig

Jaghati Khan - Jason Mamoa

Angron. - Jai Courtney

Ferrus Mannus - Michael Fassbender

Nighthaunter- Tom Hiddleston

Vulkan- Djimon Hounsou

Not a complete list but just to get the ball rolling

Mawduce
21-07-2015, 07:30
Hi random bit of fun.

were Hollywood ever to make movies (or HBO) style T.V series of the heresy who would play who?

my own possibilities:

Rogal Dorn - Daniel Craig

Angron. - Jai Courtney

Ferrus Mannus - Michael Fassbender

Vulkan- Djimon Hounsou

Not a complete list but just to get the ball rolling

No Daniel Craig. Dude acts like he's too good for things these days. James Bond went to his head.

GrandmasterWang
21-07-2015, 08:41
I would hate that honestly TC. Those puny humans would fail miserably as primarchs.

The only way I could get behind a HH tv series was if it was all CGI. That way they could do the primarchs justice.

Then the question is who voices the characters. ... I say Christopher Walken as Alpharius... just because :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kakapo42
21-07-2015, 12:52

You know I was actually thinking about this earlier today, and I thought Tom Hiddleston would make a pretty good Fulgrim myself.

I said it before the last time a thread like this happened, but I still think Joseph D. Kucan would make a pretty good Erebus.

09philj
21-07-2015, 14:38
Mark Rylance as Malcador the Sigilite. My first choice would have been Christopher Lee, but alas... I would also want Brian Blessed as Leman Russ, but he's getting too old for that kind of running and jumping. John Simm would be a good Magnus or Ahriman. Leonardo di Caprio is Sanguinius. Jake Gyllenhaal is Corax.

Denny
21-07-2015, 15:20
No Daniel Craig. Dude acts like he's too good for things these days. James Bond went to his head.

. . . So you're thinking he'd work as Horus?

Dr.Clock
21-07-2015, 15:59
Vulkan = Idris Elba PLZ

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Spiney Norman
21-07-2015, 16:30

So pretty much perfect for Guilliman then :D

Bill Nighy as Lorgar
Chris Hemsworth as the Emperor
John Rhys-Davies as Leman Russ
Sean Connery as Garro

A few of my legion favourites
Sean Bean as Argel Tal
Benedict Cumberbatch as Kor Phaeron
Richard Armitage as Erebus

Dr.Clock
21-07-2015, 16:50
@ Spiney Norman - Nighy as Lorgar... you are my hero.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

It's also a hammer
21-07-2015, 17:09
Would think Nighy would make a better Erebus with Cumberpatch as Lorgar and Charles (crossbow on the toliet) Dance as Kor Phaeron

It's also a hammer
21-07-2015, 17:13
Hugh Jackman as Russ?

Ian Mckellan as Malcador

I can see Richard Armatige as Lion El Johnson and maybe Luke Evans as Corax

Luke Goss as Fulgrim (Watch him as Nuada in Hellboy 2)

WolMan
21-07-2015, 21:38
Peter Stormare or Jason Statham - Angron

Steve Buscemi - Mortarion

Ron Perlman - Dorn

Jason Isaacs - Fulgirm

And I don't imagination :)

Spiney Norman
21-07-2015, 22:11
@ Spiney Norman - Nighy as Lorgar... you are my hero.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

The FW model even looks like him

Okuto
21-07-2015, 23:33

I'd strongly disagree, I like Mamoa, but just cause he played Khal Drogo, doesn't make him khan. I can see him in universe but not Khan, theres already plenty of mandatory white guys;) to appeal to mainstream audiences (Yes Mamoa is half Hawaiian but he looks nothing like Khan)

Tadanobu Asano(he actually played Gengsi Khan), Ken Watanabe, or Kang-ho Song come to mind.

As for Vulcan, I think Peter Mensah is the better choice as he's done more physical roles and his voice is perfect for vulcan

As for the rest of the cast, too pricey, Daniel Craig, Fassbender, Hiddleston are way too expensive for a HBO style show.

I think it'd be better if

Dorn- Ciarán Hinds

Mannus- Ray Stevenson

Night haunter- James Purefoy

Jason Isaacs - Fulgirm

Not pretty enough:p

Eddie Redmayne could easily do Fulgrim

Mellow
22-07-2015, 07:46
Tom Hiddlestone for Fulgrim. He's already played someone with a big ego in Thor. He'd just need to dye his hair white.

aim
22-07-2015, 12:24
Jai Courtney needs to be fed through a meat grinder, feet first, while still conscious, have his minced remains packed into a small rocket and fired into the heart of the Sun before anyone is forced to endure any further examples of his 'acting'.

I would be particularly disappointed were he cast as a Primarch.

ewar
22-07-2015, 15:13
Tom Hardy as Horus, he would smash that out of the park.

Bill Nighy is way too old for Lorgar, needs to be someone in their 40s tops.

Henry Cavill as Sanguinius perhaps.

God, if HBO gave the Heresy the GoT treatment I'd weep like a child with happiness :)

Shifte
22-07-2015, 15:26
Live action wouldn't work. CGI would be too expensive.

Animation, maybe?

inq.serge
22-07-2015, 15:35
If I where to cast the HH, I wouldn't use anyone famous for any of the primarchs. (Except Marco Khan as Magnus)

But If I had to, I'd say:

Magnus the Red: Marco Khan (Dream casting)

Hathor Maat: Ahmed Angel

Marius Vairosean: Till Lindemann (not sure)

Kallista Eris: Nicki Minaj

Lord Cypher: Charlie Sheen

Bequa Kynska: Emilie Autumn (She's basically made for that part, well, if she was 30 years older).

John Gramaticus: Ryan Gosling

Jangathai Khan: Tom Cruise (Only if I had to cast famous actors for Primarchs)

Tom Hardy and his mutant lips: No-where near a camera.

Horus Lupercal: Either me (if I where 15-30 years older and famous), My dad (If he was 10 years younger and could speak english (And still was famous) (He looks just like Adrian Smiths Horus)) or Avtandil Makharadze (if he was 30 years younger and a bit thinner. He would be perfect. ) If I where to direct, my Horus would have manners strongly inspired by the character Varlam Aravidze.

StraightSilver
22-07-2015, 16:14
For Russ it has to be:

Kristofer Hivju

ewar
22-07-2015, 16:50
Live action wouldn't work. CGI would be too expensive.

Animation, maybe?

We're talking complete fantasy production of the Heresy - you're telling me Peter Jackson or JJ Abrams couldn't make the most mind blowing live action Heresy movies? C'mon, they made Gandalf bigger than Frodo in 2001, they can make Horus look like a complete badass in 2015.

insectum7
22-07-2015, 16:56
We're talking complete fantasy production of the Heresy - you're telling me Peter Jackson or JJ Abrams couldn't make the most mind blowing live action Heresy movies? C'mon, they made Gandalf bigger than Frodo in 2001, they can make Horus look like a complete badass in 2015.

He did say "too expensive". Star Wars and LOTR can be made because they are guaranteed profitable. Horus Heresy doesn't have quite the same appeal to mass audiences.

But CGI gets cheaper all the time.

inq.serge
22-07-2015, 17:01
How about directing it? Who's gonna do that?

If I had to chose a famous director (which cuts out me), and who's still alive (Which Cuts out Sergei Eisenstein, Who would otherwise be the man for the job), I'd choose Lars Von Trier. I wouldn't let any director who ever made a superhero-film (or even attended a ComicCon) near it.

Unfortunately, Aleksei German (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ68bwBScRI) died recreantly, but I think he could have done real good visuals.

ewar
22-07-2015, 18:07
Peter Jackson for me, as he 'get's it' when it comes to capturing the mood of the LOTR books.

As it will never happen, either CGI or live action, worrying that one is more expensive is a fairly moot point :)

Dkoz
22-07-2015, 19:04
Directs would be JJ Abrams or James Gunn some of today's best directors have directed comic book movies and they are far superior to hacks like Von Trier.

inq.serge
22-07-2015, 22:52
Peter Jackson for me, as he 'get's it' when it comes to capturing the mood of the LOTR books.

But HH isn't anything like LotR.

Directs would be JJ Abrams or James Gunn some of today's best directors have directed comic book movies and they are far superior to hacks like Von Trier.

I would call Guillermo del Toro Good, but not great. As for JJ Abrams; No.

Those superhero-flicks feel, Lacking. They feel too smooth, too plastic, to simple, wanting, without the small nuances, but then again, their target audience probably doesn't care about such things. Might work for the Ultramarines, but the rest of legions need more texture, grit and feel. More Greek Tragedy then Hollywood heroes, More Stalker than Batman, More Apocalypse Now than Saving Private Ryan. Von Trier is better at that. Heck, I'm certain Sofia Coppola would make a better HH than those guys (Not that she's bad or anything; The Virgin Suicides is an awesome film).

Those superhero films have catchy puns and witty punchlines in their dialogues While the Horus Heresy has stuff like:

Adeptus Custodes After Psychicaly screening Magnus: We have to do that to see if you are whom you claim to be.
Magnus: Is anyone ever?

There's a difference in depth, and a lot of the depth that we so love would be lost in a Superhero-style treatment.

ewar
23-07-2015, 00:02
But HH isn't anything like LotR.

Huh?

In principle it's exactly the same: an epic story arc, rich background and well loved by a dedicated group of fans. No, it doesn't literally feature elves and hobbits, so you've got me there.

I also think you are massively overstating the depth and quality of writing of the heresy. It's pulp fiction at it's best, no better or worse than any comic book universe.

It's also a hammer
23-07-2015, 07:39
If anyone's seen the new "Ant Man" film then the guy who plays Darren Cross would make a good Horus if he buffed up more.

Also Viggo Mortenson for The Emperor

It's also a hammer
23-07-2015, 07:41
Jai Courtney needs to be fed through a meat grinder, feet first, while still conscious, have his minced remains packed into a small rocket and fired into the heart of the Sun before anyone is forced to endure any further examples of his 'acting'.

I would be particularly disappointed were he cast as a Primarch.

To be fair most of Angron's scenes wouldn't be requiring a lot of "acting"!

Tom Hardy? He could use his Bane voice...

"I was born in the Shadows!"

Corax: No I was,you were born in a sandy fighting pit!

Guillamin: Technically we were all born in a giant test tub...

All other 17 Primarchs: Shut up Roboute!

Spiney Norman
23-07-2015, 11:14
God, if HBO gave the Heresy the GoT treatment I'd weep like a child with happiness :)

Absolutely no chance, the Heresy at large has nowhere near enough scope for sex/nudity for HBO to take it on, maybe they could do a series exclusively following the Emps children ;)

Karhedron
23-07-2015, 11:33
Tony Todd (Candyman) as Vulkan.

Greavous
23-07-2015, 11:55
definetly tom hardy.
vini jones?
bruce willis (got that space marine bald head going)
brad pitt?
chris pratt

arnold schwarznegar as the emperor! (just for fun)

It's also a hammer
24-07-2015, 07:50
definetly tom hardy.
vini jones?
bruce willis (got that space marine bald head going)
brad pitt?
chris pratt

arnold schwarznegar as the emperor! (just for fun)

And as Dorn looked down at his crippled and mortally wounded father, he thought The Emperor was trying to speak...
"Father, what is it?" Asked Dorn, desperate for anything that could save The lord of The Imperium
The Emperor seemed to mutter something but he was so near death that even Dorn's advanced hearing couldn't distinguish the words.
"Father, please speak up; tell me, what is it?" Pleaded the Primarch, desperation filling his voice.
The Master of a Mankind looked deep into his champion's eyes and spoke one final phrase...
"I'll be back!"