PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think GW will continue to sell 8th Edition for?

GrandmasterWang
21-07-2015, 13:17
8th Edition and all the 8th Edition ebooks are still being sold on the Itunes store.

Imo this is a good thing as it means gamers can still buy and get into 8th Edition and its various armies.

AOS is now of course also available to purchase on the Itunes store.

I personally hope the 2 Warhammer 'Fantasy' games continue to exist side by side as they do now as the more options for gamers the better.

Do you think GW will ever stop selling 8th Edition, the 8th Edition army books and the End Times books?

If so, when?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

HelloKitty
21-07-2015, 13:24
They've already stopped selling them physically in their stores and had their indy stores pull the books so - I wouldn't expect the 8th ed stuff online to last long.

Herzlos
21-07-2015, 13:32
They probably just forgot it was up for sale there and it'll be taken down when they notice.

Unless there's some iTunes term forcing them to keep it on?

As far as GW are concerned; 8th Ed doesn't exist. By January, as far as they are concerned, it never existed.

EagleWarrior
22-07-2015, 15:53
They probably just forgot it was up for sale there and it'll be taken down when they notice.

I suspect this is the case. It really isn't in their interest to encourage people to ignore AoS and keep playing 8th, not to mention the customer ill will from new people who buy 8th ed stuff they think is current, only to find it isn't being supported.

taurus-marstein
22-07-2015, 15:57
They don't want to confuse their new customers. So better to completely annihilate the old, and start over.
They want our money, but they care more about aquiring the new player, the player who was too intimidated by the old WFB, to come start an AoS army.

Shandor
22-07-2015, 15:59
Well since in some stores its not even allowed to play Oldhammer anymore...

IcarusRising
22-07-2015, 16:49
I sincerely hope someone new to the hobby doesn't see the WHFB 8th Edition book on iTunes and buys it without knowing it won't be supported anymore. That would be devastating for a new player without a bank full of funds for the hobby to drop that amount of cash on a book that just "Hasn't been taken down yet". If that happened to me as a first impression I probably wouldn't continue playing... :(

GrandmasterWang
22-07-2015, 19:53
There is no way GW "forgot" about all of the 8th edition stuff they are selling, that is just ridiculous. The people who put AOS publications onto Itunes are probably the same people who put up all the 8th publications (ie same department/division). Black Library now distinguishes between Warhammer AOS and WHFB on their site so they are still selling 8th books.

I personally hope GW keeps selling 8th Edition and all its publications forever but discounts them heavily.

It does seem however that the main 8th rulebook is cheaper than it was originally though? Its cheaper than an army book.

8th is complete (unless you wanted Hard Cover books for Brets, Skaven and Beastmen. ... all of which are perfectly playable in 8th) What more "support" would you have expected 8th to get before the inevitable 'new' edition?

Whirlwind
22-07-2015, 23:07
I wonder whether it is more to do with the risk of people asking for refunds. If they take the books of iTunes and you can't reinstall the books then I'd assume you'd be entitled to some form of compensation as you no longer have access to the 'goods' you've bought.

GrandmasterWang
23-07-2015, 02:49
I wonder whether it is more to do with the risk of people asking for refunds. If they take the books of iTunes and you can't reinstall the books then I'd assume you'd be entitled to some form of compensation as you no longer have access to the 'goods' you've bought.

Ah that could well be it. Seems like a plausible explanation.

In that case they will stick around :)

MagicAngle
23-07-2015, 05:10
The blurb in the iTunes store for all the 8th ed books has been updated with:

"The World That Was is no more, but the battle continues... Warhammer Orcs and Goblins is designed for use in Warhammer The Game of Fantasy Battles. That games system is no longer supported, but this title remains available for those who want to recreate the epic battles of the lost world. To continue the war against Chaos in the Mortal Realms, check out Warhammer Age of Sigmar."

Looks like the books going to be staying around for the moment. Nevertheless I purchased all the Warhammer:Battlefields supplements just in case.

Interestingly it's the only place I'm aware of Games Workshop even mentioning WHFB since the glorious dawn of AoS. I guess it's essentially free for them to keep stocking the titles in the iTunes store, so from their perspective, what's the point of taking them down?

Mawduce
23-07-2015, 06:51
The big issue with rule books is you can get them off the internet without paying for them anyway. That's why I'm happy GW is making rules free straight out the door. It shows they have some understanding of the market they are in. Which is a positive. One positive among few.