PDA

View Full Version : Conversion

B-Rod85
22-07-2015, 13:53
Can I use grey knights bits for my chaos marines?

Morrslieb
22-07-2015, 14:24
I don't see a reason why you couldn't, I've been building DA assault marines with blood angel wings and grey knight swords and wristmounted bolters without complains from other players (the opposite actually). I'd stay away from iconography and explain what they are if they aint WYSIWYG though. It's your army and you decide how you build it.

B-Rod85
22-07-2015, 14:43
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to acronyms wysiwyg?

B-Rod85
22-07-2015, 14:44
And how do u use those in a game the sword with wrist mount?

Dr.Clock
22-07-2015, 16:15
'What You See Is What You Get' - wysiwyg...

The trick with significant conversion projects is to be consistent in your application.

Using a power-armour bits on a guy in power armour and using him as a guy in power armour is not in any way a problem. Even using some non-power-armour bits makes sense for Chaos, as various pieces of armour can be stripped over time without replacements being available... and it's completely appropriate for Chaos to have 'scavenged' armour pieces.

Heck - my Khorne Daemonkin are like 90% Imperial bits, because they actually used to be an Imperial force... I've taken the time to carve up all the clearly imperial icons, though, even to the extent of inscribing most of my dudes' shoulders with Khorne symbols. They are now in fact known as 'The Inscribed', among other things (DOOM WEASELS FOREVER).

You WILL start getting some grumbles, however, when wargear choices are not appropriately modeled or easy to pick out of units. This is mostly the case only for weapons, however, and there are some ways 'around' it.

Most people won't really mind if you simply say 'all weapons of type X will count as weapon type Y throughout this army', as long as the weapons are of a similar type. I don't mind much if my opponent uses flamers as plasma guns, or meltas as flamers, as long as it's consistent army-wide; if you want to play the list a certain way without taking the time and effort to actually acquire the right wargear, then you should expect to have some kind of opportunity cost. Want all your melta to be plasma? Sure... but now you don't have ANY melta guns... because now I can't 'see' what is what. I do this with powerfists pretty routinely, as I like the look of them, but prefer the mechanics of power-axes. Both strike at I 1, so mostly people don't care as long as I'm up front about it and don't try and switch it around mid-game.

If your opponent has to remember what each unit is armed with, that's a bad sign - wysiwyg is the 'gold standard'... anything outside of that is at your opponent's discretion really.

B-Rod85
22-07-2015, 16:33
Lol thanks how do u use the wrist bolsters in the game would u use them how the grey Knights use them

Dr.Clock
22-07-2015, 16:36
Unlikely - Grey knight wrist bolters are storm bolters... there's no way to use that many of them (or any, actually) in a Chaos army.

I could see grey Knight storm bolters are being a good base to convert up some sonic blasters, or even 1k Sons 'magical ammo bolters', however. Again - consistency is the most important thing.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

totgeboren
22-07-2015, 18:22
Yes you can definitly use GK bitz for your CSM army. Almost all my Terminators are based on GK termies, and my Terminator Lord (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Daemons/2013-03-03002830.jpg) even got a GK Incinerator to count-as the Burning Brand relic.
I use lots of Forge World marines (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Daemons/2013-03-03002453.jpg), some loyalist bitz (especially Black Templar bitz (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Daemons/2013-02-28014150.jpg)) and even some Dark Eldar bitz (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?191618-My-Traitor-Guards&p=6873361&viewfull=1#post6873361) and Chaos Dwarves (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Daemons/PICT2699.jpg)!

You can do a lot with Chaos but as Dr.Clock said, the golden rule when it comes to using odd stuff is that it should be super clear to your opponent what your conversion is just by looking at it. If you need to explain to them what your model represents, you might have crossed the line of what people think is ok. Your army should really only include say one or two models that need an explanation (like my Chaos Dwarf to the right in the last linked pic is a Warpsmith with a Burning Brand, which is rather clear as soon as I say it, but might not be immediately obvious to someone who has never seen the model before).

B-Rod85
22-07-2015, 19:13
Ok thank u for the info and thank u for explaining everything to me

Morrslieb
22-07-2015, 22:46
Lol thanks how do u use the wrist bolsters in the game would u use them how the grey Knights use them

Since GK swords are twohanded I use wristmounted bolters from the same box for "count as" bolt pistols since they are equipped with such. All this for the rule of cool.

TaddleMunkey
23-07-2015, 12:32
I don't see a reason why you couldn't, I've been building DA assault marines with blood angel wings and grey knight swords and wristmounted bolters without complains from other players (the opposite actually). I'd stay away from iconography and explain what they are if they aint WYSIWYG though. It's your army and you decide how you build it.

Interesting choice I was actually thinking of kitbashing the same thing with the wings and the Helmets for the DA assault squad. Do you feel like DA assault squads are really worth their salt though?

WarsmithGarathor94
24-07-2015, 12:43
Quite alot of my Noise Marines and nearly all of my chosen started out life as loyalists before i turned them

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk