Here is a recent list I've been digging up (get it?) models for:

LORD

Tomb King - Ogre blade, Armour of Destiny, shield

High Liche Priest - dispel scroll, extra level

HERO

Tomb Prince - great weapon, Glittering Scales
In chariot

CORE

3x Skeleton Archers - x10 (the High Liche Priest goes in one of these, centrally placed)

Skeleton Chariots - x8, FC

SPECIAL

Tomb Guard - x29, FC, Halberds

Warsphinx

RARE

Necrosphinx

Casket of Souls

Heirotitan

Now, the plan is for the Tomb King to go in the Tomb Guard and advance up the centre, flanked to one side by the Necrosphinx and Warsphinx and the other by the Skeleton Chariots.

The 3 Archer units go behind this battle line, with the Heirotitan squeezed in to either side of the Tomb Guard behind the Chariots.

Casket of Souls hangs at the back and does it's thing.

Questions - I toyed with the Sword of Strife for the Tomb King as he will contribute more attacks that the Tomb Guard otherwise don't have access to. Defensively I also toyed with the Glittering Scales and a potion of strength in this combo.

What other combinations do people enjoy on Tomb Kings? Fencer's blades with glittering scales? Sword of anti heroes? Simple sword of might? Blade of Antarhak?

The Prince is adding combat power to the Chariots. However, perhaps he'd best be swapped with the King? Do the Chariots even need said Prince?

Ayin
22-07-2015, 19:07
I do not play Tomb Kings and have not read the book in some time.

I like your army, I can very much see the older King advancing with his royal guard while his young son leads the chariots.

Is it worthwhile to try and give your Prince equipment that benefits the unit as a whole? The 6++ vs Warmachines could save a chariot from a cannonball for example. Additionally, being that your chariot group is, of course, all about the charge, would equipping your character with one use only defensive gear possibly serve him better?

Ahnarras
22-07-2015, 19:32
My personnal TK has the helmet that force opponent to reroll successfull wound, and the 4++ ward. It make for a near unkillable character. But i don't tend to win toward wounds, i use sword & shield with lot of rank and i try to win by static CR.
I suppose your TG are in horde formation, so it will be more than enough to kill nearly anything. You do want your king to survive, and he won't do that with only the armor of destiny (at least he won't against everything worthy enough to justify to use a TG horde + king).

Prince are not needed in chariot. They boost WS only to the A of the crew, and that's not much (chariot count on impact hit anyways). TP on chariot is more a "fluff" thing, not a good idea.
If you do use 9 chariots as you plan to do, it could be a good idea, as the prince will add some worthy A for a long combat. But if you plan to grind your opponent, chariot aren't the answer : they are more hit & forget.

Captain Idaho
22-07-2015, 19:35
Quick reply thanks.

I forgot to mention I got the Dragonbane Gem on the King and potion of foolhardiness on the Prince (hard charging - 4 attacks on the charge).

What sort of alternative item do you recommend on the Prince? A simple Dragon Helm on the Prince to keep him alive longer?

Sword of Might, Dragon Helm, shield for a safe 3+ save, S5 Prince?

Alternatively, the Sword of Might on the King could save points and he's still S6 ;)

Thanks for the compliment. My gaming group plays moderately competitively but with an eye on theme and cool. Hence all the monsters and Chariots.

Captain Idaho
22-07-2015, 19:41
My personnal TK has the helmet that force opponent to reroll successfull wound, and the 4++ ward. It make for a near unkillable character. But i don't tend to win toward wounds, i use sword & shield with lot of rank and i try to win by static CR.
I suppose your TG are in horde formation, so it will be more than enough to kill nearly anything. You do want your king to survive, and he won't do that with only the armor of destiny (at least he won't against everything worthy enough to justify to use a TG horde + king).

Prince are not needed in chariot. They boost WS only to the A of the crew, and that's not much (chariot count on impact hit anyways). TP on chariot is more a "fluff" thing, not a good idea.
If you do use 9 chariots as you plan to do, it could be a good idea, as the prince will add some worthy A for a long combat. But if you plan to grind your opponent, chariot aren't the answer : they are more hit & forget.

Ah right I see.

I toyed with Trickster's Helm and a 5+ ward, alongside the Sword of Might. Is that survivable enough do you reckon? As I've not had much experience outside T3 Elves! Lol

Problems I see with that is the lack of killing power if I go 4+ Ward and Trickster's Helm, as affording a Magic Sword is out of the allowance. A simple Great Weapon in this case?

So save points on a Prince for a Necrotect in the Tomb Guard? Makes the King's unit killy for sure.

***oh I had an idea - King - Armour of Silvered Steel, Talisman of Preservation and the Biting Blade. 100pts on the nose. Keeps a healthy -3 saves and is dead survivable.

Ahnarras
23-07-2015, 17:55
Armour of SS and a 4++ is a good combo, a little less powerfull than mine (as reroll to wound is the exact same effect than a 2+ AS, but mine keep a 5+ AS in top of that), but he will still survive.
A great weapon is my choice, and a good one. With S7 he is strong enough to deter any monster/charact that can't outright kill him. And he has the -3 AS too, he just lack magickal attack.

Necrotect is a good choice to make the unit more killy, indeed. Make sure that he is still alive when you it (armour of SS and a luckstone must be the best way, but other compo are good, like fencer blade and opal amulet, or armor of destiny...).

For the prince, i would recommand not to take him, keep those 150pt to buy 3 more chariot and have 2 unit. Or even better, some necropolis knight.
But if you want to use it, the dragonhelm is the cheap way to give him a chance to live (don't fool yoursel, against anything with high S, he's a dead undead).
If you want him to be ultra tanky, armor of destiny is a good choice.

I don't tend to bring the 2++ against ward. First because not everyone bring fire to the battlefield. And more important, because everyone assume that we do have this on your royals. So they never hit us with flamming, as they are sure that we will survive.
Saving 5pt is always good in a TK list which need every single pt to win :D

And for the "killy character" question : it's not that you don't have the good item combo. It's just that you don't have the good army. We will never be able to make a killy character, like a vampire or elven lord. But our royals are the best to buff unit. That's why they need to stay here.

(don't misunderstand me : if you are playing against a normal opponent, a WS6/S7/4A TK is good. But if you are playing against a nurgle prince demon or stuff like that...)

Captain Idaho
25-07-2015, 12:45
Great advice. I'm implementing it now and will provide an update.

Ayin
28-07-2015, 06:20
Yeah, I'm going to second a Great Weapon. As soon as you start building an already tough and low(er) initiative character for survival, you may as well go Great Weapon and go all in. One concern with mundane weapon characters is that your army might lack enough Magic damage to adequately deal with certain situations, but with pretty much only Vamps having that now and a unit of Tomb Guard, it's not such a big issue.

Captain Idaho
28-07-2015, 10:11
I can't get past the Armour of Silvered Steel instead of the Trickster's Helm. It's not just cheaper, statistically speaking it appears to give more protection.

Except against lower S attacks (3) that you actually get a 5+ save against.

Ahnarras
28-07-2015, 11:33
On a T5 character, armour of SS and Trickster's Helm do the exact same thing, % wise. Except that TH give a 5+ armor save on top of that.

S3 : 1/6 chance to miss armor with SS / 1/6 to wound with the reroll
S4 : 2/6 ; 2/6
S5 : 3/6 ; 3/6

And so on.

IMO the Helm is far better, as it grant the 5+ against low A and a way to escape high S attack (like a canonball, that could always miss his reroll on a 1 but would have pass the armor).
It also protect against all the spell or attack that ignore armor save, and are pretty common today.

The only time the armour of SS is better is when you are against poisoned attack, i think.

ewar
28-07-2015, 22:36
Also, killing blow can be a problem with tricksters helm - it's happened to me once or twice where a roll of 4 or 5 gets another shot at the magic 6 :)

I would still always recommend TH + Protection for a Tomb King, honestly S7 is just fine. I like your list, it's fluffy but not completely weak. I think you will definitely benefit from a light mage instead of a prince. Or have you considered running Arkhan instead of a King? He is a fantastic caster (level 5 death mage with hierotitan!).

I have a great conversion for a royal in chariot but it's really taken for the fluff/rule of cool as they don't really bring anything apart from cost to the unit. I would also suggest that 29 TG can die pretty easily, I tend to run mine at 35 minimum with necrotect. However I know you're a bit short of points.

If you take the 'tect, leave him naked except for charmed shield, this will normally be enough for him to survive. Stick him at the end of the unit. Generally the worst he'll face is 6 attacks, 3 or 4 hit, lose one from charmed shield and then hes T4. I find mine rarely dies and many opponents forget to allocate attacks against him (even in tournaments).

Good luck!

Captain Idaho
29-07-2015, 13:07
I think I'll go Trickster's Helm. I'm sold on it as it's different to many of my usual Elven choices (t3 doesn't give much benefit to forcing rerolls!).

I so fancy a Light Mage. In fact, I might even drop the Necrotect just for a Light Mage.

I'll chop and change. I'm very happy with how different this army feels to High Elves and it's got big monsters that have T8!

Ahnarras
29-07-2015, 13:26
Light do work well with TK, as we are slow and low WS, but you already cover the WS part with the king.
I prefer our lore : it's weaker than some lore as he doesn't have a "roll 6 dice, win the game, go take a cold beer" spell, but ptra do wonder with archers/sphinx, the additionnal movement is huge, and neru is huge on halberd TG.

For the helm, people usually notice the normal blow that become a fatal blow. But you can have the inverse : a fatal blow that transform into a normal blow (or even better, a miss). I wouldn't really take that into account, as it's more a matter of luck than anything else.