PDA

View Full Version : Are Sisters worth the risk?

Knight Ace
22-07-2015, 19:30
I have been toying with the idea of Sisters for quite a while now. But is it worth the risk starting them? I was going to use their rule-set and build myself the Frateris Templar (the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy pre-Vandire). However, they will change. Either they get Squatted or they get Dark Eldar'd (meaning a good make-over). Either way, things may change and things may be invalidated along the line.

Also, to make it abundantly clear, I will not buy a single Sisters model. Frateris Templars were all male, so obviously this wouldn't work anyway. I have a kitbash of Scions, Marines and some Fantasy models planned out and ready to go. It is quite a bit of work though. This is about whether it is worth putting the effort for an army, that would follow the Sisters' rules as they currently are.

Do you think it is still worth the risk going ahead?

Beppo1234
22-07-2015, 19:44
if you're just gaming, then no, they are not worth the risk.

if you are a collector/painter-modeller/gamer, then yes, IMO they are well worth it. Most of the sisters line is still superior to most of the current plastics and they're not really subject to scale creep. They are fantastic models.

Knight Ace
22-07-2015, 19:53
That's all fine, but I have written above that I will scratch-build the entire army and not buy a single Sister model. Would that change anything of what you just said?

Beppo1234
22-07-2015, 20:01
nope... so what you are doing is an Ecclesiastic Scions force (because it is not abundantly clear)?

Knight Ace
22-07-2015, 20:04
Basically. Sisters' rules, alternate models, basically. While you could argue, that I would be better served with IG, I would reply that I feel a bit intimidated by the amount of models that would require, even for a hybrid list.

A.T.
22-07-2015, 20:04
The sisters rules are not really suitable for the frateris who were (from what little information there is) mostly carapace armoured elite in a guard-style force. Tempestus scions or renegades with enforcers (without the daemonic stuff) would probably be a better match.

If you want to use the sisters rules but not the models though you have little to lose if they are squatted since their equipment is very limited and generic. Only counts-as repentia would be difficult to transplant to another army.

Beppo1234
22-07-2015, 20:08
indeed, a scions force would work better rules wise, just with more emphasis on the ecclesiastic themes modelling wise.

Formerly Wu
22-07-2015, 20:10
I'd say go for it. It's likely the rules will change, but if it does, the kitbash you're describing could easily be used with other human armies like Guard, MT, Inquisition, or the Forge World planetary militia/cult list. The latter especially has very customizable equipment and a suitably archaic feel.

Knight Ace
22-07-2015, 21:28
I am simply a massive fan of the Ecclesiarchy and militaristic-religious orders. Sisters simply have the best rules for representing them. Guard and SM would be valid alternatives, but they do not really do that religious zealotry justice.

Mawduce
22-07-2015, 22:29
I have been toying with the idea of Sisters for quite a while now. But is it worth the risk starting them? I was going to use their rule-set and build myself the Frateris Templar (the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy pre-Vandire). However, they will change. Either they get Squatted or they get Dark Eldar'd (meaning a good make-over). Either way, things may change and things may be invalidated along the line.

Also, to make it abundantly clear, I will not buy a single Sisters model. Frateris Templars were all male, so obviously this wouldn't work anyway. I have a kitbash of Scions, Marines and some Fantasy models planned out and ready to go. It is quite a bit of work though. This is about whether it is worth putting the effort for an army, that would follow the Sisters' rules as they currently are.

Do you think it is still worth the risk going ahead?

Wait for Raging Heroes to come out with their models. You will regret not using them.

Greavous
23-07-2015, 12:35
they are already a few editions behind even if they get 'squated' just keep using them, doesnt look like they are getting an update soon so build away.
also you can proxy everything if you want noone can stop you, but it does seem abit sexist the way you wrote only wanting the male models.
'sisters' of battle

A.T.
23-07-2015, 12:55
This is about whether it is worth putting the effort for an army, that would follow the Sisters' rules as they currently are.It's probably worth asking what kind of army you envisage putting on the table, and at what competitive level.

Vehicles, blobs, allies?

Grand Master Raziel
23-07-2015, 16:19
Militarum Tempestus with priests and maybe some IG allies. The new Stormtrooper models seem like what you'd be looking for. Or, an IG list with Veterans as your Troops choices, but Militarum Tempestus seems like the way to go for what you describe.

Arthanor
23-07-2015, 19:15
I'm confused as to what risk you're taking... You're building an army that's already count-as, to willingly use rules you know are sub-par, and then you are worrying about it not working down the line?

Since you're already using count-as, you can keep doing that with whichever ruleset suits you as things evolve. Also, let's face it, sisters are unlikely to be updated, and even more unlikely to be updated into a state that's worse than their current one.

So to me you're really worrying about an insignificantly small possibility. The more worrying thing for me would be: After putting all this effort into converting your Frateris Templar, will it break your morale that the rules you want to use for them are so bad? But even then, you can always jump codex to another, stronger one. This is like building a "brown marines" army.. It's pretty safe.

Knight Ace
23-07-2015, 21:27
It's probably worth asking what kind of army you envisage putting on the table, and at what competitive level.

Vehicles, blobs, allies?

Good question. I have more of a concept rather than a concrete play style in my head:

Imagine a Cardinal World, a city that is a mix between center-European Gothic and Venetian architecture. This city has plenty of mighty towers. For example a Librarium, a building full of sacred tomes, where scholars discuss the nature of the Emperor on a daily basis and also dabble in other theological subjects, while scientists research their work or members of the military come to educate themselves on certain things. Other towers have astronomical relevance, they predict things like movement of celestial bodies, coordinate fleets, track warp storms and manage other things in space. Giant cathedrals can be seen here of there and tribunal towers where the necessary acts of judgement must be done in order to keep heresies from spreading. Orbital elevators that function with the help of gravity tethers can be seen moving between the planet, space stations or large ships. Some places can not be reached by usual means. Imagine at the top of a building is a door. It opens outside and a small bridge extends. It seems to lead nowhere, but then an Arcane Portal opens. A flickering field of energy, surrounded by circles with engraved holy symbols and texts.
A big trading hub has developed in this sector and gave this planet wealth unimaginable. Holy sites are scattered across the world and are visited by pilgrims from across the Imperium.

That is the world I am picturing. Maybe some Inquisitors have their base of operations there. Scholars arguing in massive halls. Archways that are being held up by statues of angels. Knowledge, wealth and faith combined into a jewel of the Imperium of Man.

A holy order is based here. They have the rulership over the sector and the planet in collaboration with the Ecclesiarchy and the elected planetary government. What was once a Knight House and the Fraternis Templar are now combined into a holy force of knights after Vandire's Reign of Blood.

Their Chapter House is located on this very planet. Access to it is only allowed on special occasions. Amidst their hallways there are statues of heroes and angels, but there are also sinister dealings deep down in the catacombs. Daemons are being captured, bound and questioned for information. Heretics are being apprehended. Only the most dedicated and faithful minds can live up to some of those tasks, but no price is too high to save mankind from the ruinous powers.

Basically Renaissance, knights, black powder and Gothic touches. As far as the army goes, I want moderate model count and I want to stay away from alpha strike. It loses too much steam in longer games. I want to win by outlasting my opponent in longer games. I value resilience above offensive power. However, resilience that is not achieves by hordes.

That is what I have in my head. I just thought Sisters' rules would work great because they are not SM but still more elite than regular humans. They have solid support characters and fun special rules. When played right, they have the potential to be destructive. But that are just my own musings. It may very well be the case that my choice is wrong, but that is why I am asking in the first place ;)

T10
23-07-2015, 21:49
Is not the reason why the Adepta Sororitas have boltguns and power armour, that the Ecclesiarchy is paying the Mechanicum exorbiantly for them, taking the full resources that before was spread thin among the Frateris and instead focusing on the decidedly elite sisterhoods?

But hey, it's a big galaxy with a big history, surely the Ministorium has had some sort of elite special forces that can be comparable to the Sororitas.

A.T.
23-07-2015, 22:16
As far as the army goes, I want moderate model count and I want to stay away from alpha strike. It loses too much steam in longer games. I want to win by outlasting my opponent in longer games. I value resilience above offensive power. However, resilience that is not achieves by hordes.That's basically going to be a sisters infantry force built around a jacobus blob (jacobus, 20 sisters, at least one priest with litanies - 400+pts).

You will want to proxy a few games with lists based around this to see if it's going to work out for you. We are still talking T3 models (nothing in the sororitas dex has more than T3) with 3+ armour and a 5++ invulnerable. And it's not a deathstar, it's a tarpit that will crawl up the board supported by heavy bolters and/or exorcist launchers.

bonertron
23-07-2015, 23:06
Wait for Raging Heroes to come out with their models. You will regret not using them.

... and people complain about GW prices! These models, and their terrible poses remind me of 10 year old GW metal models...

A.T.
23-07-2015, 23:38
... and their terrible poses remind me of 10 year old GW metal models...Sisters players wish their models were only 10 years out of date :p

(the current battle sisters, seraphim, veterans, jacobus, missionary, and all of the heavy and special weapons other than the stormbolter were released 18 years ago with the rest of the line closing on 12 years)

Beppo1234
24-07-2015, 00:13
Sisters players wish their models were only 10 years out of date :p

(the current battle sisters, seraphim, veterans, jacobus, missionary, and all of the heavy and special weapons other than the stormbolter were released 18 years ago with the rest of the line closing on 12 years)

and still awesome. And I like metal, lasts way way way longer than plastic minis.

MadHatter
24-07-2015, 01:53
I love the Sisters of Battle. They looked good then, had a great background and still do. Sure they could use some love. but an army will so little, has done amazing being a cult favorite in the Gaming Community.