PDA

View Full Version : Konrad von Carstein AoS Red Fury

kikibobo
23-07-2015, 22:00
I have a rules clarification for Konrad von Carstein's AoS "Red Fury" rule. Due to the fact that Konrad has two sets of attacks for his weapons, do I roll a die to see about pile in after all his attacks or after each weapon. As written, it says I roll after "any" attacks, but I think the intention was for after "all" his attacks. Otherwise, would I keep piling in after resolving a single weapon's attacks? Seems a tad silly to go as written... and a whole lot let useful of an ability

Is the confusion due to GW trying to avoid me counting multiple pile ins and get potentially endless attacks?

Basically, do I roll all 6, roll a die to see if its less than the number of models slain, rinse and repeat until I fail to kill enough models?

Thanks!

mhsellwood
23-07-2015, 23:32
I would look at the second sentence - you have to roll after determining the number of models he has killed in 'that phase'. So to determine your target number you need to complete all his attacks, determine the total number of models slain (note this is models, not wounds inflicted), then roll one dice against this and if you have roll less than the number of models killed you may pile in and attack again.

On the other hand, my reading is that this is a cascading process - i.e. you do all your attacks, you kill x models, you roll for Red Fury, if you succeed you attack again, test for Red Fury again counting all the models killed in the current phase etc. until you fail a test or kill all your opponents. This means that against weak units he will absolutely blend them, but against strong units (i.e. anything with multiple wounds and/or strong saves) he will be unlikely to get even a second round of attacks.

theunwantedbeing
24-07-2015, 00:20
It says...

If the result is less
than the number of models he slew in
that phase, he immediately piles in and
attacks again.

So you attack (with both weapons) then roll a dice and if the roll is less than the number of models he killed that phase (combat phase) then he gets to make a pile in move and attack again. So basically, as soon as you kill 7 models he insta-kills the rest of the unit (as it's impossible to roll higher than a 6 on a D6 he will always get another pile in from that point) and you place him somewhere within weapon range of whatever model your opponent removes last.

Looks to be an unintentional wording error in my opinion (this is GW, such things are hardly rare).

kikibobo
24-07-2015, 14:27
I would look at the second sentence - you have to roll after determining the number of models he has killed in 'that phase'. So to determine your target number you need to complete all his attacks, determine the total number of models slain (note this is models, not wounds inflicted), then roll one dice against this and if you have roll less than the number of models killed you may pile in and attack again.

On the other hand, my reading is that this is a cascading process - i.e. you do all your attacks, you kill x models, you roll for Red Fury, if you succeed you attack again, test for Red Fury again counting all the models killed in the current phase etc. until you fail a test or kill all your opponents. This means that against weak units he will absolutely blend them, but against strong units (i.e. anything with multiple wounds and/or strong saves) he will be unlikely to get even a second round of attacks.

Actually, it says you roll "after resolving any attacks from Konrad", not after determining the number he killed in that phase.

But I totally agree that he could potentially slaughter an entire unit if he gets enough early kills... actually in the bogged down fighting we see, he could slay 6 weaker models which allows him to eventually pile into a bigger model/unit that normally would be difficult and now he can have endless pile ins on it... Well I will either not be taking him or house ruling that so it only looks to how many models his slew during that last group of attacks.