PDA

View Full Version : Mannfred destroyed the enemy army by himself

Flaminghand
24-07-2015, 04:03
I just played my first game of Age of Sigmar. Were playing the Watchtower mission in the recent book. My opponent was using the contents of the Stormcast Eternals part of the starter set. I was using:

Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of the Night.
1 Necromancer
1 corpse cart
10 skeletons
10 zombies
8 Grave guard

Basicly what happened is that I used my magic to bolster my army greately. In the end it numbered about 30 skeletons and over 50 zombies. Not that it ended up mattering that much in the end because these units was so slow they got to the watchtower late. Mannfred however managed to charge the garrison turn one (Consisting of one unit of Liberators and the Lord Relictor) and managed to slaughter both at the end of the second combat round. Mannfred also fended of the assult of the Lord Celestant (Who rolled tripple snake eyes on his wound roll, lol). Mannfred killed the Lord Celestant as well, feaster of souls healing most of the damage he had sustained, just in time for the charge of the units of Prosecutors and Retributioners. The retributioners did manage to inflict a few wounds on Mannfred, but he pretty much whopped their ass when it was his turn to attack. The end result of this battle being that Mannfred had wiped out almost the entire enemy force by the time the shambling horde actually arrived.

Lesson to learn here, Mannfred is incredibly powerful, either I was lucky here or I did not actually need an army to fight this battle. I think one mistake my opponent did was that he pretty much fed his units to Mannfred one by one, maybe with a more focused effort he would be able to take him out. I think the Lord Celestant had the best change, but cause to really bad rolls he did not inflict much damage. Turns out my gamble by sending my general ahead of my army payed off.

In a very objetive based game though it seems the undead has one great weakness, their speed. It can be challanging to complete scenarios which require a fast capture. It was fortunate I did have one fast flyer as otherwise I would have wasted several turns just reaching the tower.

So, what do you think my opponent could have done differently to avoid such a crushing defeat? Or did I just misjudge the power of my forces and ended up fielding a force far more powerful than my opponent. Though that concluson would mean a single Mortarch is more powerful than 50 wounds worth of Stormcast.

I did use a mixed formation on the skeletons though, with hand weapons in the front and spears in the rear. Too bad I did not get to test them in action.
Balancing issues aside, this was a fun game to play.

Clewz
24-07-2015, 12:54
Think you were right that he made the mistake of feeding his units one by one. There is also not much choice at the moment for stormcast eternals especially in terms of monsterous creatures. They seem to me to be more geared up to exceling at hammering the rank and file units

jtrowell
24-07-2015, 13:24
Once again we are here to say it loud and clear and it bears repeating : GOD DAMNIT MANNFRED! :D

thesoundofmusica
24-07-2015, 13:33
I'm not sure how powerful the Stormcast heroes are but checking Mannfred's warscroll he looks like an absolute beast! Like you said the summoning didnt matter much and with Mannfred's rules of healing and negating a number of wounds every round he needs to be focused down. But what can I tell you, sometimes armies get slaughtered :)

Like Clews mentioned the starterbox Stormcast seem geared towards killing the starterbox Chaos guys. For example some more shooting should let you concentrate force easier.

Edit: sounds like a fun and epic fight.

3eland
24-07-2015, 17:29
For example some more shooting should let you concentrate force easier.

This.

You can't really go toe to toe with Mannfred unless you use an elite unit or something that can actually take him on. You need to dwindle him with shooting or magic to have the greatest chance of killing him. His feeding you units one by one is what lost him the game.

The Stormcast starter, like others have said, aren't really meant for elite characters like Mannfred.

He isn't that brutal though. One unit of Camo Skinks and a Bastiladon nuked him down in a single shooting phase once. He hadn't even had chance to get into combat at that point.

Flaminghand
24-07-2015, 20:47
This.

You can't really go toe to toe with Mannfred unless you use an elite unit or something that can actually take him on. You need to dwindle him with shooting or magic to have the greatest chance of killing him. His feeding you units one by one is what lost him the game.

The Stormcast starter, like others have said, aren't really meant for elite characters like Mannfred.

He isn't that brutal though. One unit of Camo Skinks and a Bastiladon nuked him down in a single shooting phase once. He hadn't even had chance to get into combat at that point.
I guess it is just a question of what exactly you are facing, Mannfred is a good infantry slayer, but he is not cut out for other monsters. The shooting of the Persecutors was what hurt him the most though so they should have probably kept shooting while Mannfred was distracted with the other stuff instead of charging in and dying. I have no doubt the Storcast Eternals could deal with the rest of my army though, it probably is that they don't really have anything dedicated to taking on such a big monster. Maybe those archers coming out soon will help with that.

Anyway, next time I probably use Vlad as my general instead and see how that goes.

3eland
24-07-2015, 22:26
I guess it is just a question of what exactly you are facing, Mannfred is a good infantry slayer, but he is not cut out for other monsters. The shooting of the Persecutors was what hurt him the most though so they should have probably kept shooting while Mannfred was distracted with the other stuff instead of charging in and dying. I have no doubt the Storcast Eternals could deal with the rest of my army though, it probably is that they don't really have anything dedicated to taking on such a big monster. Maybe those archers coming out soon will help with that.

Anyway, next time I probably use Vlad as my general instead and see how that goes.

Agreed.

Let us know how Vlad does.