PDA

View Full Version : AoS Independant UK pool choice announced

MOMUS
24-07-2015, 14:28
As the title reads, the AoS Independant UK comp has been announced.
Click the link to find the current pool choice system.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88222296/Clash%202015/Independent%20AoS%20Pool%20Choices%20v0.3.pdf

So far the the following tournaments have signed up:
Clash of Swords
Londoní Burning
Sheffield Slaughter
Firestorm Fours
Mersey Meltdown
Londonís Calling
BIG in house events

Thats six or seven 60+ tournaments in the UK which are choosing this system, at the moment it's still quite new and I expect the pool choices to be refined over the coming months (You can even see a models previous pool choice).
Comp is still subject to the TO so things like shot cap, hero cap, scenarios etc will probably vary. But has a guideline this will help club players and events.
Anyway enjoy!

ewar
25-07-2015, 00:02
I'm keeping an eye on the Warhammer forum to see what the feedback is on these events. Personally, I have no idea why anyone would even want to try and bend AoS into a tournament game in the first place.

I'm going to Stormlords for an 8th ed tourney in September and really looking forward to playing Warhammer :)

MOMUS
25-07-2015, 07:31
I'm keeping an eye on the Warhammer forum to see what the feedback is on these events. Personally, I have no idea why anyone would even want to try and bend AoS into a tournament game in the first place.

I'm going to Stormlords for an 8th ed tourney in September and really looking forward to playing Warhammer :)

I think clash of swords will be the make or break of the pack.
Personally im finding the people on the warhammer tournament scene and the events outshining the (8th)game.
Yea I saw stormlords, sadly it looks like it will be about 20player compared to 60+ last year.

ewar
26-07-2015, 07:40
Really? The game is very well balanced with just some simple comp. I went to an end times tournament at wayland back in May and everyone brought the filth and it was honestly the most fun tournament I've played in ages. I brought nagash and had my worst ever finish, but honestly the most fun games of warhammer I've played in a long time.

AoS just doesn't involve enough player skill. Regardless of the balance issues I just can't see it as a tournament game because there aren't enough meaningful player choices in the game.

MOMUS
26-07-2015, 09:11
It's just that since dark elf book the tournament scene hasn't changed that much*, same armies with the same builds. I felt like the game had become stale, you can look at the table and know who's going to win. It's just damage limitation to decide the score. 12-8 etc
I'm hoping AoS will be the breath of fresh air that regulars (like me) are looking for, with continued feedback a living points system will help a lot keeping the armies different and interesting.

*maybe the WE book a little

ewar
26-07-2015, 12:37
I can understand that the die hards, going to two or three tournies a month, might be a bit burned out on 8th edition. But as I only go to 2 or 3 a year I'm still very much in love with 8th ed.

What I can't understand is why they might think AoS is a decent replacement - the game just has nothing like the player involvement. If the social aspect is the main driver, then I'd have thought an alternative gaming style might be more appropriate (e.g. campaign weekends etc) or if the objective is to have an actual tournament, surely a different game is more appropriate?

MOMUS
26-07-2015, 17:34
What I can't understand is why they might think AoS is a decent replacement - the game just has nothing like the player involvement. If the social aspect is the main driver, then I'd have thought an alternative gaming style might be more appropriate (e.g. campaign weekends etc) or if the objective is to have an actual tournament, surely a different game is more appropriate?

Its the crowd that has formed with 7/8th edition tournaments has decided to stay together, the community decides how complex the game is not GW. For example top level UK tournaments had heavy comp, including shot cap, units caps, magic dice caps, banned items as well as primary, secondary and tertiary mission objectives.

ewar
26-07-2015, 19:07
I get that the community wants to carry on, it's just the game they've chsen to play which is so bad! I can't see it being played this time next year as a tournament game (assuming no major changes are issued by GW) just because there isn't enough game there to keep people engaged.

Comparing the comp for 8th to AoS is a bit of a stretch :)

I'll keep looking for small 8th events to hopefully keep the game alive.

HJFudge
26-07-2015, 22:19
Looking at the costs for the various models in Pool Choice format, at least, makes me cringe.

Doesnt look like much testing as been done yet. At least when it comes to Tomb Kings and Orcs and Goblins (the army me and my bud who have been playing AOS a lot) their balance is way off.

ewar
26-07-2015, 22:53
Still early days though, I think Clash will provide a lot of data to help build on the system.

Dosiere
27-07-2015, 00:39
What am I looking at here? The pool points are the cost in game of said units?

MOMUS
27-07-2015, 02:19
What am I looking at here? The pool points are the cost in game of said units?

Correct. This is the start of a living points system for AoS, the pool choice number (value) for each unit will become more 'accurate' the more raw data gets put in. Several large UK tournaments have signed up so far.

Mr_Foulscumm
27-07-2015, 02:47
My question is this, does having points values for units make the rest of the rules compelling?

Mawduce
27-07-2015, 02:53
My question is this, does having points values for units make the rest of the rules compelling?

For me, no. There are glaring issues with the rules. Measure from the model, piling on bases, shooting when locked in combat, no hero building, LoS doesn't matter, terrain doesn't matter unless it does something... I don't like these things.

I do like how everything is very neatly organized though.

MOMUS
27-07-2015, 11:32
For me, no. There are glaring issues with the rules. Measure from the model, piling on bases, shooting when locked in combat, no hero building, LoS doesn't matter, terrain doesn't matter unless it does something....

That comes under comp. which will vary slightly with each tournamnet (even if they all this pool system).
the comp pack for clash of swords is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88222296/Clash%202015/Clash%20Comp%20v0.9.pdf

Spiney Norman
27-07-2015, 12:59
I really like this pool system, it is loose enough to retain the more casual feel of AoS but still provides a framework for getting forces into roughly the same ballpark. It doesn't have the downside of the old wfb points system where players were micro-managing every last point to squeeze the maximum advantage out of their list, but it doesn't have the downside of AoS where two armies can end up with wildly different power levels.

Sheriff0fNottingham
29-07-2015, 17:11
I would prefer if you would stick to one file name and keep updating it so the link stays intact.

Also the point list is gone...

HelloKitty
29-07-2015, 17:37
I really like this pool system, it is loose enough to retain the more casual feel of AoS but still provides a framework for getting forces into roughly the same ballpark. It doesn't have the downside of the old wfb points system where players were micro-managing every last point to squeeze the maximum advantage out of their list, but it doesn't have the downside of AoS where two armies can end up with wildly different power levels.

that was our thought as well and how our comp system got developed. We have general tiers of balance as opposed to trying to be exact.

SuperHappyTime
29-07-2015, 18:05
But as a guideline this will help club players and events.

Haven't we been clubed enough already?

Really congrats on getting these tournaments to sign up. Glad someone is going to give AoS the old college try instead of throwing a temper tantrum.

Spiney Norman
29-07-2015, 19:06
that was our thought as well and how our comp system got developed. We have general tiers of balance as opposed to trying to be exact.

That is one of the things I like about AoS, no-one running units without command groups because the points are better spent elsewhere etc.

MOMUS
30-07-2015, 09:52
I would prefer if you would stick to one file name and keep updating it so the link stays intact.
Also the point list is gone...

Think you got the wrong end of the stick, I didn't create this.

Really congrats on getting these tournaments to sign up. Glad someone is going to give AoS the old college try instead of throwing a temper tantrum.

The only people that throw tantrums are those that live on forums.
links maintained here: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=127740