PDA

View Full Version : So I tried AoS again......

Sexiest_hero
25-07-2015, 07:21
And...I had a blast. It's odd, my group has fallen into the weird "Just go for it" vibe. Miss a spell, or a ability. Just go back and do it, it's not really a competitive kinda, game, have a laugh the people who made the rules did. My giant held up a whole Khore starter kit army in the garrison. While Sigmar's finest crazy abilities were to much for the OnG in battle line. While 100 wounds of skaven fought to a stand still against a horde of zombies and fell bats. Everything ends up mashing wieners in the middle but combat is where the game shines (The only place it does IMHO). If you laugh about all the rule making missteps the combat carries the game. That said AoS is a fun little game that in no way should replace the spender that is 8th. I move my ranking up from "steaming S*&^" pile to "little fun diversion".

RandomThoughts
25-07-2015, 07:59
Yeah. I've said it before: There is a target audience for AOS out there. Part of them are hobbyists who care more about the models and for whom the game is just something to do with their models and their mates. Another part are people that can enjoy AOS as a silly exercise of **** and giggles nobody should take serious. There are probably more groups out there that I have missed so far.

I respect both groups. They do what they enjoy doing, why should anyone tell them that they are having fun "the wrong way".

What I don't get is that some people think the game is actually good, in a craftsmanship sense.

innerwolf
25-07-2015, 08:00
Well, I guess that's the approach most of us should have towards AoS. Low expectations, light-hearted fun. And if the rules get any better in the future, it will be welcomed.

RandomThoughts
25-07-2015, 08:14
Well, I guess that's the approach most of us should have towards AoS. Low expectations, light-hearted fun. And if the rules get any better in the future, it will be welcomed.

Erm, I'm not really big on telling people what they should do. I think what you should do is decide for yourself what is the best investment of your time and money. If you can enjoy AOS for what it is, that's fine. If you can't, perhaps you might like to take a look at some competitor games. This is what really frustrates me the most: People pretending that the hobby is only GW and that there are no alternatives out there. :-/

Wishing
25-07-2015, 08:26
Erm, I'm not really big on telling people what they should do.

I think there is an implied "...if we want to actually enjoy AoS rather than spend all of our time complaining about it" at the end there.

I think most people understand that it is not mandatory to only play GW games, and that there are lots of other games out there they could play if something GW makes doesn't appeal to them. Thus I think most people who don't like AoS and aren't emotionally attached to GW simply go and play malifaux or KoW instead, rather than complain about AoS online.

This thread is certainly a good indication of how I expect attitudes to shift over the next months and years. Bitterness and sorrow about the demise of WHFB and the inadequasy of AoS as a replacement will gradually fade into AoS just being another game which some people will enjoy, and people will collect warhammer armies as they always have.

RandomThoughts
25-07-2015, 08:56
I think there is an implied "...if we want to actually enjoy AoS rather than spend all of our time complaining about it" at the end there.

Good point, I missed that.

GrandmasterWang
25-07-2015, 09:09
And...I had a blast. It's odd, my group has fallen into the weird "Just go for it" vibe. Miss a spell, or a ability. Just go back and do it, it's not really a competitive kinda, game, have a laugh the people who made the rules did. My giant held up a whole Khore starter kit army in the garrison. While Sigmar's finest crazy abilities were to much for the OnG in battle line. While 100 wounds of skaven fought to a stand still against a horde of zombies and fell bats. Everything ends up mashing wieners in the middle but combat is where the game shines (The only place it does IMHO). If you laugh about all the rule making missteps the combat carries the game. That said AoS is a fun little game that in no way should replace the spender that is 8th. I move my ranking up from "steaming S*&^" pile to "little fun diversion".

Haha well played SexiestHero

Right from the start I have always seen AOS as a fun little diversion that can coexist peacefully alongside my beloved 8th/Chillhammer :)

It's nice to see more people viewing AOS more along the same lines as me and having fun with it.

Diversity is the spice of life!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Commissar von Toussaint
25-07-2015, 13:53
And so the rationalization begins...

ihavetoomuchminis
25-07-2015, 14:01
Yes, too many wargames out there requiring you some pre-game work and forcing you to think. Its great to use some $10 a piece models to turn your brain off and roll some dice without putting any sense on it.

Too many "The Schindler's list"s, i want to spend my money on " American pie 3"

innerwolf
25-07-2015, 14:33

Exactly, thanks for helping me getting my point across :)

Sexiest_hero
25-07-2015, 17:11
Don't get me wrong, if you aren't careful you can fall into a rules hole can can instantly ruin a game. if yu care enough to let it. It reminds me of my friends in I playing a video game called "Worms". Yes we have more serious games we've played together, like raiding in an mmo, but sometimes it's just fun to see a worm throw a holy hand grenade at another worm. I could write a five page essay about how the endtimes are what fantasy needed (with a few points and magic tweaks) and how AoS could have been a great intro/ skirmish game for people getting into the hobby and wanting to play without having huge numbers of troops. All that aside I must admit we had more fun wargaming last night than most of the fantasy and 40k guys said they had in years. A few guys went and dusted off armies they hadn't seen since 6th edition, a couple of magic players got some high elves. 40k players got the starter set. It was like I was back in the 90's before the net turned every thing into min maxing and net lists, everybody brought what they wanted and tossed dice at each other for fun. It was very bittersweet for me. 8th was just as fun with a vastly better rules set, if only people would have went into it with the same mindset of have fun, roll dice....

Scribe of Khorne
25-07-2015, 17:45
Exactly how I feel about 7th 40K then.

Go in looking for fun, its there. Go in looking to ruin things, and you will. Which actually is about how every game is. :p

Tau_player001
25-07-2015, 17:55
Worms is actually a good game. AoS is not. Company can make it better, like i can enjoy a **** quality beer if i am with good friends.

Shandor
25-07-2015, 18:06
I wonder how the big clash in the middle is where AoS shines? I mean.. you just rolling 4+ and 5+ 90% of the time and removing models.
AoS has its positive sides but thats its the most boring part for me personal.

Sexiest_hero
25-07-2015, 18:42
It's got little things that makes it shine. Like My zombies hit and wound on 6+ with synergies, I can get that to 3+ 2+. That depends on me keeping my corpse cart close while using all my magic power to summon more zombies to fend off plague monks and storm vermin. Quite a few times it looked like my horde would overwhelm the rats and other times it looked like I would run out of models. We both had to pick what units fought next very carefully. It was fun but the loss of movement tactics is what really hurt me.

MasterSplinter
25-07-2015, 18:57
Maybe you will experience movement tactics when youŽll have your next games :)
In my first game i found that on occasion enemy chaff units still had their purpose on restricing me where to place my fast moving units. Also the other way around (i was playing vc as well): if you got a big blob of about 60 zombies spread out 1" appart from each other it will stress your opponents movement big time^^ You could even line them up to effectivly cut the battlefield into half.
Also the possibility to retreat from combats which donŽt come to your favour might become handy.