PDA

View Full Version : Hex bases?

Harwammer
25-07-2015, 10:40
Has anyone given any thoughts to basing their AoS projects on hex bases instead of square/round?

I was thinking about geometery and remembered you can fit 6 circles around a single circle (assuming similar diameters), which then made me think, why not just use hexagonal bases?

Is there any sense in this idea?

zoggin-eck
25-07-2015, 10:44
Plenty of people already play skirmish games, dungeon crawlers and so on with hex bases, so I don't see why not. Use whatever you like the look of.

I've seen plenty of Song of Blades warbands and Rogue Trader models with hexes. I quite like them, and might use them if I ever put together matched forces for a new game.

Griefbringer
25-07-2015, 11:05
I was thinking about geometery and remembered you can fit 6 circles around a single circle (assuming similar diameters), which then made me think, why not just use hexagonal bases?

I do own a bunch of hex bases that I got from somewhere, but haven't ever used for anything. Not really fond of how they look, but that is a matter of personal taste.

Gaming-wise, they would be useful for games where combatants have 60, 120 or 180 degrees arcs of fire. Not really an issue with AoS, where models seem to have 360 degree arc of vision.

One advantage of round bases over hexagonal bases is that when you pile models as close to each other as possible the round base allows you to easily rotate the models by any number of degrees you want, even without lifting the model off the table. This can make it easier to fit the models into a tight bunch, especially if they are in particularly dynamic poses. With hexagonal bases you need to be more careful that the models rank up correctly. So I think round bases would be more practical than hexagonal bases.

Of course if you are fielding an army of intelligent giant bees (counting as giant eagles or something) then of course hexagonal bases would give them very fluffy beehive look on the table...

Harwammer
25-07-2015, 14:53
Good point on pivoting models on the spot with round bases, Griefbringer. I hadn't thought of that!

Zoggin-eck The anachronistic setting of RT would really suit hex bases, totally agree there (sorry for OT!)

MusingWarboss
25-07-2015, 15:40
I'm a big fan of Hex bases, I just love the look! However, it is quite an 'industrial' look so while it fits in with RT, 40k Grimdark, the underhive etc. it may look a bit strange in a fantasy setting. Not that it hasn't been done - some original WFB models had hexes.

As above if your considerations are for fire arcs and front, front left/right, back, back left/right in game then hex bases are great. As AoS seems not to care for bases or any of that technical stuff then unless it's purely an aesthetic thing for you there is no advantage or disadvantage. Rounds may be better for spinning stuff on the spot but hexes probably won't hinder you any more than squares would, or ovals.

Harwammer
25-07-2015, 15:42
One thing I thought of with hex bases is how units rank up;
Squares give neat ranks and files, whereas hexes might be easier to look like a messy horde?

I have a 4th/5th ed army up in an attic somewhere that needs a lot of love... perhaps this is the army to try out hex bases on?

Griefbringer
25-07-2015, 15:49
And just in case somebody is interested in getting hex bases but does not know where to find them, at least EM4miniatures has them in three different versions (one with flight stand), in addition to lot of other bases (like 20 mm round bases):

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html

I could probably be also easily convinced to donate off the ones that I own, if somebody happens to live around here. Or maybe I will use them for some strange looking industrial beehive terrain project one year.

GrandmasterWang
25-07-2015, 16:44
Regarding the hexes (not a huge fan personally) would you base/flock them or leave them black like the heroclicks type miniatures?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Vulgarsty
25-07-2015, 20:28
And just in case somebody is interested in getting hex bases but does not know where to find them, at least EM4miniatures has them in three different versions (one with flight stand), in addition to lot of other bases (like 20 mm round bases):

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html

I could probably be also easily convinced to donate off the ones that I own, if somebody happens to live around here. Or maybe I will use them for some strange looking industrial beehive terrain project one year.

.........and over 5 times cheaper than this latest comical outrage http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/100-32-Round-Base-Bag

It's not just the money it is the implicit disrespect in taking all their (increasingly former) customers for absolute mugs. Odious company with a disgusting ethos and a contemptible and incompetent "leadership" - My only regret is for some of the decent guys lower down who are all going to be redundant in 18 months or so's time when the whole, once great company, goes into receivership. Still if it leaves Kirby potless then it won't all be tears from me.

theunwantedbeing
25-07-2015, 22:02
One advantage of round bases over hexagonal bases is that when you pile models as close to each other as possible the round base allows you to easily rotate the models by any number of degrees you want, even without lifting the model off the table. This can make it easier to fit the models into a tight bunch, especially if they are in particularly dynamic poses. With hexagonal bases you need to be more careful that the models rank up correctly. So I think round bases would be more practical than hexagonal bases.

I'm not sure how legal making pivots is to be honest.
As models are measured from the model, not the base then pivoting would count as movement.

Hex bases do give you an easy way to orient models on the bases so they don't foul when they're ranked.
If the overhanging sword/tail/whatever sticks out over a corner in the same direction as the corner it won't foul with any model it's in base contact with.

Square bases never really had that, as if you stick it over a corner you'll foul on anything in corner contact.
Both hex and square bases foul when a part of the model overhangs the flat edge.

I say he should go with it if he likes how hex bases look just so long as nothing overhangs the flat edges.

Griefbringer
26-07-2015, 08:33
Hex bases do give you an easy way to orient models on the bases so they don't foul when they're ranked.
If the overhanging sword/tail/whatever sticks out over a corner in the same direction as the corner it won't foul with any model it's in base contact with.

That is an interesting perspective I had not taken into consideration, thanks for pointing it out.