PDA

View Full Version : War machine's attacks, the crew, 2 sets of keywords and buffs.

jaceimba
26-07-2015, 06:26
I know that whether war machine and its crew are one unit or not has been debated before.

This time I want to talk about buffs that affect the crew and and whether or not they would affect the warmachine's attacks.

For example, dwarf lord/sea helm buff crew's wound rolls since they have the keywords.

Question:

Would you consider the crew to be the one making the attacks even though the attack profile is only on the war machine?

3eland
26-07-2015, 07:04
I would say no.

They do not have the attack profile, the warmachine has the attack profile.

Things like that would only affect their own attack profile (so whatever close combat weapon they weild).

jaceimba
26-07-2015, 07:26
Fair enough, I think the problem is that while the attack profile is on the war machine, only its crew can use it.

I do hope GW clarify the rules on war machine and its crew, mainly if it's a unit or not. Some might say they are 2 units since only the crew can take battleshock..

3eland
26-07-2015, 08:25
I can only say for dwarfs as they are the only warmachine army I have but it says "an X consists of an X warmachine and X crew" so the canon for example is "a dwarf cannon consists of a cannon warmachine and 3 crew"

So to me that states its one unit but the actual warmachine has no bravery so does not need to take a test. Since battleshock fleeing consists of full models, if the crew fled you wouldn't be able to fire the warmachine any way. As for targeting, I have no clue. Can you target the warmachine separately? I'd say yes but who knows since the warmachine is considered "warmachine and crew".

theunwantedbeing
26-07-2015, 11:53
Would you consider the crew to be the one making the attacks even though the attack profile is only on the war machine?

The machine and crew have a different statline and set of keywords.
So if the ability only affects the crew the machine won't be affected.

eg.
The Lothern Seaborn ability affects Highborn, the machine isn't Highborn but the crew are.
So the machine is unaffected (as are it's attacks as the machine makes the shooting attack, not the crew).

Dead simple.

Necronartum
27-07-2015, 11:09
Fair enough, I think the problem is that while the attack profile is on the war machine, only its crew can use it.

The Dark Elf and Dwarf war machines have a separate crew attack profile. The profile listed under the war machine lists only the missile weapons.

I have had this discussion with a friend of mine. In my opinion the rules stipulate that models in a unit must be within 1" of each other. If a war machine and single crew were a single unit they would be required to stay within an 1" of each other. Essentially this would make redundant all of the 'within 1"' rules that are attached to most war machines. They would just give the war machine a move value. The only notable exception is the Hellcannon which can leg it and leave its crew behind.

Just my $0.02 anyway. Its ambiguous.

theunwantedbeing
27-07-2015, 12:23
In my opinion the rules stipulate that models in a unit must be within 1" of each other. If a war machine and single crew were a single unit they would be required to stay within an 1" of each other. Essentially this would make redundant all of the 'within 1"' rules that are attached to most war machines.

The within 1" rule for machines is that they need X amount of crew to be within 1" of the machine for it to get specific effects.
The unit 1" rule merely requires all the models not to be more than 1" apart.

eg.
WCCC

A war machine and 3 crew all 1" apart.
The machine only gets to move/fire as if it had a single crew as only 1 crew is within an inch of it despite all 3 crew being alive.