PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'm done

SteveW
26-07-2015, 15:42
Not a rage quit, I enjoy the game(8th and AoS) but a series of unfortunate events has stripped me of a willingness to play.

Over the last year or so I've sold off all my armies except my Bretonnians due to being poor.

One day my Brets took a tumble in the back of my car when I had to stop to avoid a car going the wrong way in traffic. I rebuilt them and repainted them and carried on. Then while I had them on a display board one of my cats managed to knock them off the table and I had to start over again. Such is life, I finished reassembling them two days ago and put them in the trunk of my car to go play yesterday. While I was inside grabbing a bottle of water I hear a thud, a moving truck had bumped my car doing what looked like no damage at all, but hen I opened the trunk my army case was flung open and lance bits and hose heads were strewn all over. So I think for a while at least my warhammer life is over.

Please feel free to share stories of calamity your armies have been through, I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar or worse luck with an army.

HammerofThunor
26-07-2015, 15:45
Well that sucks. I've never had anything like that but we did have a rule for Cat Attack. One liked to jump up on the board and since it was slightly too big for the table would bring that section (and any models) crashing to the ground. Never any really damage that couldn't been easily fixed.

SimaoSegunda
26-07-2015, 15:52
I'll be honest... I came to this thread expecting to hear whining, and prepped to tell you that no one cares. But I'm genuinely gutted for you, dude. Hopefully you'll find the motivation to rebuild and go again.

I had a "friend" who offered to help when I was having difficulty assembling a set of Fimir Warriors I bought from Forgeworld. He built them up for me, then kept forgetting to bring them in to the FLGS for me to collect. Then one day, he said his cat had knocked them onto the fire, and they were all melted, but he said he'd replace them for me. That was about two years ago. He's since been banned from that store for stealing, and has apparently moved house. I'm annoyed, but not as annoyed as the mutual aquaintence who is owed 800 by the same guy!

Is is it worth buying myself some replacement fimir? Has anyone else bought the kit and had good use from them?

SteveW
26-07-2015, 15:57
I'll be honest... I came to this thread expecting to hear whining, and prepped to tell you that no one cares. But I'm genuinely gutted for you, dude. Hopefully you'll find the motivation to rebuild and go again.

I had a "friend" who offered to help when I was having difficulty assembling a set of Fimir Warriors I bought from Forgeworld. He built them up for me, then kept forgetting to bring them in to the FLGS for me to collect. Then one day, he said his cat had knocked them onto the fire, and they were all melted, but he said he'd replace them for me. That was about two years ago. He's since been banned from that store for stealing, and has apparently moved house. I'm annoyed, but not as annoyed as the mutual aquaintence who is owed 800 by the same guy!

Is is it worth buying myself some replacement fimir? Has anyone else bought the kit and had good use from them?

Thanks, I have no experience with the Fimir models but had always wanted to buy some to use as chaos ogres.

MusingWarboss
26-07-2015, 16:31
@SteveW: oh that is a truly awful series of events, sorry to hear you've had such a run of poor luck with the Brets. On the plus side you do still have them so can always rebuild whenever you want to. Unless of course fate is telling you to move on! [emoji33]

Can't say I've ever had anything truly catastrophic happen to my models but there has been a few annoying incidents. Some old metal+plastic Ork kits from about 15 years ago (Ard Boys) are a constant pain in the backside - they are forever coming apart and have been reassembled more times than I care to think. Mostly due to taking a dive from scenery or tabletops. I've triple pinned limbs and epoxyed them now but still things like shoulder pads and heads fly off. Consequently they never capture tops of ruins anymore!!

The worst incident was when I'd just finished varnishing them outside, had them in a box lid tray, tripped and they nosedived onto concrete. Gah!

Old superglue is another pain, it has about a ten year lifespan and then it goes brittle so older metals have bits detach when I'm playing. Now of course they're all pinned and epoxyed as a matter of course. The old advice on using those methods are true - they last - though probably not a dive onto concrete. So all the old 90s early 2000 bits where I was too impatient to do it properly are in need of repair now and again.

I had a friend who once accidentally set fire to a model while smoking. He reckons the varnish fumes ignited.

@SimaoSegunda: I hate to say it but I reckon that guy has some nice Fimir models wherever he is. :( As for getting more. They're sweet models, if you like them get them. As for use, I dunno, Fimir have been out of GWs welcome zone for ages. If you like them it probably doesn't matter does it?

ColShaw
26-07-2015, 16:33
Not a whole army, but I'd just bought a brand-new Bloodthirster (this is the "old" 'Thirster now; it was a lot of years ago) and spent the whole day painting it carefully, setting up a scenic base with piles of skeletons... it looked good. But I'd been sitting a long time, and when I went up the basement stairs, carrying my new model, I got a wicked cramp in the back of my knee. My whole leg just buckled and I went down, getting a bad bruise on one knee. Mr. Khorne hit the stairs and shattered, appropriately enough into 8 pieces. In pain and rage, I screamed a string of profanity so loudly that my dog stood up, gave me a frightened look, and disappeared into the bathroom for half an hour.

Then I went back down and started gluing it back together again.

Groza
26-07-2015, 16:39
Dude, seems to me like someone cursed you or your army.
That's some rotten and very specific luck right there.

A few nights ago I accidentally broke a greatsword blade while trying to straighten it. It's metal so I doubt I'll be able to fix it, it will just keep breaking off. I had just finished painting it too.

thesoundofmusica
26-07-2015, 17:02
When we first started playing Warhammer my brother bought the 4/5th edition Slann carried by temple guard and painted it up to a standard we had never seen before in our group. Was a great model too! So when finished the first game he ever used Slann he deployed it way back in his deployment zone right on the table edge aaaand made a sweeping move with his hand towards it saying something like "this is my general of course" and knocking it on the floor. It was a heavy metal piece and just got completely smashed.

Vos
26-07-2015, 18:15
I once spent two days lovingly painting a brigade (4 regiments worth) of Warmaster scale flagellants.
Based them all then spray varnished them.

Whiteout - totally ruined them. Strip and re-paint job. AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH.
Not as bad as losing an entire army though. You have my sympathy!

Vos

GrandmasterWang
26-07-2015, 19:39
Man TC that is terrible luck!! The lady abandoned you!!

Fimir have rules in SOM and Monstrous Arcanum, id say use those.

I have a metal Ghazghkull which I keep on a separate chariot display base with a prone ultramarine about to cop it from big Ghazghkull.

When it was all completed the next day a good mate came round and I showed it so him by passing him the full display base. He immediately moved it up to take a closer look and Ghazghkull who was mounted on his own 40mm round which slotted into chariot base fell onto the tiles and shattered!

We both just stared down at him for a few seconds before my mate said "I'm so sorry I thought he was attached". I should have told him before I passed him the model. Seriously took me hours and hours to bend stuff back into shape and glue him back together. I did more for him than Grotsnik ever did!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Urgat
26-07-2015, 19:54
What bad luck :/. Only remotely bad thing that happened to my army, well, one unit, was when I painted my boar, was happy with it, decided to spray some seal on it, and picked up the white primer can instead.
Lately, I've had to have my entire army moved (something like 20k greenskins and affiliated I believe). Spend hours magentizing averything and hunting for metal plates to put in boxes etc. Proved rather efficient, only accident was a unit of wolf riders (I believe those were not magneticzed because they were all plastic and I figured they'd be fine) which got knocked away by a suitcase or something in my parent's car trunk, resulting in a few crushed gobs.

I'm probably going to keep on magnetizing all my minis (bar Reaper Bones ones, they appear to be indestructible), it's really efficient.

Griefbringer
26-07-2015, 20:10
From the stories I have heard, cats are one of the greatest dangers to miniatures all over the known world.

I will need to make a mental note to never get one, however lovely they are otherwise.

infamousme
26-07-2015, 21:00
About 13 years ago, I had a puppy that got onto my desk chair and ate a regiment of 20 dwarf clansmen I had just finished painting.

Another time (probably 2007-08 sometime) I dropped the open box I had my dark elves stored in while putting it in my trunk. Many pieces broke off and decided that the storm drain was a decent place to land........ Special edition Malus Darkblade on foot being one of them 😒

DinDon
26-07-2015, 21:39
About 11 years ago i had attempted to start WH40k with a smurfs army. I had it fully painted on a shelf at the basement. Well......one day while i was cleaning the basement i fell from a chair and while trying to save myself from the death sentence of a 40cm fall, i grabed accidentally the shelf......

Long storry cut short, quite a few marines, a predator and a land raider broke to pieces since the shelf had to freaking drop right on top of them aswell. Besides i crushed a few under my foot......

Tokamak
26-07-2015, 21:45
I once bought a metal hydra.

Tae
26-07-2015, 21:48
My friend had a very large Blood Angels army fully painted and based and one day he picked up his case and the clasp broke, cue literal flying angels which promptly broke into many, many pieces.

I'm not sure if he actually ever put them back together again.

RandomThoughts
26-07-2015, 22:05
You have my condolences. Something like that always sucks, and I am truly sorry to hear your tale. Good luck, man!

Sephillion
26-07-2015, 22:13
Oh man, that's really unlucky... are you sure you haven't displeased an old god or spirit or something recently?

...the one thing I hate more than assembling models is reassembling broken models.

I am lucky however, mostly minor stuff. Except some 40K models being ruined by GW cheap plastic glue, leaving joints all crystallzied and broken, beyond repaires. Lost a few models like that and it kinda ruined my interest for a while.

Snake Tortoise
27-07-2015, 00:30
I don't like to say it but if your models aren't in a carrying case this sort of thing is bound to happen. If I was driving and knowing a sharp stop would knock all of my models over I'd probably be too scared to stop at lights, just keep rolling along at 30mph the whole journey

I've been lucky with my stuff. When we were kids my older brother knocked models over now and then and even stood on some, but I think they must have been metal because I remember being able to glue them back together, bend back into place etc. I still hope standing on them was extremely painful. My younger sister once decided to help me paint some chaos warriors while I was out and dabbed boltgun metal splodges on them, but mercifully she didn't do too much and I was able to clean them up somewhat.

SteveW
27-07-2015, 01:35
My models are magnetized to tin plates and those plates are set in a box they are cut to fit. The box is lined with foam. I have quite a few armies in cases like that and it wasn't the problem, the problem was I had set them to where they had room to travel if force was applied and they did. The other two cases that had my Infinity and hordes stuff were fine and they were in the care as well.

Holier Than Thou
27-07-2015, 09:49
Sorry to hear about your models, I've knocked my fair share off the gaming table.

Yowzo
27-07-2015, 10:37
Feel for you.

Makes me think about a friend of mine who had a lovingly painted and converted WoC army (I think that was early 7th or late 6th).

Made the mistake of leaving the case on his car which some punk broke open and took the case with him. You never leave anything on sight at the parking while you're playing football.

So since our football and warhammer groups overlapped to quite a good degree and his birthday was only a few weeks apart we all pitched in and bought him an almost 1-to-1 replacement army. Some people put money, some others gave away leftover sprues, whatever. You would not believe his face when we all showed up with a bunch of cases with a big ribbon.

So maybe a year later he's almost finished painting it all up when he's rear-ended by a delivery van with the army case in the back. The car was totalled, and the army was totally crushed.

What did the guy do? He named his army the Cursed Warband and tacked the crushed leftover bits onto skeletons to make an Undead army which I think he's still using today (I don't live on that town anymore).

SteveW
27-07-2015, 16:12
Feel for you.

Makes me think about a friend of mine who had a lovingly painted and converted WoC army (I think that was early 7th or late 6th).

Made the mistake of leaving the case on his car which some punk broke open and took the case with him. You never leave anything on sight at the parking while you're playing football.

So since our football and warhammer groups overlapped to quite a good degree and his birthday was only a few weeks apart we all pitched in and bought him an almost 1-to-1 replacement army. Some people put money, some others gave away leftover sprues, whatever. You would not believe his face when we all showed up with a bunch of cases with a big ribbon.

So maybe a year later he's almost finished painting it all up when he's rear-ended by a delivery van with the army case in the back. The car was totalled, and the army was totally crushed.

What did the guy do? He named his army the Cursed Warband and tacked the crushed leftover bits onto skeletons to make an Undead army which I think he's still using today (I don't live on that town anymore).
Oh no, that's as bad as my story.

Kherith
27-07-2015, 17:46
Those are some rough tales of woe!

My worst personal story involves dropping a case of Eldar (obviously the one with all the grav tanks and jetbikes in) on the floor.

I was equal parts amazed and devastated to find out just how many pieces an old fire prism could break into.

I hope it doesn't stop you for too long it took me a while of painting Crimson Fists and Dark Elves with the box of broken models in the corner of shame but eventually I started piecing them back together and it reinvigorated my collecting of Eldar.

With a bit of luck the same will happen to you, good luck!

mweaver
27-07-2015, 19:16
Steve, that sounds like one unlucky army! Hopefully they will rise again, though.

My condolences to all of you who have suffered similar disasters. I have had the odd (usually cat-related) accident to a few figures here and there, but never to large numbers and never to anything unusually valuable.