PDA

View Full Version : Balancing AOS with how much you spend?

Tzen
27-07-2015, 10:06
So, this has been discussed amongst my group recently, and I thought I would leave the idea on here for general discussion and for it to be ripped apart.

So far, instead of trying to use points to balance the game, we have been using the monetary value GW charge for a unit. So, 10 skeletons is 15. So 20 would be 30. Instead of having a 2000 points game, we just have 200 games. It's honestly provided the most balanced games we have had of AoS so far. There are a few issues, and example beign skaven slaves, but generally speaking it does actually help balance the game out. It doesn't fix the appalling rules, but has provided a decent structure for organising games.

Spiney Norman
27-07-2015, 11:01
So, this has been discussed amongst my group recently, and I thought I would leave the idea on here for general discussion and for it to be ripped apart.

So far, instead of trying to use points to balance the game, we have been using the monetary value GW charge for a unit. So, 10 skeletons is 15. So 20 would be 30. Instead of having a 2000 points game, we just have 200 games. It's honestly provided the most balanced games we have had of AoS so far. There are a few issues, and example beign skaven slaves, but generally speaking it does actually help balance the game out. It doesn't fix the appalling rules, but has provided a decent structure for organising games.

It's a novel idea, but like most 'simple' balancing systems that have been suggested it fails at the extremes. Nagash being more or less equal in value to five blood Knights or a pair of mangler squids for example.

Harwammer
27-07-2015, 11:32
I think it is a good enough start to a point system seeing as the strength of a box seems to loosely scale with price.

Some quirks, like upgrading to shields being free (unless you buy them as a bits pack :P).

Problem with points systems, is people will game them and try to get maximum efficiency no matter what you do, so if there is one box that breaks the system then the entire system becomes broken, not just that box.