PDA

View Full Version : Irregularities of Dreadnoughts from the other chapters

Poncho160
27-07-2015, 12:49
Now that Dreadnoughts have 3 attacks in the Space Marine Codex, are any people playing with the Dreadnoughts from the other Codexes (BA, GK, SW and Chaos) as also having three attacks?

I doubt we will ever see a FAQ on the matter as GW don't seem to do them anymore, but it would seem to make sense 😃.

I am interested to hear people's views on the matter.

Adyger
27-07-2015, 12:58
That right there is one of the reasons they need to do FAQ's. And how hard is it really. I would also love my Fleshtearer Assault Marines to be able to have 2 eviscerators too, since the SM and DA ones are able to take them...these little things happen with books being updated, but I really don't understand their unwillingness to address them quickly and cheaply when they do arise.

Poncho160
27-07-2015, 13:14
I know, it would really only take a very short amount of time to address.

Has anyone being playing dreads with 3 attacks?

Trying to find a reason to use a GK one, all of their ranged weapons are a bit pants.

Arthanor
27-07-2015, 15:54
Player A: All loyalist marines should be rolled into one big C:SM, like C:CSM does for chaos marines.
Player B: Are you crazy?! My marines are SOoo different from smurfs!
Player C: Look! My marines got updated!
Player B: Nice! Hey! My marines should get those updates too, after all, my marines are like your marines.
Player A: Yup, you definitely should have been rolled into that codex.
Player B: No! We're SOoo different, it's just that his updates are for stuff I have, so I should have them on top of all my special stuff!
:rolleyes:

MajorWesJanson
27-07-2015, 21:10
Player A: All loyalist marines should be rolled into one big C:SM, like C:CSM does for chaos marines.
Player B: Nice! Hey! My marines should get those updates too, after all, my marines are like your marines.
Player B: No! We're SOoo different, it's just that his updates are for stuff I have, so I should have them on top of all my special stuff!

Exalted +1

Ork Deffdreds need the attack boost before SM variant ones do, really.

Lord Damocles
27-07-2015, 21:15
But but but..!

My red Dreadnought has two close combat weapons!
What's that? Blue Marines have those as well?
Erm... well I can swap one close combat weapon for a gun!
You can do that too?!
Well I can paint mine black. There. That needs seperate rules.

insectum7
27-07-2015, 23:55

Brilliant.

Adyger
28-07-2015, 00:35
I can actually see your thinking behind rolling them all into one. I hope they don't, but from your argument it would make sense. The comment about the orks is also true. Before the update to Generic Marines, all the walkers for all the armies were pretty similar. Yes, the blood angels one had an extra attack because of the extra arm. I think the orks were able to get extra attacks that way too. Is that still an option? Even so, it is raising the base number so high that makes the others seem ridiculously inferior now--including helbrutes and ork dreads and probably some for some other army that I am forgetting...

Arthanor
28-07-2015, 03:39
Exalted +1

Ork Deffdreds need the attack boost before SM variant ones do, really.

Oh! I should have added:
Player D: Hmmm.. Looks like upgrades I should have... Orks have dreadnoughts too! :mad:
Player E: Why did they change Eldar Dreadnoughts to Wraithlords? Now I would deserve more attacks! :(

All that being said, I certainly agree that smurf dreadnoughts having more attacks while sporting a gun, than other dreads with two cc arms is odd. Not too long ago, other codices got FAQ'd to get the WS and BS boost that C:SM got when it was updated, so it is at the very least not too far-fetched of a house rule to grant the extra attacks.

But then, why no grav for SW and BA when C:SM and DA get it? Why no Storm Raven for SW and DA when C:SM and BA get it? Why no Gladius for the Codex adherent BA? Why not change the price of power weapons on vanguard equivalents of other chapters? The answer to all of these is the same as for dreadnoughts: Because they're different codices.

The root of the problem since they share so much and should share even more goes back to "Why not roll 'em all into one?" I thought my marines were SOoo special too, but I happened to play Black Templars. After seeing it happen once, I can say I'd support it happening again, and again, and again (but that's it, there's only 3 left codices to roll in C:SM! ;)).

My fellow MEQ players, I'd always let you play using C:SM rules instead of your snowflake codex, and with a quick swap of chapter tactics so you keep your snowflake chapter rule. If GW did that, I think the game would be better.

Nightfall Shimmer
28-07-2015, 13:28
If they did roll all the Spese Muhreens into one giant codex it'd be one huge expensive mess with all the unique characters and units everyone gets. Unless they get rid of everything that makes them special...

And Arthanor is just salty Black Templars weren't popular enough to retain special snowflake status. :P

Inquisitor Kallus
28-07-2015, 13:56

Oh! I should have added:
Player D: Hmmm.. Looks like upgrades I should have... Orks have dreadnoughts too! :mad:
Player E: Why did they change Eldar Dreadnoughts to Wraithlords? Now I would deserve more attacks! :(

Ah haa!!! Thats one of the funniest things ive read all year. I genuinely burst out laughing

Beppo1234
28-07-2015, 14:22
Imo, the return of the mini-dexs would be a good thing, for all factions. Especially with formations and detachments in play, the concept could work much better. Something like this:

Marine core codex + BA mini dex and/or DA mini dex and/or SW mini dex etc.
Orks core codex + Goff mini dex and/or Deathskull mini dex and/or Snakebite mini dex etc.
Guard core codex + Cad mini dex and/or SL mini dex and/or Cata mini dex and/or Scion mini dex etc.
Chaos core codex + Khorn mini dex and/or Tzeech mini dex and/or nurgle mini dex etc.
... etc
... etc
... etc

basically a more stable and organized version of the codex supplements we were getting a year or so ago. The main codexs would have basic formations and detachments, the mini-dexs would has the more specialized and flavorful formations/detachments. If basic balance can be maintained between the core codexs, then designing the mini-dexs should be easier. Also gives GW lots of openings to do future releases, without having to overhaul and expire $70+ books, and maintain some consistency among those unit profiles which are currently duplicated in different books. Also gives consumers total flexibility in designing their own army within the faction (ie. if I wanted to make a 'Dark Blood Wolves' marine chapter, everything is workable)

Ever since Dark Vengeance, it feels like GW has been plagued with ADD.

Lord Damocles
28-07-2015, 18:12
If they did roll all the Spese Muhreens into one giant codex it'd be one huge expensive mess with all the unique characters and units everyone gets. Unless they get rid of everything that makes them special...
Many (most) of the 'unique' units could easily be rolled into other entries.

There's no reason Command Squads, Honour Guard, red Honour Guard, green Command Squads, black green Command Squads, and white green Command Squads need seperate entries, for example.
Similarly, there's no reason the bajillion different Dreadnoughts (12 in total?) couldn't all be based off of a single unit entry.

Beppo1234
28-07-2015, 19:32
Many (most) of the 'unique' units could easily be rolled into other entries.

There's no reason Command Squads, Honour Guard, red Honour Guard, green Command Squads, black green Command Squads, and white green Command Squads need seperate entries, for example.
Similarly, there's no reason the bajillion different Dreadnoughts (12 in total?) couldn't all be based off of a single unit entry.

indeed, and let Chapter specific formations/detachments provide the divergent chapter traits