PDA

View Full Version : Good AoS tactics video, check it out!

Tiriom
28-07-2015, 11:09
As in the title here's the link http://youtu.be/brZNxKH3T5k

Rejoice there are sane rational people starting to create good meaningful content for the new system

cheers

HalfBlood
29-07-2015, 02:32
As in the title here's the link http://youtu.be/brZNxKH3T5k

Rejoice there are sane rational people starting to create good meaningful content for the new system

cheers

Really good video. Thanks for sharing.

Half of the tactic he shows, I doubt people will think of them. It really makes the game much much deeper. I can see most units moving in wedge formation now.

Sexiest_hero
29-07-2015, 03:14
I don't agree with a few of his points but good video non the less.

HalfBlood
29-07-2015, 04:24
I don't agree with a few of his points but good video non the less.

I am curious. What don't you agree with. To me it seemed like all of his points are accurate and possible.

Tiriom
29-07-2015, 06:04
Really good video. Thanks for sharing.

Half of the tactic he shows, I doubt people will think of them. It really makes the game much much deeper. I can see most units moving in wedge formation now.

No problem, there are other people out there making good videos as well and every day people are expanding on these ideas, things like this need to be spread around to get people thinking more positively so maybe we can squash a lot of the LOL 4 page rules remarks....

HalfBlood
29-07-2015, 06:27
No problem, there are other people out there making good videos as well and every day people are expanding on these ideas, things like this need to be spread around to get people thinking more positively so maybe we can squash a lot of the LOL 4 page rules remarks....

Yea right now the community is split in two. People that want to go to 9th edition and those who want to play AoS. This is very similar when 8th edition came out. Eventually AoS will prevail.

Here is a comp I have been following. Check it out! http://ageofwargamers.blogspot.com/

Sexiest_hero
29-07-2015, 17:58
My biggest issue is his first point. Waiting for/using the second turn to set up charges only works if you aren't facing a shooty army. They go, they shoot, they go again, they shoot. you finnally get in combat, you fight, they fight, their turn they shoot into combat. Armies like beastmen just can't that much fire. my next big point of contention is the wedge formation. Notot only do you line up all your troops for shooting and magic (Stormcast call lighting, Curse of the bad moon ect) you can easily be flanked by anything and it's much to easy to punch a hole in the formation and get to the juicy bits. A bad turn dice roll will get your whole army encircled at best or blocked by hounds/harpies and blasted apart at worst.

datalink7
29-07-2015, 18:26
Yea right now the community is split in two. People that want to go to 9th edition and those who want to play AoS. This is very similar when 8th edition came out. Eventually AoS will prevail.

Here is a comp I have been following. Check it out! http://ageofwargamers.blogspot.com/

Difference being, 8th didn't execute Warhammer Fantasy Battle and the Old World to come into being.

HalfBlood
29-07-2015, 22:07
My biggest issue is his first point. Waiting for/using the second turn to set up charges only works if you aren't facing a shooty army. They go, they shoot, they go again, they shoot. you finnally get in combat, you fight, they fight, their turn they shoot into combat. Armies like beastmen just can't that much fire. my next big point of contention is the wedge formation. Notot only do you line up all your troops for shooting and magic (Stormcast call lighting, Curse of the bad moon ect) you can easily be flanked by anything and it's much to easy to punch a hole in the formation and get to the juicy bits. A bad turn dice roll will get your whole army encircled at best or blocked by hounds/harpies and blasted apart at worst.

If you find a good comp, it will balance shooting units. Also I have found that my WE shooting from GG doesn't do that much damage. A unit of 10 does ~3 wounds assuming no saves. I don't think AoS will have "all shooty" armies. Because we are allowed to make our own point costs we are able to balance how effective shooting units can be. If anything, monsters and heros are going to be what will be powerful in this game. Have you read the Phoenix rules?

I still think the wedge formation will be useful in defensive formations. So I play Daemons and WE. My current list relies on Eternal guard in Wedge formation inside forests. I have wildwood rangers 1" behind them. With waywatchers / GG in front of the Eternal guard. When the enemy gets close, the ranged units move behind my lines. If the enemy charges my eternal guard then my wildwood rangers gets to join the combat. The idea isn't to have all units in wedge formation. You have one, maybe two in the formation. Other units take different formations and support.

For armies like Lizardmen, Daemons, WoC, etc I don't think this formation will be useful since you want to be in your opponents face.

Just my two sense.

Dark Elf
30-07-2015, 12:27
Difference being, 8th didn't execute Warhammer Fantasy Battle and the Old World to come into being.

^This.
Also, AoS will prevail only because it will be much harder to gather an army/game for WHFB if you're new. If you're a vet that's an entirely different story :D

Nicreap
30-07-2015, 15:39
If you find a good comp, it will balance shooting units. Also I have found that my WE shooting from GG doesn't do that much damage. A unit of 10 does ~3 wounds assuming no saves. I don't think AoS will have "all shooty" armies. Because we are allowed to make our own point costs we are able to balance how effective shooting units can be. If anything, monsters and heros are going to be what will be powerful in this game. Have you read the Phoenix rules?

I still think the wedge formation will be useful in defensive formations. So I play Daemons and WE. My current list relies on Eternal guard in Wedge formation inside forests. I have wildwood rangers 1" behind them. With waywatchers / GG in front of the Eternal guard. When the enemy gets close, the ranged units move behind my lines. If the enemy charges my eternal guard then my wildwood rangers gets to join the combat. The idea isn't to have all units in wedge formation. You have one, maybe two in the formation. Other units take different formations and support.

For armies like Lizardmen, Daemons, WoC, etc I don't think this formation will be useful since you want to be in your opponents face.

Just my two sense.

I agree With Halfblood, it's not your entire army in a wedge formation, it is a set of units that gain advantages by being set up in such a way. How do you think it will be easy to punch through such a formation? The wedge owner pickes which models to pull off, and if his models are base2base in the wedge he can essentially remove every other model, stopping your flanking unit and still maintaining the wedge, plus without overrun, you charge in kill the wedge and stop, giving the rest of his units time to move/react/ do what they need to do to counter strike, meaning the wedge served it's purpose, it kept your units off the glass cannons buying them another turn to do what they do best, smash stuff.

Horus38
30-07-2015, 15:56
Interesting video and he also has another one up talking about composition/balance which is very good. They both offer some interesting insights into the new system and some of the tactical considerations I would have overlooked.

Sexiest_hero
30-07-2015, 20:39
You just pump enough shots into the wedge for instant lets just say we are playing a 100 wound game, and I have a 20 man unit of goblins with 5 fanatics I can out shoot, the shooy unit and counter charge the fighty bits if it gets too close (Fanatics can charge in any assault phase not just your own). while leaving them all in range of Curse of the bad moon mutible units in rang of target take d3 mortal wounds. It's just not worth it. you need those unit for board control, not some wacky deathstar clump.

jet_palero
31-07-2015, 00:08

I think the only real winner from this debacle will be other game companies.

HalfBlood
31-07-2015, 05:55
You just pump enough shots into the wedge for instant lets just say we are playing a 100 wound game, and I have a 20 man unit of goblins with 5 fanatics I can out shoot, the shooy unit and counter charge the fighty bits if it gets too close (Fanatics can charge in any assault phase not just your own). while leaving them all in range of Curse of the bad moon mutible units in rang of target take d3 mortal wounds. It's just not worth it. you need those unit for board control, not some wacky deathstar clump.

Well if you are playing "wound" based games you are playing the game imbalanced. Why take Glade Guard when I can take Waywatchers? Why take Saurus Warriors when I can take Temple Guard? Monsters are not all equal. Phoenix >> Hydra > Treeman. The list goes on. GW has given us the opportunity to comp any way we want because it's obvious that wound based isn't.

WE are one of the weaker books if you play wound based. Most of their units are very fragile and don't do much damage, however Durthu can create forests which are extremely potent for the WE army. Any unit in cover receives +1 to their save. Eternal guard have a 4+, if they go into their fortress of boughs they receive an additional +1. They will have a 3+ re-roll 1's, and 2's. Very defensive unit but is only potent in the forest.

The idea behind this is to force you to come to me.

HalfBlood
31-07-2015, 05:56
I think the only real winner from this debacle will be other game companies.

I doubt this. It seems most players will either go to AoS, or will transfer to the 9th Age. Check out the forums as the people who created the Sweedish Comp are rewriting rules for 9th edition. With additional tweaks to army books.