PDA

View Full Version : AoS or WHFB in GW stores. Older editions allowed?

Zywus
28-07-2015, 15:42
So, now some time has passed and AoS, at least for the moment, is officially the current fantasy game GW is offering. (whether it's just a new edition or a new game all together is irrelevant for this thread)

I've heard very differing reports on how various GW stores handle older editions. Some report not being allowed to play WHFB 8th edition after the AoS release. Others say they've always been able to play any GW game; even those discontinued a long time ago such as BloodBowl and Necromunda.

How's the policy of the GW store you frequent? Does anyone know whether there has been some central edict issued concerning this or are managers totally free to make their own decision?

(The topic only concerns GW stores (or Warhammer Stores as some are now re-branded as), as I would assume any independent/FLGS would at least allow gaming of anything they sell miniatures for. )

thesoundofmusica
28-07-2015, 16:08
I dont think it's draconian at all seeing how any model you purchase in a GW store can immediately be put on the gaming table and played with using the current rules. It doesnt seem weird to me that what is allowed is what is currently sold. Is it weird? If someone wanted a game of necromunda or bfg they should probably count themselves lucky to get one. But views differ as I'm sure we'll see :)

Zywus
28-07-2015, 16:38
I dont think it's draconian at all seeing how any model you purchase in a GW store can immediately be put on the gaming table and played with using the current rules. It doesnt seem weird to me that what is allowed is what is currently sold. Is it weird? If someone wanted a game of necromunda or bfg they should probably count themselves lucky to get one. But views differ as I'm sure we'll see :)
I suppose you could see it that way.

What I meant by the draconian line was that the models they sell are available for use in 8th and previous editions of WHFB as well as in AoS. I would not be very happy if I went in to a store, bought a few boxes of skeletons and a vampire and were then told I were not allowed to use those very models in one gamesystem but had to use them in another.

I removed the line though, As it's not relevant to the topic and would just cause heat. (Can't be too careful in these days of shared WHFB and AoS forums ;))

Shandor
28-07-2015, 16:41
I just can tell how its Handled in Berlin. You are not allowed to play 8th Edition in Stores here.
As far i know its not allowed but some Store managers just ignore the order in other Stores.

HelloKitty
28-07-2015, 16:51
We are freely allowed to play 8th edition in our GW store, and we have an 8th edition campaign rolling right now played in that store. The store manager has said several times that it is a policy that the GW managers decide on store by store... it is ultimately up to the manager of the store whether or not you can continue to use 8th edition in-store.

The bearded one
28-07-2015, 17:59
We are freely allowed to play 8th edition in our GW store, and we have an 8th edition campaign rolling right now played in that store. The store manager has said several times that it is a policy that the GW managers decide on store by store... it is ultimately up to the manager of the store whether or not you can continue to use 8th edition in-store.

Literally 100% the same here.

Finn Sourscowl
28-07-2015, 19:58
Anyone know what the policy is at Warhammer World?

Tokamak
28-07-2015, 20:30
I'd be shocked if they only allowed AoS in Warhammer World.

Astrella
28-07-2015, 22:49
I still think it's a pretty preposterous policy though and not one that's going to give them a lot of goodwill. :/

Tyranno1
28-07-2015, 23:06
I still think it's a pretty preposterous policy though and not one that's going to give them a lot of goodwill. :/

Its not like they were swimming in goodwill before.

Not sure how you go down from rock bottom public opinion, but GW never cease to surprise...

Dosiere
29-07-2015, 05:39
I am having trouble figuring out what could possibly be gained by telling someone with thousands of dollars in your companies product -sitting right in front of you - that can't play that same companies game on the table designed for customers to come in and play your companies games on? Why would the executives even want that to happen? oh sweet GW, how you continue to amaze.

Kherith
29-07-2015, 08:10
Played in store last night and no one was playing 8th it was all AOS, the start of a new campaign.

I don't think that they've strictly forbidden 8th or older editions, but as far as I know the assumption among players is that all games will be AOS and the staff are certainly only proactively booking people for AOS games.

Having said that theres a non Gw store around the corner where you can get a table and play what you want, so maybe that's the oldhammer refuge.

Dosiere
29-07-2015, 08:22
Who are all these people that can play at GW stores anyway? Do the GW stores around me just suck? They all have 1, exactly 1 table to play on. Do other GW stores actually have enough space to play games?

Wishing
29-07-2015, 08:40
I don't think that they've strictly forbidden 8th or older editions, but as far as I know the assumption among players is that all games will be AOS and the staff are certainly only proactively booking people for AOS games.

It makes sense to me. My logic is: When you play a game in a GW store, the main reason you are allowed to use table space is because you aren't just playing for your own enjoyment - you are also advertising a game that the store is selling, by acting as an in-store demonstration model. New shoppers who come in get to look at you and see "oooh, so that is how you do it".

This effect doesn't work as well if, when they ask you what you are playing, you answer "oh, I am playing a game that the store doesn't sell anymore".

When you are being a demonstration model, you demonstrate something that the customers can actually buy. If you don't want to be a demonstration model, then play at a club or in your own home, not in a commercial store.

stroller
29-07-2015, 08:48
My local store has two tables, both in fairly constant use. AoS and WHFB both being played. (Oh, and some game called 40K too....) Seriously tho, 30K is also played there, and I would be surprised if the local manager said no were I to bring in Space Hulk, Dreadfleet, Gorkamorka, Necromunda....

EagleWarrior
29-07-2015, 10:20
Who are all these people that can play at GW stores anyway? Do the GW stores around me just suck? They all have 1, exactly 1 table to play on. Do other GW stores actually have enough space to play games?

I move around a lot and most of the stores I've been near have several tables that they make available for people to game on as a sort of free gaming centre to support model sales. The most I've known was a store in Manchaster which had six gaming tables and a big selection of terrain. Some stores don't have the space though, and prioritise sample games for new people.

Shandor
29-07-2015, 10:33
Berlin has 3 Shops. With 4, 3 and 3 huge (you can have 2 games on one Table) Tables.
In the one i used to be you had to reserve a Table on Saturday if you want to get one.

Last saturday i seen they reduced the tables to 3.

Holier Than Thou
29-07-2015, 12:27
I move around a lot and most of the stores I've been near have several tables that they make available for people to game on as a sort of free gaming centre to support model sales. The most I've known was a store in Manchaster which had six gaming tables and a big selection of terrain. Some stores don't have the space though, and prioritise sample games for new people.

I've been into the Manchester branch today (I'm guessing you mean the one in the Arndale Centre?) buying some paints. Bearing in mind it's currently the school summer holidays, the only people in the shop were me, one staff member and a guy picking up an online order (for some TAU). I asked if you could still play WFB and was told that you can, provided you ring up in advance to book one. For pick up games it's AOS or 40k, he also said that all of the event nights have been changed to AOS.
I saw one table set up for painting and one set up for AOS, all the others seemed to have 40k stuff on them (there used to be a table set up for The Hobbit but I couldn't see that).
I asked if they had had a lot of interest in AOS and he said they had, the picture in store gave a different impression though.

HelloKitty
29-07-2015, 13:06
To be fair - to judge a GW store's activity level requires being there for a good week solid monitoring. Throughout the week ours is pretty dead, but on saturday and sunday its usually always packed.

jtrowell
29-07-2015, 13:26
Its not like they were swimming in goodwill before.

Not sure how you go down from rock bottom public opinion, but GW never cease to surprise...

First you start digging. With your hands. :p

And then GW manage so surprise you, and you get a showel, and digging starts to go faster. :rolleyes:

Then they find a way to **** their customers and former customers in a way that you didn't even imagine was possible, and you found yourself at the commands of an industrial tunnel driller. :eek:

And then temperature start to tise as you near the mantle, and you hope that GW won't fo the same for 40k that they did for Fantasy or you won't be able tou outrun the lava. :angel:

Holier Than Thou
29-07-2015, 13:55
To be fair - to judge a GW store's activity level requires being there for a good week solid monitoring. Throughout the week ours is pretty dead, but on saturday and sunday its usually always packed.

Maybe on a normal week, yes. Like I said though, it's the school holidays and normally it would be busy if not packed with kids.

The bearded one
29-07-2015, 14:04

Again - similar here. I'm not usually there on tuesday and wednesday, but thursdays and fridays are our gamingevenings so the store is usually pretty full and the tables reserved at least once, and usually occupied from early in the day until evening. Saturdays there are events (big battles, tale of X gamers, that kind of stuff) which from what I know always have at least half a dozen or so in attendance. Sundays there's some activity, as people come by and pick up some stuff before the weekend is over and the GW is closed on mondays. Most activity is probably on the friday evening.

The community at a GW store can be hit or miss in its activity. My local GW is very established, and did a good job of setting up its own store club, which keeps a lot of activity and enthousiasm going. We have some people who prefer going to this GW rather than the one in their own town, because there is a more active community here.

EagleWarrior
29-07-2015, 14:28
I can understand why they would be reluctant to let people play 8th ed, as if everyone just ignores AoS and keeps playing WFB, they stand to loose a lot of money and a lot of face.

Spiney Norman
29-07-2015, 15:07

I don't think so, personally I think it depends on the context, if it's a normal day when the store is open for business to the public then I totally understand why they'd want to keep gaming to 'live' games which they still currently support, because that helps to promote their products (ultimately the primary purpose of the gaming tables in this context). On the other hand if the context is an evening club/veterans night (do they still do those - Ihaven't lived in a city with a GW store for about 12 years), it would be pretty lame to restrict to live games only.

I'd be shocked if they only allowed AoS in Warhammer World.

Me too, considering that shortly before they started their refit they were happy for me to play a game of Man O' War on their tables with one of my buddies it would seem extremely vindictive to bring the axe down on wfb. WHW is rather different to a regular GW store anyway, the gaming space is much more extensive, and separate from the store and not principally designed to be an advertising opportunity for live products.

Holier Than Thou
29-07-2015, 15:16
I'm going to Warhammer World in September, I'll ask if WFB is allowed (going for a 40k fest with my mates) if nobody else finds out before me.

Okuto
29-07-2015, 15:47
At my local GW(still can't believe we have one) all the tables are stuffed with AoS terrain and demo armies. You have to go out of your way to ask if you can remove them.

I think it's a polite way of saying that AoS only and there's no excuse as there's plenty of demo armies to play with.

The redshirt did tell us in advance that he was postponing a store campaign for the first month of AoS release.

Only thing its done is that everyone's gone back to the local comic shop to play. It's good to see as I preferred it, always felt like I had to buy something in GW, plus you couldn't talk about other games at the GW...

HelloKitty
29-07-2015, 16:09
that all seems very weird to me. Our local non GW gaming stores have a policy that you have to buy something before you can play on their tables (i don't find that unreasonable) and we talk about other games in our GW store all the time, from xwing to armada to battletech, with the manager right there talking with us.

Okuto
30-07-2015, 04:13
that all seems very weird to me. Our local non GW gaming stores have a policy that you have to buy something before you can play on their tables (i don't find that unreasonable) and we talk about other games in our GW store all the time, from xwing to armada to battletech, with the manager right there talking with us.

Wha? You have to buy something....I'm just not use to that lol. My local non GW store is basically a library of comics and games, its set up with couches and comfortable bar stools, the owner wants people to hang around and loiter lol

Yeah at my GW store its a bit taboo to talk about non GW products. I recall bringing up how some of the warmachine merc and convergence models would fit perfect for someone's project which resulted in awkward stares. Star wars products are OK to talk about though....intil BFG comes back I guess.....

HelloKitty
30-07-2015, 04:15
Yep. We had a bad time a few years ago where people were just buying online and bringing in pirated PDFs of all the books, but using the game stores to play games. Most of the store owners got sick of it so implemented a policy where you had to buy something (anything really) before you could just come in and use the tables.

Losing Command
30-07-2015, 04:38
I haven't been to the local GW store in almost a year, but with how strict they are there with having/talking about any non-GW products I strongly doubt you're allowed to play 8th edition. But with barely enough room for one gaming table the only people who play there come for the events organised by the manager anyway.

Okuto
30-07-2015, 20:00
bringing in pirated PDFs of all the books, but using the game stores to play games.

Seriously none of us(in my local area) would still be playing 40k if we couldn't share a codex. The books have such a short shelf life nowadays and its difficult to keep up with all these supplements/formations otherwise.

The owner only buys a store copy and rightfully assume we all share. Although he makes most of his money from comics, warmahordes and mtg so he has the luxury I guess.

Shinzra
30-07-2015, 20:15
I play locally at Warhammer World on a regular basis and can say there are plenty there still playing the 8th edition Fantasy.

Yowzo
30-07-2015, 20:56
The closest GW is some 2h away so can't tell much about how their community looks like nowadays.

However there was a WHFB game going on last time I went (at the only table other than a smaller one with the AoS starter set for demo games) and the guys seemed store regulars.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

popisdead
30-07-2015, 21:15
Our local store said he has to pump AoS so no dead editions allowed.

I am guessing once AoS settles (it's smoking hot right now, can't get a table barely any night at the local GW) the odd game of End Times would be allowed much like Necromunda, Gorka Morka or Mordheim.

Frankly you can see how GW would want to push the new hotness.

Splen
30-07-2015, 21:36
I was at Warhammer World today visiting for a game of 40k with a friend. The people at the next table were playing 4th edition fantasy. The people next to them were playing AoS.

Tokamak
30-07-2015, 22:40
Yep. We had a bad time a few years ago where people were just buying online and bringing in pirated PDFs of all the books, but using the game stores to play games. Most of the store owners got sick of it so implemented a policy where you had to buy something (anything really) before you could just come in and use the tables.

I was wondering about that as well. Would printed (yes, pirated) content be allowed if it's for books they're not selling? I mean, I'd LOVE to buy some of the books, if they had them for sale.

HelloKitty
31-07-2015, 00:13
If it wasnt something they actively sold they wouldnt care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrandmasterWang
31-07-2015, 11:44
8th is allowed in my local GW

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Skargit Crookfang
31-07-2015, 17:41
It's very inconsistent across the board, it seems.

My local GW has now banned 8th, but one a couple hours away, still allows it.

Seems to be manager's discression.