PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop letter to investors 2015

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 20:24
http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2014-15-Press-statement-final-website-final.pdf

Page 6 should scare us all. They are looking at ALL product ranges and major changes are on the horizon...

Kijamon
28-07-2015, 21:03
Forge World Mail Order store in 2015 - if that is the magical free delivery to stores, it's a step in the right direction

Kijamon
28-07-2015, 21:04
http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2014-15-Press-statement-final-website-final.pdf

Page 6 should scare us all. They are looking at ALL product ranges and major changes are on the horizon...

That to me suggests better value bundle deals - possibly those online deals actually to save money.

Or they'll release more monopose guys for cheaper.

AngryAngel
28-07-2015, 21:10
They did go out of their way to tell shareholders not to worry, they won't even think of lowering their prices. Boy, I am glad to hear that, wouldn't know what to do with myself if they actually made things cheaper.

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 21:14
You are all ignoring this part, "I will review our product range. We believe this is long overdue: it is time for a resetting of the ranges. Not tweaking here and there but a top down reassessment. I expect to update you further at the half year."

AngryAngel
28-07-2015, 21:16
I'm not ignoring it, I expect the worst, so was just commenting on the funny.

my_name_is_tudor
28-07-2015, 21:28
I'll be the first of the minority to say that I think this is exciting.

A.T.
28-07-2015, 21:38
That to me suggests better value bundle deals - possibly those online deals actually to save money.
Or they'll release more monopose guys for cheaper.Page 6, "To be absolutely clear I will not be reducing the RRP of our products: they are premium priced for their premium quality"

Nothing will get cheaper, so sayeth the CEO.

Marshal_Loss
28-07-2015, 21:43
As an Australian, I am concerned that we will start having to pay a huge tax on top of FW's price as with all other GW products.

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 21:45
In terms of overall news it looks good for the first half of the year. We can expect Lord of the Rings to bite the dust, and that maybe what is alluded to in this letter. The news of Forge world is exciting and we shall see how far they push it. It does however put fuel on the fire that AoS is coming to 30/40k and I think we should move ourselves ever closer to preparing for that fact. As far as saving money for the consumer, he mentions price points. For all we know that means they will leave the bottom prices where they are and hike everything else through different ranges. Should they ever make real money saving bundles, kits, or heaven forbid price point their products fairly... I'll be in shock.

Beppo1234
28-07-2015, 21:47
Forge World Mail Order store in 2015 - if that is the magical free delivery to stores, it's a step in the right direction

I will never understand why this wasn't in place when FW first came into being, 17 years late if you ask me.

Inquisitor Kallus
28-07-2015, 21:55
I will never understand why this wasn't in place when FW first came into being, 17 years late if you ask me.

There's an irony in that staff used to get their FW delivered to the store for free since I can remember working there. I even got some things the next day. Im glad theyve finally got round to doing it for non staff customers.

Ben
28-07-2015, 22:03
Can we now get the closed future of 40k thread reopened? As it is directly relevant given what is in the report.

Lord Damocles
28-07-2015, 22:04
Already inspiring terror here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412115-Top-Down-review-of-entire-product-range-due-this-year-what-could-it-mean

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 22:11
Can we now get the closed future of 40k thread reopened? As it is directly relevant given what is in the report.

The fact it is closed is why I opened this thread lol.

WordBearer
28-07-2015, 22:37
So let me get this straight, everybody has been whining for years that GW's business practices are awful and they need to change.

And now they say they're going to change their business practices and we're whining about that.

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 22:43
So let me get this straight, everybody has been whining for years that GW's business practices are awful and they need to change.

And now they say they're going to change their business practices and we're whining about that.

Change isn't always good. The change people wanted was to be more open and consumer friendly and have fair prices (its a financial report calm down). This report doesn't seem to mention a lot of that. Though there are some hints there is someone who trolls the forums and reads what people are writing, and listening to the microphones they hide everywhere. It could also be that GW is just bad at communication in its totality. Some people and businesses make great products but suck at community relations.

WordBearer
28-07-2015, 22:48
It could just be that GW has several sublines in 40k that are woefully out of date. Armies that literally won't be complete when Finecast goes away. The way the 40k product line is set up does need a "top down reassessment" in the most basic sense. Eldar's going to have huge gaps. So is the Inquisition (who don't have any plastic models presently). Other armies like Orks or Chaos are doing better, but still have noteworthy models that are nearing retirement.

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 22:53
It could just be that GW has several sublines in 40k that are woefully out of date. Armies that literally won't be complete when Finecast goes away. The way the 40k product line is set up does need a "top down reassessment" in the most basic sense. Eldar's going to have huge gaps. So is the Inquisition (who don't have any plastic models presently). Other armies like Orks or Chaos are doing better, but still have noteworthy models that are nearing retirement.

That maybe so, but I refuse to ignore the 800 pound guerrilla in the room that is AoS. They squatted an entire universe. The world that made them a company to begin with. That's huge. They could do anything at this point.

WordBearer
28-07-2015, 22:56
The world that was making less money overall than the space marine range alone from 40k.

Dollars and cents, man. Also bear in mind that Age of Sigmar hand-wringing tends to get a rumors thread closed super-quick.

Beppo1234
28-07-2015, 23:11

I still find it hilarious that we are paying essentially the same price for plastic, as we were once paying for metal, metal being the superior material for product longevity. I still have most of my stuff from the 90s, and in perfect shape after strip. I cannot say the same about my plastic. Kind of like how my parents Japaneses built sony television lasted for almost 40 years, while newer chinese produced tvs have something like a 10 year life span.

Inquisitor Kallus
28-07-2015, 23:16
That maybe so, but I refuse to ignore the 800 pound guerrilla in the room that is AoS. They squatted an entire universe. The world that made them a company to begin with. That's huge. They could do anything at this point.

Exaggeration. They didnt Squat it, it is still there, its has just changed a great deal. Squats no longer exist in anything but the background (atm)

Mawduce
28-07-2015, 23:40
Exaggeration. They didnt Squat it, it is still there, its has just changed a great deal. Squats no longer exist in anything but the background (atm)

That is a matter of perception. They way I see it, its gone. This new thing is new and not like the old universe.

Scribe of Khorne
29-07-2015, 00:18

For all intents and purposes they did squat the WHFB setting, and the game system it used. Evolution is a thing, and you can look up red evolving to blue, but that doesnt mean Blue is Red.

brotherAkkyshan
29-07-2015, 00:25
"Shareholder value - We believe shareholder value is created, primarily, by not destroying it."

Did the CEO of a multi-national company actually write that in his shareholders report? But then again he also wrote...

"Gross margin declined in the period due to a decline in sales volumes and increased development costs due to the release of more new
products. The quality of new product we release continues to surprise and delight our customers and we plan to do so every week."

... Which translates to our sales are falling so we made more stuff, which cost us more money. The only surprise to the customer is how much the cost to them keeps increasing to offset all of this!

AngryAngel
29-07-2015, 02:32

So any change is good change is what your saying ? A rather strange point of view and through history that has proven to be false. Just because change is happening, doesn't mean it is good or positive, though he isn't going to say they are doing awful change.

He said in the report that AoS was an excellent release and alot of fun. If the company really feels that way, they view it as a positive change and if it is positive and they feel will, in the long run be good for them, I don't see why it won't trickle else where. Not to get into the fear mongering but glance at the facts and perhaps you can be concerned.

Voss
29-07-2015, 03:07
You are all ignoring this part, "I will review our product range. We believe this is long overdue: it is time for a resetting of the ranges. Not tweaking here and there but a top down reassessment. I expect to update you further at the half year."

Yep. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

What the buck are 'Greenfield Cities?' I know what greenfield lands are, but if they're going to drop Warhammer stores in rural America, they're dumber than a Sigmarine with two hammers.
Now, Boston makes sense, because...well, frankly the indie stores in Boston are few and poorly placed (and in several cases poorly run). Put it somewhere accessible and it should generate a profit by default. Barring total meltdown on 'resetting the ranges,' of course.

I'll be the first of the minority to say that I think this is exciting.

I, also. Best trainwreck ever. Making the popcorn now.
mmm. So good.

3. Explore new core trade opportunities in toy, craft, book and comic stores. This has always been a great opportunity to extend our
reach and help us find new customers. I am working closely with my advisers exploring these types of locations.
Hey. Hey! Dummy. This isn't new. You were on each and every one of these ships once upon a time. And you sunk each of them with great pleasure and malice. Sometimes more than once. I can remember buying GW products in toy stores, in craft stores, in bookstores and in comic stores. And each one got hit with the torpedo of GW's horrendous trade terms. Hybrid game/comic shops were basically the only survivors of a deliberate massacre by your trade department. Only those ignorant of your corporate history will fall for this again.

And Lo, I am your prophet. The Imperium of Man has had its warning, and the First Sign has come to pass. They are coming for you. You will be reassessed from top to bottom. Resistance is futile. All your joy and imagination will be deleted. It is incompatible with the upgrade.

Wolf Lord Balrog
29-07-2015, 03:35
There's this gem on Page 4:

I have set a goal of getting the business into sales growth in 2015/16 and have asked staff to accept a salary freeze until December
2015 to allow us to maintain our cost to sales ratio. If we deliver sales growth in the first half of 2015/16 I have agreed to back date any
salary reviews to 1 June 2015. We are all working hard to deliver this goal.

Healthy companies don't freeze salaries.

And this one Page 6:

Firstly, staff recruitment. We need a constant stream of new people to join Games Workshop across all departments and over the last
three years our Academy team has been training us all on how to find people whose personal qualities fit the jobs we need to fill. This
has radically changed how we recruit and also how we performance manage; to date our new approach has proven to be successful.
The challenge now is how do we deal with our recruitment process on an industrial scale: globally we recruit hundreds of people every
year and our rigorous approach means that to do this successfully we need to consider thousands of application letters. To help us in
this process I will be adding an expert in recruitment to my management team. This appointment should help ensure Games Workshop
has the right processes in place to recruit the people we need when we need them to deliver our growth.

They continue to burn through staff both in Retail and Trade like a wildfire. Turnover like that destroys institutional knowledge and employee morale, and prevents them from being restored as long as it continues.

Also, they just now hired a recruitment expert? A company GW's size? Really? What they really need is a retention expert, and the ability to hear what such an expert would tell them.

Voss
29-07-2015, 04:09
We need a constant stream of new people to join Games Workshop across all departments and over the last
three years our Academy team has been training us all on how to find people whose personal qualities fit the jobs we need to fill. This
has radically changed how we recruit and also how we performance manage; to date our new approach has proven to be successful.
The challenge now is how do we deal with our recruitment process on an industrial scale: globally we recruit hundreds of people every
year and our rigorous approach means that to do this successfully we need to consider thousands of application letters. To help us in
this process I will be adding an expert in recruitment to my management team
Protip: hire people for skills, not attitude. Look at resumes, not just letters.

Losing Command
29-07-2015, 05:38
... dumber than a Sigmarine with two hammers...

Ofcourse you meant a Sigmarine with two Sighammers. It is from Age of Sigmar remember, a setting in which every word starts with Sigmar, Sig, or Blood.

I wonder how many stores will agree to selling GW products. They haven't exactly created a good reputation for themselves in that area. Most stores here that would qualify already had dealings with GW in the past that all crashed on GW's trade terms.

Also : calling a AoS-style ret-con for 40k right now that invalidates all FineCast models. And requiers square bases, because people love re-basing their collections right :evilgrin:

Wintermute
29-07-2015, 06:26
Already inspiring terror here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?412115-Top-Down-review-of-entire-product-range-due-this-year-what-could-it-mean

Therefore I'm closing this thread.

Wintermute