PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

shelfunit.
29-07-2015, 13:06
So anyone made the jump yet? With only a slight fear of my laptop imploding, I am upgrading as I type (not on the same computer). As a commited technophobe, with a sideline in electronic incompetence, I am bricking it waiting...

aprilmanha
29-07-2015, 13:32
When I get home I'll give it a go on my laptop and netbook to see how it runs.
My PC will stay on 7 though as I have got it where I want it in terms of setup and really don;t want to have to change it all again now!

shelfunit.
29-07-2015, 14:19
Apparently it brings together the best bits of windows 7 and windows 8, so effectively it should be a better windows 7. Just over an hour now and "just a few more tweaks" according to the on screen message...

EDIT : "it's taking a bit longer than usual, but it should be ready soon". Normally this is the first sign of something is going wrong...

shelfunit.
29-07-2015, 14:24
Praise be to the imaginary skyman! I have a start menu again :eek:

Snake Tortoise
29-07-2015, 15:25
Microsoft are like GW or 343; constant new features that nobody wants when their stuff was fine before. I'm on 8 now and have done a few things to it to make it more like older versions (like adding the start menu) and I have no interest in having to go through all that crap again

I got the latest version of MS Office free recently but took one look at Word and uninstalled it. I'm fine with Open Office. I can't stand constant interface changes and having to learn all over again, it's maddening :mad:

Wintermute
29-07-2015, 17:00
I've been using Windows 10 for several months and I've not encountered any problems with it. Its a very nice operating system.

Urgat
29-07-2015, 18:14
It's downloading, I had to type some command to start the process.

edit: it ain't working and it pisses me off...

Malagor
29-07-2015, 19:28
I still haven't gotten my notification to download it.

shelfunit.
29-07-2015, 20:25
I didn't either - there should be a windows icon on the task bar at the bottom of your screen, click it and the download steps will follow. Took roughly 1.5hrs for mine to restart. Currently nothing has gone wrong, but I don't do much other than interwebz & games on mine, so the difference is currently more aesthetic than practical - the start menu returning is handy though, especially as it doesn't take me several pointless clicks to get to desktop anymore.

Malagor
29-07-2015, 20:37
There is no windows icon.
I tried windows update but it just said that I will be notified when windows 10 is ready to download.

shelfunit.
30-07-2015, 10:17
There is no windows icon.
I tried windows update but it just said that I will be notified when windows 10 is ready to download.

Very strange. As a complete tech incompetant I can only suggest googling.

Malagor
30-07-2015, 12:11
Well I could download and install it today.
But my friend still hasn't gotten the option yet.

aprilmanha
30-07-2015, 13:36
I imagine that based on some hidden value, the option to download is being staggered on its appearance to avoid millions of people all trying to get the software at once, and killing the download servers.

Urgat
31-07-2015, 05:49
Well, it's not a smooth ride at all for me. First it wouldn't recognize my Nvidia, now I still can't get the taskbar to work properly, start menu left click won't work, everything will load for minutes before launching. Googling won't help because of all the insider stuff that's been going on for months. I'm pretty miffed.

The Highlander
31-07-2015, 07:14
I'm thinking of getting it, to be honest my computer needs cleaning up anyway. Quick question, does upgrading to windows 10 wipe your computer?

Urgat
31-07-2015, 09:34
Nope, doesn't, unless you want it to (you're asked during install).

shelfunit.
31-07-2015, 11:23
Mine was completely fine, down to it restoring closed webpages in firefox after re-starting post upgrade. I just got an email for Windows 10 telling me what to do next having reserved it a couple of months ago. Seems odd it hadn't registered my upgrading already a couple of days ago.

Well, it's not a smooth ride at all for me. First it wouldn't recognize my Nvidia, now I still can't get the taskbar to work properly, start menu left click won't work, everything will load for minutes before launching. Googling won't help because of all the insider stuff that's been going on for months. I'm pretty miffed.

There were apparently some Nvidia issues predicted
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/) due to the auto-updates. No idea on the other stuff.

Malagor
31-07-2015, 11:36
I didn't have any problems except for windows reseting my sound settings but that's a minor thing.

Urgat
31-07-2015, 15:30
Well it's an odd thing. Everytime I reboot my computer, something is fixed, as if Win10 was simply not completely downloaded, and kept going as I used it, updating on each reboot. First the card was fixed (Nvidia app back, able to change resolution etc), then the taskbar appeard, start button now works. Odd.

Urgat
31-07-2015, 20:16
Ok, everything seems to work. Just one noob questio: I want to use Cortana, but I have no idea how to "activate" my webcam, never used one. What am I supposed to do? Can't find anything on google, it appears it's so obvious it doesn't need any explanation :shifty:

Wintermute
01-08-2015, 10:45
Ok, everything seems to work. Just one noob questio: I want to use Cortana, but I have no idea how to "activate" my webcam, never used one. What am I supposed to do? Can't find anything on google, it appears it's so obvious it doesn't need any explanation :shifty:

Cortana doesn't use the webcam.

Urgat
01-08-2015, 11:36
Cortana doesn't use the webcam.

Yes she does, she uses the mike.
Well, like everything else, it started working on the next reboot, on its own.

shelfunit.
01-08-2015, 16:41

I get the feeling this is similar to how AI will take over the world one day :p

Wintermute
01-08-2015, 17:15
Yes she does, she uses the mike.

I consider the camera and the microphone to be separate devices with separate control panels. As does Windows 10.

Urgat
01-08-2015, 18:16
I consider the camera and the microphone to be separate devices with separate control panels. As does Windows 10.
They're both part of the device called webcam that I needed to have working so that Cortana would hear me. You're nitpicking, my good man.

Wintermute
02-08-2015, 05:56
They're both part of the device called webcam that I needed to have working so that Cortana would hear me. You're nitpicking, my good man.

They're separate on my laptop.

Do you have the drivers installed?

toonboy78
02-08-2015, 06:29
first attempt at install failed...about to try again!

Urgat
02-08-2015, 09:03
They're separate on my laptop.

Do you have the drivers installed?

I have a desktop, so it's a device I plug in like everything else. The drivers were installed, yep. As I said, though, it started working on its own after a reboot. Like pretty much everything else that didn't work when I first tried.
I don't think I've got any issue anymore, everything I've tested works fine now.

Toonboy (and everybody else):
just forget about the Windows Update install, head there instead:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good old-fashioned installer, that's what I used in the end.

Wintermute
02-08-2015, 09:23
I have a desktop, so it's a device I plug in like everything else. The drivers were installed, yep. As I said, though, it started working on its own after a reboot. Like pretty much everything else that didn't work when I first tried.
I don't think I've got any issue anymore, everything I've tested works fine now.

Excellent news

This is how I installed Windows 10 on my main laptop on Friday night after spending several hours trying to find out why the upgrade application wasn't showing or working. It installed without any problems at all. (I'd already installed Windows 10 on an older laptop via the Windows Insider programme several months ago which allowed me to test the new OS and upgrade a machine running Vista for free).

Urgat
02-08-2015, 09:39
Same, after trying command lines, renaming folders and I don't know what else, I was starting to get very irritated. I don't understand why this link isn't more widely shared. I found it amongst a hundred comments at the bottom of a page. Nobody talks about it, when it's by far the simplest and safest method.

toonboy78
02-08-2015, 10:00

unfortunately that is the one i have been using.

this is the error i am getting

0xC1900101 - 0x40017

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

a quick search suggests maybe a graphics driver issue as someone had a similar issue upgrading win 8.1

Wintermute
02-08-2015, 13:04
Same, after trying command lines, renaming folders and I don't know what else, I was starting to get very irritated. I don't understand why this link isn't more widely shared. I found it amongst a hundred comments at the bottom of a page. Nobody talks about it, when it's by far the simplest and safest method.

Err MicroSoft themselves have been advocating this as one of the methods to install Windows 10 as have many other tech sites.

Voss
02-08-2015, 16:29
Went surprisingly smoothly for me, with just a few hiccups (namely, my Nvidia card not being active after the install/update*). But after shutting it down once and restarting a second time (after spending a good ten minutes squinting at the fuzzy screen trying to find the device driver interface, which has given me a nasty headache), everything seems to be working.

*apparently it went and downloaded everything over the last few weeks while I wasn't looking. Which explains why my internet connection was surprisingly slow and terrible at random times

Wintermute
02-08-2015, 18:48
Apparently a lot of people with NVidia cards had similar problems and had to manually download drivers for their cards. I was aware of this and made sure I had the drivers for mine to hand, but didn't need them.

Urgat
02-08-2015, 18:56
Err MicroSoft themselves have been advocating this as one of the methods to install Windows 10 as have many other tech sites.

Didn't see it at leastr. I'll put that down on incorrect searches, I found no good result in French, and I probably didn't type in the right queries in English.

Apparently a lot of people with NVidia cards had similar problems and had to manually download drivers for their cards. I was aware of this and made sure I had the drivers for mine to hand, but didn't need them.

Being silly and not looking stuff up before updating, I didn't know about it; apparently Windows uploaded a new, buggy driver and the Nvidia client tried to remove it as it automatically gives you the latest certified pilot (which is older) is what I read, but my problem was different, the NVidia client wouldn't even work. Then I rebooted and all was good. I honestly have no idea what was wrong and what fixed it.

Wintermute
02-08-2015, 19:07
Didn't see it at leastr. I'll put that down on incorrect searches, I found no good result in French, and I probably didn't type in the right queries in English.

I follow a number of tech sites on Twitter (eg CNET) and subscribe to the official Microsoft news letters. I also had the advantage of testing Windows 10 via the Insider Program and have been testing it for several months. All those sources have been giving advice on the OS for a few weeks now.

Voss
02-08-2015, 20:00
Actually, that was the weird part: the upgrade brought along a completely new and updated driver (which thanks to several bizarre interactions between windows8 and inVidia's stupid automated software, updated drivers weren't something I could manually install without errors under Win8). It came along with the Win10 download (I hadn't bothered trying to update for months), but simply didn't work at install. Or after a shutdown. But after a restart, the driver suddenly kicked in, without any other effort on my part.

Urgat
02-08-2015, 20:56
But after a restart, the driver suddenly kicked in, without any other effort on my part.

There you go. All the issues I had were fixed after a restart.

Nkari
06-08-2015, 06:55
Downloaded it, installed it, uninstalled the windows 7 shell I was running.

So far I like it, I HATED windows 8..

Oh and the upgrade made my USB ports work again after windows 8.1 ****ed them up and I was to scared to format C and do a clean install of windows 7 incase windows 8.1 ****ed up the USB ports properly.. it didnt.. so Im a happy camper again..

But gimme 6 months to evaluate windows 10.. but the 5 days ive been using it, it works just fíne imho.

shelfunit.
06-08-2015, 11:25
So far I like it, I HATED windows 8..

Same here, although it's still a little like saying chewing broken glass is better than being slowly run over by a sream roller.

aprilmanha
06-08-2015, 12:44
Just reset it to clear off any problems I was having but now had the graphics driver crash twice after it goes to sleep :(

ExquisiteMonkey
13-08-2015, 11:29
Updated to W10 on the laptop (no real useful data or apps on there). The scroll section on the trackpad doesn't work. Scrolling pages is a PITA now......

Otherwise, no real issues with the OS. I do have a personal gripe with the new delivery system of Windows updates - I much preferred being able to pick and choose which updates were updated, and when they were updated. Now (from what I can tell), I can only choose to defer the restart....

Wintermute
13-08-2015, 17:21
I do have a personal gripe with the new delivery system of Windows updates - I much preferred being able to pick and choose which updates were updated, and when they were updated. Now (from what I can tell), I can only choose to defer the restart....

How to defer installing updates in Windows 10 (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-defer-installing-updates-windows-10.htm)

Its not ideal but it may help.

nedsta
14-08-2015, 21:37
Updated to W10 on the laptop (no real useful data or apps on there). The scroll section on the trackpad doesn't work. Scrolling pages is a PITA now......

My laptop was the same but it started working fully again two days ago, there is still hope for you :D

Vazalaar
19-08-2015, 19:32
I have update to windows 10, so what are best browser, malware protection and other usefull programs for windows 10?

Wintermute
20-08-2015, 17:47
I have update to windows 10, so what are best browser, malware protection and other usefull programs for windows 10?

Whatever they are, they will be found here (http://www.techsupportalert.com/)

Vazalaar
20-08-2015, 18:29
Aha, thank you. I already changed some settings thanks to it.

Now what browser to use? Chrome, Firefox or the Microsoft Edge browser?

Urgat
20-08-2015, 18:46
Depends on your uses. Edge is not the final version, so, at least for now, it's more resource intensive than the others. Personally, I prefer Chrome, because I use lots of tabs at the same time, and lots of streaming (musics etc), and Firefox is terrible with that kind of combo, while Chrome rarely ever acts up because of it.

Private_SeeD
23-08-2015, 19:34
My fiancés grandparents updated and they love it, the only issue they seem to have they can no longer use AVG Zone Alarm doesn't seem to work anymore

sent from my omni tool via the charon mass relay

WLBjork
23-08-2015, 19:38
Interesting, I've had less problem with AVG than my parents did with Bit Defender.

C'est La Vie.

Wintermute
24-08-2015, 17:45
My fiancés grandparents updated and they love it, the only issue they seem to have they can no longer use AVG Zone Alarm doesn't seem to work anymore

Try uninstalling it then downloading it again ad reinstalling it. This cured the issues I had with Comodo Internet Security.

Private_SeeD
24-08-2015, 21:40
Try uninstalling it then downloading it again ad reinstalling it. This cured the issues I had with Comodo Internet Security.
I'll pass the message on wintermute

sent from my omni tool via the charon mass relay