PDA

View Full Version : Temple Guard Sworn Guardians rule

Egrimm
29-07-2015, 21:37
The Seraphon Temple Guard have a rule (Sworn Guardians) that gives+2 Bravery and +1 Armour save while within 8" of any Seraphon Heroes. Is it the Guardians or the Hero that gets this bonus?

This is the exact wording of the rule:

Sworn Guardians: Temple Guard were created to protect their masters. If this unit is within 8"of any SERAPHON HEROES, add 2 to its bravery and 1 to the result of any save rolls for it.

Horus38
29-07-2015, 21:53
The temple guard get the bonus.

Egrimm
29-07-2015, 22:26
The temple guard get the bonus.

Thanks, I got a bit in doubt as I thought if they're protecting the hero shouldn't he get the bonus? But then I thought I guess they're fighting more defensively to protect the hero by not allowing anybody to get past or something like that.

3eland
30-07-2015, 01:07
They do not gain +1 armour save.

They add +1 to any save rolls for Bravery.

Mr_Rose
30-07-2015, 06:49

When, where, and how does one make a save roll for bravery exactly?

thesoundofmusica
30-07-2015, 07:52

The exact wording is "If this unit is within 8" of any Seraphon Heroes, add 2 to it's bravery and 1 to the result of any save rolls for it."
With "It" referring to the unit.

3eland
30-07-2015, 08:29
When, where, and how does one make a save roll for bravery exactly?

No clue mate. I have yet to actually read all the scrolls lol.

The exact wording is "If this unit is within 8" of any Seraphon Heroes, add 2 to it's bravery and 1 to the result of any save rolls for it."
With "It" referring to the unit.

I guess I originally read it differently. I read it as the comma separates the "and 1 to the result of any save results for it" from the original "it" being the unit and rather "it" being the Bravery. If "it" is indeed the unit itself (which after reading it again makes more sense) then my Temple Guard just got a whole lot better. I just figured there was some sort of Warscroll out there with some special rule that made you test your Bravery and as such could add 1 to the result.

And my gaming group already thought they were tough....

Egrimm
30-07-2015, 11:57
The question originally popped up when the unit of temple guard was in cover and close to an oldblood, so 2+ save and ignore rending -1 due to their shields. By the end of the game 3 out of 10 were dead, and they were in combat since the start of turn 2. The rest butchered a unit of 10 black orcs and a warboss and there was another Hero but forgot what it was.

mhsellwood
31-07-2015, 00:41
The question originally popped up when the unit of temple guard was in cover and close to an oldblood, so 2+ save and ignore rending -1 due to their shields. By the end of the game 3 out of 10 were dead, and they were in combat since the start of turn 2. The rest butchered a unit of 10 black orcs and a warboss and there was another Hero but forgot what it was.

Yes, they are tough. Against them your opponents are going to have to have some plans (i.e. war machines have a -2 rend so are good options, Orc characters have a -2 rend with great weapons, fanatics, magic, monsters, spider riders (mortal wounds from their attacks!) etc.). In general it is why I think the game always requires some flexibility around what you deploy, rather than locking you into a pre written army list. Too many hard counters exist to be locked into an inflexible list. So if you deploy temple guard and a character what I need to deploy to counter that is entirely different to if you put down two units of skink skirmishers.