PDA

View Full Version : What is going on?

the beardless dwarf
30-07-2015, 01:07
Ok I just decided to come back to warhammer after a year or two. I went to Games Workshop site and saw 5 "space marines" on round bases with cannons and x-bows for 200$ under the warhammer section!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Then I came here to the forums and saw all this Age of Sigmar stuff. Too much to read it all.

Can someone explain to me what is going on?!?!! Is this 9th edition or it has not yet come out?

the beardless dwarf
30-07-2015, 01:11
And on the Games Workshop Warhammer section you can sort the products by Grand alliance, Faction or by Race? Did GW went mental?

taurus-marstein
30-07-2015, 01:17
Warhammer died dude. It's now a piece of crud excuse for a skirmish game with ZERO balance, space marines (sigmar-ines), with no remnants of the old fluff... the old world literally blew up, all of the armies and races are rebranded to pathetic excuses for IP protection (like Ooruks).... It's just a mess.

The Age of sh*tmar rules are 4 pages long and are posted on the GW site. Yeah, free rules, but the models cost a fricken fortune. Go figure.

The "game" is absolutely unrecognizable compared to fantasy and most players have deemed it an attempt to capture the attention of kids aged 6-12.

Katastrophe
30-07-2015, 01:18
GW added a new faction to the game called Sigmarines that have been transformed into eternal warriors and given power armor by the Emperor pretending to be the god Sigmar in order to take his great crusade across dimensional barriers. If you like marines, you love the new faction.

taurus-marstein
30-07-2015, 01:28
Don't forget that their power armor is crafted out of sigmarite, that they are trying to defend Sigmar-heim, and that sigmar renamed pizza to sigmarbread

the beardless dwarf
30-07-2015, 01:29
Warhammer died dude. It's now a piece of crud excuse for a skirmish game with ZERO balance, space marines (sigmar-ines), with no remnants of the old fluff... the old world literally blew up, all of the armies and races are rebranded to pathetic excuses for IP protection (like Ooruks).... It's just a mess.

The Age of sh*tmar rules are 4 pages long and are posted on the GW site. Yeah, free rules, but the models cost a fricken fortune. Go figure.

The "game" is absolutely unrecognizable compared to fantasy and most players have deemed it an attempt to capture the attention of kids aged 6-12.

I found this on GW web site: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules
Is this it? Is this the 9th edition? For real? I am so confused....

Buddy Bear
30-07-2015, 01:35
Welcome to the Planet of the SigmarApes.

Mawduce
30-07-2015, 02:35
I found this on GW web site: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules
Is this it? Is this the 9th edition? For real? I am so confused....

Its not 9th, there is no 9th. 8th was the last edition of fantasy. This is a brand new game. No rank and file, no points, limits to what you can bring, shoot while locked in combat at anything in range, terrain doesn't matter unless you count the aura, you can shuffle even if locked in combat, you can retreat at any time, no magic items and everything is 3 plus 4 plus or 4 plus 3 plus... just about everything.

The bearded one
30-07-2015, 03:00
For a more coherent explanation, 2 things happened: The End Times campaign, and Age of Sigmar followed it.

Fantasy was kinda tanking in terms of sales (I have heard some figures from people inside, and at its lowest fantasy as a whole was less than 10% of GW's earnings. Significantly less, in fact), so at this point it would appear GW felt the need for drastic measures.

The past year or so there was a series of 5 massive fluff books (several hundred pages of continuous story - each of these books was also accompanied by a novel version of the book's events) detailing the final campaign for the old world: The End Times. These fluff books also came with a lot of new centerpiece models, such as Nagash (his ressurection is a key plotpoint of the first book) and each book was also accompanied by a rulebook with some rules for these new models, and scenarios and terrain rules and stuff like that.

Not all five of these books were equally well-written, but I loved book 1 enormously and overall really enjoyed the narrative of the End Times. Overall I thought they were a blast, and a great celebration of fluff and ideas for potential units/armies to build (each major battle in these books was prefaced with a few pages for both of the forces involved, detailing their commanders and notable units - there were a lot of fun, inspiring details in here, and it felt rather narrative- and hobby-oriented)

The narrative of the End Times is about the final invasion of chaos (a redo of storm of chaos, basically, except leaving SoC in the dirt in terms of scale) and the attempts and machinations of the factions and characters to fight it. One key element is Nagash being ressurected, and ammassing the undead factions under his rule. The chaos invasion overwhelms the defenders of the world and their realms are destroyed due to invasion or magical calamity. The most important heroes very nearly manage to avert the ultimate doom of the world, but it is ultimately consumed by a new chaos rift.

Age of Sigmar is one of GWs new flagship games, more or less replacing fantasy (but it's not 9th edition. It is marketed as "a new game" rather than a replacement). The fluff is about Sigmar (who returns in the End Times) who after the destruction of the old world finds his way to the 'mortal realms', a new world modelled on the 8 lores of magic with each realm being themed on its lore (so the realm of shadow is very mysterious and all kinds of weird secret landmarks, the realm of fire has rivers of lava etc. He ruled these mortal realms alongside other characters-returned-as-Gods from the old world, until they started bickering and Chaos got a foothold in this new world. Sigmar sealed himself in the realm of heavens, until he eventually returned with a massive army of Sigmarines.. I mean Stormcast Eternals, who are heroes plucked from the battlefield and reforged in lightning and godly armour - Sigmar's space marines basically. Yeah, this new setting is a lot more "high fantasy" than warhammer fantasy was, and I'm not fond of it.

Age of Sigmar has a massively simplified ruleset (the rules and pdfs for all of warhammer fantasy's factions are available on GWs website for free. At least they did that bit right), and is more of a skirmishgame comparable in size to 40k. Fantasy did have a pretty steep entrybarrier, and Age of Sigmar can be played with as little as 1 character model. The big thing is... Age of Sigmar doesn't use pointvalues, so you don't really know if your armies are somewhat balanced against each other. And the lack of points is sending everyone wild.

Wintermute
30-07-2015, 06:12
Age of Sigmar is one of GWs new flagship games, more or less replacing fantasy (but it's not 9th edition. It is marketed as "a new game" rather than a replacement).

Not so. Officially GW have "relaunched Warhammer Fantasy" according to the CEO

Urgat
30-07-2015, 06:50
GW added a new faction to the game called Sigmarines

Lol no, they ain't called sigmarines :p

Wishing
30-07-2015, 07:55
Not so. Officially GW have "relaunched Warhammer Fantasy" according to the CEO

I guess we have to separate two things to get down to the core of this: The overall IP which is "Warhammer Fantasy", and the specific game "Warhammer - The Game of Fantasy Battles" (WHFB) vs. the specific game "Warhammer - Age of Sigmar" (AoS).

AoS is a new game that continues the IP of Warhammer Fantasy. It is not a new edition of WHFB, but it replaces it. So it is a new version of Warhammer, but is the first edition of AoS, not 9th edition of WHFB.

It's just like there was a first, second and third edition of Vampire: The Masquerade. Then they made the first edition of Vampire: The Requiem. It's the same IP, and the same "lineage" of games, but it is a new game taking over from an old game. Which in both the case of GW and WW, the game developers make it easy for us to see by changing the extension of the game title, but keeping the first part that identifies the IP.

Morentez
30-07-2015, 08:15
Was this topic really necessary? I mean could this complaint not have gone into one of the other dozens of topics on this matter already?

We get it; you don't like the game. Nobody can criticise you for that, but the constant reiterations of the same thread are bordering on spam now. Move on with your lives already.

the beardless dwarf
30-07-2015, 08:21
I just read the rules and what the *******! Some of the rules are a complete and total joke.
And the pricing of the models. 100$ for 5 models. That is 20$ for a single model?! I could get a regiment of 16 models for 20$. And the High Elves Battalion box costs 220$, I remember I bought mine for 80-90$.

Who is suppose to buy and play this new game? Us? I dont think so. Kids? I dont think so. The elderly? I dont think so. The dead? I dont think so.

the beardless dwarf
30-07-2015, 08:24
Was this topic really necessary? I mean could this complaint not have gone into one of the other dozens of topics on this matter already?

We get it; you don't like the game. Nobody can criticise you for that, but the constant reiterations of the same thread are bordering on spam now. Move on with your lives already.

Ah sorry but I literary just saw all this last night. I belive all of you already went over this. And I can see why so many have complaints. You can close the threat now;)

Buddy Bear
30-07-2015, 08:40

Nope. They're called Stormwrought Immortals or something equally forgettable.

Deadhorse
30-07-2015, 08:47
Ok I just decided to come back to warhammer after a year or two. I went to Games Workshop site and saw 5 "space marines" on round bases with cannons and x-bows for 200$ under the warhammer section!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Then I came here to the forums and saw all this Age of Sigmar stuff. Too much to read it all.

Can someone explain to me what is going on?!?!! Is this 9th edition or it has not yet come out?

For most people in this position who begin to understand the situation, here's a list of alternatives that you may use:

Community 9th Age project - see the warhammer forum for details, a beta of these rules will be launched in a month or so.
Warthrone, a game by the Avatars of War guys (beautiful minis) - it is based around more varied formation rules
Kings of War 2 by Mantic (***** minis) - by Alessio Cavatore who was responsible for 6th/7th ed.

All of the above games will allow you to play with your existing Warhammer army.
Cheers!

Buddy Bear
30-07-2015, 08:55
Add to that: Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition. There's no reason to quit playing it if you like it, and my local Warhammer Fantasy community plans to stick with it.

Griefbringer
30-07-2015, 09:29
And the pricing of the models. 100$ for 5 models. That is 20$ for a single model?! I could get a regiment of 16 models for 20$. And the High Elves Battalion box costs 220$, I remember I bought mine for 80-90$.

Are you from New Zealand? According to the link you posted earlier on, it seems that the website thinks that you are from there (this is also shown in the URL you pasted as the /en-NZ/ element) and the prices are thus shown to you as NZ dollars.

So if you are from US, Canada or Australia, change the country settings (little flag in upper right hand corner) to see the costs displayed in your own currency.

Flipmode
30-07-2015, 09:35
Are you from New Zealand? According to the link you posted earlier on, it seems that the website thinks that you are from there (this is also shown in the URL you pasted as the /en-NZ/ element) and the prices are thus shown to you as NZ dollars.

So if you are from US, Canada or Australia, change the country settings (little flag in upper right hand corner) to see the costs displayed in your own currency.

Hehe, I knew that was going to turn out to be rubbish but couldn't quite work out what he was doing!

Prices are high, yes, but not that high!

Griefbringer
30-07-2015, 10:05
With the current website, it is not always obvious whether you are on US/Canada/Australia/NZ website, since the currency is simply specified as $ without a clarification on which kind of dollar that is. So depending on the country settings you have on, box of five Sigmarines will be shown as being priced as $50, $65, $80 or $100, with the $ denomination in each case meaning a different thing. The country flag is always present on the upper right hand corner, but it is quite small.

Things would probably be easier if Canada, New Zealand and Australia would come up with more innovative names for their currencies.

(That said, the AoS rules themselves are likely to be the same whether you are viewing them on US, Canada, Australia or NZ website.)

DinDon
30-07-2015, 10:20
Now imagine if the currency was Zimbabwe Dollar. People would run screaming that 5 minis cost 19,784.96!!!

Buddy Bear
30-07-2015, 10:27
Now imagine if the currency was Zimbabwe Dollar. People would run screaming that 5 minis cost 19,784.96!!!

Im sure GW will get there in time. :p

Typo
30-07-2015, 12:10

No, they're called Stormcast Eternals.

But the story is that they're the boldest fallen heroes, taken from the world, their bodies magically reforged by godlike entities into something like a demi-god among men, and encased in nigh-inviolable armour.

This obviously sounds nothing at all like the selection process for Space Marines, where the boldest members of warrior culture X are taken after they fall in battle (or after intense testing) by what appear to be angels from the sky, to have their organs and bodies reshaped so that they're tougher than any normal mortal, before being encased in powered armoour suits that supposedly deflect all but the strongest of small arms fire... no, nothing at all.

Sigmarines is apt, if not accurate.

Urgat
30-07-2015, 12:35
I know, just saying that a guy asking what's new, he gets that answer, and then he goes around talking about the new sigmarine faction, well... ain't to kind to him, right? ;)

Wishing
30-07-2015, 13:13
This obviously sounds nothing at all like the selection process for Space Marines, where the boldest members of warrior culture X are taken after they fall in battle (or after intense testing) by what appear to be angels from the sky, to have their organs and bodies reshaped so that they're tougher than any normal mortal, before being encased in powered armoour suits that supposedly deflect all but the strongest of small arms fire... no, nothing at all.

It is quite funny, in a sort of naive way. It is like GW are going "hmm, these space-marines we made for this one game are super popular! we don't have anything else that is as popular as them. but we don't know why. we want something similarly popular in our other game, so it can do equally well - but we don't know what it is that makes them popular, so we'll just copy *everything* about them as much as we can".

To me, they've just copied everything *except* what makes marines so popular - their look. Sure, there are similarities, but the sigmarines look nowhere near as iconic as the marines in my book.

There are two things that make the marines stand out as badass - their helmets and their shoulder pads. The sigmarines have helmets and shoulder pads, but they look completely different. The shoulder pads are flatter, and the helmets have the weird death mask look from the sanguinary guard. Which aren't terrible - but are nowhere near as badass as the marine helmets.

They really should have copied the helmet/pad style of the normal tactical marine squad, complete with face breathing grill thing, to the sigmarines. Then they would be a much bigger hit than I suspect their current versions will be.

the beardless dwarf
30-07-2015, 13:53
Ahhh yes I was seeing prices in Kiwi Dollars :) The prices are a little bit "normal" now, but still more than they use to be. Does anyone know why GW is always raising prices? Even their bundles usualy dont have a discount.

Voss
30-07-2015, 13:54
No, they're called Stormcast Eternals.

No. They're officially named Stormcast Eternals, but they're called Sigmarines. That legacy will never die, because it is the perfectly accurate short description. The entire faction summed up in a simple portmanteau.

Deadhorse
30-07-2015, 14:03
To me, they've just copied everything *except* what makes marines so popular - their look. Sure, there are similarities, but the sigmarines look nowhere near as iconic as the marines in my book.

There are two things that make the marines stand out as badass - their helmets and their shoulder pads.

Also sci-fi weapons. A marine with a bow looks kinda off, like the USS Enterprise with a catapult latched on top. I mean sure you could make up a story to go with that, but most people will just prefer a version of the ship with phasers and photon torpedoes.

Shandor
30-07-2015, 14:04
It is quite funny, in a sort of naive way. It is like GW are going "hmm, these space-marines we made for this one game are super popular! we don't have anything else that is as popular as them. but we don't know why. we want something similarly popular in our other game, so it can do equally well - but we don't know what it is that makes them popular, so we'll just copy *everything* about them as much as we can".

There are two things that make the marines stand out as badass - their helmets and their shoulder pads. The sigmarines have helmets and shoulder pads, but they look completely different. The shoulder pads are flatter, and the helmets have the weird death mask look from the sanguinary guard. Which aren't terrible - but are nowhere near as badass as the marine helmets.

They really should have copied the helmet/pad style of the normal tactical marine squad, complete with face breathing grill thing, to the sigmarines. Then they would be a much bigger hit than I suspect their current versions will be.

For me they look like Dark Angels or Blood Angels members.

Is it a Space Marine or a Sigmarine? Or Both? :)

Wishing
30-07-2015, 14:09
Also sci-fi weapons. A marine with a bow looks kinda off, like the USS Enterprise with a catapult latched on top. I means sure you could make up a story to go with that, but most people will just prefer a version of the ship with phasers and photon torpedoes.

Marines with swords and shields look pretty awesome too though. To me, the proportions and armour design of marines just are so much more effective at looking both brutal and cool than the design of the sigmarines.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/INVICTARUS_SUZERAIN_SQUAD.html

Theocracity
30-07-2015, 14:13
For me they look like Dark Angels or Blood Angels members.

Is it a Space Marine or a Sigmarine? Or Both? :)

The Stormcast's similarity to Blood Angels aesthetics is the main reason I don't like them, actually. Golden ab armor and death masks just don't do it for me :p

Deadhorse
30-07-2015, 14:14
Well, I agree that marines work well with melee weapons, especially if these weapons have a sci-fi "feel".

Bows, though? Muskets? I can't really imagine marines with any fantasy ranged weapons. Maybe javelins might work, but still kinda meh.

Griefbringer
30-07-2015, 16:46
Does anyone know why GW is always raising prices? Even their bundles usualy dont have a discount.

I think that topic is better addressed in this thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread

As for space marines and archaic weapons, WD once upon a time showed a group of five space marines that had been armed with spears and big round shields, in the manner of ancient Greek hoplites. Those conversions looked quite impressive, especially since they were quite nicely painted.

Tuatha Dar
30-07-2015, 17:47
No. They're officially named Stormcast Eternals, but they're called Sigmarines. That legacy will never die, because it is the perfectly accurate short description. The entire faction summed up in a simple portmanteau.

Then again, it's not really an apt name to be honest. I mean, it's not like their special armor is made of something called say...oh I dunno, Sigmarite or something silly like that.

Wait...

EagleWarrior
30-07-2015, 17:51
I totally understand how the OP feels about this one. I stopped following End Times because of what they did to the Tomb Kings (Nagash and the Vampire Counts were their most hated enemies. Making them them follow him is basically like Horus comes back, kills the Emperor and all space marines have to be chaos now. No thank you), then come back to find this. I totally didn't see it coming. Yeah, they called it End Times, but some big bad is always trying to destroy the world. It never crossed my mind that they'd actually do it. :(

philbrad2
01-08-2015, 18:26
Think this one is done.

PhilB
:chrome:
+ =I= + WarSeer Moderation Team + =I= +
WarSeer Posting Guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines)
The WarSeer FAQ (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php)
The WarSeer Moderation/Posting/Forum guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=the_forums#faq_rules)