PDA

View Full Version : Sigmarine and Sigmarite paints

Griefbringer
31-07-2015, 11:45
I am not sure how many of the forum members know about it, but there are actually ranges of industrial paints and coatings called Sigmarine and Sigmarite, produced by PPG Protective & Marine Coatings. I probably would not try painting plastic models with these paints myself, but just in case somebody wants to acquire some (in order to field models painted with purest sigmarite), they seem to be distributed in the UK by Promain UK Limited.

Sigmarite paints and coatings (Sigmarite 2143, 2136, 37-B-1, 37-G-1 and 4188) can be found listed here:

https://www.promain.co.uk/category/additional-coatings-id1116

Notice that the 37-B-1 changes colour as a function of temperature, which could be interesting feature for miniatures, though the required temperature of 200 C would be sufficient to melt most plastic and pewter miniatures (no idea about resin).

Sigmarine paints and coatings (Sigmarine 35, 40, 48 and 49) can be found listed here:

https://www.promain.co.uk/category/sigmarine-id1108

In case you want more technical information, such as product and safety data sheets, please check out the manufacturer website (use Sigmarine or Sigmarite as keyword in the product search box on left hand menu):

http://www.ppgpmc.com/Home.aspx

75hastings69
31-07-2015, 11:49
I soooooo hope Sigmarite is TM'd/Copyrighted LOL, that would teach GW and their stupid IP lawyers.

BramGaunt
31-07-2015, 12:37
Wow.... one would think that, befor they 'invent' something they'd at least google it first...

Griefbringer
31-07-2015, 12:52
Checking the UK Intellectual Property Office database, Sigmarine is a registered European community trademark in class 2 (paints, varnishes etc.):

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/4/EU010530954

As far as I can tell, there is no registered trademark for Sigmarite (or Sigmar, though there is one for Sigmare). However, since Sigmarite paint is on the market there is most likely an established (non-registered) trademark for it.

I don't see GW having violated that trademark so far, since they have not used the term "Sigmarite" in any product name, especially not in the name of any paint (that recent gold colour is called "Retributor armour").

Rhasget
31-07-2015, 13:01
From what I can find, Sigmarite isn't a TM or copyright.
Sigmarine is though. Probably why they didn't get that name officially from GW :)

swordofglass
31-07-2015, 13:06
Could I register the name Sigmar then? Or would I need to have a product first?

Griefbringer
31-07-2015, 13:50
(that recent gold colour is called "Retributor armour").

To correct myself, there are actually two recent gold colours, these being Liberator Gold (TM) and Retributor Armour (TM). Both are available in small plastic pots, and Retributor Armour (TM) is also available in spray form.

Interestingly enough, if you buy the Stormcast Eternals Essentials deal from GW website, you will get 20 pots of paint, including not only Liberator Gold (TM) and Retributor Armour (TM), but paints such as Nuln Oil, Reikland Fleshshade, Runefang Steel, Teclis Blue and Ulthuan Grey.

From what I can find, Sigmarite isn't a TM or copyright.

I am quite sure that if you would ask PPG Protective & Marine Coatings, they would claim that they have trademark to Sigmarite (TM), as applying to real world paint and coating products. However, they do not seem to have registered trademark for it. Neither do they have trademark to Sigmarite as applying to a fictional metal in a fictional setting.

Could I register the name Sigmar then? Or would I need to have a product first?

You do not need to have an existing product to register a trademark. You can register a trademark for any term in any product categories, presuming that the term:
- is distinctive
- is not descriptive of the product (in the given product categories)
- is not misleading
- is not offensive
- can not be confused with an existing trademark (such as Warhammer Age of Sigmar)

Notice that GW can have pending trademark applications featuring word Sigmar that are not yet shown in the trademark registry. Should your registration attempt be in conflict with them, the application that has been left first is likely to have priority (I would need to check this out to be sure).

mrtn
04-08-2015, 14:56
Thanks for today's grin. :D

AlexHolker
04-08-2015, 18:40
Could I register the name Sigmar then?
No you could not. The purpose of trademarks is to prohibit deceptive conduct that passes your own product off as someone else's or vice versa, which is clearly not served by allowing you to trademark a name from somebody else's product because it is from somebody else's product.

mrtn
04-08-2015, 19:14
Not only that, it's a given name. It'd be as if I tried to register Donald, and then sue the heck out of the Disney corporation.

ooontrprzes
04-08-2015, 20:54
Well, now you're getting onto the delicate bleedover between trademark and copyright, and that's where the real headache begins. I've been tasked with "IP-stripping" some works before (dirty little business but it does happen). Technically Donald is legal, A cartoon Duck in a sailor suit is legal, but magically putting one on the other makes the world explode. I would say this sort of thing happens a lot in the "submission/fanfic" segment. Certain ideas become ubiquitous. This is actually the same theory by which other trademarks have been deemed "unenforceable" after a certain amount of time. The brand becomes so ubiquitous it actually becomes descriptive. Kleenex was at risk of this, as was aspirin (in fact I think they might have lost, hence me not capitalizing, but if I recall it was originally a brand name of acetasalicylic acid by the Bayer corporation). Or even...dunh dunh duuuuhhhh- Space Marine. (of course, all this conveniently avoids the golden armor of parody protection law, which was the only reason MAD magazine, Harvard Lampoon, and countless others were allowed to exist)

There really is such a thing as being a victim of your own success. I don't see that being a problem here though. In regards to the original post- I would immediately concede were I faced with an army clad in the purest of Sigmarite! Cower in wonder and awe!!! Great stuff.

AlexHolker
05-08-2015, 05:58
Or even...dunh dunh duuuuhhhh- Space Marine.
No, not Space Marine. It has been a generic term in use for decades before Games Workshop existed. It was never theirs or anyone else's, because you cannot trademark Space Marine as a term for "a Marine, but on a Spaceship", just like you can't trademark Apple brand apples.

ooontrprzes
05-08-2015, 14:49
No, not Space Marine. It has been a generic term in use for decades before Games Workshop existed. It was never theirs or anyone else's, because you cannot trademark Space Marine as a term for "a Marine, but on a Spaceship", just like you can't trademark Apple brand apples.
You mean Bob Olsen? 1932? Yeah I know, I was Being facetious, man (I figured the dramatic symphonic stab would've been a clue). Or did you mean Heinlan in "Misfit"? Interestingly enough even though it's considered defining of the trope, the novel Starship Troopers never uses the term once.

...However, in my context of "A brand being unenforceable due to it being descriptive..." well, yeah.

*edit*: now if Bob were on his game he might've had something....