PDA

View Full Version : shooting whilst within 3"

savage dominion!!!
31-07-2015, 19:54
Hey there, first of all i would like to say i had very limited experience playing warhammer fantasy 8th edition but ive really taken a shine to AoS as its a quicker/easier to learn game. I hope you can all forgive my ignorance if these are clear rules but i had my first battle with my beastmen against dark elves last night and struggled with 2 rules.

1. If any units are in in combat or within 3" example repeater crosdbowmen/archers or hydra in combat with models can they use fire breath or any missile weapon attacks and then use thier mellee attacks in the same combat?

2. The range of my bestigor attacks are 1" but i have bestigor in my chariot can they attack? Do i measure from the front of the tuskgor or the bestigors axe?

Thank you for any replies

:)

Mr_Rose
31-07-2015, 20:04
1. You are not prevented from shooting in the shooting phase, if you have missile weapons, by being within any particular range of the enemy.
2. You measure from model to model and a chariot is one model.

savage dominion!!!
31-07-2015, 20:09
Thanks alot for the clarification, it just seemed so wierd when my cygor charged a unit of 10 repeater crossbowmen and in the shooting phase they shot then combat phase used thier melee attacks i was devastated and seemed so unnatural haha. Anyways thanks for the update my friend!

Bede19025
31-07-2015, 20:55
it just seemed so wierd when my cygor charged a unit of 10 repeater crossbowmen and in the shooting phase they shot then combat phase used thier melee attacks i was devastated and seemed so unnatural

Yes, it's pretty un-intuitive.

Neckutter
03-08-2015, 03:31
Yeah, shooting in AoS is very strong. It's one of those things that you have to discuss with your opponent before the game: "hey buddy, please don't bring 30 archers, because it's too OP"

I'm hoping shooting will get fixed or clarified at a later date

thesoundofmusica
03-08-2015, 08:49
Yeah, shooting in AoS is very strong. It's one of those things that you have to discuss with your opponent before the game: "hey buddy, please don't bring 30 archers, because it's too OP"

I'm hoping shooting will get fixed or clarified at a later date

Or just bring something that can handle shooting... Kind of like what you used to :rolleyes:

Dezartfox
04-08-2015, 21:33
Or play in the realm of fire where all scenery blocks Line of sight ;)

Weez
05-08-2015, 21:25
Honestly, because it makes absolutely no sense, some of the people I play with have gone back to 8ed rules, in the sense that if you are in combat, unless you choose to move back or flee, you can't shoot.

It make sense to me that an archer is good at shooting and bad at fighting. Hence, we amended that rule. Otherwise, why not bring 50 Irondrakes and call it a game with a 3+/3+ and 4+ save.

Just no.

Aezeal
09-08-2015, 19:36
I'm a wood elf player and really shooting isn't that strong in AoS.

We (woodelves but other armies archers too) have lost range, melee troops move faster and can often charge without ever being in shooting range.
Shooting often has a relatively high wound roll and archers melee attacks are often even worse.
No stand and shoot.
A lot of shields that give reroll 1+2 vs shooting (sometimes combined with a 3+ save roll..)

And you can still only shoot in your own phase and melee in both combat phases.

Some shooters have good melee too but that often means former special or elite choices (and melee troops of that kind have often multiple strong attacks).

I've played a game without shooting in or out melee and my WE cannot do a thing.

Also I don't see the iron drakes as better than their ironbreaker counterpart.