PDA

View Full Version : How do you mark wounds?

Comandos
06-07-2006, 03:11
I have a question - you know how it is castomery to put a die next to a multi wound model that suffered a wound? I usealy put the die on the number of wounds the model has LEFT, but aperantly someone else told me he marks wounds INFLICTED. Example - let's say my writhlord suffered a wound - I would put a die with a 2 on it - 2 wounds left - but the person would put 1 - for one wound inflicted. I then told him that most people use my way - which I assumed was right as I thought my way maks more sense, but he said most people use HIS way. So, to avoid comfusion and to make sure i don't just use the exact oposite way out of ignorance - what's the traditional way to mark wounds? Mine of his way?

ffclubhero
06-07-2006, 03:15
I've always used 'Wounds Remaining.' I have these really cute uber tiny dice that even fit on a 25mm base.

striderzero
06-07-2006, 03:18
I know that all the people in my gaming group use the same 'wounds Remaining" too. I also used really, really tiny dice as well... sadly I've had them all swiped over the years.

Three Headed Monkey
06-07-2006, 03:25
Yep, wounds remaining. For one thing the information it conveys is much more useful. "What more do I need to do to kill it?" can be answered without bugging your opponent for wounds left every 30 seconds.

I've also used small plastic curtain rings as wound counters. These would show wounds dealt however, unless you started the model with rings already on it and took them off as it got wounded. Which would look kinda funny :D, especially in the case of a unit of ogres. The disadvantage of using dice to mark wounds / wounds left is that someone usually forgets what the dice is for and picks it up to roll it. Using these rings to count wounds over comes that.

ekister101
06-07-2006, 03:34
I've always used 'Wounds Remaining.' I have these really cute uber tiny dice that even fit on a 25mm base.

I use these as well and tend to mark the wounds taken - funny how people just randomly do something. I can't even think about doing it the other way.:)

If you have enough, I have about 10 of them, you can just use each as a marker and avoid any problems. Only becomes an issue in real big games. Most people have tops 2 models with multiple wounds. Although my sisters often have 11 models (9 DCAs, Inq. Lord, and Cannoness) with multi-wounds. Most of them die in a single round so I don't have to worry too much. LOL

Ekister

Unseeing Eye
06-07-2006, 03:56
I always mark wounds remaining.

striderzero
06-07-2006, 03:58
The disadvantage of using dice to mark wounds / wounds left is that someone usually forgets what the dice is for and picks it up to roll it. Using these rings to count wounds over comes that.

Gah! Almost everytime I play a game someone has just come over to a table I'm playing at asking for dice and picks up the wound counter dice.

Toppan
06-07-2006, 05:01
well...i mark units-killed-by-the-warboss but thats it, and then again, only vehicles and monstrous creatures...other than that i really dont even use wound counters. im an ork player, my dice is more useful in other places. besides, the only place i need it is in my retinue, and that place is crowded already.

Khaine's Messenger
06-07-2006, 05:04
As long as your opponent is consistant, it shouldn't matter (are the numbers getting bigger...smaller? Did you hit it with an insta-death/multi-wound weapon so it doesn't matter?). Just pay attention when you start inflicting wounds. I personally do wounds remaining, as I view the taking of wounds as a modification, not a modifier, but I can see the ease of the other method just as well. Depending on the RPG, I'll also concentrate mostly on hitpoints remaining over absolute damage taken (say, DnD) or on absolute damage taken (especially in a system where this is not often variable...a la World of Darkness).

As to the most common? From my (admittedly limited) experience, most people do it in terms of wounds remaining...but then most multi-wound models I've run into are ~2-3, so it doesn't make much difference. When you're fighting models like 'fexes and wraithlords or your 3+ wound models don't die fast...that's a tad different, I suppose.

cailus
06-07-2006, 05:07
It depends on how they're sustained.

When my Ork Warlord gets insta-killed by a missile launcher, I literally shoot him with my trusty S&W 0.357 Magnum. Models that die to flamethrower attacks get burnt with a deoderant can with a cigarrete lighter attached to it. And in 2nd ed when a model got run over by a tank, I would drive my 1986 Ford Telstar over them.

Off the topic: why are GW models so expensive. I spend thousands of dollars a year on models and never seem to scrape up more than a 500 point army...

striderzero
06-07-2006, 05:16
LOL!

Might I suggest spending some of your money on small kevlar vests for your minis ;)

lord_blackfang
06-07-2006, 07:01
I use gravestone counters, so obviously they mean wounds inflicted.

hood_oz
06-07-2006, 07:02
Wounds Remaining.

After they are hit for the first time, I mark it with the amount left. Telling my opponent that the miniature has two wounds remaining. I normally use little red glass beads. They used to be sold in most craft stores. Mostly used in card games, but they work well, as no one will pick them up and roll them. ;)

The other way is to make an little stand that fits underneath with the number of wounds remaining displayed on it. One of my friends does this, and looks really good.

Getifa Ubazza
06-07-2006, 09:08
Personally i mark wounds inflicted. I use special metal dice for this. I would do it the other way, but im set in my ways and would only get confused.

Rabid Bunny 666
06-07-2006, 09:09
Dice, always dice.

Jedi152
06-07-2006, 09:17
I use gravestone counters, so obviously they mean wounds inflicted.
Me too - i painted up little gravestone markers for my VC.

Scythe
06-07-2006, 09:27
Dice... for remaining wounds mostly.

Tough we have know to mix up and use it for inflicted wounds instead. Someway it has never lead to confusion tough. Altough it helps there are only few models with multiple wounds in most armies anyway, and even less with more than 2 wounds.

Marking vehicle damage table effects, on the other hand, is more of a pain.

Serpent
06-07-2006, 09:30
I have a tiny red dice for my Daemon Prince - there were no dark blue ones, unfortunately. :( And I always do it the "wounds inflicted" way.

The upside is that such a small dice easily fits on a base, and will never, ever be picked up and used in the game in another way.

Serpent

Overlord Krycis
06-07-2006, 09:33
I have four gravestones on my DP's base that are removable via magnets. Every time he's wounded...off comes a gravestone. On smaller models I have other markers, but its essentially the same. It does however require an explanation to your opponent, but I don't mind and neither do they usually.

Aaron M
06-07-2006, 10:18
I usually use dice for marking wounds remaining - just seems more natural to me, and like someone said above, conveys more information.

I do like the thought of some kind of base for each multi-wound model where you can mark the wounds remaining though - kind of like those Epic bases where you could slide the counter around. Really good idea.

Gen.Steiner
06-07-2006, 12:05
Wounds Remaining, with dice.

Usually use the tiny green dice that came in the Epic 40,000 box. I still have no idea what they're actually for...!

Blagrot Squigbreff
06-07-2006, 12:07
Wounds Remaining.

After they are hit for the first time, I mark it with the amount left. Telling my opponent that the miniature has two wounds remaining. I normally use little red glass beads. They used to be sold in most craft stores. Mostly used in card games, but they work well, as no one will pick them up and roll them. ;)

I also use little beads for wounds remaining but I have to disagree, people do still keep rolling them:rolleyes: . Dagnabit shoo kids (well adults too but mostly kids.)

buzzin_yoof
06-07-2006, 12:27
Another vote for wounds remaining - like a countdown to death

ArtificerArmour
06-07-2006, 12:40
We use tiny card markers from the 2nd ed for wounds remaining.

Latro_
06-07-2006, 13:26
I read the title of the thread then started thinking about stabbing my models with knives and pulling arms off to mark wounds

thats not healthy is it?

scarvet
06-07-2006, 13:33
I read the title of the thread then started thinking about stabbing my models with knives and pulling arms off to mark wounds

thats not healthy is it?
I am thinking to give them blood packs so I can drown blood! Anyway, I like wounds remaining, but sometime I will do inflicted for some opponent (I can just look at their army and face and tell which one they want)

Icarus
06-07-2006, 13:42
One of the coolest minis I ever saw was a guy who had converted the base of his Daemon Prince so that it had a little number display on the bottom. When the prince took a wound you moved the edge with your thumb and the number moved round to show the new number of wounds. I wish you could buy bases like that!

Personally I just do the wounds remaining thing with dice. I don't mind which way my opponent does it as long as they make it clear when they do it. I have caught someone trying to cheat by claiming they'd only taken 1 wound when they blatantly only had 1 wound left!

Sai-Lauren
06-07-2006, 13:49
One of the coolest minis I ever saw was a guy who had converted the base of his Daemon Prince so that it had a little number display on the bottom. When the prince took a wound you moved the edge with your thumb and the number moved round to show the new number of wounds. I wish you could buy bases like that!

Sure it was converted, the old epic titans had a similar system for shields remaining (or in the Phantom's case, the to hit modifier)?

You can also get life trackers for things like MTG.

I use wounds remaining too, but I use *drumroll* polyhedral dice - D4s mostly.

Can't roll those through confusion.:D

x-esiv-4c
06-07-2006, 13:51
I use dice to mark the number of wounds left on a model

Jedi152
06-07-2006, 13:51
GW sells them! Or at least it used to: Space Marine (the old Epic) had titan bases which told you how many void shields it had left.

lord_blackfang
06-07-2006, 14:07
Marking vehicle damage table effects, on the other hand, is more of a pain.

I just put a die on the vehicle showing the appropriate number for the result on the Glancing table.

Rork
06-07-2006, 14:10
I got some handy little wound counters from Galeforce 9 at a tournament last year. With an avatar, seer council and two wraithlords, I have plenty of models that have multiple wounds. I always mark wounds remaining since a "countdown" seems more appropriate ;).

Great Harlequin
06-07-2006, 14:39
Yep, following the crowd here, small dice for placing on the bases. It's so much easier to keep track that way, and yes, marking wounds remaining is the way it should be done. ;)

Lyinar
06-07-2006, 14:44
I had an idea to do up separate bases with blood splatters on them to stick next to the model for wounds taken...

coelomate
06-07-2006, 14:45
I'm trying to come up with a wound counter for my Godzilla nid list. Maybe spore mines or rippers on the base? But that isn't so cool logically... maybe a separate model that has counters of some kind, or something else on the base?

Three Headed Monkey
06-07-2006, 15:15
For my Thousand Sons I am thinking of converting half blasted models with arms missing or gaping wounds in the chest where green light poors out of the model. Each time I would take a wound I would just replace one existing model with a wounded model. Not sure how that works rules wise. I'll just have to make sure my opponent sees the model swap clearly.

I dont want any instances of "Hey, now he's an inch closer!" and etc.

On the other hand, I may just not be bothered :D

Fulcrum
06-07-2006, 15:31
When I mark wounds I attach a little peice of paper that shows wounds inflicted. I don't have enough dise so its difficult for me to use them as counters - especially when its easier (and much funnier) ehrn a model gets the banner of shame....

Dread Lime
06-07-2006, 15:35
MNormally I use dice turned to the appropriate number to show the number of wounds remaining.

I'm currently thinking of adding a dial or some other form of indicator to bases of my multiwound models that would serve the same function.

kermit
06-07-2006, 15:36
I have always done wounds remaining...

I also make sure that I use dice that are a different colour, or size to the ones that either of my opponent or myself use. I have had the problem of some wounds disappear from a mini of my opponent because they have "mistakenly" taken the dice away and added it back to their dice pile.

I have to agree with people, as long as you or your opponent are consistent, then there really shouldn't be a problem.

GodofWarTx
06-07-2006, 21:32
I got some handy little wound counters from Galeforce 9 at a tournament last year. With an avatar, seer council and two wraithlords, I have plenty of models that have multiple wounds. I always mark wounds remaining since a "countdown" seems more appropriate ;).

I use the same GF9 counters. They are perfect for 40k, with a set coming with wound counters from "5 wounds" on down, along with Objective markers and scatter target points for your deep strikes/ordinance blasts. The fantasy set comes with markers for 10-wounds on down. They are in the shape of blood drops, and are perfect for assigning wounds.

Imperial Stormtrooper
06-07-2006, 21:50
i must be one of the few that does wounds inflicted

The Purple Ninja
06-07-2006, 22:40
Personally, I just let my blood clot up around the area and form a scab.

I'll be defiant and state that I've always marked wounds inflicted. Up until recently I was never able to game at a shop very much, only against my primary opponent, so it was never an issue. He also put a dice for wounds inflicted up in the thornback on his uber-fex, just seemed natural that way. I myself 9/10's of the time just remember it, I know what all the wounds are for all the critters that have more than one and remembering the number inflicted was never a problem for me.

Wounds inflicted seems natural to me, because if you do wounds remaining, unless you had a dice sitting there from the get-go, it's confusing.

With a dice or counters it seems more logical to do wounds inflicted IMO, though if you do custom base mods [like the awesome magneted tombstones] wounds remaining makes more sense.

Also, this thread goes to show that gamers will ramble/argue about ANYTHING. ;)

William Moran
06-07-2006, 22:55
I place a severed Chicken head next to the model. Chicken heads are cheap! Ha Ha

Forgotmytea
06-07-2006, 22:59
Meh, I'm boring - no fancy counters or anything :p. I just use a dice. Though I use it to show how many wounds are left rather than the number inflicted :)

-Forgotmytea

Sergeant Tanthius
07-07-2006, 04:16
Another vote goes to wounds remaining.

I use white dice to mark out the wounds remaining while the black and red ones are for rolling. Me and my usual opponents don't forget it and they like the system.

I am thinking about making 3 to 4 versions of my libby once I get around doing it... One standing up straight, one shot just below the neck, one carrying a standard and running (Think DoW intro video), and finally a dead corpse holding a standard on a little hill to mark the death of my libby.

neXus6
07-07-2006, 09:56
Dice, because they are what is usually to hand. I remember to, but it just makes sure everyone knows. If I need to use the dice, I'll roll it then put it back.

I've also always marked wounds remaining. It's never cause a problem while playing a game yet, though I have ended up being confused by people doing wounds taken when I've been watching games. :p

Overlord Krycis
07-07-2006, 10:29
Sure it was converted, the old epic titans had a similar system for shields remaining (or in the Phantom's case, the to hit modifier)?

I actually have some of those bases...hmm...maybe a better way to show wounds remaining than my gravestone-magnet thingys...:D
So...another vote for wounds remaining then.

Scythe
07-07-2006, 11:48
I just put a die on the vehicle showing the appropriate number for the result on the Glancing table.

How do you deal with (non fatal) penetrating hits then?

Bob Hunk
07-07-2006, 12:02
Another vote for wounds remaining, using dice. Not sure why we do it that way, we just always have done. Although this thread has got me thinking about wound markers and such-like.

I think we do it countdown-style so that you don't have to know how many wounds the character/creature had originally, i.e. what you're counting-up to. This is less of a problem these days, as the number of wounds models have vary less then they did under 1st/2nd Ed.

Yorkiebar
07-07-2006, 12:06
I do wounds remaining with dice of a different colour to my normal ones.

bosstroll
07-07-2006, 12:06
I don't use multi wound models in my army, easiest way :)

In fantasy i use a d4 for my dragon ogres, and different d6's (to the ones i use to play fantasy) for my other characters.

Venomizer
07-07-2006, 13:04
I have a note pad with all my multi-wound models written in it, they lose a wound I put a dash through the relevant number

Steel_Legion
07-07-2006, 15:12
i just stick a small or different colour dice on the base, with how many wounds are remaining, i know alot of people do how many wounds have been caused, gets confusing when they 2 are mixed

Messiah
07-07-2006, 15:23
Wounds remaining have always been the way to go in my group..

swanson4969
07-07-2006, 15:25
I always use wounds remaining and I use the counters form Galeforce 9 very nice and they don't get rolled like dice sometimes do.

Giltharin
07-07-2006, 16:43
Dice with inflicted wounds

cheers
Gilth

Xhalax
07-07-2006, 16:50
Yup, I go with the classic of dice too. After all, it wouldn't be a classic if it wasn't so well used.

SisterMordagg
08-07-2006, 03:38
Glass beads, wounds inflicted.

EDIT: Glad beads =/= Glass beads

zealousheretic
08-07-2006, 03:52
I use dice, and usually go with wounds remaining. I think it's important to do that now, since my Carnifex can have either 4 or 5 wounds; this way my opponent can't make a mistake by looking at my carni and thinking "okay, it's taken a wound, so I just need to hit it with 3 more plasma gun shots. Whaddayamean it's still alive?"