PDA

View Full Version : halo 1 or 2

warlordgrubnatz
14-06-2005, 19:48
which halo game do you like best 1 or 2
i like them both the same

Great Harlequin
14-06-2005, 19:51
Technically Halo 2 is a far superior game but I personally got a lot more fun out of Halo: combat evolved.

warlordgrubnatz
14-06-2005, 19:53
i got more fun out of halo:1 , probably because it and splinter cell were my first x-box games.

Crube
14-06-2005, 19:56
I sucked at both - Yes I played Halo 1, sucked bigtime, and still bought Halo 2

Not a fan of either to be honest (or FPS in general)

(kinda begs the question what am I doing here, I'll get my coat...)

Firebreath
14-06-2005, 20:21
For single player: Halo 1. The setting was new, it played well and despite the way you were supposed to go backwards through the levels you did earlier, the story was engaging enough to keep you going. Or me, for that matter.

For multi player: Halo 2. Although I only play it with friends and don't have any stats on Live, the controls are great and the connection is virtually lagless. I like the single player much less. In places you have to deal with all the enemies before you can proceed, whereas in Halo 1 you could opt to run right past them. Plus, I seem to get lost a lot easier than in Halo 1. Sometimes, the route to follow isn't that clear.

And because I usually play solo, Halo 1 wins out.

Samoth
15-06-2005, 14:50
True. The single player in halo 1 is still better to this day, but halo 2 on live is awesome, so it earns my vote because of that.

Captain Brown
15-06-2005, 23:45
Halo 1

Gets my vote, better single player (even though my friends and I played cooperative to finish the missions on Elite)

Kelroth
16-06-2005, 01:21
Halo 1. Awesome awesome awesome. Halo 2 just never did it for me in the same way.

Strikerkc
16-06-2005, 01:35
I'm with Halo 1 for single player, still nothing that beats running along in Legendary mode chucking any grenade you found just to keep the enemies ducked down, unloading clips on guns you don't even remember picking up, droping a gun and getting a new one becuase reloading takes to long, running out of ammo right when an eliet's shield goes down and having to try and finish him of in unarmed combat, watchin a hunter suck down 4 plasma grenades and three frags withough missing a beat... ah, those where the good old days :evilgrin::cool::skull:

Halo 2 wins hands down on awesome quotes though. Sgt. Johnson alone is worth the price of the game :p. ("Dear humanity, We regret being alien Bastards, we regret coming to Earth ...")

Samoth
16-06-2005, 16:09
"And we most certainly regret that the core just blew up our raggety-ass fleet!"

"HOO RAH!"

:p

Or there's the "Two sticks! And a rock!" Speach.

Lord Setra
16-06-2005, 16:14
Halo 2 wins it hand downs for me.

Really like it on live becuase it is one of the best games I have played for multi player gaming.

Strikerkc
16-06-2005, 17:51
Or there's the "Two sticks! And a rock!" Speach.

"Now Usualy the Lord works in mysterious ways, but not today. What we've got here is 42 tons of armor plated, High explosive round spewing, Devine Intervention. If god is love, trooper, you can call me qupid."

Great Harlequin
16-06-2005, 17:57
For anyone who has seen the bonus disc on Halo 2, "Hold onto your potatoes!"

EDIT: And I believe that it's spelt Cupid ;)

If god is love, trooper, you can call me qupid."

Strikerkc
16-06-2005, 18:18

Probably :)

Lord_Sanguinius
17-06-2005, 00:42
I liked halo 2 better but it felt a little bit the same. The objective was almost the same: destroy halo...... protect humans. and it had some limitations that the first one didn't. for example: cant sit on side of a tank.

Great Harlequin
17-06-2005, 07:58
and it had some limitations that the first one didn't. for example: cant sit on side of a tank.
You can actually stand on the side of the tank :p
Just as effective except you also get to move around on it so you can dodge incoming fire. You can also stand on someones head (on co-op or multiplayer) and let them run around (you don't have to do anything) and you won't fall off :eyebrows:

Punk_in_Drublic
17-06-2005, 09:17
Like most others, I had the more fun with halo 1 single player, but halo 2 multiplayer. I just think the storyline in halo 1 is much more engaging, and you didn't have to play the coventant trooper, which sucked.

Later,

-Punk

Samoth
17-06-2005, 14:59
You can actually stand on the side of the tank :p
Just as effective except you also get to move around on it so you can dodge incoming fire. You can also stand on someones head (on co-op or multiplayer) and let them run around (you don't have to do anything) and you won't fall off :eyebrows:

Which is great for raising eyebrows on live.

*me and another guy guarding flag*

*I walk up, jump on top of him*

*enemies come in: "Wtf?!"*

True story. :p

Great Harlequin
17-06-2005, 18:30
Which is great for raising eyebrows on live.
*me and another guy guarding flag*
*I walk up, jump on top of him*
*enemies come in: "Wtf?!"*
True story. :p
Cool :D

I did like the Arbiter as an idea in Halo 2. I thought it was a good insight to the covenants perspective and helped fill in alot of the plot.

warlordgrubnatz
18-06-2005, 13:42
i actualy quite liked playing as the arbiter but i think you should have had to play the game as master cheif then unlocked a second arbiter campain. Also i think halo 2 possibly had a better storyline, it was at least more cinematic.

salty
18-06-2005, 13:51
hmm...

I voted for both. Halo 1 is the superior game in my humble opinion, however I just love the opening battles in Halo 2, watching the Covenant destroying Earths orbital stations, then getting to fight through rubble-strewn Earth streets and not gleaming, pretty alien ones.

Later on though, it gets very similar.

Salty :)

Azazel
20-06-2005, 13:42
Halo 2 gets my vote. Hijacking vehicles, holding two guns at once. Destructive scenery (some fun explosive barrels) and more weapons.
Sure it didnt have as much impact as the first Halo. But for reasons above I voted Halo 2. :P

Ravening Wh0re
26-06-2005, 20:47
Halo2.

both single-player can and will get boring. so multi is where its at.

in H1, i only remember really using one weapon: the pistol. that was the single most deadly gun ever.

in H2, hijacking, dual wielding, battlerifle, swords (:().
its well balanced too (since the patch)

Talkie Toaster
27-06-2005, 11:00
I think the Arbiter sections are what made Halo 2 better than Halo 1, the active camo and the teams of Elites following you around a lot of the time changed the dynamic quite a bit (instead of running in and whacking stuff, it made you stealth in, take out any particular threats to the AI and then fight, the planning wasn't exactly complex but it added a nice different layer to the gameplay)

fellows
28-06-2005, 11:57
I dunno man. Duel-Wielding, I mean it's dual wielding.

Taliesynkp
29-06-2005, 07:06
Is it just me or have all the players using mods ruined Xlive for HALO2? Whenever I log on now I run into some idiot double weilding enegy swords or something and quit.

Ravening Wh0re
29-06-2005, 16:03
Yup.
I've been put off H2 on live for about 3 weeks now. Those hax are really getting annoying.

They can jump across the map, one shot kills on battlerifle (registering as a sniper shot??)

Adept
29-06-2005, 16:36

And I believe it's spelt "spelled".

Adept
29-06-2005, 16:44
Like most others, I liked the single player in Halo 1 more, and multi player in Halo 2 more.

Maybe that's because I frickin hated playing as the Arbiter. I don't want to empathise with the alien scum. I want to make them make funny noises as I eviscerate them!

I would have liked to spend another level or two on Earth, and a few more on Halo Delta, and definately more time kicking Covenant ass on High Charity.

Was it just me, or is there a perverse sense of pleasure in belting the Brutes to death in hand to hand combat?

Oh, and the ending! I've just had to play through that last frickin level as a goddam covie (and that ain't an easy level on Legendary) and then, just when I'm about to open the ultimate can of whoop-ass on the last remaining prophet, mincing about in his floaty chair...

The frickin credits roll.

I just wanted to cry.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
29-06-2005, 17:47
Speaking purely from a multiplayer perspective, Halo 1 was a better game. It had better weapon balance, and was more of a skill oriented game than the run and gun style of Halo 2.I liked Halo 2, but Halo 1 was better designed. I also think the matchmaking system in Halo 2 is awful. I want to be able to pick my own games, not have some stupid search engine decide what I should play.

I played Halo 1 on PC, which allowed 16 man multiplayer games (that, again, I could choose myself) and the use of the Banshee, so Halo 2's online play is not special to me. Nothing on Halo 2 has come close to CTF games on Ice Fields, Blood Gulch, or Battle Creek.

Ravening Wh0re
29-06-2005, 20:49
Speaking purely from a multiplayer perspective, Halo 1 was a better game. It had better weapon balance, and was more of a skill oriented game than the run and gun style of Halo 2.I liked Halo 2, but Halo 1 was better designed. I also think the matchmaking system in Halo 2 is awful. I want to be able to pick my own games, not have some stupid search engine decide what I should play.

I played Halo 1 on PC, which allowed 16 man multiplayer games (that, again, I could choose myself) and the use of the Banshee, so Halo 2's online play is not special to me. Nothing on Halo 2 has come close to CTF games on Ice Fields, Blood Gulch, or Battle Creek.

! I can't understand what you're trying to say.
Halo2 has a much better weapon balance. Duel-wielding, although very powerful, excludes the use of grenades. Grenades have been upgraded to be deadly, and with a shorter timer.
The assault rifle in H1 sucked. It was inaccurate and absolutely rubbish at any kind of range. The battlerifle on the other hand is a delight to fire, accurate, deadly, but not too powerful.
Let's not mention needlers, eh?
As mentioned earlier, the only weapons I used in H1 are the pistol(primary), shotgun, sniper rifle, and rocket launcher.
That pistol was far too powerful and precise. especially with a zoom. I cannot stress how good that pistol was. If i saw you, 3 shots, bang bang bang, and you're dead. Totally unbalanced.

The dominance of vehicles are reduced with the advent of hijacking and rockets that track their targets, as well as destroyable vehicles.

Oh, Battle Creek and Bood Gulch are still in H2. Renamed Beaver Creek and Coagulation (and much better designed)
Wizard is renamed Warlock, and Longest is Elongation. Containment is remarkably similar to Sidewinder.

The matchmaking system is a marvel! Revolutionary, I would say.
You choose your broad gametypes, but not maps.
If you want a specific map or game, you just host a custom game. You can leave the game open for anyone to join, or you can close it and have invites only. I really can't think of a much better system.

Vberg
03-07-2005, 03:16
Personally im not a big fan of either but i prefer Halo. Halo 2 was a huge disapointment when compared to what was promised. It just didnt feel very epic.

Cheesejoff
03-07-2005, 12:34
And I believe it's spelt "spelled".

It's spelt "spelt" in Britain. Although we use "Spelled" sometimes as well.

As for my vote, H2! Because I have not player H1 single player.

Plaguebearer
04-07-2005, 16:08
both 'spelt' and 'spelled' are correct; It depends on what tense you use it in... similar to they're, their or there.

Lord Tyran
05-07-2005, 16:59
Combat Evolved

have only played a small amount of Halo 2 though but i doubt that i will play anymore unless it shows up on pc

Frodo34x
05-07-2005, 18:09
Halo 1 isn't too great on multiplayer because every server is on Blood Gulch CTF.

Aun'aart'al
08-07-2005, 20:40
Halo 2. End of story :p

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
09-07-2005, 02:47
halo 1, theyre both very good games but, halo 2s multiplayer which supoosedly got "blaanced" is a rock paper scissors game now!whoever has the better weopon wins, atuomatically. skill doesnt matter anymore, cheap tactics rule the game. the tank, which was extrremely balanced in halo 1, is now an unstoppable monster, and the rocket launcher can home in halo 2, making vehicle pointless....

Eldacar
09-07-2005, 03:35
Halo 2. To me, the Halo games are just another 1st-person shooter, but I like Halo 2 more than Halo 1 or Combat Evolved.

Ravening Wh0re
09-07-2005, 05:59
halo 1, theyre both very good games but, halo 2s multiplayer which supoosedly got "blaanced" is a rock paper scissors game now!whoever has the better weopon wins, atuomatically. skill doesnt matter anymore, cheap tactics rule the game. the tank, which was extrremely balanced in halo 1, is now an unstoppable monster, and the rocket launcher can home in halo 2, making vehicle pointless....

Oh, and which is the "best" weapon? I can't see which one weapon is best in all situations.

and agreed on the tank. but, since grenades are more powerful now, and you can hijack it, it isn't too bad. good thing there aren't many standard maps with a tank in it anyway

Aun'aart'al
09-07-2005, 06:51
Oh, and which is the "best" weapon? I can't see which one weapon is best in all situations.

and agreed on the tank. but, since grenades are more powerful now, and you can hijack it, it isn't too bad. good thing there aren't many standard maps with a tank in it anyway

Well one could just as easily argue that its near impossible for one to even get remotely close to someone whos in the Scorpion, which is rather true in most cases, just.. get the rocket launcher hide somewhere, lock on, and the tank cant move fast enough to get out of the way so he will either jump out or just take the rocket head on.

Also, vehicles are not pointless. Hell Ive managed to shoot down my cousin who was in a banshee, and I shot her down with.. get this haha, a WRAITH!! :D Personally, I think that with all the upgrades and downgrades, it creates strategy, because yeah you can most likely own someone with a rocket launcher up close if the poor bugger has only but an SMG or something, but thats why that player uses grenades, preferably plasma if they have any, to their advantage. Also, the launcher fires slowly and takes a second to reload. The SMG is just *reload* "ok Im ready to kick your rear again" while your friends hitting the panic button and hiding behind something to use for cover.

Skill is still a Big role in this game.

Ravening Wh0re
09-07-2005, 07:27
Well one could just as easily argue that its near impossible for one to even get remotely close to someone whos in the Scorpion, which is rather true in most cases, just.. get the rocket launcher hide somewhere, lock on, and the tank cant move fast enough to get out of the way so he will either jump out or just take the rocket head on.

Also, vehicles are not pointless. Hell Ive managed to shoot down my cousin who was in a banshee, and I shot her down with.. get this haha, a WRAITH!! :D Personally, I think that with all the upgrades and downgrades, it creates strategy, because yeah you can most likely own someone with a rocket launcher up close if the poor bugger has only but an SMG or something, but thats why that player uses grenades, preferably plasma if they have any, to their advantage. Also, the launcher fires slowly and takes a second to reload. The SMG is just *reload* "ok Im ready to kick your rear again" while your friends hitting the panic button and hiding behind something to use for cover.

Skill is still a Big role in this game.

No, I don't think vehicles are pointless. Rockets are limited on all maps.
Although most rocketeers will at least strip your shields and then hit you with the tube :(

The only problem I have with tanks are that you cannot snipe them out of them anymore. I thought it was a wonderful balancing factor. And it takes at least 2 rockets to take down a damned tank. Maybe it's for the best but it feels horrible to be mown down time after time.

The battlerifle is seriously deadly now. Even without the cheap combo

Haanz
09-07-2005, 22:47
Halo 2. When I first played it, I was like 'What the hell? The feel of the games totally changed! Where's my assault rifle?! This pistol looks puny and crappy!', but overall, I now much prefer Halo 2 for multiplayer. Not got any particular reasons. It just seems more combat evolved (hehe. game humour. hehe.) in general, plus Live play (though I don't do it often, we mainly just do 8 player LAN parties). Less backtracking on the single player, though of course, shorter. Neither games stories did it for me. Oh, and playing as the arbeiter sucked, mainly because you were mainly using the Needler or the Plasma weapons. I don't like the feel of either as much as a good battle rifle.

So, overall Halo 2. Because I only play it for multiplayer. Single player was just a little bonus, really. Oh! And the Multiplayer Map Pack is AWESOME.

Aun'aart'al
10-07-2005, 02:11
yeah I gotta say.. they @$#^ed up pretty good on the storyline.. I mean come on, the Covenant has a civil war just as the Humans enter the picture again, and suddenly they switch sides as they're about to whipe us off the face of the Ark?! it should have been an Alamo scene! :evilgrin: would have been nice to have some really big @$$ multiplayer levels, maybe like 2 or 3, and have the ability to have a Pelican in the level, would have been AWESOME to use that for a CTF scenario! anyway though, back on topic. *ahem* The guys at Bungie did a great job, they really did.. but they promised 15 levels and 24 hours of hardcore gameplay.. 11 levels and I beat it in 8.5 hours first day it came out, and I have the SE version.. man.. What. A. Disappointment.

Ravening Wh0re
10-07-2005, 05:15
The newest maps?

Pah, not too impressive.
Terminal and Relic are ok.

Terminal>Relic>Gemini>Elongation>Backwash

gosh, Elongation was a disappointment

Vesk
10-07-2005, 09:33
I, personally, prefer Halo 1 to Halo 2, but that is mainly because I play single player/coop most of the time.

Halo 2's single player was good, but it just didn't have the same feel as the original's did. Not to mention Halo 2 had a very very odd obsession with uneeded pop up menus :p.

Aun'aart'al
11-07-2005, 04:59
unneeded pop up menus?? dont have a clue what you mean by that, but I Will say that I didnt really like the whole.. being the Arbiter And John from time to time.. ok actually I hated it. You start out Human, so you should Be Human in the 2nd one. I did like how you could learn more about the Covenant society through the actions of the Arbiter, like where he went and who he talked to, Im really into that stuff, but.. I didnt want to Play as the Arbiter.. found it annoying switching back and forth like that so many times