PDA

View Full Version : doom 3

warlordgrubnatz
14-06-2005, 19:50
do you guys play doom 3. i am in the alpha labs, the game scares the life out of me but its one of the best ive ever played, do you guys like it.

Melchor
14-06-2005, 19:53
Yeah I like it, it has a great atmosphere. Very scary.
Didn't finish it though, I lost interest as apart from great graphics and atmosphere it doesn't offer that much. :rolleyes:

Firebreath
14-06-2005, 20:29
I'm playing this on Xbox, and if anything, it's TOO DARK!

In places, you don't see anything without the flashlight. Then an enemy comes for you, you have to drop the flashlight, grab a gun and start blasting in the dark! It's a SciFi setting where they've never heard of attaching flashlights to gunbarrels or using nightvision/IR goggles? :wtf:

Nukem
14-06-2005, 20:36
The Xbox version sucks compared to the PC version. The PC version has better graphics, more levels etc. Plus on the pc you can upload mods to where you can have the flashlight on your gun. There is also a gravity gun in doom3, but it is a easter egg and you need to figure it out yourself.
If you can't beat this game without a flashlight I feel sorry for you. Most of the monsters throw something at you or have red eyes, so you just shoot at that. I rarely used the flashlight. Takes away from the experience. Play it at 1:00 am turn up the surround sound, its scary as #@$%

The expansion RoE is fricken sweet.

My awards this year.

Best single player game : Doom3
Best Multiplayer Game : HL2 / BF2

Firebreath
15-06-2005, 15:10
If you can't beat this game without a flashlight I feel sorry for you.
Don't bother, it isn't worth the effort.

Fact is that I'm colourblind in the red/green/brown region and I don't see red eyes against a pitchblack background (I haven't so far).
Plus, I get lost easily because I'm a n00b.

I'm sure the PC version is better and all but having to use a mod for something that should have been there in the first place is wacko.

Anyhoo, carry on.

Nukem
15-06-2005, 16:55
Ah I got ya about being colorblind. 50% of my family is >< lol I will say the pc version is much better, but the xbox one isn't THAT bad, just takes some getting used to lol.

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 18:15
I've never really rated Doom 3. It wasn't scary and it was just frustrating, the flashlight thing like Firebreath said annoyed me, "oh look, it's a badly designed enemy, I better pull out my......darkness, thats not what I wanted."

On the subject of the enemy designs, upside down head spider? What? How is that scary? Skeletons with horns? Oh I'm ******** my pants right now guys.

Bah! Overrated!

warlordgrubnatz
15-06-2005, 19:08
the falshlight adds more atmosphere imo, and its not the enemies that are scary, its the atmosphere.

Kaoslord
16-06-2005, 23:37
The Flashlight/gun dilemma adds hugely to the atmosphere... you know there's something you need down that dark corridoor, and you know when you grab it, something nasty will jump out... do you want to see it coming or not?

I have to admit, past the first couple of levels, there were very few true surprises in the game... It became pretty easy to predict where monsters were going to warp in or be hiding. Actually, I'd be more surprised when there wasn't one... I managed to successfully save just seconds before each cut scene, and predict what beast was going to show up...

RoE is cool, but the ending leaves a great deal to be disired. :eyebrows: I was so disappointed...

Emperor's Light
17-06-2005, 00:23
I don't find Doom 3 scary. The "scares" are predictable. Every time a monster appears in front of you it is guarenteed that another just appeared behind you. Every time you walk into a dark area it is guarenteed that a monster will appear. Every time you pick up a weapon/ammo a wall panel will slide open and a monster will appear. Yawn.

I find the whole flashlight thing contrived. Apparently, in the 23rd century, man has discovered how to open portals to other dimensions, but has forgotten how to use duct tape to attach a flashlight to a gun. For that matter, it appears humanity has forgotten how to use both hands at the same time, since our marine - a mean green killing machine to be sure - cannot hold a pistol and a flashlight at the same time.

Having said that, I played Doom 3 in Co-op mode on X-Box Live. It was a lot more interesting when you have to work together with another person.

Nukem
17-06-2005, 04:16
Yeah ok use a shotgun and a flashlight in one hand... I want to see that. Let me know where you live.. buy a shotgun and shoot it with one hand accurately. Just because you can't use a flashlight you call a game bad. Thats pathetic. It was a great game and I enjoyed it. RoE was great, yeah after you kill Dr. Betruger it kind of leaves you hanging, but RoE was very well made. The hunters were pretty cool, and don't bring up the Gravity Gun, there was a gravity gun in the original Doom3. Its a easter egg so don't say.. hl2 had it first blah blah. My rating still stands.

Doom3 Best single player game
HL2 Best Multiplayer game until BF2

Emperor's Light
17-06-2005, 04:57
Yeah ok use a shotgun and a flashlight in one hand... I want to see that. Let me know where you live.. buy a shotgun and shoot it with one hand accurately. Just because you can't use a flashlight you call a game bad.

I assume this is addressed to me?

One, who said anyting about shooting a shotgun in one hand? I said "pistol." You do know what a pistol is don't you? In case you don't, I shall refer you to this Doom 3 screenshot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/screens.html?page=196) showing a pistol. Notice how the pistol is held in ONE HAND. What is he doing with the OTHER HAND? Hmmm...apparently it needed for something other than holding a flashlight. I wonder what?

For weapons you can attach a flashlight. Look here (http://www.dentrinity.com/shop/release.htm) to see how weapons we have today have flashlight attachments. Have these been forgotten by the 23rd century?

The real reason you can't hold a flashlight and a pistol at the same time, or that weapons don't have flashlight attachments is that the designers want to make the game more difficult by forcing you to do the weapon/flashlight switcheroo. That's called contrived.

I didn't say I didn't like Doom 3. I said the scares were predictable and the flashlight thing is contrived. If I had to give it a rating I would say it is good but not great. In the field of 1st person shooters with smart AI and level design, Doom 3 just doesn't stand out.

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 02:49
I played DOOM 3 for a while and found it...repetitive to say the least and not really frightening.

"Oh no, a desecrated corpse with a pentagram. Wonder what that means? Oh I know!"

spins around and shoots a big monster.

But the graphics were awesome, and the atmosphere was great. Don't get me started on the flashlight....whoever designed that feature should be shot.

warlordgrubnatz
18-06-2005, 13:37
Look waht im tying to tell you guys is that the developers left the flashlight atachment out on purpose. Having to hand-hold your flashlight adds to the atmosphere, it makes you choose: walk down the pich black corridor with gun drawn and risk walking into a zombie or walk down with a flashlight and risk a monster materialising.

Chuffy
18-06-2005, 17:06
Look waht im tying to tell you guys is that the developers left the flashlight atachment out on purpose. Having to hand-hold your flashlight adds to the atmosphere, it makes you choose: walk down the pich black corridor with gun drawn and risk walking into a zombie or walk down with a flashlight and risk a monster materialising.

What atmosphere!?

Oh.

It's dark.

Scary!

warlordgrubnatz
18-06-2005, 17:39
i belive the atmosphere is very efective. the darkness is one thing but the actual light effects are staggering. Then there are all the creepy noisees in the background, try sitting in a pich black room with the surround sond on and volume at full blast.

Strikerkc
18-06-2005, 17:42
I didn't find Doom3 very scary. I see so many people say "It scares me when deamons come out of no where", or that the "erie" sounds got them spooked. Granted, you've got to stay on your toes, but scared is never something that crossed my mind playing Doom3. When the first Imp I saw crawled out of a grate surounded by pipes and hissed it's little mind out at me... the First thing that went through my mind was something to the effect of "...Just wasn't happy in your dark little hiddy hole, hugh? Just had to come out and make waves. *brings out shot gun* Bad Idea."

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 23:36

But it doesn't add to the atmosphere...it just makes the game bloody annoying...NOT scary...annoying.

New ideas are appreciated but not if it subtracts from gameplay.

Firebreath
20-06-2005, 17:17
Heh. :)

I actually liked the atmosphere of the game, before the lights went out.
It was gloomy (but not pitch black), it actually gets explained why not much light is working, the way you hear through your communicator how the other marines get into a fight and get wasted...
It's cool until it gets frustrating. I like a slight challenge once in a while, but this ain't it.

Plaguebearer
22-06-2005, 22:59
While the idea that you could hold a Pistol and a flashlight in each hand; or duct tape your flashlight to a gun are valid; You'd only be able to do so with the one weapon anyways... I doubt the marine wants to remove the Duct tape and retape the gun every single time he feels like using a gun... I know I wouldn't want to... It might have been nice to have the Flashlight attached to the Shotgun or Rifle (seems the most logical choice) but oh well...

also; You seem to be hung up on minor details...

The fact that he is running around carring a Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Gatling Gun, Chainsaw, Plasmagun, Grenades, Flashlight, Full armour, Missile Launcher, BFG 9000, Data Pads, Ammunition for those weapons... etc. etc. (I'm sure I'm missing a few things) does not seem to be a logical contrast to you, but that he cannot use the Flashlight and gun at the same time, is ? or that Hell is breaking through into out dimension is something to be overlooked as well in regards to realism? It always bothers me when people point out minor errors and ignore larger errors...

Seriously, Its a game... get some Focus!

I personally thought Doom III had a good environment (No, I don't think it was scary, but games never are... the atmosphere does keep you focussed on the game though since you never know when something is going to come at you that wasn't there before); It was long enough compared to many other FPS's, the sound was good, had a good selection of weapons and was just fun overall... I'd give it an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Strikerkc
22-06-2005, 23:10
While the idea that you could hold a Pistol and a flashlight in each hand; or duct tape your flashlight to a gun are valid; You'd only be able to do so with the one weapon anyways... I doubt the marine wants to remove the Duct tape and retape the gun every single time he feels like using a gun... I know I wouldn't want to... It might have been nice to have the Flashlight attached to the Shotgun or Rifle (seems the most logical choice) but oh well...

also; You seem to be hung up on minor details...

The fact that he is running around carring a Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Gatling Gun, Chainsaw, Plasmagun, Grenades, Flashlight, Full armour, Missile Launcher, BFG 9000, Data Pads, Ammunition for those weapons... etc. etc. (I'm sure I'm missing a few things) does not seem to be a logical contrast to you, but that he cannot use the Flashlight and gun at the same time, is ? or that Hell is breaking through into out dimension is something to be overlooked as well in regards to realism? It always bothers me when people point out minor errors and ignore larger errors...

Well, it's instalation policy that everyone has to cary one of the flash lights, so you'd be able to find at least one flash light for every gun you'd carry ;).

And we're not complaining becuase it's not realistic, we're complaining ebcuase it's a complete pain that really just retracts from the game. What good is well crafted graphics and a cool atmosphere if you can't see it half the time?

Jonathan =I=
26-06-2005, 17:13
I played it and did not like it at all.

But it is scary as all hell at night with the lights off and surround sound turned up. Anyone who disagrees hasent played it this way.

Lord Zahrim
28-07-2007, 04:47
Doom 3 is a mad game, of course at times it was pretty predictable, that whole flash light argument... well it made me laugh i guess it doesnt occur to some people that it was designed that way with the distinct purpose of impeding your progress, so far as i could imagine the designers thought "well if we make them slow down and try and anticipate the next enemy they will grow more conscious of whats happening, all that leading to a heigtened sense of the environment thus SCARIER GAME!". i love how this game was made and if you've looked at Return of Evil well you can see that theres alot of whiney girls around like you saying "aw boo hoo i need a flashlight with my gun to feel safe enough to play"
and i dont get why people feel the need to create a MOD for it so that you can have a light on your gun, if it's too difficult to play without modding the game you shouldn't call yourself a gamer

Steel_Legion
28-07-2007, 08:30
I bought it ages ago... not played it, not because I dont want too, I am a big Doom fan and played them all (yep, Doom 1 when I was about 7 on my WINDOWS 95! machine! \m/ ) but after playing this one its a touch more scary, and I cant bring myself to do it much :(

plasticfrog
28-07-2007, 09:22
Outstanding game.

One of the best single player FPS' out there.

All the good points mentioned above, I agree with. What I *also* liked was that there was not as much 'weapon creep'. That is, my rifle was just as good at the end of the game as the beginning.

Soul cube... well.... it was a nice touch.

sigur
28-07-2007, 13:34
I just played Doom3 again recently and I have to say that I still don't like it much. The whole atmosphere is good of course, the scares were well-done for the first level, but from there they became annoying.

This whole flashlight thing....well, you can't argue with people who go the "I can do that so why can't the dude in the game?"-route. Anyway, the flashlight thing was an ambitioned idea but it just didn't work too well. People like to feel confortable while playing their games, even if it's a scary one. The best graphics in the world aren't worth much if the game is DARK. It's also statisfying if you see the guy you just shot drop to the ground. Another thing that the DARKNESS takes away from the gaming pleasure. Vanishing corpses are also a problem in my opinion. It's not only optical eyecandy but also helps much at seeing were you've been already and where not ("...and you shall know your way by the trail of dead").

So after I realized (again) that I don't like Doom3 much, I started looking for mods and found it: Classic Doom 1.11

It's basically Doom with the graphics of Doom3 and it was great fun. You can call me simple-minded now if you like but it had everything: It wasn't too dark, it's fast, it's carnage and it has this amazing music. All remastered Doom tracks are the best you can add to a game. It's not a very long mod but it's real fun and has this mindless, yet kinda scary Doom feeling.

The pestilent 1
28-07-2007, 18:43
What atmosphere!?

Oh.

It's dark.

Scary!

Far as I'm concerned DOOM was never about the scares, but rather having a mini gun and a billion Demons with which to vent your homicidal tendencies in the privacy of your own home, perhaps with the ocassional guttural scream when no one was around.

Vodevil
28-07-2007, 21:49
I've only played the Xbox version (I don't play PC games), and it's alright. I wouldn't say it's really all that special though, there are a lot of FPS I like more. I'd say that I like Riddick better, that there is a very different kind of FPS!

redbaron998
29-07-2007, 01:25
Yes, Great game and Alpha labs was to me the hardest and scariest part. Loved every bit of it though, wish you could have seen some more of the regular base like your living quaters before everything went crazy, but thats just cause I like seeing that stuff

Slaaneshi Slave
29-07-2007, 12:19
I loved Doom3, played it on hardest, then the unlockable difficulty. It keeps you on your toes when you can be killed in one hit by anything. :p Very fun game, but the atmosphere it was aiming at it didn't quite make. Look at AvP1 Marine levels for the correct atmosphere. :p

Inquisitor Maul
29-07-2007, 12:26
Look at AvP1 Marine levels for the correct atmosphere. :p

I still have bad dreams of the first level

"...something's moving down there." *bip bip bip bip*

*Sound of hissing aliens followed by panicked shooting from me*

MG'42
29-07-2007, 13:56
I agree with The Pestilent 1. Doom is not about wandering around in the dark getting jumped by creepies, it was at it's best when blowing away hordes of zombies with a pump action shotgun or making an imp do the chaingun cha-cha
evilgrin: