04-08-2015, 17:40
What is the best way to deal with the following army

teclis
caradryan
Alarielle the Radiant
high elf mage

high elf prince on dragon
frostheart phoenix

he sometimes takes (but need to deal with both above and with below)

20 white lions
20 spear men

The list is very hard to beat with the buffers from magic etc, the dragon pretty much gets a re-roll able 0 + save and a 6+ mortal wound ignore.

Nicreap
04-08-2015, 19:11
But what you pointed out is key, this army relies entirely on the buffs it can put out. The dragon is the hammer in this list, everything else is there to keep it moving. So you have to approaches you can take, either take fast hard hitting units, who will dive in to kill allarielle and then Teclis, and then the arch mage, effectively gutting his support. Warmachines could achieve this as well, since he can't give everyone a 0+ save. Option 2, is to just pile on mortal wound causing units, Skaven do this amazingly well. Thanqoul can do 2D6 mortal wounds, has a 26 inch range scorch, for d3 wounds, the warpfire throwers just do an automatic d3 wounds, stormvermin wit warpfire projectors do 2D3 wounds. Slap some stormvermin down as a screen and some jezzails for long range sniping, and he will be crying, because if he gets within 12 inches of your army you will roast his 0+ dragon in the shooting phase even with a 6+ against mortal wounds. And with the dragon dead, his army has no teeth really left.

If you don't have skaven it gets a touch harder, but the idea is the same, either skew heavily towards mortal wounds, or have units that can put the hurt on his supporting characters.

OR as he puts his units on the table put down a hammer and declare it get 2d3 swings at anything on this table every turn, you still sure you want to use that list?

3eland
04-08-2015, 21:45
What army(ies) do you have? Can't help you if we have no clue what you run lol.

rolly_321
05-08-2015, 06:09
It really depends on what army faction you yourself are playing. However as a very general response I think every army has some form of response. A few I can think of are:

Wood aelfs: Highbords, waywatcher lords, waywatchers all put out insane ranged fire power. Bubble wrap them with eternal guard sit in a corner and so long as you use target priority there's really not much that list can do.

Oggors: Goldtooth can pick a unit every turn and it becomes yours (or you might have to bribe the other player if you believe in applying the silly section of rules). Seriously, the better your opponents list the better this guy is.

Beastmen: Cygore help you **** down that magic phase. Your characters love to get into challenges, squish his wizards and buff your army at the same time.

Empire/Dwarf: Cannons may not be what they once were but they're still a god send against characters and monsters.

Daemons: Greater daemons and skull cannons

chaos mortals: Princes and hell cannons

Tidings
05-08-2015, 08:30
Yeah, if you play Wood Elves, there's really no point doing anything other than waywatchers x9999999 + a unit to shield them like eternal guard, then +999999 more waywatchers.
Waywatchers became one of the best units in the game with the rules as written. You should have no trouble killing either the dragon, or everything else, on turn one.

-Tidings

Vos
08-08-2015, 11:46
Or, just say "lets swap armies for a while, I'd like to see how you try and kill this as I'm not sure its a balanced list?"
If he says no then refuse to play against that list again.

Vos

swordofglass
09-08-2015, 02:37
Yeah just refuse to play. Repeated refusals will help cement your reputation as a gamer of integrity who WILL NOT SUBMIT to the WAAC powergamer mentality. No game too small to be turned down! Turning down a game near you this weekend.

Spiney Norman
09-08-2015, 08:17
Or, just say "lets swap armies for a while, I'd like to see how you try and kill this as I'm not sure its a balanced list?"
If he says no then refuse to play against that list again.

Vos

That sounds pretty unreasonable to me, my reply would be something like "there is the shelf and there is the cash register, go and buy and paint your own army if you like my list". I don't wish to be inflammatory but suggesting that I should be prepared to hand my expensive, well painted models over to random strangers just because they've asked for them is never going to happen.

Vos
09-08-2015, 10:13
It may sound unreasonable but this is a leisure activity, not work.
If I'm not enjoying it because I'm being spanked by a cheesy opponent then I'll choose to do something else with someone else?

Rather than 'rage quit' though I would be polite and point out my suggested solution. If you replied then I'd try and find a more like minded group to play with.
If I couldn't, THEN I'd rage quit and find something else to do with my spare time.

I'm glad I have friends to play with and not strangers.

Vos

The ultimate logical end point of competitive play is to go out and buy a force that consists of 8 dragons or 8 Nagash models or something similar if competitive kerb stomping is your thing.

isthatnew?
09-08-2015, 11:23
my reply would be something like "there is the shelf and there is the cash register, go and buy and paint your own army if you like my list".

Did you design AoS by any chance? :p ;)

This is the GW sales plan in a nutshell for AoS - biggest wallet wins, screw balance just outspend your opponent. It would be just perfect to teach young history students how the USA won the Cold War too :D

Aezeal
14-08-2015, 00:09
The only thing you can do against so much monsters and named characters is using the same stuff.. you will not kill them with regular troops. What that can be would really depend on what you play with. Dragon, unit's with bonus against monsters, some good ranged stuff (warmachines) are all good options.

random_toaster
08-09-2015, 13:45
Ogres can force themselves into the dragons face, depending on deployment using the formation with the stonehorn, move, run and then 3D6 charge, 9 times out of 10 making combat. Then just hammer away at it with the thundertusk stripping 6 mortal wounds each turn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucsimplyme
17-09-2015, 21:01
What is the best way to deal with the following army

teclis
caradryan
Alarielle the Radiant
high elf mage

high elf prince on dragon
frostheart phoenix

he sometimes takes (but need to deal with both above and with below)

20 white lions
20 spear men

The list is very hard to beat with the buffers from magic etc, the dragon pretty much gets a re-roll able 0 + save and a 6+ mortal wound ignore.

As noted, the key to defeating this list is dealing mortal wounds. If you don't have skaven, I would just plop down 10 casters to supplement my other forces. Have them behind your lines and all target the dragon or phoenix with Arcane bolt when they comes within range. They cast on a 5 (83% chance of success) so 8 will successfully cast, and will do an average of 2 mortal wounds each. So, on average, they will delete one monster off the table per round. Now your opponent has laid down 46 total models, so you still have 50 models you can lay down without granting him a sudden death bonus. If you want more reliable casting, run Liche Priests as your casters with a Mortis Engine, Corpse Cart, and a Casket of Souls for +3 to their castings, which means you will auto cast on your arcane bolts (so you'll output 20 wounds per round from arcane bolt on average) and this will also make you more resilient against enemy unbinding (since he has 7 attempts if he chooses to move his casters in range).

If he complains, just point out that he can already cast 6 spells per round/unbind 7 spells per round, so 10 really isn't that many more (only 3 more). Realistically, you could just run 7 Liche Priests with the three support units and, if he complains, point out that he can unbind that many spells each round, so it seems equivalent. These 7, with a 100% cast rate, will still on average delete a monster off the board each turn. If he complains that it isn't fun, just say, "Oh you think this is bad? You should try playing against a monster that saves on 0+."

Vos
19-09-2015, 11:21
Just buy 100 treemen. :)

Vos

Aezeal
19-09-2015, 20:10
Why 100 treemen, what makes them so special? They don't deal mortal wounds. Why not 100 dragonriders from one race or another?

Vos
20-09-2015, 10:35
I was being silly. Just don't play against the man - its much cheaper.
Actually, I'd advise against buying 100 treemen as you may find that you've spent a lot of money and have no one to play against.

Vos

Lordmonkey
20-09-2015, 19:09
Actually, I'd advise against buying 100 treemen as you may find that you've spent a lot of money and have no one to play against.

Vos

Pff. Some twigs & leaves from the park. Army sorted :p