PDA

View Full Version : Are Frostheart Pheonix's worth it?

yoeljb
05-08-2015, 12:03
Hi All,

Have a social tourney vs Ogres, Tomb Kings, Orcs, Wood Elves and Skaven coming up and I cant quite decide on a couple of the finer points for a High Elves all-comers list. 2000pts pitched battles. Can anyone help?

So far:

LORDS - 315 pts
Archmage - Lvl4 - On foot - High Magic - Dispel scroll - Khaine's Ring of Fury (bound Soul Quench 3) - Talisman of Preservation (4+ ward s) -*Placed in Pheonix Guard Unit

HEROES - 149 pts
Noble - Battle St - on foot - Halberd - Armour of Destiny (4+ ward) -*Placed in Pheonix Guard unit

CORE - 506 pts
x5 Reavers - Spears & Bows - Musician
x5 Reavers - Spears & Bowls - Musician
x6 Silver Helms - shields - musician
x6 Silver Helms - shields - musician

SPECIAL - 580 pts
x16 Pheonix Gaurd - Champion/Standard/Musician - Standard of discipline (=1 Ld) - both characters in unit
x20 White Lions - Musician/Standard - Lichebone Pennant (magic res 1)*

RARE - 450 pts
x3 Bolt Throwers
x1 Frostheart Pheonix

OR I SWAP OUT THE FROSTHEART FOR
X5 shadow warriors - champion with Reaver Bow
X5 Dragon Princes - Musician

Feel like I need the punch of the Frostheart support vs Ogres and hoards of Orcs, but that the extra troops to harrass and flank would also be handy, if a bit weak.

Any thoughts?

Captain Idaho
05-08-2015, 12:13
Keep the Frostheart Phoenix. It's so capable in combat and with T6 it is pretty useful.

I'd probably look for the Book of Hoeth on the Archmage. High Elves are pretty much the only army without a way to generate power dice so the boost from the book is great.

I prefer my Archmage away from the action in a block of archers casting spells. This means you can always use magic missiles etc.

yoeljb
07-08-2015, 15:18
Thanks for the reply captain.

Yeah I usually take the book over a dispel, but thanks to words from a friend, was convinced on a scroll and 2nd chance to cast soul quench cheaply..

Completely untested woth Frosty Pheonix so good to know.

My only other dilemmas are whether to have 1 less unit of reavers and silver helms in core in exchange for x20 block of lothern sea guard? Guess that would fit in with putting mage 'in a unit of archers' for magic missiles.... but really want the LD10 and 3+ ward that comes from putting mage and banner in PH Guard.

Dark Elf
07-08-2015, 17:30
From my own experience, fighting frostheart phoenix is rather nasty. I'd definitely keep it in and suggest to you the same.

Laniston
07-08-2015, 17:39
I've never regretted taking a frostheart (even though mine like to run when they shouldn't have or that lucky cannonball takes one out). The trick is to get it into combat and keep it there.

It isn't invincible, but the -1 str and ASL debuff it causes is so fantastic. It makes life for all your other units just that much better. T6 is wonderful, and there aren't a lot of times where enemies are wounding the frostheart on better than 5+. The always strikes last will help if you use swordmasters or white lions against other elves, and those times when the only models causing any wounds from your knight units are your horses.

I don't think there is an opponent in the game that the frostheart can't be useful against.

I've had mine take on big blocks of troops all by itself and hold them up for the entire game, eventually taking them down. They don't wound you easily and with str 6 thunderstomps, high WS + S on 4 attacks, you usually win combat and take little to no damage.

yoeljb
11-08-2015, 13:46
Thanks for that Laniston.

I got a chance to test the frosty out last weekend. Played a mate with Ogres.

Frosty proved to be awesome... Managed to get it around the flank, squeeze in the rear and charge his main unit of Ogres with Gen and BSB. The frontal charge was failed by my White Lions and I thought the Frosty would be in trouble... Turns out even though I couldn't thunderstomp, with a rear charge and a couple of wounds it won the the combat by itself. -1S mixed with T6 making it 6's to wound really gave the Ogres grief.

If that wasn't enough, the Frosty was then charged in the flank by the Ogre Chariot/Stone thrower.... and... although it didn't win that round of combat and took 2 wounds... it didn't go anywhere either... it tar-pitted both units until the subsequent charge from my White Lions in the front was too much and I saw both units off. The Frosty cut down the chariot/stone thrower and reformed ready to go again.

Was utterly impressed and believe the points are more than worth it.

My main question now is what to do with my core? I have two units of Reavers and two units of Silver Helms... and loved the manouverability... but have seen talk and a battle report with a big block of Sea Guard and wondered if it's worth ditching a unit of Reavers and Silver Helms for a block of 20?

It's also a hammer
11-08-2015, 16:20
Block of 20 with a sea helm in a 7 by 3 line up. If charged you can then use the sea helm ability to reform into a 5 by 4 block in combat.

yoeljb
12-08-2015, 05:35
Cheers Sergeant...

I've played around and ditched those two, my hero (in place of the Sea Helm) and had to get rid of an extra Ph Guard to afford it, but bang on 2000pts.

But do you (or anyone else) think it's worth ditching a unit of Reavers and Silver Helms for it? I'm wondering how I will fair against tough Ogres, high save Brettonians, and hoardes of Ors and Gobbos... I'll also be facing Tomb Kings and Wood Elves in the Tournament. too.

Wonder what anyone thinks of High Magic vs another lore with the armies that I'm facing also?

Captain Idaho
12-08-2015, 19:47
I keep dabbling in other lores but I think High is actually quite good since it's full of cheap to cast spells and we don't have the power dice generation for any other consistency.

yoeljb
14-08-2015, 08:31
Cheers captain...

Yeah it seems a lot of battle reps I see have the HE player using death, life or shadow... but I guess they could be tailoring to their opponent at the time.

Im going for an all-comers list that can deal with other elves, war machines, troop blocks (Orcs) and the odd monster (Tomb Kings).

My group kinda frowns on purple sun and the other initiative test spell though.

Though about fire or Life as other options.

It's also a hammer
16-08-2015, 07:58
Cheers captain...

Yeah it seems a lot of battle reps I see have the HE player using death, life or shadow... but I guess they could be tailoring to their opponent at the time.

Im going for an all-comers list that can deal with other elves, war machines, troop blocks (Orcs) and the odd monster (Tomb Kings).

My group kinda frowns on purple sun and the other initiative test spell though.

Though about fire or Life as other options.

Life is a great lore for HE especially if you can role "Throne of Vines" it will allow you to provide better regeneration and higher toughness to your units. HE already dish it out but with T5/7 and a 6/4+ regeneration they can take it to.

however I do tend to take High Magic a lot as the lore attribute is particularly good

yoeljb
24-08-2015, 12:16
Yeah I find myself 3 days out from the tournament (2 days of games) and still unsure...

My army (listed above) is all combat and offense. Minus a few bolt throwers for good measure offcourse.

I think I need a focus on hex or augments.

As such, think it has to be Shadow or Life. Love Shadow, but the attribute is useless to me. Hmmmm

Anyone else got 2 cents? ;-)

Captain Idaho
26-08-2015, 15:41
Bit late to help perhaps but I'd go Life on that list as keeping your low in numbers combat blocks around would be a good idea.

ForsetisMuse
31-08-2015, 16:43
You should stick with frosty, he is very important vs dark elves, giving your units rerolls against them.