PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar command question

R.D.
05-08-2015, 19:29
Quick question--is there any mention of Dark Eldar field commanders other than Archons who conduct raids, or is it always the head of the Kabal coming along?

mightymconeshot
05-08-2015, 19:57
No there used to be a lower level HQ for DE that GW dropped. It started with a d and I believe it was drachon?

Denny
05-08-2015, 20:05
No there used to be a lower level HQ for DE that GW dropped. It started with a d and I believe it was drachon?

Dracon. They still exist but are squad leaders for Trueborn.

I think we can infer from the previous Dark Eldar codex that Dark Eldar commanders give themselves all sorts of titles (like the Duke or Baron) providing they can get away with it. I doubt there are any formal rules; each Archon would award his own titles and roles and they probably vary significantly.

Karhedron
06-08-2015, 10:58
Wyches (led by a Succubus) often lead raids to capture new opponents for their arenas. Similarly Haemonculae sometimes lead raids to capture fresh specimens.

In both cases, they may lead pure armies of their own followers or they may call in favours owed by Kabals and bring along warriors for support.

blackcherry
06-08-2015, 12:25
Dracon. They still exist but are squad leaders for Trueborn.

I think we can infer from the previous Dark Eldar codex that Dark Eldar commanders give themselves all sorts of titles (like the Duke or Baron) providing they can get away with it. I doubt there are any formal rules; each Archon would award his own titles and roles and they probably vary significantly.

I think Denny's answer is probably the most accurate. Dark Eldar society is, by design it seems, meant to be disorganized and chaotic. Most of the city is barely kept in check by fear or desperation by Vect and there are some sections he leaves to themselves. Even then, (and as the Dark Path series shows) if you get an Archon with a big enough ego, they'll nearly destroy the whole city if it means there's a chance they'll come out on top.

Standard naming conventions don't really suit the Dark Eldar.

Dr.Clock
12-08-2015, 18:15
It's worth noting that a 'Kabal' can be as big or as little as you want it to be.

There's little, it seems, to stop any old guy from calling himself an Archon, other than that it will draw the attentions of others, whom he's likely to have to try and kill to 'get away with calling himself that'. It's also worth noting that the networks of alliances in the Dark City mean that it's not at all true that 'all Archons are created equal' - that many different Kabals will have alliances or rivalries with others, and even 'chains of command' from one Archon to his 'lessers'...

Basically, any organizational model for a Kabal or group of Kabals, Cults and Covens that you can think up is completely within the realm of possibility...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

inq.serge
13-08-2015, 07:08
Also, It's important to remember two things: #1: Commorragh is an over the top parody of Libertarianism, and thus, everything DE is libertarian and privatized. Including these "Armies"

And: #2: The DE "Armies" are not real (structured military) armies like the Imperial guard armies; They are more like hunting teams, and their raids are more like hunts than battles of war.

Thus; If we compare to RL situation, DE (Especially the true-born) are rich brats who bought the coolest guns civilian can buy (with their parents money), added a LMG on top of the Ferrari they got for their birthday, and took a trip to Daesh-controlled areas to hunt human beings. Just for fun.

Also, since DE can regenerate any damage, even be brought back from the dead, and thus are virtually immortal (as long as they can afford it), killing marines for fun is their equivalent of playing Battlefield 4. It's not like DE die in their battles (Well, maybe the really poor, like hellions and incompetent Wyches).

R.D.
13-08-2015, 18:10
Also, It's important to remember two things: #1: Commorragh is an over the top parody of Libertarianism, and thus, everything DE is libertarian and privatized. Including these "Armies"

And: #2: The DE "Armies" are not real (structured military) armies like the Imperial guard armies; They are more like hunting teams, and their raids are more like hunts than battles of war.

Thus; If we compare to RL situation, DE (Especially the true-born) are rich brats who bought the coolest guns civilian can buy (with their parents money), added a LMG on top of the Ferrari they got for their birthday, and took a trip to Daesh-controlled areas to hunt human beings. Just for fun.

Also, since DE can regenerate any damage, even be brought back from the dead, and thus are virtually immortal (as long as they can afford it), killing marines for fun is their equivalent of playing Battlefield 4. It's not like DE die in their battles (Well, maybe the really poor, like hellions and incompetent Wyches).

Hm, even if they get reduced to atoms after being blasted by a meltagun?

inq.serge
13-08-2015, 20:11
Hm, even if they get reduced to atoms after being blasted by a meltagun?

Yes.

Well, maybe the warriors and true-born can't always afford that, But haemons can. They can even survive worse. In fact, in the "Haemonculi covens" book (Which is an awesome book), There are cults of haemonculi who try to die in ways they never died before, as a hobby, just for fun. In fact, other haemonculi are amongst the only things in the entire 40k universe capable of permanently killing a haemonculus.

R.D.
14-08-2015, 02:50
Yes.

Well, maybe the warriors and true-born can't always afford that, But haemons can. They can even survive worse. In fact, in the "Haemonculi covens" book (Which is an awesome book), There are cults of haemonculi who try to die in ways they never died before, as a hobby, just for fun. In fact, other haemonculi are amongst the only things in the entire 40k universe capable of permanently killing a haemonculus.

Vortex grenades would surely do the trick?

Yep, I'm going to apply the attitude of a DND player to this. ;)

mightymconeshot
14-08-2015, 04:01
If even a finger survives they can regrow the person in question. And several powerful and rich DE keep spare limbs on ice back at base so if they are completely atomized, they have already paid a loyal doc to regrow them upon news of their death.

inq.serge
14-08-2015, 17:59
The less that remains of a DE the quicker it needs to go to the hospital to survive.

Haemonculi however, they do not need any physical parts remaining to get regrown in a new body, they're like Techno-liches with phylacteries and such.

Most DE wouldn't survive a Vortex 'nade, but a haemonculus would. As would Vect.

As for DnD Mentality; Don't Disrespect the Vect, he's the master of such trickery. He even has a trap that teleports armies into the middle of a sun. Vect was a pretty average DE born a slave, with no prophesies, no super-power, psy-power, unnatural talents, divine blessings, rich parents, superior intellect or plain dumb luck, nor was he chosen by any gods. No, he's a self-made man who worked his way to the top, and learned a lot of tricks, and even better, learned how to invent tricks, on the way. If you want a hero who is a self-made man with cunning DnD-mentality, Vect's the guy for you!

Rogue Star
14-08-2015, 18:21
Vortex grenades would surely do the trick?

If even a finger remains, the Haemonculi, with time, can regrow the subject. It's also worth noting, this flesh part doesn't need to be post-death; if a Archon is paranoid and influential enough, he can have snipped off every digit on his right hand, sent them in little stasis-chests to well-paid Haemonculus flesh-laboratories, simply have the missing digits regrown, then if he meets an unfortunate end at some point in the future - well, there are multiple sources he can be regrown from; he might even return as several duplicates if the Covens successfully regrow him from each portion!

So yes, getting rid of a Dark Eldar Archon can be difficult. Not impossible... ;)

Razios
14-08-2015, 19:08
You know, after I saw the purge I think the movie show how comorragh look like.....just, all the time

R.D.
14-08-2015, 19:21
The less that remains of a DE the quicker it needs to go to the hospital to survive.

Haemonculi however, they do not need any physical parts remaining to get regrown in a new body, they're like Techno-liches with phylacteries and such.

Most DE wouldn't survive a Vortex 'nade, but a haemonculus would. As would Vect.

As for DnD Mentality; Don't Disrespect the Vect, he's the master of such trickery. He even has a trap that teleports armies into the middle of a sun. Vect was a pretty average DE born a slave, with no prophesies, no super-power, psy-power, unnatural talents, divine blessings, rich parents, superior intellect or plain dumb luck, nor was he chosen by any gods. No, he's a self-made man who worked his way to the top, and learned a lot of tricks, and even better, learned how to invent tricks, on the way. If you want a hero who is a self-made man with cunning DnD-mentality, Vect's the guy for you!

Surely if a Dark Eldar was pulled into the warp by a vortex, Slaanesh grabs his soul and he's pretty much done for? Can souls be cloned too? That would raise some interesting questions...

Rogue Star
14-08-2015, 19:36
Surely if a Dark Eldar was pulled into the warp by a vortex, Slaanesh grabs his soul and he's pretty much done for?

Any part of his physical remains preserved by the Haemonculi acts as a psychic tether for the soul. It gets yanked back to his body.

Razios
14-08-2015, 20:52
Any part of his physical remains preserved by the Haemonculi acts as a psychic tether for the soul. It gets yanked back to his body.

Granted, each time they come back they lost a little bit of their sanity....yeah, that is not good at all

Denny
14-08-2015, 21:04
Granted, each time they come back they lost a little bit of their sanity....yeah, that is not good at all

I don't recall reading that in the codex, is it from the novels or something?

bittick
19-08-2015, 20:52
I don't think there's ever been a direct statement that they can live through a vortex grenade. I'm inclined to agree that if they get a one-way trip to Slaanesh, they're done. Generally if they get killed, I guess they hang around as a ghost for a while. It might be a few days or weeks before they're consumed by Slaanesh. Before the Fall, I believe Eldar would reincarnate, so their souls are supposed to hang around. If a Haemonculus starts growing a new body, the soul would get yanked back. I don't see any reason why it would be absolute, though. I bet there are a lot of ways to really die, vortex grenade being one of them. Not many defenses against a Sphere of Annihilation.