PDA

View Full Version : WFB Morghast Archai/Harbinger

Captain Idaho
09-08-2015, 15:17
Thinking of getting these lovely models. I'm a growing Tomb Kings player and fancy adding some new models.

Are they any good?

What tactical options do people have as advice?

Spiney Norman
09-08-2015, 15:37
Personally I'd take harbingers instead, I think they're actually better anyway before you consider that rare sections of a TK army are almost always full and special sections usually not.

Djekar
09-08-2015, 19:52
I play them in an Undead Legions army - and I've found them quite good the few times I've gotten to use them (don't get many End Time games in).

I think probably the best way to run them is near constructs (for the extra -1 to crumble) and use them as a support unit. They aren't big block killers because they haven't got the attacks, but they are solid against medium sized units of Cav or even MC. I run them 1x2 (so a line of 2) since they lose so little and then can concentrate their attacks across a smaller frontage. It's good for killing characters.

All of that being said, I've only ever used them in units of 2, so if you had 4-6 I might try to run them as a typical hammer type unit that can be quite quick, especially in a TK army. And they are certainly gorgeous models (I actually started my UL army because I liked the look of the Morghast and Vlad models).

Captain Idaho
09-08-2015, 23:43
Cool.

I think I will try them in small units at 1st and occasionally use bigger units in bigger games for fun.

On a related note, which sort do you prefer? I'm thinking the 2 hand weapons Morghasts are better since they're already S5.

On the other hand, using them in a small unit as cavalry killers and monster hunters would probably warrant higher strength attacks.

Captain Idaho
09-08-2015, 23:44
Personally I'd take harbingers instead, I think they're actually better anyway before you consider that rare sections of a TK army are almost always full and special sections usually not.

Lol answered my question but using my mobile I missed this response.

I think I'll change the title to encompass both.

sedgey
10-08-2015, 13:16
There's not all that much between the units - it depends mainly on whether you want to take up rare or special points, which will be determined by what else you like to field.

I built my pair as Archai as I think they look better. While they're useful as a support unit (reducing crumble), I quite like putting them out on a flank -- with hover, they'll never be able to march, so putting them far away from your general doesn't matter. They're also reasonably durable and resistant to shooting, so it's not vital that you've got a wizard nearby to regain them wounds. That means the Morghasts can happily operate independently, threatening warmachines, chariots, small cavalry units, skirmishers, lone monsters, and other such nuisances. They can also threaten flank charges later in the game.

The Archai fit better into this role, as their high strength overcomes good armour saves/high toughness better, though the Harbingers are more versatile at coping with other types of units. If you're only using a unit of two to start with, regardless of type, avoid getting into combat alone with large units, as they don't have the attacks to deal with them.

Captain Idaho
11-08-2015, 10:48
My problem is as a Tomb Kings player I have filled my rare up on stuff so struggle to get in the Archai. Though I prefer the models greatly.

Actually, we're moving up in points to 3000pts so I might be able to afford a unit with careful rejigging.

Hmmm. I'll need to take a little time to ponder it. Both models are great. 3 Harbingers would be suitably killy too.

sedgey
11-08-2015, 19:52
My problem is as a Tomb Kings player I have filled my rare up on stuff so struggle to get in the Archai. Though I prefer the models greatly.
You could build the Harbingers with Archai armour/helmets - the weapons will make clear which unit it is.

Captain Idaho
12-08-2015, 00:38
Oh yeah, I would have done that, but I like the models holding the Halberds too. They look suitably killy.

Tactically I think 3-4 Harbingers with their multiple attacks and S5 work wonders actually. 4 attacks each, that's 12 on a unit of 3. Supporting Chariots it will really cause problems on even tough units.

Though my Tomb Kings don't want for such attacks, rather S6+ attacks really.