Aezeal
09-08-2015, 23:30
So how would you interpret it's rule:

Soporific Breath: Enemy units within 3"

of a Forest Dragon cannot be chosen to
make attacks in the combat phase until all
other units have made their attacks.

Personally I'm reading:
The enemy's unit's within 3" of the dragon DO NOT attack untill ALL other units (other units IMHO isn't limited to just his own units) have attacked. So if the dragon is fighting with 2 allied units agains 3 enemy units (all within 3 " of this reasonably large model) my 3 units all attack first and then he gets to attack with his units. ( units in other combats could of course be picked by him when it's his time to pick a unit.)

My last opponent interpreted it differently and wanted to let 1 of my units attack first and then (his turn to pick and no other fights going on) he wanted to attack with one of the soporific units anyway… since it’s his turn to pick and else the rules of switching attacks wouldn’t fit anymore.If one of the sides has way more units that rule ends up being invalid anyway

Now this is pretty important:

His interpretation makes the rule near worthless

My interpretation makes is a VERY powerfull rule (I admit) BUT the WE dragon is (compared to the HE dragon for example) 2 wounds, 1 jaws attack (D6 wounds) and the damaging breath attack of the HE dragon (up to D6 mortal wounds per shooting phase down) so even with this rule it would still be weaker in most situations unless used extremely well.

Spiney Norman
09-08-2015, 23:34
How I would play it is this, you alternate combat activation as normal, you pick a unit, he picks a unit etc etc, the only difference would be that he could not pick any of the units within 3" of your forest dragon until all other units in combat that turn had finished fighting.

And that actually looks really amazing, I might have to get my forest dragon out for a game.

Aezeal
09-08-2015, 23:44
Hmm yeah it is good but the dragon really is quite a bit weaker than other top tier units (IE HE dragons). Putting Durthu next to one will help though.

Actually most WE units are not quite good if compared with HE for xmple.

thesoundofmusica
09-08-2015, 23:51
How I would play it is this, you alternate combat activation as normal, you pick a unit, he picks a unit etc etc, the only difference would be that he could not pick any of the units within 3" of your forest dragon until all other units in combat that turn had finished fighting.

And that actually looks really amazing, I might have to get my forest dragon out for a game.

That's how I read it aswell. And that does sound amazing.

darkestvisions
09-08-2015, 23:56
Hmm yeah it is good but the dragon really is quite a bit weaker than other top tier units (IE HE dragons). Putting Durthu next to one will help though.

Actually most WE units are not quite good if compared with HE for xmple.

Doesn't matter if the dragon is weaker... since you'll be fighting first (due to the ability) and hopefully killing anything nearby before it can attack the dragon! ;)

Aezeal
10-08-2015, 00:05
Yes well that is the intention of course... sadly the 2 vs 3 maw/jaws attacks can be pretty important to get that extra bit of damage to kill a large creature I've noticed (I've often just not wounded with either of my 2 attacks, which really means you'll not get the 10-14 wounds to kill a large monster).

But this really is the only edge my WE have (I'm mostly comparing to HE atm due to personal frustrations after my last game I admit... comparing compendia and seeing the HE even outshoot me (just bit) is just annoying.. seeing phoenices with a 4+ ward and then a 4+ reborn thingie even more so).

mhsellwood
10-08-2015, 04:13
The Forest Dragon is also great at enabling an MSU Wood Elf army. Normally if you gang up on one unit with a couple of your own your opponent can deal damage before being attacked by all of your units. With a Forest Dragon you can ensure that all your units get to go first which maximises your damage dealing.

furrie
10-08-2015, 08:07
Seeing how it says all other units and not all other enemy units, I would say you are right.

theunwantedbeing
10-08-2015, 13:32
Personally I'm reading:
The enemy's unit's within 3" of the dragon DO NOT attack untill ALL other units (other units IMHO isn't limited to just his own units) have attacked. So if the dragon is fighting with 2 allied units agains 3 enemy units (all within 3 " of this reasonably large model) my 3 units all attack first and then he gets to attack with his units. ( units in other combats could of course be picked by him when it's his time to pick a unit.)

That would be following what the rule says to do.

Enemies unfortunate enough to be within 3" of a Forest Dragon are stuck waiting for everything else on the board to make it's close combat attacks before they are allowed to.
This includes both other enemy units (if any) and friendly units.

So an example would be
1 enemy unit fighting the dragon and 1 enemy unit fighting 3 friendly units in a separate combat.
Assuming it's the enemies turn he would go first with the unit not fighting the dragon.
Then all the WE players units would fight.
Then the unit fighting the Dragon would get to fight.

DarKolia
10-08-2015, 13:58
Dear All
Could you please at the start of your post indicate?... by an AOS or [AoS] or something... that your rule query question Age of Sigmar and not Warhammer...
(That's not a rule of this forum... thus something which would appeal to and please me)
As for your question if you cannot agree with your opponent that you will be winning at AoS, do not play AoS or just do not play to win...
Sincerely,

DarK

Aezeal
10-08-2015, 16:50
DarKolia: Well that is a pretty worthless answer so I think I'll just NOT do as you ask. This is the warhammer forum and opposed to 40K there only is AoS in the warhammer department.

All other responders seem to agree with me so that means I will be force the use of the rule like that, dice rolling is reserved for cases with more doubt.

DarKolia
11-08-2015, 16:36
I asked kindly...

Spiney Norman
11-08-2015, 22:03
Dear All
Could you please at the start of your post indicate?... by an AOS or [AoS] or something... that your rule query question Age of Sigmar and not Warhammer...
(That's not a rule of this forum... thus something which would appeal to and please me)
As for your question if you cannot agree with your opponent that you will be winning at AoS, do not play AoS or just do not play to win...
Sincerely,

DarK

It would probably make more sense to ask that any WFB rules queries be marked rather than AoS ones, since age of sigmar is presently the 'live' warhammer game produced by GW and all editions of wfb are now discontinued. Maybe a system of tagging posts with [WFB] followed by the edition number you wish to discuss would simplify the process and any non-tagged posts would just be assumed to pertain the current warhammer game - Age of Sigmar.

thesoundofmusica
12-08-2015, 10:40
@ DarKolia
Your request would probably be taken more seriously under consideration had you not included those silly remarks at the end of your post.

DarKolia
13-08-2015, 12:29
It would probably make more sense to ask that any WFB rules queries be marked rather than AoS ones, since age of sigmar is presently the 'live' warhammer game produced by GW and all editions of wfb are now discontinued. Maybe a system of tagging posts with [WFB] followed by the edition number you wish to discuss would simplify the process and any non-tagged posts would just be assumed to pertain the current warhammer game - Age of Sigmar.

So be it...