PDA

View Full Version : GW upturn starting?

netpixie
06-07-2006, 18:02
<Text Deleted>

my_name_is_tudor
06-07-2006, 18:08
Or maybe, just maybe, they're just advertising for a couple of jobs.

Crazy Harborc
06-07-2006, 18:46
Here's hoping it's a start towards improving GW attitudes and priorities.

It's possible that some of the stockholders are tired of the status quo. Maybe they want the ol' tried and true methods of inducing sales numbers increases.

Oddleg
06-07-2006, 19:14
As far as i was aware Forgeworld, Black Libary etc run and finance themselves independantly from citadel within the GW group.

As such i wouldn't take tehm as a reading of overall GW business.

Vic
06-07-2006, 19:24
I've known large companies like ATT hire staff only to let go the entire department a week later.

I wouldnt read too much into any hirings. The proof will be in the pudding, or in this case the market share.....

Tooooon
06-07-2006, 21:37
One of the jobs is design and idea's for the figure's, the other is for packaging and warehouse work.

Woah, let the changes begin :)
~Dave

Grimshawl
06-07-2006, 21:52
its really too soon and too small of changes to really say these mean anything other than two jobs that need filling.
lets let their financials come out and take a look at them. Also how bout using something from the parent company to base our prognosis on? that might help.

cailus
07-07-2006, 01:58
Erm...it's called employee turnover. One person leaves and is replaced by someone else. So this could even be a symbol of the company being a horrible place to work for.

Most likely someone's just moved on to another employer or been promoted so their position is vacant. Just because a company is doing badly financially (which GW technically still aren't) does not mean it won't hire anyone anymore. After all there is still a business to run.

The Judge
07-07-2006, 20:03
GW stores have been doing better this year money-wise than it was last year... read into that what you will.

Crazy Harborc
07-07-2006, 20:50
I am glad to hear the GW stores are doing better so far this year. Is that world wide or just in certain locations/Nations?

In my area the GW store has to make up for the downturn in restocking by the local indie stores. Then to grow, the company store has to bring in newbies as well.

cailus
10-07-2006, 04:04
GW stores have been doing better this year money-wise than it was last year... read into that what you will.

Money-wise? Does this imply cash flows, sales or what? What region? As far as I know the last half-yearly report showed a slump in sales and profit was nearly non-existant.

It's interesting that the investor website is down though. Are they waiting for new figures? And when do they come out?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
10-07-2006, 07:33
From what I understand, GW is back in Growth. And as even last year they made a profit (albeit 500,000!) this is indeed a very good sign.

And with Warhammer out this year, sales should be very healthy around Chrimbo.

cailus
10-07-2006, 08:10
Yet their share price continues to fall. It is currently 260.5 p and it was about 277 p last time I check a couple of weeks ago.

So the investors are not confident they will deliver the goods.

So the End of Year results will be interesting, to say the least.

cookiescrumble
10-07-2006, 08:30
Why do people keep making these threads, they are pointless and all they do is start stupid arguements.

gjnoronh
10-07-2006, 14:13
I agree with Mad Doc - there are going to be a lot of seventh edition WFB sales - and the new sets are always good for getting some folks who are 'new starters.' Stock prices are reflective of a lot of things (including dividend/share price) but I think a chunk of the down turn is folks who invested with LoTR who are now (still) backing out of the market when that sales bubble disapeared. While still definitely in the black - profit margi for GW last year was 1% as opposed to many other major non miniature companies that manage 10% or so. That's partially the nature of the miniature business.

Gary

The Judge
10-07-2006, 16:51
Money-wise as in selling more and acheiving targets.
This is in the UK south, beyond that... I dunno.

Commissar von Toussaint
10-07-2006, 23:25
Jobs have to be filled for a variety of reasons.

Frequent advertisements can mean a company is growing or that it is a lousy place to work.

Generally, the places that advertise the most for new hires do so because they have the highest turnover.

Frankly, places that pay very well and treat their employees well rarely even bother with advertisng. Usually it happens when:

1. There are no qualified applicants or
2. It's the government and they are required to make public postings.

My thought is that if GW was paradise on earth to work for, they'd already have resumes on file and just fill it from them.

Then again, I don't know UK hiring practices or their laws, so maybe they have to post it.

Either way, it is meaningless as a gauge of the company's prospects.

Crazy Harborc
11-07-2006, 00:20
I really hope that GW turns around, stock results wise. As to the hiring ad(s), like the man just said........it really isn't much of a gauge of a companie's financial health.

Osbad
11-07-2006, 09:22
My thought is that if GW was paradise on earth to work for, they'd already have resumes on file and just fill it from them.

Possibly. Or it could be that the resumes they have on file suck and they've finally realised that it is no longer good enough to promote the office teaboy to run the show, and instead need to recruit talent and experience?

cailus
11-07-2006, 10:18
Is that why Owen Rees and Guy Haley are in control of WD?

Jedi152
11-07-2006, 10:24
GW is not a paradise to work for. Your job is never safe.

They're advertising not because people keep leaving, but because they keep sacking people.

Batwings
12-07-2006, 05:58
"they've finally realised that it is no longer good enough to promote the office teaboy to run the show, and instead need to recruit talent and experience."

Now that's just crazy talk!

GW have traditionally promoted from within, which is what's contributed, to some degree, to the state of affairs within the Design Studio these days. Senior management have largely come from the retail side of the business and whilst I don't doubt they're all 'good little soldiers' and know the Warhammer rule book like the backs of their hands, it doesn't mean they have the faintest idea of how to run a hugely creative team of all-round bohemians.
Barking orders and threatening redundancy might work to motivate a 17 year old shop assistant, but I assure you it has an entirely different effect on a grizzled pack of veteran artists.

Lord of Change
14-07-2006, 10:35
sorry to have to say this, but a while back GW was issued a profit warning. so what next their prices rise. all retails were suffering a while ago but the major ones pulled through. GW most likely did not. if things got worse one of three things will happen: price increase to cope with low demand; price decrease to hopefully rope people back into it; goodbye GW.

RobC
14-07-2006, 10:46
Or the company delists from the stock exchange, which would be the sensible thing to do at this point.

Grimshawl
14-07-2006, 14:25
I dont know much about this delists you mention, whats that some deal where you buy your stock back and annul it?

Vic
15-07-2006, 14:28
I dont know much about this delists you mention, whats that some deal where you buy your stock back and annul it?

Pretty much the gist of it. GW makes it a private company again. Would make some sense as it would allow them to focus on their core business again.

Crazy Harborc
15-07-2006, 20:16
The attempt could, just could, cause a power/takeover play from a/some investor(s). IMHO, it's worth the risk to get back the good ol' day's GW, run by gamers.......yeah I know that's not business like.

Morskittar
15-07-2006, 20:53
It's also good to note the hobby game industry as a whole: 2004-05 saw something like a 20% drop, across the board, in hobby game sales. Wizards of the Coast is hurting, companies like Eagle games are consolidating with smaller firms, as are distribution houses (like GAMUS and Talkin' Sports). Former powerhouses like Wizkids are all but defunct. Anomalies like Privateer do nothing but cannibalize exisitng veteran gamers. GW and Upper Deck are the only exceptions in terms of growing customer bases, as they're the only companies that are bringing folk into the hobby (CCGs, CMGs, RPGs, traditional miniatures) on a large scale (via GW stores/40k/Dawn of War and Yu-gi-oh!, respectively).

What we're seeing now is echoed by GW. The poorly run businesses, the fad items; all dying off. Longtime established companies are laying off people, cutting back, and consolidating. The entire market is stablizing at a pre-1994 pre-Magic:TG/tournament frenzy, level. Hobby games will always be a niche market; the boom of the late 90's, early 00's was a fluke, and should not be viewed as a realistic goal for the industry as a whole, GW in specific.

A large chunk of GW's woes are (contrary to the LotR thing) investement, combined with a huge downturn in sales; these are not unique, and they're not completely because of aggressive business tactics (hard sells in their stores, raising prices). New players, who do not post here, do not complain about prices as they have a different frame of reference. GW is self-sustaining right now, and now that things like buying entire plastics companies are starting to shift from pure investment to profit, the loss will not continue.

Also, GW is following in the footsteps of Marvel Comics, realizing their core business is niche, but their IPs have mass-market value/appeal well beyond toy soldiers. The last real spike (in... April, I think) in GW stock coincided, to the day, with the first batch of Warhammer Online previews. Dawn of War has introduced new players to 40k as well as toy soldiers, and Mark of Chaos looks to be another quality game that will do the same for WFB. Black Industries and Library are flourishing; ICV2 reported WFRP overtaking the World of Darkness as number 2 best-selling RPG for the first part of '06.

Like Marvel, GW finally realizes that the core is, and always will be, niche. It needs to be self sustaining, as a testing ground and idea house for IP stuff, perhaps a bit profitable, but works best as a foundation to make money off of the imagery and licenses. Thus the investment in lowering overhead (buying plastics manufacturing facilities) and normalizing of pricing (low entry, high maintenance to keep profits high, even if less people play). It's a classic luxury product business model. Simliar to comic books jumping to three or four dollars a piece. It just has to be self sustaining, in terms of funds and quality, so that the real profits can be made through licensing.

GW was never doomed and is transitioning from a toy soldier company to multi-media character-driven creative house.

Elanthanis
15-07-2006, 23:59
There's really nothing I have to add to what Morskittar is saying, so I'll just nod in agreement with him :)

starlight
16-07-2006, 00:27
It's amazing how insightful posters around here have become over the years.

Morskittar, Batwings, CvT (as always) all have summed it up quite well.:D

When GW stops hiring/promoting their buddies/people who've been around the longest/people they can intimidate - *then* we'll see some improvements. Not before.

Rules for success in business:

1) Hire the best.
2) Challenge them to improve.
3) Reward them appropriately.
4) Get the heck out of the way.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-07-2006, 14:12
They have learned about that! Compare the Epic PC Game to DoW....DoW is clearly superior, and indeed, is regard as one of the best of it's genre. Firewarrior was very much a wasted opportunity though. Although there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it utterly failed to innovate, and entered an extremely competitive genre market!

We'll have to wait and see about Warhammer Online, but I reckon its going to be one extreme or the other.

starlight
16-07-2006, 18:32
Firewarrior wasn't designed to innovate. It was designed to test the waters for the lowest cost/risk possible, which it did. Having proven that there was demand, they moved on to DoW.

EvC
18-07-2006, 14:36
You know I think I've worked out GW's strategy, which is quite smart and could indeed lead to quite significant sales increases. Thanks to the "Education Maintenance Allowance" (EMA), more 16-18 year olds have access to more disposable income every week - up to &#163;30 - than ever before. So you can see why every army is being given some kind of cool niche to fill, whether it's Tau for anime fanboys, Black Templars, Vampire Counts (And even the new Empire) for the goth-types etc... even the Wood Elves have had their hippy image cast off, so now they're a very cool that can appeal to many. So now there's a huge pool of teenagers with much more money to spend every week, and I doubt that many of them are saving it. They can even afford to save &#163;40 over a couple of weeks to buy a Land Raider Crusader, whereas that kind of money would've been two months' pocket money for me a decade ago. Hell, such people can even afford to blow &#163;4 a month on what is basically an advertising supplement. Thinking in this light, many of GW's seemingly-insane decisions in the last year or two make sense... so while I can't afford to keep buying their models, there's laods of teenagers who can buy a new regiment box every week with money left over!

Tooooon
18-07-2006, 15:18
God I hate EMA. You get punished for having 2 parents instead of 1 when studying at college, I mean wtf O.o

And no, my parentals cant afford to give me &#163;30 a week

(sorry, off topic whine hehe)

EvC
18-07-2006, 15:48
You're technically punished for having two parents with income (or just higher income in general). Wouldn't you rather have two parents than an extra &#163;30 a week for a couple of years..?

Steeple_jackuk
18-07-2006, 15:53
Anyone who gets the White Dwarf email will see that they are advertising for another journalist. Not sure what this means, but its seems that its within the UK, so either someone's leaving or they are getting more people involved?

Quote:

Owen: It's not often we have a position come up on White Dwarf, but when they do they always generate a lot of excitement and interest. We currently have a position available for a White Dwarf Journalist who will be responsible for taking articles, briefs and adverts from concept to design to finish in both magazine and website mediums. This really is a unique and exciting opportunity to work for the best wargames miniatures company in the world. If you're really into the hobby, are a great writer and have the right attitude – this job could be for you!

For more information check out the careers section of the website!

Owen Rees
Editor, UK White Dwarf
End quote

Jedi152
18-07-2006, 15:54
Already applied. Already been ignored. GW's HR is dire.

Tooooon
18-07-2006, 16:05
You're technically punished for having two parents with income (or just higher income in general). Wouldn't you rather have two parents than an extra 30 a week for a couple of years..?

I mean in a finacial sense, not parenting sense! xD Im not that mean lol

Crazy Harborc
18-07-2006, 18:26
Umph!!! Try getting the ol' retirement check eagle to shi*/provide more monthly $$$$s because GW had it's semi-annual price hikes.