PDA

View Full Version : Why are some GW guides only iBooks?

Raptor Mike
20-08-2015, 14:57
After a lot of surfing through the GW website I came across this interactive book the other day (http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/How-To-Paint-Citadel-Miniatures-Dark-Vengeance-Interactive-iBook-Edition) which as I have ordered DV thought would be a godsend. But it's only available from iTunes. There isn't even a way to viwe them on my PC even though I have iTunes installed because it says it needs to be on an Ipad or a Mac. :mad::rolleyes::wtf:

So are GW shooting themselves in the foot by this limitation as well as denying gamers/modelers access to this content?

If anyone has any suggestions for maybe an Android app that will play iBooks or even if you are able to use them on a PC with iTunes I'd love to hear from you. :D

Whirlwind
20-08-2015, 22:20
Well they use to provide painting guides in pdf free on their website but that was several years ago. To be honest they aren't up to that much. Once you have one you pretty much have them all; all they do is show you what colours to use - otherwise it is base, wash, highlight. As a starter guide you'll get more use out of the main painting guide.

Raptor Mike
21-08-2015, 22:11
Well they use to provide painting guides in pdf free on their website but that was several years ago. To be honest they aren't up to that much. Once you have one you pretty much have them all; all they do is show you what colours to use - otherwise it is base, wash, highlight. As a starter guide you'll get more use out of the main painting guide.

Any so I'm not missing much then. Thanks. Is the main painting guide worth it?

Whirlwind
21-08-2015, 22:42
Any so I'm not missing much then. Thanks. Is the main painting guide worth it?

That depends on how advanced you are as a painter. If you are a beginner to early intermediate then yes probably it will help. They have a good DVD which shows individual steps as well as sections on the different painting styles *if* you like the edge style highlighting that GW go for. It's less so if you want blended highlights and pointless if you want to paint by airbrush mainly. Realistically though you can pick up a lot just from the GW painting videos which are quite good for a start and are very clear in their approach.

Raptor Mike
21-08-2015, 23:27
That depends on how advanced you are as a painter. If you are a beginner to early intermediate then yes probably it will help. They have a good DVD which shows individual steps as well as sections on the different painting styles *if* you like the edge style highlighting that GW go for. It's less so if you want blended highlights and pointless if you want to paint by airbrush mainly. Realistically though you can pick up a lot just from the GW painting videos which are quite good for a start and are very clear in their approach.

Yeah I've wathced them and they do look pretty good. When I used to paint years ago I only did highlight by dry brushing, and never got good enough/had enough money for inks. So I'm quite interested by the different types of paints now and really want to learn how to do it better now.

Thanks again for the advice :)