PDA

View Full Version : At what date did the Lightening Strike fighter enter service

alterion
14-06-2005, 20:51
at roughly whatdate did the lightening fighter enter service with the imerial navy.. i have m37 somewhere in the back of my mind but i do not know where that has come from? i am trying to place my wider armoured regiment in context as i have placed it as just before lightenings entered dervice

Puffin Magician
14-06-2005, 21:05
Well the short description in Imperial Armour Volume One mentions nothing of the exact date, only that it was discovered shortly after a Crusade liberated 12 planets in the Segmentum Obscuras and they found the STC.

Googling and searching various 40k Timelines doesn't appear to help either; although I don't doubt that the Lightning flew alongside the Thunderbolt for most of it's life, which has been around for at least 10,000 years.

Looks like your Armoured Regiment is going to be a pre-Heresy one, hé? :p

alterion
14-06-2005, 22:07
dam'n i had it in mind as being a very recent addition to the imperial arsenal.. guess my attached navy squadron is going to have to include some lightenings then .. ( BTW this army is all in my head.. iahave an AC but in no way planning to expand to the full regiment w attached units ect)

Puffin Magician
15-06-2005, 03:11
Is it because you don't want your Navy Squadron to contain Lightnings? Nothings says you have to, I get the feeling this is because you already own a Thunderbolt... but I could be wrong.

...in no way planning to expand to the full regiment w attached units...
C'mon, why not? ;)
I've contemplated it quite a bit, what with scratchbuilding vehicles is pretty light on the wallet... worked it out, including an HQ Company [including a Regimental Command Leviathan], 6 Russ Companies, Recon, Artillery, Siege, Anti-Tank, AA, Engineer and Superheavy Companies; came out to 188 vehicles and between 17,500 and 20,000pts. Should I be mad enough to build them all, it would be a perfect companion for my Titan Legion [should I ever be mad enough to build them too!] :(

Hellebore
15-06-2005, 09:25
I believe he is correct, the lightning has only been in service for a relatively short period of time. it was only found in the last ~4000 years before present.

@Puffin- when you said you checked IA Vol 1 did you mean the first one published or the big mega-uber volume 1? i am sure it mentions it in at least one of them- I am at work and it is not next to me so I could be wrong.

hellebore

Randallw
15-06-2005, 10:03
An interesting comment on the Imperium is that it took them 500 years from their discovery to decide they could be used. No time for when they were found though.

alterion
15-06-2005, 16:51
yar that was all i could finsd as well.. the thing is this army is rediculosyly fluffy.. like th bunny that is terroising everyone's siggss but well.. if the lighteniung existed there is no way that they would not have been included in thuderbolt regimants of the time.. i have already had a hard enough time working aout a plausible explanatin for why i would not have the big stripes to denote companies on the side of vechiles ( i am coleecting cadian 142nd) mine worked out at a rather large points value for the full company.. considering there would have been at least 6000 points of super heavies... still it will be fun trying ..

Puffin Magician
15-06-2005, 19:32
it was only found in the last ~4000 years before present.
Sources to back this up?

@Puffin- when you said you checked IA Vol 1 did you mean the first one published or the big mega-uber volume 1?
I have the larger, more recent publication.

alterion
15-06-2005, 22:03
i have the uber volume too: okay i have another refernce..d'you think it came in bfore or after the razorback.. asi have the date of: 35,994 Razorback STC discovered by Tilius.

Puffin Magician
16-06-2005, 00:52
Well to be blunt, it doesn't matter what we think. All the Imperial technology is millennia old, so it's not as if we can tell which is older than the other when all we have to go on is brief fluff, a few specifications, and a model. It's known that the Thunderhawk Gunship was in service during the Horus Heresy, making it "older" than the Razorback. See what I mean? ;)

I'll see if I can find more information about it, perhaps a date was in fact mentioned in the now out-of-print Imperial Armour Vol 1.

Edit: Nope, just identical fluff to that in the newer book, only the location where it was found and that it took a long time to get right. They may not be as old as the Thunderbolts, perhaps 4,000 years isn't far off.

Goblinardo
16-06-2005, 06:09
I've contemplated it quite a bit, what with scratchbuilding vehicles is pretty light on the wallet... worked it out, including an HQ Company [including a Regimental Command Leviathan], 6 Russ Companies, Recon, Artillery, Siege, Anti-Tank, AA, Engineer and Superheavy Companies; came out to 188 vehicles and between 17,500 and 20,000pts. Should I be mad enough to build them all, it would be a perfect companion for my Titan Legion [should I ever be mad enough to build them too!] :(

*does Jedi handwave* You will be mad enough to build them all. And you will post pics. :p

i have the uber volume too: okay i have another refernce..d'you think it came in bfore or after the razorback.. asi have the date of: 35,994 Razorback STC discovered by Tilius.

The Razorback is a STC design? I always thought it was a modified Rhino.

Hellebore
16-06-2005, 08:40
*does Jedi handwave* You will be mad enough to build them all. And you will post pics. :p

The Razorback is a STC design? I always thought it was a modified Rhino.

But you see the STC found WAS a modified Rhino spec, its just that the AdMech won't sanction something if it is a jurryriged contraption it needs to be 'oficial' ie straight from an STC.

hellebore

charlie_c67
16-06-2005, 11:22
Aren't all tanks, vehicles, planes etc originally from stc's? In that case aren't they all from the dark age of technology?

malika
16-06-2005, 11:41
But you see the STC found WAS a modified Rhino spec, its just that the AdMech won't sanction something if it is a jurryriged contraption it needs to be 'oficial' ie straight from an STC.

hellebore

What about the Predator Annihilator? That one was an improvisation by the Space Wolves

Typheron
16-06-2005, 11:51
most are based onthe origional STC designs, however there are a few examples that i can think off that are improvisations done by SM tech marines while engaged in difficult combat situations.

The Landraider crusader was a improvisation by the Black Templars and the vindicator was created to assist in seige warfare within a city although i cant remember the chapter that devised it.

But back on topic...

Inquisitor Maul
16-06-2005, 12:08
What about the Predator Annihilator? That one was an improvisation by the Space Wolves

That one was invented because they lost their Land Raider reinforcment to a warp storm so they put all their lascannons on the Predators and wreaked hell on the Iron Warriors.

Needless to say, the AM didn't reeeeealy like it but they finaly decided after 200 years that the marines could use it. Though, by that time, the Predator Annihilator had been in Space Marine service for 180 years ;)

malika
16-06-2005, 12:24
Just in Space Wolves' service I think ;)

And about the Vindicator: IIRC they found an STC for it

Inquisitor Maul
16-06-2005, 14:31
Just in Space Wolves' service I think ;)

And about the Vindicator: IIRC they found an STC for it

Nope, all the chapters used it ;)

I guess they loved the oportunity to say "In your face AM!!!" :D

Puffin Magician
16-06-2005, 15:53
Well it comes down to what is considered "right" [the AM's point of view] and what is needed, which sometimes means battlefield conversions like the Predator Annihilator or Thunderer Siege Tank based on the Tank Destroyer. A Field Commander in need of dedicated Anti-Tank units isn't going to twiddle his thumbs and wait for proper Mechanicus paperwork or deliveries of new units if they have perfectly good weapons and chassis laying around, which could be assembled into a vehicle capable of doing what is needed.

It's not so much that the inventors of such vehicles dislike the Adeptus Mechanicus or wish to make an enemy of them, but I think simply because they consider "blasphemizing" sacred STC designs to fulfil a necessary battlefield role as acceptable. The end justifies the means, right?

malika
16-06-2005, 15:56
Nope, all the chapters used it ;)

I guess they loved the oportunity to say "In your face AM!!!" :D

I think the other Chapters started using the vehicles after the AM approved them..the Space Wolves used them before they were even approved.

Just my 2 cents

Samoth
16-06-2005, 16:40
I always thought the lightning was older than the thunderbolt. Huh. How old then is the thunderbold, the marauder, and all those weird planes in bfg?

malika
16-06-2005, 17:04
The Marauder is pre heresy i think...I saw those models on the Siege of the Imperial Palace diorama

Brother Othorio
17-06-2005, 14:02
The Landraider crusader was a improvisation by the Black Templars and the vindicator was created to assist in seige warfare within a city although i cant remember the chapter that devised it.

i dont know if its been changed but according to rather awesome Codex Titanicus:

The Vindicator was originally designed by the Loyalist forces for fighting in built-up areas, where range was secondary to the gun’s effect against buildings and enemy armor. After its decisive role in the clearance of Stahlenburg during the Scouring of Rotstern I, the forces of Horus copied the design, and within months the Vindicator was in use by both sides.

as for the Space Wolves discovering the STC, i believe thats the theory regarding the reason for the Leman Russ being called the Leman Russ (whether its true or not doesnt matter, the Space Wolves use it because its named for their Primarch)

Samoth
17-06-2005, 14:17
I'd regard that as dodgy - the archenemy copied the vindicator design?

charlie_c67
17-06-2005, 14:19
Well, the Iron Warriors have! I think pinched would be a better adjective.

Samoth
17-06-2005, 14:27
But I thought they stole their vindicators?

charlie_c67
17-06-2005, 14:34
Maybe the originals but's what to say they don't build more on Midrengaard (sp?) After all it's supposedly like a forgeworld isn't it?

Samoth
17-06-2005, 14:40
True enough, it's more than possible.

malika
17-06-2005, 14:53
Remember that half of the Adeptus Mechanicus sided with Horus...which means Chaos could have way more and crazier machines out there!

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 03:04
:D
Remember that half of the Adeptus Mechanicus sided with Horus...which means Chaos could have way more and crazier machines out there!

Hence the Defiler, the Hellrazor, Hellblade etc :D

malika
18-06-2005, 13:19
The Defiler was designed by a Luna Wolves Techmarine IIRC

Hellebore
19-06-2005, 02:22
Most of the crazy war machines of chaos (as nazguire pointed out) are generally daemon engines as apposed to mundane vehicles of war.

Only Dan Abnett has ever talked about vehicles created by the arch enemy that weren't warp affected.

hellebore

charlie_c67
20-06-2005, 11:02
You also forgot stalk tanks.

Nazguire
20-06-2005, 11:45
You also forgot stalk tanks.

Oh yeah, the bastard child of the Defiler and Sentinel...

Wish they'd make a model and rules for them :D

Typheron
20-06-2005, 13:05
thats what the VDR is for,

but aint this all getting a bit off topic?