PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels, Are they good?

Merellin
29-08-2015, 21:04
So, I was curious. The Dark Angels look cool, but are they any good? Do they suffer horribly from not being Vanilla Marines like Blood Angels do (According to the Blood Angels players..) or do they stand tall on their own and hold their own in the battle that is 7'th edition?

mightymconeshot
29-08-2015, 21:42
I would say tied with Space Marine. They are very similar with the special gimmicks for formations/detachments setting them apart from each other.

Scribe of Khorne
29-08-2015, 21:46
Since they came after SM, they get the same benefits/formations for the most part as the good Mighty above mentioned, and their unique units improved as well I believe.

BA coming before, missed out on that and ARE a few notches below sadly.

Casper Hawser
30-08-2015, 07:46
I always felt us Blood Angels players suffered because our formations were spread out over the codex, shield of Baal exterminatos and White dwarf I think it would cost about 80 to get all their rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
30-08-2015, 08:15
They have the full-company-gives-free-transports formation so IMHO they are just as broke as codex ultramarines, they also have a pretty potent flyer in the dark talon so I'd give them a thumbs up.

shabbadoo
30-08-2015, 13:54
Dark Angels are finally on par with vanilla marines. They don't have as many toys, but their own unique toys are decent enough now. The one area they still fall short a bit is in the raw power of their special characters, but they do have few things among them are also fairly good. They just aren't the brutally tough killers that vanilla HQs can be made into. They are slightly better tactically (Belial), can bolster a whole unit's defenses (Azrael), can bolster a unit's offensive capabilities (Ezekiel), or can fly all about hosing down the enemy with fairly deadly fire (Sammael, either version). Just don't look for them to be wading through enemy units like some of the "Lords of Battle" present in other codexes, or that can be built from vanilla HQs in other codexes by giving them various combinations of wargear/Relics.

T10
30-08-2015, 17:11
So, I was curious. The Dark Angels look cool, but are they any good? Do they suffer horribly from not being Vanilla Marines like Blood Angels do (According to the Blood Angels players..) or do they stand tall on their own and hold their own in the battle that is 7'th edition?
They are good. I don't know if there's much more to add. They have stuff the standard marines don't have, so they're different.

-T10

Merellin
30-08-2015, 19:27
Thanks for all the replies ^_^ Now I must ponder and try to figure out how to build my Dark Angels...

Dkoz
30-08-2015, 19:53
DA are solid neither them or SM are broken but they are effective and have some unique toys and gimmicks that distance the from their codex SM brethren.

Okuto
31-08-2015, 01:11
DA are solid, they just don't have anything super amazing rule-wise that makes them stand out. There's enough to justify them having their own codex, nothing less, nothing more.

Karhedron
01-09-2015, 10:50
Thanks for all the replies ^_^ Now I must ponder and try to figure out how to build my Dark Angels...

Dual-wing seems to be a popular approach. Combining 2 of Deathwing, Ravenwing or Greenwing (everyone else) usually gives a balanced force with plenty of bonuses. Fitting all 3 wings into a 1500 point list can be a squeeze while running just one wing can leave you struggling in some areas.

Check out the DA Tactica (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?410467-Tactica-Codex-Adeptus-Astartes-Dark-Angels) thread for more thoughts.

CompanyMasterBalhain
03-09-2015, 16:51
The Angels are looking good in this new Codex. ^_^ I'm quite pleased with it. I'm actually pleased that we don't have super broken death star units - I want to have a desperate, intense, edge of my seat kind of game where the enemy and I are fighting tooth and nail for every inch of the battlefield. Those are, for me, so immensely satisfying. If I'm tabling the other guy I get bored fast and it's no fun for him, either. War stories worth hearing about come from winning the day against improbable odds, not wiping out the enemy in turn two. Nothing could be more boring to hear about than wiping out the other guy in turn 2, IMHO. <3 my DA.

M1rr0rM4sk
10-09-2015, 17:46
Um .. since you are talking about dark angels I have a rules questions that does have to do with the plasma talon usefulness their bikes can get. How does the gets hot and twin linked special rules work combined? Lets say that you roll six attacks and you get : 1,1,1,2,4,6 they are twin linked so you re-roll and get: 1,4,4,5,6,6. How many gets hot saves are you required to make in this case? 3 or 1 and why?

insectum7
10-09-2015, 20:33
I fought against a DA bike army recently and those re-rollable 3++ jinks (and then a feel no pain for the command unit) were a bit nutty. Overall it seems like a strong book, although the Ravenwing seems to take jink saves to a whole new level.

Um .. since you are talking about dark angels I have a rules questions that does have to do with the plasma talon usefulness their bikes can get. How does the gets hot and twin linked special rules work combined? Lets say that you roll six attacks and you get : 1,1,1,2,4,6 they are twin linked so you re-roll and get: 1,4,4,5,6,6. How many gets hot saves are you required to make in this case? 3 or 1 and why?

This question should be in the rules forum, but: You only have to re-roll the misses, it looks like your example is re-rolling everything. Only the 1s in the re-roll (one 1 in your example case) counts for Gets Hot. The first set of 1s is ignored.

toonboy78
11-09-2015, 09:38
also for gets hot roll you have to roll the dice for individula models

e.g.

model 1: 1,5 can re roll 1 and rolls a 3: 2 hits
model 2: 2,2 can re roll both and rolls 1 6: 1 hit 1 gets hot roll
model 3: 1,2 again can re roll both and rolls 1 1: that model takes 2 gets hot rolls and if he fails both they do not carry over

as you can see from the above example you probably need to buy some new dice or start improving your prayers/sacrifices to the dice gods