PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone reccomend any 40k shorts for younger fan

Raptor Mike
03-09-2015, 10:53
My son is 7 and we've just got Dark Vengeance. For the moment it's just to get him started with painting and basic playing. Also for me it's a way to get back into a hobby I loved in my teens... I played edpi (2nd ed).

Anyway he is VERY interested in 40k. He is also an avid reader. I have told home there is no chance he will be reading the 40k books I had read but I think he would enjoy something that wasn't too gory or horrific like chaos. He has just got some Dr Who books from the library.

I'm expecting there to be non I must admit but does anyone have any reccomendations please.

Ps. Sorry about the spelling of 'recommendation '

03-09-2015, 13:06
I don't know if 40K has any material suitable for a 7-year old. If you can find any of the graphic novels that GW published all these years ago, I'm sure some (like Deff Skuadron, (spel?) about Ork flyboyz) would be OK. In a pinch, perhaps some of the Ciaphas Cain shorts? They are not overly gory but they do have adult themes.

blackcherry
03-09-2015, 16:03
I'm trying to think but probably there isn't much that can be recommended to him as the standard 40k, even if just a novella, tends to have an action scene in it that is gorier than the average book of it's type.

Those that don't tend to be so in depth when it comes to the background (in that you have to have knowledge of several different things already) for it to make any sense.

Have to tried scanning the 40k rulebook and if a background section is appropriate, letting him read it? You may be able to judge his tastes a bit more then.

Raptor Mike
05-09-2015, 16:44
Thanks guys.

Lord Damocles
06-09-2015, 09:37
You could look at the various box set tie-in novellas Black Library have produced over the years (eg. Assault on Black Reach, Space Hulk: The Novel). They're not brilliant, but they're not too bad either.

Space Hulk featured a Terminator getting his arms and head pulled off by a Broodlord (all at once!), but I thought that that was more comical than horrific as an image :shifty:

Raptor Mike
10-09-2015, 07:08
Thanks for that.
I wish they would rate books like DVD and games. It would make it so much easier.

MajorWesJanson
12-09-2015, 07:23
Definately the Ciaphas cain books. Far more comedic than most, which counters a lot of the typical war and violence. And the "rimdark" elements are often more subtle than a focus on death and gore.
Double Eagle is also comparatively liht on the gore and such- it's basically the Battle of Britain meets 40K.

Either way I'd recommend reading them first yourself. Half to judge if you think it is appropriate, and half because they are great books.

Casper Hawser
13-11-2015, 16:48
I'm probably a bit late on this one but Brothers of the Snake by Dan Abnett would be fine for him.
I think if your discussing the books with him personally most stuff from Black Library is ok.
I can remember reading Dune with my Dad when I was 6 or 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor Mike
16-11-2015, 21:05
I'm probably a bit late on this one but Brothers of the Snake by Dan Abnett would be fine for him.
I think if your discussing the books with him personally most stuff from Black Library is ok.
I can remember reading Dune with my Dad when I was 6 or 7.

Never too late. Thanks for the suggestion.
I know some of the books I've read he definitely can't read because they are way to gory. I was hoping he'd be able to read the Dark Vengeance novel but no lol. I'm reading Angels of Darkness and there's no way he could read that either lol

Casper Hawser
17-11-2015, 07:34
I suppose it's all a matter of perspective I know when I was young older than 7 maybe more 9-10 I would be aloud to watch things like Predator, Robocop, Aliens with my Dad and they never fazed me he always explained it wasn't real but I was not aloud to watch Horror things like The Fly, Nightmare on Elm Street my friend was aloud to watch it all no censorship at all and on his own as well I remember him not sleeping and by the time he was 13 he was smoking into drugs and had no respect for his parents. Was it linked I don't know but he definitely went off the rails the last time I heard of him he had fled our local town with dealers after him.
I remember reading Doctor Who books and the TV show and that used to scare me more.[emoji85]