PDA

View Full Version : Ullanor Orks 30k?

agurus1
04-09-2015, 22:45
Hey there! I have a small but growing 30k group and I thought a fun way to integrate us in with the local 40kers would be to stage an apoc game that represents the climax of the Ullanor campaign. I'm interested in any information that you all might have about how Orks from that time period and specifically the Ullanor Orks are represented in the fluff and how I may represent that with some home brewed rules. Also how did the final climactic battle unfold and what were each sides tactical objectives? I'm thinking of making a homebrewed mission as well.

Marshal_Loss
05-09-2015, 07:42
Having one section of the Apocalypse game dedicated to the decapitation strike launched by Horus & the Emperor to remove the Warboss Urlakk Urg would be the most important thing, as the tactics revolved around eliminating the head so the Ork empire would collapse. In Vengeful Spirit, it is mentioned that the White Scars & Ultramarines acted as unwitting decoys while Horus & his Luna Wolves went for the throat.

So maybe two sections, one where the White Scars & Ultramarines hold the line against a limitless ork force while on the other the Luna Wolves attempt to assassinate the Ork leader?

nagash66
05-09-2015, 09:06
Hey there! I have a small but growing 30k group and I thought a fun way to integrate us in with the local 40kers would be to stage an apoc game that represents the climax of the Ullanor campaign. I'm interested in any information that you all might have about how Orks from that time period and specifically the Ullanor Orks are represented in the fluff and how I may represent that with some home brewed rules. Also how did the final climactic battle unfold and what were each sides tactical objectives? I'm thinking of making a homebrewed mission as well.

They were bigger and meaner, i would most likely change all nobs with the current warboss as a option and make homegrown warboss rules, remember they could go to toe with the Primarchs, they are BIG and they are mean. I would also make orks cheaper, not to start with but following FW marine example, first 10-15 orks cost x and then you may buy more at cost y.

Also Orks got the idea for their titan from imperial titans, so i would limit the amount of stompas and the like, i think the white scares encounter one of the first gargants being built in one of the post Ullanor stories.

Sandlemad
06-09-2015, 16:30
Have a look at the HH short story The Wolf of Ash and Fire. It depicts the Gorro Hollowing, a battle fought by the Luna Wolves under the command of Horus and the Emperor. It was the deathblow to another Orkish empire (I think it might have been a client kingdom of that based on Ullanor?) and the Ullanor campaign commenced immediately after. It should give you a few ideas.

Big orks, even the Luna Wolves comment on this, with lots of armour and bionics. Also some impressive (for greenskins) plasma technology.

OuroborosTriumphant
10-09-2015, 07:43
(I think it might have been a client kingdom of that based on Ullanor?)

It was. (Unquoted) words for the (unquoted) word god.

The Telon Reach was but a satrapy of the largest empire we have ever encountered, one that must fall before the Crusade can continue,’ said the Emperor.

Horus38
10-09-2015, 13:40
Forge World really should elaborate more on Ullanor as it is just begging to be fleshed out. There are some tidbits scattered throughout the novels and FW books, but for me the big takeaways are:

* Massive Ork empire with some sources say by defeating it an entire segmentum was freed from slavery. Stated to be the last real external/credible threat to the Great Crusade.
* Imperial attack led by the Emperor, 9 primarchs, 100,000 space marines from 14 legions, and supported by millions from the Imperial Army.
* Horus led the decapitation strike against Ork Overlord Urlakk Urg and effectively won the campaign by killing him.

Lexicanum has a somewhat comprehensive breakdown of it: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ullanor_Crusade

10-09-2015, 14:26
Forge World really should elaborate more on Ullanor as it is just begging to be fleshed out. There are some tidbits scattered throughout the novels and FW books, but for me the big takeaways are:

* Massive Ork empire with some sources say by defeating it an entire segmentum was freed from slavery. Stated to be the last real external/credible threat to the Great Crusade.
* Imperial attack led by the Emperor, 9 primarchs, 100,000 space marines from 14 legions, and supported by millions from the Imperial Army.
* Horus led the decapitation strike against Ork Overlord Urlakk Urg and effectively won the campaign by killing him.

Lexicanum has a somewhat comprehensive breakdown of it: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ullanor_Crusade

I agree That the Ullanor Crusade could make for an interesting series. I just hope that it doesn't further sideline from the telling of the Horus Heresy. The Ullanor Crusade can be told after.
Ofcourse we don't know the Ullanor details, but from what we do know, as a threat the Telon Reach satrapy could be qualitatively as significant, or more. It is implied the Telon Orks used some kind of chaos-corrupted technology (including the planet-size plasma-reactor-powered Gorro "rok") that was way beyond what the Imperium had seen, or "dared" to employ. Quantity-wise though, the Telon Reach was dwarfed by Ullanor.

OuroborosTriumphant
10-09-2015, 15:25
I agree That the Ullanor Crusade could make for an interesting series. I just hope that it doesn't further sideline from the telling of the Horus Heresy. The Ullanor Crusade can be told after.
Ofcourse we don't know the Ullanor details, but from what we do know, as a threat the Telon Reach satrapy could be qualitatively as significant, or more. It is implied the Telon Orks used some kind of chaos-corrupted technology (including the planet-size plasma-reactor-powered Gorro "rok") that was way beyond what the Imperium had seen, or "dared" to employ. Quantity-wise though, the Telon Reach was dwarfed by Ullanor.

I find it extremely unlikely that the Emperor would describe the Telon Reach as "but a satrapy" if Ullanor were not considerably more dangerous. We know that Orks do not bend the knee to Orks less physically powerful than themselves; if the Mech Warlord was satrap to Urlakk Urg, Urlakk Urg was likely even larger and more terrible.

10-09-2015, 22:40
Maybe. It didn't take Horus and the Emperor to defeat Urg. Of course the Gorro Warlord fight was underwhelming. Ork beats up the emperor, it's a bit like "Horus save me!!!" Here comes the knight in shining armour. After Horus sufficiently proves he'll do anything for the big man, and as he's ready to kiss the world goodbye, the emperor decides it's a good time for the ork to die. Oh wait, Horus had punched him real hard so the Ork was "weakened". Ha ha. Then, for the benefit(?) of Horus the emperor squashes the ork using powers that he could have used right from the start.
Right.

agurus1
11-09-2015, 06:36
Only legions I see in the Lexicanum article are ultras, white scars and sons of horus, who else was there?

11-09-2015, 12:34
IIRC, not all the forces present at the Ullanor Triumph participated at the Ullanor Crusade.

Horus38
12-09-2015, 23:38
Only legions I see in the Lexicanum article are ultras, white scars and sons of horus, who else was there?

Per HH Book 2 Massacre timeline - The Triumph at Ullanor: Emperor's Children, White Scars, Imperial Fists, Blood Angels, World Eaters, Ultramarines, Death Guard, Thousand Sons, Luna Wolves, Word Bearers, Alpha Legion