PDA

View Full Version : Chaos lord's Command ability: Unending legion

Pokoko
07-09-2015, 08:35
The command ability says to set up a new slave to darkness unit within 5" inches of one table edge. My question is: does the unit have a maximum size and can it be on any table edge not just their own?

Lordmonkey
07-09-2015, 12:23
There is no limit on the unit size as long as you don't violate the restrictions on the warscroll you choose.

Yes you may place it within 5" of any table edge.

bigbiggles
10-09-2015, 07:41
5 ranks of chaos warriors 6" wide. It's only 360 dudes.

Gorthor21
10-09-2015, 13:38
the only thing keeping people from abusing a chaos lords command ability is the number of models they are willing to buy. If someone was that dedicated then all the more power to them.

Spiney Norman
10-09-2015, 14:02
There is no limit on the unit size as long as you don't violate the restrictions on the warscroll you choose.

Yes you may place it within 5" of any table edge.

Or indeed within 5" of every table edge if you have enough models to do it ;)

the only thing keeping people from abusing a chaos lords command ability is the number of models they are willing to buy. If someone was that dedicated then all the more power to them.

Which is exactly the kind of game you'd expect GW to design, buy more models, win more games

thesoundofmusica
10-09-2015, 14:57
Your wallet is not the only thing keeping people from abusing the rule but I'm sure you can figure this one out yourselves ;)

Spiney Norman
10-09-2015, 16:05
Your wallet is not the only thing keeping people from abusing the rule but I'm sure you can figure this one out yourselves ;)

Of course, repayment in kind is always a good one, if someone really milks the chaos lord's command ability just show up to your next game with Nagash.

Gorthor21
10-09-2015, 20:19

that made me chuckle. people seem to think things are broken in the meta but the reality of doing things like unending legion or nagash's crazy train just dont seem all that economical. lemme just mortgage my house so i can be That Guy

Spiney Norman
10-09-2015, 21:45
that made me chuckle. people seem to think things are broken in the meta but the reality of doing things like unending legion or nagash's crazy train just dont seem all that economical. lemme just mortgage my house so i can be That Guy

Well you say that, but I have a 5K tomb king army I can summon piecemeal with Naggy, given the quantity of models we used in 8th ed wfb I literally don't have to buy anything to break the game with Nagash. Likewise if you had a big warriors of chaos army from wfb you can easily bring on some game-changing units with the chaos Lord's comman ability.

Bare in mind you can absolutely field a chaos Lord leading an ogre force and use his command ability to bring on chaos warriors and Knights to bulk out your force, likewise you can tag Nagash on to a stormcast or aelf force and use him to spam undead. In fact the rules actually encourage you to do this because the less chaos/undead you have in your starting force the more you can bring on later with your magic/abilities.

Gorthor21
11-09-2015, 20:21
one doesn't need to actively argue that the game can be broken over and over for people to get the point. i was merely making jest in my earlier post. Spiney Norman, you seem to be good at picking apart other posters arguments and i commend you for your efforts at semantics. there isn't much we as the people who play this game can do to avoid abusing its openended rules other than trying to play fair based on our personal opinions. ofcourse that's difficult when we have all these other games that have internal balancing mechanisms. if one brings a case of 10,000 points of undead models with nagash and their opponent only showed up with 2,000 points worth of a non-summoning force it would be prudent of the undead player to understand that going all out wouldn't make for a fun game for their opponent. i believe that we as mature human beings in a very very niche corner of the gaming community should stick together and atleast try to be fair when the game doesn't provide the balancing mechanisms that its earlier renditions had. i believe that was the designers intent other than cutting development time was to create an easy to play game that had to compete in this modern market where they arnt the undisputed colossus they once were. we just need to either accept the ways the game works and act atleast a little cordial in the execution of our games.

Spiney Norman
11-09-2015, 23:34
one doesn't need to actively argue that the game can be broken over and over for people to get the point. i was merely making jest in my earlier post. Spiney Norman, you seem to be good at picking apart other posters arguments and i commend you for your efforts at semantics. there isn't much we as the people who play this game can do to avoid abusing its openended rules other than trying to play fair based on our personal opinions. ofcourse that's difficult when we have all these other games that have internal balancing mechanisms. if one brings a case of 10,000 points of undead models with nagash and their opponent only showed up with 2,000 points worth of a non-summoning force it would be prudent of the undead player to understand that going all out wouldn't make for a fun game for their opponent. i believe that we as mature human beings in a very very niche corner of the gaming community should stick together and atleast try to be fair when the game doesn't provide the balancing mechanisms that its earlier renditions had. i believe that was the designers intent other than cutting development time was to create an easy to play game that had to compete in this modern market where they arnt the undisputed colossus they once were. we just need to either accept the ways the game works and act atleast a little cordial in the execution of our games.

I'm not really sure what point you are making, this is the rules forum, discussing how much miniatures cost is irrelevant to how the rules function. The size of the unit is not limited, so if you have 50 (or 500) chaos warriors you could legally deploy them using this rule.

"Playing fair" is entirely subjective and unquantifiable, that is why a game has rules, to tell you definitively what you can do, and what you can't do.