PDA

View Full Version : is your 1 man store keeping up with the workload?

The_Real_Chris
08-09-2015, 09:44
I ask because this is the pic from the window of GW Uxbridge a while after a major product launch...

Chap inside seems nice though the place is often empty or closed when I pass.

Deadhorse
08-09-2015, 09:58
This might get someone fired. And for ignoring AoS, a noble attitude!

Delete the city information!

Malagor
08-09-2015, 10:17
Awesome.
Respect to that guy.

The_Real_Chris
08-09-2015, 10:39
I should say the demo table has AoS on and I think it is almost all painted now.

Harwammer
08-09-2015, 14:25
I imagine the first priority is painting the demo set, and getting it painted in a way that is easy to teach to beginners ("want yours to look like this? I can teach you!").

After that will be updating the window models to be current (they are mainly there to be eye catching and get people interested in investigating further).

O.G-Palmer
08-09-2015, 14:43
Well it is completely up to his discretion to allow 8th ed. WHFB to be played in his store, there is no outright ban on it.

ebbwar
08-09-2015, 17:16
My local store is still one of the few that has not been converted to a one man yet. I've stopped going in as I got bored (aka fed-up) with being asked if I want to try Ao$, so no idea if they are keeping up with the workload ;)

Kijamon
08-09-2015, 17:36
AoS not painted yet and not really being pushed in our one man store. The guy running it is more of a 40k fan any way but it is a sure fire way to alienate the 50% of store goers that played WFB

hoggle76
08-09-2015, 18:45
one man store here, aos not painted yet...mostly because the store is constantly full of people playing aos.

Spiney Norman
08-09-2015, 20:20
"Keeping up with he workload" is that a joke?

I went in the local GW on Saturday and aside from the manager the only other people in there were three late-teen 40k players fiddling with the sprues for the new AoS chaos tower discussing how they could convert it into a chaos bastion.

There was an AoS demo table in one corner with some sprayed-gold sigmarines and some sprayed-red Khorne models but no-one was showing the slightest interest in it.

ebbwar
09-09-2015, 00:56
AoS not painted yet and not really being pushed in our one man store. The guy running it is more of a 40k fan any way but it is a sure fire way to alienate the 50% of store goers that played WFB

I think Ao$'s existance will have alienated 50% of the store goers that played WFB without the store managers help :P Even if he did a bang up full on pro painted job on them, people will still be steering clear of it ;)

williamsond
09-09-2015, 08:15
If all these one man stores would just embrase the army painter dip system their Ao$ starter sets would be finished by now no problem. To be honest i'm sure they wouldn't be suprise at the fantastic table top standard results they could get in a very short time frame... ;)

Herzlos
09-09-2015, 08:18
I don't think I've seen a 1-man (or multi-man) store so busy in a while that they couldn't update the window dressing.

It's hard to tell though, because they are usually closed when I visit. More likely is that they either didn't notice it or want to keep it as is

tristessa
10-09-2015, 11:16
It's hard to tell though, because they are usually closed when I visit.

Yeah, totally agree. GW need to embrace the indie store opening model of only being open when their customers are free to come in. Like weekend day times and evenings, not during the day. Crazy they still feel they have to open during the day when nobody comes in...

ebbwar
10-09-2015, 11:51
Yeah, totally agree. GW need to embrace the indie store opening model of only being open when their customers are free to come in. Like weekend day times and evenings, not during the day. Crazy they still feel they have to open during the day when nobody comes in...

In the UK, the sheer number of GW stores means to me they are a highstreet brand. This also means to me, be bloody open during the day. You never see Boots or Tescos shut during the day do you? If GW only had 1 or 2 stores and were a small family business I could understand random day time closures, but I will not accept it from a highstreet store as they are a larger operation and should be capable of better. Whether customers are in or not at time X is irrelevant, the listed store opening times are.

Herzlos
10-09-2015, 12:02

It's during the day I find the problem. I'm used to stores opening from 9, and have turned up a few times to even major stores (and WHW!) that doesn't open until after 10. Same with Mondays/Tuesdays.

There's no issue finding the store open on a Saturday (unless the staffer is ill, on holiday, out to lunch or on the toilet).

They are open less consistently than the 1-man FLGS's, and they are a relatively large multinational with a large UK presence - they really should have opening hours to suit. Even the eyebrow bars in the shopping malls have more staff and availability than GW stores.

Inquisitor Kallus
10-09-2015, 18:58
In the UK, the sheer number of GW stores means to me they are a highstreet brand. This also means to me, be bloody open during the day. You never see Boots or Tescos shut during the day do you? If GW only had 1 or 2 stores and were a small family business I could understand random day time closures, but I will not accept it from a highstreet store as they are a larger operation and should be capable of better. Whether customers are in or not at time X is irrelevant, the listed store opening times are.

They dont have one member of staff though do they.... . You wont accept it? lol, fair enough. Theyre a niche store, It doesnt matter to me if theyre closed for an hour or so while the guy goes to eat. Apparently theyre open during most other peoples lunch hour or something else crops up.

Mawduce
10-09-2015, 19:33
the model works so well all the other companies don't do it and are making serious money compared to GW loses every year. That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. You open during the hours your customers are likely to be in the store. GW is stuck in the 80s and 90s. They need to close these stores, fire the staff, let the indie stores sell the product and just be a manufacturing company of models. Subsidies another company to make their games rules too. If they want to make money doing only one thing, selling plastic, then they need to act like it and cut the fat.

Niall78
10-09-2015, 21:02
the model works so well all the other companies don't do it and are making serious money compared to GW loses every year. That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. You open during the hours your customers are likely to be in the store. GW is stuck in the 80s and 90s. They need to close these stores, fire the staff, let the indie stores sell the product and just be a manufacturing company of models. Subsidies another company to make their games rules too. If they want to make money doing only one thing, selling plastic, then they need to act like it and cut the fat.

The bricks and mortar stores are finished in the long run. Too niche and too expensive to run. They are an albatross around GWs neck that no other competitor faces. They've already been downsides - expect this downsizing to continue into the future. What was a good idea in the late Eighties is a disaster in the digital age. Especially with many stores downgrading to one man stores the whole "promoting the hobby" side of the B&M stores has fallen to the wayside - the poor dude working the shop simply doesn't have the time.

Nkari
10-09-2015, 22:30
I just wish GW would run high end tournys with high end rules, streaming the finals on twitch with commentators.. it could be awsome!..

Spiney Norman
10-09-2015, 22:34
I just wish GW would run high end tournys with high end rules, streaming the finals on twitch with commentators.. it could be awsome!..

Except that would be a complete disaster with both their current core games, Age of Sigmar and 40k have terrible rules for high end competitive play, broadcast tournaments would reveal just how ropey their rules have become over the last five years.

Nkari
10-09-2015, 22:46
Except that would be a complete disaster with both their current core games, Age of Sigmar and 40k have terrible rules for high end competitive play, broadcast tournaments would reveal just how ropey their rules have become over the last five years.

Oh I thougt it was implied in the "high end rules" but I guess not.. =)

So I will be blunt.. NEW RULES NEEDED FOR TWICH STREAMS OF TOURNYS!..

Hmmm.. I wonder if you could make a real world DoTa.. hmmm.. thinking..

RandomThoughts
10-09-2015, 23:45

Now let's be fair ... at least the 40K rules weren't really that much better 5 years ago...

ehlijen
11-09-2015, 01:55
Now let's be fair ... at least the 40K rules weren't really that much better 5 years ago...

5th ed wasn't any better suited for tournaments, but it was better suited for creating fun games with a minimum of pregame hassle.

Mawduce
11-09-2015, 02:36
5th ed wasn't any better suited for tournaments, but it was better suited for creating fun games with a minimum of pregame hassle.

which really what you want in a game

RandomThoughts
11-09-2015, 09:06

That's perhaps what YOU want in a game. What I wanted was a consistent system where you didn't have to choose between weapons that are good against heavy armor some of the time and weapons that are good against armor the rest of the time; where a callous IG commader could order his artillery to pond the chaos berserkers chewing through his conscripts fast; where a unit thrown into another units path as a roadblock actually slows it down instead of speeding it up; where you shoot an ork mob charging across open space and they don't get cover because their twenty buddies are still behind the tree-line; where cover actually has something to do with hitting the enemy, not with their armor rolls; the list goes on ... and that's before we delve into issues with specific armies...

ehlijen
11-09-2015, 10:14
That's perhaps what YOU want in a game. What I wanted was a consistent system where you didn't have to choose between weapons that are good against heavy armor some of the time and weapons that are good against armor the rest of the time; where a callous IG commader could order his artillery to pond the chaos berserkers chewing through his conscripts fast; where a unit thrown into another units path as a roadblock actually slows it down instead of speeding it up; where you shoot an ork mob charging across open space and they don't get cover because their twenty buddies are still behind the tree-line; where cover actually has something to do with hitting the enemy, not with their armor rolls; the list goes on ... and that's before we delve into issues with specific armies...

You're moving the goal posts. The question you posed is 'was 40k better 5 years ago (which I assume means back in 5th ed) than it is today?' and that is the question I answered. You didn't ask if 40k was perfect by a definition you hadn't shared at that point.

Neither is perfect, by pretty much anyone's definition, but one is still better than the other and you asked which that was. I gave you my answer.

blackcherry
11-09-2015, 11:34
The bricks and mortar stores are finished in the long run. Too niche and too expensive to run. They are an albatross around GWs neck that no other competitor faces. They've already been downsides - expect this downsizing to continue into the future. What was a good idea in the late Eighties is a disaster in the digital age. Especially with many stores downgrading to one man stores the whole "promoting the hobby" side of the B&M stores has fallen to the wayside - the poor dude working the shop simply doesn't have the time.

I do agree with the statement that GW stores are quiet (so are most high street retail stores of their type these days) and cost a lot to the company, but at the same time keeping them around seems to be driven by fear - they achieved domination of the market in the UK because of there being so many stores. So there seems to be a fear that when they go, they will just become another company as they will have lost the brand identity that comes from having shops in most towns and cities in the UK.

Also, and it sounds bizarre, but there may be a chance the GW is locked into rent agreements for 10+ years that would cost them more to get out of prematurely than letting it run down and then not renewing. It isn't unusual for companies of it's size and above to do because of the savings initially and the overconfidence most companies have at the time of signing (one company I used to work for would sign 80+ year tenancy contacts!).

Bear in mind though, that without any hard data the above is pure conjecture and it definitely isn't a defense of their practices. It's just that what makes sense to do and what you are actually able to do is a part of anything in life. Given GW's corporate culture and it's size, sudden rapid change change seems a hard thing to enforce.

RandomThoughts
11-09-2015, 11:47
You're moving the goal posts. The question you posed is 'was 40k better 5 years ago (which I assume means back in 5th ed) than it is today?' and that is the question I answered. You didn't ask if 40k was perfect by a definition you hadn't shared at that point.

Neither is perfect, by pretty much anyone's definition, but one is still better than the other and you asked which that was. I gave you my answer.

Fair enough.

I read your post as the game was perfectly fine 5 years ago if you didn't care about tourament play. If that's not what you meant, please let me apologize.

HelloKitty
11-09-2015, 15:06

I hated 5th edition precisely because of this - every game was basically the same. Same tiny subset of scenarios. Same basic army lists. This sameness burnt me out. The fun for me lasted about six months with 5th edition. You can only kill Draigo in the same mission so many times before it got old.

Here is my 5th edition experience summarized in a few sentences:

"Hey wanna try this forgeworld scenario?"

"nah - forgeworld isn't "real 40k" and I don't want to play anything not "real 40k". Besides, we don't use forgeworld in tournaments, and my army is built for tournaments and I'd be at a disadvantage"

"Hey wanna try a city fight?

"nah we don't use those scenarios or rules in tournaments and my army is built for tournaments and I'd be at a disadvantage"

"Hey wanna try using a super heavy in an apoc style game?"

"nah we don't use super heavies in tournaments, and my army is built for tournaments and I'd be at a disadvantage"

"Hey can I use this forgeworld tank I got? It looks pretty awesome"

"nah we don't use forgeworld in tournaments, and my army is built for tournaments and I'd be at a disadvantage"

"Can we do any other scenario despite the core scenarios in the rulebook?"

"nah we don't use any other scenarios in tournaments, and my army is built for tournaments and I'd be at a disadvantage"

Herzlos
11-09-2015, 15:48
That sounds like a problem with your opponent and not with the game. To me, 5th Ed avoided all of the extra crap - Superheavies, Fortifications, Flyers and so on that just utterly break the game. With most of that being an expansion to 6th Ed or fully included in 7th Ed with Unbound, things got a whole lot worse.

"Can we play a game where you don't use 4 Knights?"
"No, they are in the rules"

Killgore
11-09-2015, 16:07
I ask because this is the pic from the window of GW Uxbridge a while after a major product launch...

Chap inside seems nice though the place is often empty or closed when I pass.

GW Uxbridge hasn't really been given a chance. It has had a few managers over the the last year and only re-opened with a temp manager a day or two before the big AoS release.

I'm sure after abit of stability with the new manager given time to bed in the store will improve.

HelloKitty
11-09-2015, 16:50
That sounds like a problem with your opponent and not with the game. To me, 5th Ed avoided all of the extra crap - Superheavies, Fortifications, Flyers and so on that just utterly break the game. With most of that being an expansion to 6th Ed or fully included in 7th Ed with Unbound, things got a whole lot worse.

"Can we play a game where you don't use 4 Knights?"
"No, they are in the rules"

It was an entire community of people lol. And it was also enforced on internet discussion forums as well. It is obviously not the fault of the rules and the fault of the people, but when 5th went away and 6th took its place and forgeworld was deemed "official", all of that evaporated pretty much overnight.

ebbwar
11-09-2015, 20:04
They dont have one member of staff though do they.... . You wont accept it? lol, fair enough. Theyre a niche store, It doesnt matter to me if theyre closed for an hour or so while the guy goes to eat. Apparently theyre open during most other peoples lunch hour or something else crops up.

Closed for lunch is fine. Before I moved recently it was been all the: Closed for Training, closed due to illness, closed due to being on holiday signs I have encountered in the past thats not acceptable. The holiday one was a for a store over the Easter holidays of all times, you know when the kids (their target) are not in school. The regional manager approved holiday time for a one man store on such a time and then didn't arrange coverage... *sigh*

ehlijen
11-09-2015, 21:18
Fair enough.

I read your post as the game was perfectly fine 5 years ago if you didn't care about tourament play. If that's not what you meant, please let me apologize.

Coolio, I think we just talked past each other for a bit there. Sorry for my part in that, too.

'Perfectly fine' to me means 'it does its job well enough for me', and is distinct from 'perfect' as in flawless. 40k was never perfect, it's always carried too much baggage and the staggered release policy never truly supported balance. But there was a time when I considered it perfectly fine, and that was 4th and 5th (each had its own ups and downs).

6th brought in several new concepts that broke the game for me, and in my opinion it's pick up and play nature. 7th then made it worse. It suddenly didn't even just sorta work anymore for the format of play most people I know wanted from it (pick up games).

The_Real_Chris
11-09-2015, 21:22
GW Uxbridge hasn't really been given a chance. It has had a few managers over the the last year and only re-opened with a temp manager a day or two before the big AoS release.

I'm sure after abit of stability with the new manager given time to bed in the store will improve.

They have now removed them from the display, empty shelf instead though.

theredknight
12-09-2015, 00:28
no island of blood display anymore there then? :cries:

Herzlos
12-09-2015, 08:09
Closed for lunch is fine. Before I moved recently it was been all the: Closed for Training, closed due to illness, closed due to being on holiday signs I have encountered in the past thats not acceptable. The holiday one was a for a store over the Easter holidays of all times, you know when the kids (their target) are not in school. The regional manager approved holiday time for a one man store on such a time and then didn't arrange coverage... *sigh*

Closed for lunch can be a bit of a pain too, depending on how it's done. If it's a consistent time and not over the local "lunch break" time slot (say, 12-2) then it's OK. Since they only open at 10 I doubt they really need a lunch break at 12 anyway.

I may not by the typical customer but I'm not sure. 30, officer worker fixed days mon-fri but flexible hours, works in the city. I tend to cut out when it's quiet to get shopping done (generally between 10am-1pm, as I work with US staff my afternoons are busy, and the shops are quieter then). Getting into a 1-man store around then can be pretty hit and miss (more miss than hit, from my experience) because they rarely seem to open on time, so aiming to arrive at 10am is disappointing. There must be a lot of people who have fixed lunch breaks, who potentially can never visit a GW because it clashes with the single staffers break. Of course, that all relies on the store being somewhat handy to visit anyway.

Maybe the vast majority of their customers come in after work (I can't) or at the weekend though. Any ex-staffers able to comment?

ebbwar
12-09-2015, 11:37

Cause empty shelf advertising a whole load of nothing is so much more... useful. :rolleyes:

Herzlos
12-09-2015, 15:12
At least it's not creating a false sense of hope or excitement.

Lord Damocles
12-09-2015, 15:42
Cause empty shelf advertising a whole load of nothing is so much more... useful. :rolleyes:
Perhaps he's painting the AoS models... which he'll put on the shelf!

RandomThoughts
12-09-2015, 23:44
Perhaps he sold the box?

ebbwar
13-09-2015, 01:27
Perhaps he's painting the AoS models... which he'll put on the shelf!

Perhaps he could put the box on the empty shelf while painting/not painting the Ao$ models. Hmm... Scrodinger's Sigmarines...

mbh1127
13-09-2015, 14:54
What happens in one of these one man stores if two or more customers walk in at the same time?

How do they swarm around them giving ridiculous suggestions on what to buy?

jtrowell
14-09-2015, 08:51
It might be seen as heresy, but I think that sometimes they just ... let the second customer browser without bothering him or her.

Yes I know, it's terrible for the poor guy or gal left without the Holy Guidance(tm) of an official GW manager. :shifty:

KidDiscordia
15-09-2015, 03:20
As if they have more than 1 customer in the store at a time...

Skargit Crookfang
15-09-2015, 17:25
What happens in one of these one man stores if two or more customers walk in at the same time?

How do they swarm around them giving ridiculous suggestions on what to buy?

Oh, good god... had this experience the other day.

New GW for me (moved across the country a few weeks ago), the redshirt (well, blackshirt) interrupted just about everything my friends and I were talking about, plowed his way through us to give one friend of mine advice on buying paints (...which I had already just told him), proceeded to laugh at how we found the gold paint price increase obscene, and launched into the AoS tirade...

At which point, I decided to run interference, let the lads look around, while I conversed with the fellow. He was nice enough, though made some of the flimsiest arguments ever with regards to AoS, but said: "The best part is, GW isn't telling you how to play anymore! You can use AoS as a base, and make your OWN game!".

I remained calm.

samael
15-09-2015, 17:42

I remained calm.

Respect! :yes:

Skargit Crookfang
15-09-2015, 17:47
Respect! :yes:

Thank ya, sir.

There was no need to give the guy a hard time, or go nuclear. It's his job. Even if I found holes the size of the Bering Strait in his arguments, there's no reason to be "that guy".

HelloKitty
15-09-2015, 17:52
"The best part is, GW isn't telling you how to play anymore! You can use AoS as a base, and make your OWN game!".

This is precisely why I still play AoS actually.

samael
15-09-2015, 18:00
Thank ya, sir.

There was no need to give the guy a hard time, or go nuclear. It's his job. Even if I found holes the size of the Bering Strait in his arguments, there's no reason to be "that guy".

You' re right of course, but I have to admit that I make an actual mental preparation before I enter a GW. Just going through a quick list in my mind:" don't sigh, don't roll you eyes and don't shake your head in despair, all will be well". Works a Treat! :)

Skargit Crookfang
15-09-2015, 18:48

Yep, and that works for you. I find it abhorrent, as do a great many others. But, as this has been done to death, different strokes and all :)

narradisall
15-09-2015, 19:44
I think I made a mistake taking returns back to one of my local GW stores. The guy practically ran me out saying they didn't do refunds and later I found out he'd lied to me about that. Won't be going back to that one! Weirdly the guy was rather terse and it seemed like he was only interested in playing a game with two other guys in there. Wanted to pick up some stuff but I think I'll stick to online for now.

Still, there were three people in the store for a moment!

Vos
15-09-2015, 20:11
My local store (Preston in the North West of the UK) is really friendly and they usually seem to have two staff in there. Lots of nice displays and painted figures (AoS and 40K).
I went in today to buy some paints for my 30K Death Guard project and the staff chatted to em about painting techniques, background fluff for 30K etc. A pleasant waste of half an hour.
My opinion regarding game stores is use em or lose em.

I find them particularly useful for picking up paints, brushes etc as well as making the odd miniatures based order.

Vos

ebbwar
15-09-2015, 20:53
My local store (Preston in the North West of the UK) is really friendly and they usually seem to have two staff in there. Lots of nice displays and painted figures (AoS and 40K).
I went in today to buy some paints for my 30K Death Guard project and the staff chatted to em about painting techniques, background fluff for 30K etc. A pleasant waste of half an hour.
My opinion regarding game stores is use em or lose em.

I find them particularly useful for picking up paints, brushes etc as well as making the odd miniatures based order.

Vos

Tis my local store as well these days :) They even let you acknowledge that there are non-gw games and minis out there. Very progressive for a GW store... ;)

tmod
15-09-2015, 23:54

I am aware of your situation and how closed minded group members have prevented you from getting anyone to play homebrews before AoS, but you've got to admit its a rather lame sales pitch. Don't get me wrong, I'm not chastising or belittling you or your experiences, but think of the implications of GW saying they don't decide how you play/you can design your own game now: either they admit to charging rather a lot of money for an unfinished/unusable product. That doesn't mean people shouldn't buy if they want to but it's a pretty remarkable sales argument!
The other interpretation is that the game is playable as is, but post AoS people are actually ALLOWED to houserule by GW.

Again, I am aware of how some people refuse to play scenarios etc, but it's pretty arrogant, even by GW standards, to believe customers would actually seek permission to play the way they want...

Sent fra min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

mbh1127
16-09-2015, 03:29
Oh, good god... had this experience the other day.

New GW for me (moved across the country a few weeks ago), the redshirt (well, blackshirt) interrupted just about everything my friends and I were talking about, plowed his way through us to give one friend of mine advice on buying paints (...which I had already just told him), proceeded to laugh at how we found the gold paint price increase obscene, and launched into the AoS tirade...

At which point, I decided to run interference, let the lads look around, while I conversed with the fellow. He was nice enough, though made some of the flimsiest arguments ever with regards to AoS, but said: "The best part is, GW isn't telling you how to play anymore! You can use AoS as a base, and make your OWN game!".

I remained calm.

It's amazing how many idiotic things GW does, yet it's still extremely successful. There's probably something wrong with all of us.

someone2040
16-09-2015, 05:17
So I won't go into my spiel about GW. Enough to say that I generally don't frequent there very often, and generally only to buy paints. Would much rather hobby at home without the hassle of having to bring all my stuff into a cramped store.

To me, there's nothing strictly wrong about the picture in the OP. I don't have any problems about showing Island of Blood models and presenting that you can go in and try gaming and painting. Sure, it's not using the most recent product, but it gets the point across. Heck, I think there were for a while still Island of Blood sets you could buy (Maybe they're gone now, but certainly there was remaining stock post-AoS).

I do have problems with the fact that 2 months (or is it longer now?) after launch, the stores Age of Sigmar set still isn't completely painted. Most of the Stormcasts are painted to a GW standard, but the Khorne Bloodbound are basically untouched. Maybe the one-manners aren't allocated any time to this (although, I think their terrain has been painted...), but to me, how can you expect to wow new customers when you're teaching them to play with unpainted figures. Just sends a poor message in my opinion.

Herzlos
16-09-2015, 08:50
I don't believe any staff are allocated time for painting now; particularly the one-manners, who probably have to finish stuff at home since they may not get enough down time between other jobs to make any significant progress in store.

aprilmanha
16-09-2015, 09:24
The stores are meant to be allocated 2 hours a week where they are paid to be at work and allowed to be closed for "Store Work".

That includes painting models and paperwork.
The paperwork can take quite a while though and can't be done while customers are in the store so that will be given priority over painting.

That leaves quick snatches of painting between customers or if you have another painter in the store so you don't need to run through the 10C's with them.

At least thats how it was a couple of years ago when I did it.
I know they have changed up the Area manager system since then, so the staff may well have more or less admin time then before.

I just remember I used to try and get most of the till countup and daily paperwork done in the last 30 minutes of opening so I could quickly complete it once I locked the door so I could give the store a quick clean before going home.
Once the door is locked in the evening you are not being paid to be there but waiting till then to do the cashup and clean + paperwork can take at least 30 minutes if its been a busy day. 15 minutes after closing to going home was a good day, while some times it was an hour later if things went wrong for any reason!

Poncho160
16-09-2015, 09:36
Are the stores given miniatures to paint and display or do they have to buy their own miniatures? I am guessing it is just the starter boxes that the store is given.

aprilmanha
16-09-2015, 10:20
No idea anymore I'm afraid.

It used to be that the store would get a black box of the next months releases to build for display and hype building.
That stopped when the company went to stealth-mode on the release schedule and they went to listing stock from the shelf that was used for display as "Damaged" on the tills to remove it from the stock list.
Then it would be made for display.

But that means the store cannot start making display pieces until after their release and since something new is out next week anyway, I don't see the point in starting a display piece since it will be "old" by the time I would have it finished.

The_Real_Chris
16-09-2015, 10:28
Well, if GW wants to make this work, do they need to be supplying stores with pre-painted models and displays? Companies overseas can churn them out easily enough to GW standard. Have a friend who runs such a painting factory in Bangladesh.

aprilmanha
16-09-2015, 10:48
That would be an added expense.
Cheaper to tell the store staff to do it in their spare time and shame them if they fail to do so.

Herzlos
16-09-2015, 10:51
Should they? Yes, absolutely. They should also be training staff on painting techniques so they can advise customers.

Will they? Nah, sounds expensive.

Void_Walker
16-09-2015, 10:54
Cheaper to tell the store staff to do it in their spare time and shame them if they fail to do so.
The worst part is that I actually believe you; that sounds just like GW.

How are the stores managing with the increased release pace?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

aprilmanha
16-09-2015, 11:02
The worst part is that I actually believe you; that sounds just like GW.

How are the stores managing with the increased release pace?

Could not comment on that since I have not been there since that change, but I don't think the release pace is actually increased, just more fragmented.

It used to be that you would have one major release each month with a particular theme, and usually an army book to go with it, or some other rule book release.
Then half way through the month there would be a smaller release of either a second wave from the previous months theme or some additional extras that don't really fit in with another theme (like a small character for a couple of different armies).

But I believe that the total number of boxes and units released each month is still roughly the same as before.

Its just that with the weekly releases you can get 2 army books in a single month (but not much else released) and it feels more frequent with something every week, even if it is only 1-2 things a week, instead of 4-5 things at the start of the month and 2-3 in the middle.

Void_Walker
16-09-2015, 11:11
Could not comment on that since I have not been there since that change, but I don't think the release pace is actually increased, just more fragmented.

It used to be that you would have one major release each month with a particular theme, and usually an army book to go with it, or some other rule book release.
Then half way through the month there would be a smaller release of either a second wave from the previous months theme or some additional extras that don't really fit in with another theme (like a small character for a couple of different armies).

But I believe that the total number of boxes and units released each month is still roughly the same as before.

Its just that with the weekly releases you can get 2 army books in a single month (but not much else released) and it feels more frequent with something every week, even if it is only 1-2 things a week, instead of 4-5 things at the start of the month and 2-3 in the middle.
Certainly feels faster. Since WD went weekly I've not been buying it (mainly because it was hard for me to get a physical copy) and the pace has left me a little bewildered at times must even harder for single person store.

aprilmanha
16-09-2015, 11:21
Certainly feels faster. Since WD went weekly I've not been buying it (mainly because it was hard for me to get a physical copy) and the pace has left me a little bewildered at times must even harder for single person store.

I think the feeling faster is the intended reason for the change (maybe less of the bewilderment though).
Particularly as it could be different ranges going from week to week which increases the feeling (Gosh, Imperial guard last week, Knights this week and now next week is some Warhammer! so fast!)

This Last month has felt so slow in comparison with releases of Sigmarines filing every slot its more like the old system but dribbled over the month, instead of it all released at the start of the month.

I suspect that this weekly release helps GW regulate its shipping costs as well, since the cost will not really change much week to week.

Before, the first delivery of the month was always huge with the stock for the months new range, while the second weeks was much smaller with just normal restock of stock levels from the weeks sales.

Lord Damocles
16-09-2015, 19:12
Well, if GW wants to make this work, do they need to be supplying stores with pre-painted models and displays? Companies overseas can churn them out easily enough to GW standard. Have a friend who runs such a painting factory in Bangladesh.
I'm just going to guess that a) the Bangladesh factory isn't churning out the sort of numbers of models which GW would need to supply all of their stores (at least hundreds every week), and b) wages are somewhat lower in Bangladesh.

Poncho160
16-09-2015, 19:57
Do GW mainly employ people who are interested in the hobby to begin with or do they got after retail staff?

If it is just people interested in the hobby, GW are emptying the wrong people. You can't employ someone to sell your product based on the fact that they play it in their spare time.

On the flip side, you couldn't really expect someone fresh to GW to start painting miniatures and the such.

ebbwar
16-09-2015, 22:19

If I worked in a shop (GW or non-GW) and was told to work on the shop display in my own time unpaid, I would feel no shame when I get pulled on why I had done nothing to it. Yes, in a GW store the minis and tables are a part of the shop display, so they should either allocate the shop staff work time to paint the display pieces or have a small shop painting department that paints new stuff enmass to a basic level and then ship out to the stores.

RandomThoughts
16-09-2015, 22:53
If I worked in a shop (GW or non-GW) and was told to work on the shop display in my own time unpaid, I would feel no shame when I get pulled on why I had done nothing to it. Yes, in a GW store the minis and tables are a part of the shop display, so they should either allocate the shop staff work time to paint the display pieces or have a small shop painting department that paints new stuff enmass to a basic level and then ship out to the stores.

I guess you wouldn't work long in a GW then...

jet_palero
16-09-2015, 23:40

Heh, you've not got the right "attitude" then. Prepare to be downsized! There's good reasons turnover in GW employees is so high. For a while there back in Gig Harbor, it seemed they had a new "manager" (hah hah) every time I went in for supplies. And while I wasn't buying very many models, back then I was still buying paints and such because it was cheaper than going anywhere else (because of the bridge toll or gas money). I'd just finally get them to know me well enough that they wouldn't hassle me the moment I walked through the door, and they'd be out and some new guy would be pushing me to buy some random new release.

As far as I can tell, GW considers its employees salesmen rather than store managers. They're there to push a product on the customer, like a car salesman, rather than just run a store and wait for the customer to come find something. Honestly, it never made any sense to me from a company that is too lazy to even advertise.

aprilmanha
17-09-2015, 10:21
Heh, you've not got the right "attitude" then. Prepare to be downsized!
That's not far from the truth actually :P as a trainee manager I got disciplined for not correctly preparing for our stores birthday and only making 8 times the normal sales on the day.
While I did fail to do one thing myself (Find out about the store party pack)

I felt a little put upon since
1. No one had ever told me that a party pack was even a thing
2. I was not even working that day.
3. It was the launch of Finecast and its reputation had already started to get out :)
4. I had stayed in the store until 10pm the night before rearranging everything for the Finecast release and store birthday ready for the new manager to arrive the next day... after a solid 10 days on my own without a break after having had 2 weeks holiday (which I spent most of my time in the store helping out the cover staff who were useless.)
5. I was also blamed for the new manager not being able to get in the store early with the area manager, even though the agreed plan was that the Part timer who was working with them that day was meant to bring the key for them... but they never mentioned that they were turning up early to either the Part timer or me...

Anyway I could rant for ages on the retail work, and the Area Manager who made it a painful experience.

Herzlos
17-09-2015, 11:14
Do GW mainly employ people who are interested in the hobby to begin with or do they got after retail staff?

They used to look for gamers, I think now they'll take anyone as there's been a lot of new managers that have never played the games before.

Skargit Crookfang
17-09-2015, 15:00

If he were to be terminated for not using his own time to work on company projects, was paid wage and, worse, not paid overtime for the work done, GW would be in breach of labour code (both provincial and federal) in Canada. I've been part of such a case in the past, and the court systems here take that VERY seriously. There was a case, not long ago, where TD/CIBC and one or two other major banks were expecting salaried employees to work well over the 48 hour limit, and be on-call quite frequently (mainly leading to company projects being thrust into unpaid time). The plaintiffs won....big.

Sorry, GeeDubs, but if you think you have more legislative or litigious power than the banks, you are out of your damned minds.

aprilmanha
17-09-2015, 15:42
If he were to be terminated for not using his own time to work on company projects, was paid wage and, worse, not paid overtime for the work done, GW would be in breach of labour code (both provincial and federal) in Canada. I've been part of such a case in the past, and the court systems here take that VERY seriously. There was a case, not long ago, where TD/CIBC and one or two other major banks were expecting salaried employees to work well over the 48 hour limit, and be on-call quite frequently (mainly leading to company projects being thrust into unpaid time). The plaintiffs won....big.

Sorry, GeeDubs, but if you think you have more legislative or litigious power than the banks, you are out of your damned minds.
It would not be called "Fired for not working overtime for free" though
GW would write you up for a number of complaints over a short time for not keeping your store to the expected standard and then you would be given the boot once they felt they had enough examples of you not being able to do your job in the time allowed.

They don't "expect" you to work over time, but they do have a set of requirements of work todo within your working time and failing to do it would because for dismissal over time (even if the required work was impossible to do in that time)

Skargit Crookfang
17-09-2015, 16:21
It would not be called "Fired for not working overtime for free" though
GW would write you up for a number of complaints over a short time for not keeping your store to the expected standard and then you would be given the boot once they felt they had enough examples of you not being able to do your job in the time allowed.

They don't "expect" you to work over time, but they do have a set of requirements of work todo within your working time and failing to do it would because for dismissal over time (even if the required work was impossible to do in that time)

Doesn't matter. If it could be proven, while documented, that this was the crux of the termination and unfair treatment was given because of this (ie: undue disciplinary actions) there would be grounds for: unjust termination, hostile work environment and, possibly, slander. I know this because I've gone through the same experience with a company quite some time ago and took them to the cleaners in a class action.

EDIT: it's also called creative dismissal, and is quite illegal.

EDIT 2: Great article on it from HR Reporter: http://www.hrreporter.com/blog/canadian-hr-law/archive/2012/01/10/overtime-risks-and-misconceptions

aprilmanha
17-09-2015, 17:08
I imagine GW would claim that the work is part of the managerial Duties of the Manager (who is the only staff member after all) and those are outside the Overtime requirements looking at your link.
I expect they would use that as a loophole.

Even so, I only had issue with the Area Manager at the time. The previous one that was replaced was really good and very helpful at working on improving processes and making everything more efficient.
The other Staff I worked with were all good as well and I was sad to leave them after I quit. (even if I saw them most weeks after a month or so since they were still my local store :) )

ebbwar
17-09-2015, 21:46

I would never apply to begin with... ;)

In the UK, I think its currently the first two years of employment in which the employer can say, "Its not really working out so we have to let you go". Then hire a replacement.

The_Real_Chris
17-09-2015, 22:15
I'm just going to guess that a) the Bangladesh factory isn't churning out the sort of numbers of models which GW would need to supply all of their stores (at least hundreds every week), and b) wages are somewhat lower in Bangladesh.

Well I meant contract work out overseas like other companies.

As to volume - hundreds each week is common. This chap at one point stopped accepting orders under a certain value (can't remember offhand but there were multiple orders of ten, twenty plus thousand.

Historicals are a funny business...

Oh and pay wise they were getting several times the base rate of traffic cops... But certainly rather low by western standards.

Vos
18-09-2015, 14:34
In the UK, you'd go to a Employment Tribunal (which you'd have to pay for). Then you'd have to hire your own solicitor (as you can be sure GW would turn up with one). You won't be awarded costs.
The pay outs at unfair dismissal tribunals for reasonably low to middling paid workers (which I'd class a GW retail store manager as) will be so low it would hardly be worth your while, considering the financial risk of losing.
And you'd find it difficult to find work again in that field unless you lied (omitted) about the fact you'd taken your last employer to tribunal.

I don't think GW is the place to go to build a career or make money unless you're totally committed and willing to work very hard for low remuneration, for many, many years.
Of course the 'plus' side is that you get to work in the toy soldier industry and for many, this makes it totally worth it.

Vos