PDA

View Full Version : Poll - are you basing any new purchases on round or square bases?

Vulgarsty
21-09-2015, 00:22
Given it doesn't matter in AoS apart from aesthetics - apparently round bases "look cooler" according to the redshirt I spoke to who explained the reasoning behind this shift. Leaving aside for a second the risible notion that any GW staffer could be an arbiter of "coolness" in this or any other universe, how many people are going with round bases as supplied, or who is square basing with a view to backwards/other systems compatibility?

Buddy Bear
21-09-2015, 00:24
I've stopped buying Warhammer miniatures entirely, so it's not an issue I need to worry about, but I'll be sticking with square bases. I'm going to keep playing Warhammer Fantasy and will soon start playing Kings of War, too, so square bases are required for both games. I may get blasted drunk one day and play Age of Sigmar, but bases don't matter there, so square, round, I could play it just the same. There's really no point in rebasing any Warhammer models to round bases, as all you'd be doing is limiting your gameplay options.

Square Bases --> Warhammer Fantasy, Kings of War, Age of Sigmar
Round Bases --> Age of Sigmar

Utility and being able to play three different games with the same models beats "look cooler" any day of the week.

TheLionReturns
21-09-2015, 01:38
8th edition is my preferred game so square bases. I may play AoS occasionally but there is no problem useing square bases for that too.

Ludaman
21-09-2015, 02:27
Square bases. I don't usually play skirmish games, but when I do it's infinity.

Col. Tartleton
21-09-2015, 02:29
Rectangles work better than ovals.

Woops, clicked for round by mistake.

peukestas
21-09-2015, 04:27
Squares for reasons.
If you have the time to read:
1- My entire army is already in squares.
2- I just bought 4 boxes online at half their original price -all come with square bases.
3- There is a dim hope that AoS is an entry level game system and that a ruleset for mass battles will come out sooner or later.
4- Dark elf infantry really looks awesome in square ranks. I cannot even imagine dreadspears or black guard in round bases (there could be an exception for corsairs and witches).

jet_palero
21-09-2015, 04:31
My remaining orcs and goblins will naturally go on to square bases, as they need them to fit with their compatriots. I have no intention of ever rebasing them, the very idea is "otiose" (to quote our good buddy kerby).

samael
21-09-2015, 08:33
There is such a thing as a round base? Square all the way!

ShruikhanTK
21-09-2015, 09:01
****...I accidently hit round bases lol I meant square

Kakapo42
21-09-2015, 10:08
Square bases for me, since I intend to steer well clear of AoS and continue with my Warhammer Fantasy 8th/6th edition hybrids.

Also am I the only one who thinks square bases look cooler? I mean round bases have their place in the tabletop world, but they just don't look right to me on fantasy models. I much prefer the look of fantasy models on square bases.

Kaltheras
21-09-2015, 10:25
Squares most definitely. This was never really a consideration for me, even when I was planning to invest heavily in AoS. The problem I have is that I'd never re-base the ~800 chaos miniatures I've already got on squares. So while I have been buying some AoS miniatures I've still been basing them on squares. On that note, where are people getting their square bases these days?

Yamabushi
21-09-2015, 10:28
Squares of course. I can play 8E, KOW, Frostgrave with them. I don't see how round bases are inherently "cooler" than squares.

Shandor
21-09-2015, 11:02
Square look better. And i cant really good Rank&File with round bases.. so no reason to get rounds.
+ I would never ever damage my cool miniatures for this madness.

Holier Than Thou
21-09-2015, 11:33
All my recent purchases have been put on square bases, this is because all my recent purchases have been for X-Wing. Since AOS was released I haven't made any purchases of GW products (apart from some paints) and I don't intend to.

Seriously though, square bases all the way for Fantasy. Looks much cooler ranked up which can't really be done on rounds.

Spiney Norman
21-09-2015, 11:41
Round bases

The reason being my starter set models all came with round bases and I have no intention of using them with wfb, also the daemons I'm adding to the force are doubling up as an army in 40k/30k so I need them on round too.

I have four functional armies for wfb that I have no intention of rebasing, so in the rare event that I can find a wfb opponent I still have plenty of options.

jullevi
21-09-2015, 13:13
I have used round bases for all purchases since End Times: Nagash, with the exception of models intended for unfinished army projects of previous editions.

I am not going to rebase any models. I'd rather start new army projects for AoS instead. This does not necessarily require buying new models - who doesn't have a closet full of unassembled miniatures?

Tokamak
21-09-2015, 13:27
I've just started a new army on squares WITH movement trays.

Clewz
21-09-2015, 13:53
mixed. Have done some withsare round bases but i'm Rreally no bothered about buying additional bases on top of the model themselves

Tau_player001
21-09-2015, 13:57
Directly into movement trays.

I don't really have an option to vote for =/

Tokamak
21-09-2015, 14:03
You're gluing your models straight on movement trays? I mean, geez, I hate AoS built even I wouldn't go as far as to make such a point.

Tau_player001
21-09-2015, 14:05
You're gluing your models straight on movement trays? I mean, geez, I hate AoS built even I wouldn't go as far as to make such a point.
Yep. Something like this is what i am planning to do.

https://manticforum.com/forum/kings-of-war/orcs/246213-da-great-keef-work-in-progress

Easier to move around, looks way better once painted.

WarbossKurgan
21-09-2015, 14:45
I'm putting anything new on round/oval bases and slowly re-basing all my old stuff.

I would be ploughing through the re-basing much faster but I've had a 90% drop in hobby time since we had twins.

Herzlos
21-09-2015, 14:56
Mass battle or anything requiring ranks - square
Skirmish or anything requiring loose formation (with the ironic exception of ancients skirmishers who are multi-based on rectangles) - round.

akai
21-09-2015, 15:26
Anything before AoS (including those repackagings) I plan to stick to square and rectangles.

The AoS models I will stick to round.

Lars Porsenna
21-09-2015, 15:30
Square. As I have little intention of playing AoS, I'm sticking to ranked armies to be used in 8th (or earlier editions), KoW, or whatever other ranked games come out. Also useful if I want to use the figures for HoTT (just do movement trays that mimic Warrior's 28mm basing scheme).

Damon.

smaxx
21-09-2015, 18:35
Round mostly. Bolt Action and Saga infantry models on round bases, Cavalry on 25*50mm square bases. The round based historic minis are based on metal, so can be attached to magnetic movement trays for Hail Caesar and Deus Vult. Or even for Kings of War. For WHFB I've got now what I need, and there's no need for buying anything at the moment. Actually not probably until there's some new army books for Warhammer Fantasy, and as that's not likely to happen anytime soon, my GW purchases are limited to the new Devlan mud.

Lordmonkey
21-09-2015, 20:52
Square, because my men will rank up in EXACT LINES and march in EXACT LINES and die in EXACT lines 0_o

*twitch*

Vulgarsty
21-09-2015, 21:17
Squares most definitely. This was never really a consideration for me, even when I was planning to invest heavily in AoS. The problem I have is that I'd never re-base the ~800 chaos miniatures I've already got on squares. So while I have been buying some AoS miniatures I've still been basing them on squares. On that note, where are people getting their square bases these days?

I just bought 500 20x20, 500 25x25 and 100 25x50 from here http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=accessories~plastic-bases

larger bases will have to go on mdf = loads of lasercut options.

I seriously hate GW for this the most - not killing fantasy, not bringing in AoS / PoS, but trying to wreck the backwards compatibility. At this point, there is 17 people voting here whom I would struggle to be able to play against with their new miniatures so it has split the available pool of opponents.

biccat
21-09-2015, 21:26
I bought some skeletons recently from a third party, they are going on square bases because all the other fantasy stuff I own is on square bases. If the only reason to use round bases is for "coolness," then I don't see any reason to switch.

Kings of War is based on unit combat, not individual models. It makes a lot of sense to glue units directly to the movement tray.

Tokamak
21-09-2015, 21:44
Kings of War is based on unit combat, not individual models. It makes a lot of sense to glue units directly to the movement tray.

That was my second question cheers! How does Kings of War deal with gigantic units?

amboadine
21-09-2015, 22:10
KoW typically has multiple sizes of each unit, all with a defined footprint.
For infantry ;
Troops - 10 (5x2)
Regiments -20 (5x4)
Hordes - 40 (10x4)
Legions - 60 (10x6)

Theses are the only foot prints allowed within the game and is defined by each model type.

Gives great opportunity for multi basing as there is no requirement to use exactly that number of models, around 70% is acceptable so they can be spaced out and posed nicely.

Tokamak
21-09-2015, 22:35
Oh that sounds decent. I'm a sucker for big blocks.

Tau_player001
22-09-2015, 00:37
Oh that sounds decent. I'm a sucker for big blocks.
Yeah, i love how they look that way, and you can save some money too. And if you do 5x2 troop formation, you can perfectly combine two troops to make a regiment, etc etc.
I don't make it to make a point like I hate AOS muahahaha, just because it's practical for KOW :D

Buddy Bear
22-09-2015, 01:06
Multi-basing is a tempting thought, but I want to be able to play both Warhammer Fantasy and Kings of War, so that's out of the question. I'll probably just magnetize my trays.

Lord Inquisitor
22-09-2015, 01:30
Yeah I've started rebuilding (reanimating?) an old VC army as a Kings of War army. Ultimately I plan on making each unit a single base with almost a diorama on top. Probably in factors of the smallest unit size. So a horde of 40 revenants would be on 4 10-man bases, so I can field them as troops, regiments or a horde.

I'm not going to multi-base the rest of my existing WFB models though. At least not yet. I want to keep the option of playing 9th age or whatever open.

Tokamak
22-09-2015, 01:33
I use infantry rank bases. I even bought GW's overpriced ones after most other options turned out to be sub-par.

bigbiggles
22-09-2015, 03:48
Squares all the way. Even putting the AoS starter set on squares just in case they move in to the ninth age

hoggle76
22-09-2015, 15:39
my new stuff is on rounds, as to me, it blends into the table better. and if want, can still put them on movement trays with straight edges for purposes of any other game i may play (though the more i get into the aos rules set and ethos of play, honestly cant see me going back to any whfb or other except possibly fantasy warriors). slowly rebasing a lot of older models to be on rounds too, often simply pennies for my elves.

Captain Marius
22-09-2015, 19:01
New stuff for my old armies is going on squares, new AoS armies will go on rounds. I do think models look better on rounds tho!

Okuto
22-09-2015, 21:28
Squares purely due to utility, lets me play KoW, oldhammer, D&D, Warhammer roleplay, AoS etc etc. also have a surplus of them

I've got a shortage of circles, so any of them automatically go into my 40k armies