PDA

View Full Version : Guard Squad Markings

Steel_Legion
07-07-2006, 15:16
Not sure if this is the right place, but anyway, recently i have been inspired to collect a regiment of guardsmen, but in order to do this properly i need to use shoulder markings, only problem is that they no longer supply the ones used in 3rd ed imperial guard, the circle with half one colour, half the other, and a number, anyone got any idea how i could improvise this with the latest transfers?

Codsticker
07-07-2006, 15:38
You could post in the Wanted section of the Trading forum; somebody might have some laying around. Another option is eBay.

Giltharin
07-07-2006, 16:29
How about painting them yourself?

The colours are easy to paint and for the numbers you can use Latin numbers that are very easy to paint: 1 = I ; 2 = II ; 3 = III ; 4 = IV ; 5 = V ; 6 = VI ; 7 = VII ; 8 = VIII ; 9 = IX ; 10 = X ; 11 = XI and so on untill 49 = IL, 50 = L; 51 = LI and you restart the whole list above just placing L at the beginning.

Cheers
Gilth

Steel_Legion
07-07-2006, 16:35
a friend siggested i paint by hand, the circle and its 2 halfs, with a number in the middle, but thats too much effort for me (yes, very lazy!) so i was trying to think of a way to incorparate the new trensfer sheet into this but cant think of any way, unless i just called squads "812" etc, and the command has the number, skull, and the other number, but its not as orginised as i would like to see

Captain Brown
07-07-2006, 16:52
Steel_Legion,

A very easy way to use the new transfers with the old colour scheme identified squads is to paint a simple coloured circle on the shoulder pad and then apply the transfer on top. Several different colours can differentiate squads fairly easily.

Want to go one step further, take some tape and mask one side of the circle and paint another colour on the other half.

There are also loads of the old transfers lying around. I think I even have some in one of my transfer boxes.

CB

Steel_Legion
07-07-2006, 17:23
now i just need to figure out what transfers go on what tanks... this is going to get confusing, any idea how to correctly unify them all? i have at my disposal 3 russ's, 1 basilisk, 1 hellhound, 1 sentinal and 2 chimeras so far, what goes where?

Minister
08-07-2006, 01:59
Sentinels are infantry support units, and would be integrated to the regiment. The tanks and the bassilisk would be attatched units from (seperate) armoured regiments, so you'll need diferent markings.

If I recall the old system, broad stripes on the turret or side of the hull gave company designations. Squadrons/batteries were designated by a coloured patch with an icon in the centre (geometric for artillery, traditional Imperial symbol for armour) in a different colour for each squadron.

Sir_Turalyon
08-07-2006, 09:02
You may just paint shoulder pads in colours you want to. I'm using shoulder colour to identify platoon and number to identify the squad...

Steel_Legion
08-07-2006, 12:45
wel right now i am using the tank transfer sheet, as it comes with blue and yellow circles with a 2, and blue anf white with a 3, so the first few squads get these, its a start, and if i cant find any old transfers, i will finish the rest (sigh..) of by hand

robertsjf
08-07-2006, 14:02
The tanks and the bassilisk would be attatched units from (seperate) armoured regiments, so you'll need diferent markings.

Are any of your Russes Demolisher? Technically, they're infantry support tanks. Depending on which edition of an IG codex you read they're either: part of armored regiment permanently assigned to the inf regiment or actually part of the regiment itself. Same for the Chimeras, it can go either way (makes me chuckle, thinking about entire regiments of empty transports).

Inq. Veltane
08-07-2006, 14:09
The only problem with the old scheme is that it doesn't work well if the regiment is more than about the size of a battalion. I mean, after maybe ten companies you really start to run out of company colours...

cookiescrumble
08-07-2006, 14:17
For mine i just painted a vertical stripe down the centre of the shoulder pad, the colour determines the platoon. Then there are a series of white vertical stripes for each squad and a C for the command squad. Very simple and very effective.

Minister
08-07-2006, 14:28
The only problem with the old scheme is that it doesn't work well if the regiment is more than about the size of a battalion. I mean, after maybe ten companies you really start to run out of company colours...
I am reminded of a conversation in THe Thief of Time amongst the Auditors, who were using colours for names, and getting annoyed that, whilst there were infinite variations of colour, there were not infinite names.

Inq. Veltane
08-07-2006, 15:47
I love Pratchett...anyway, 'pink' platoon just doesn't work for me...

Robot 2000
08-07-2006, 15:52
If you're using cadians it's easy to do squad markings with stripes like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/robot2k/markings.jpg

If you can paint a stripe of colour, you can paint these on fine.