PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with Chaos Lord build?

kelly110581
25-09-2015, 14:11
Hey guys, was hoping to hear your opinions on a setup for a chaos lord. A lot of my buddies tend to use dragons and other large monsters in bigger games so I'm trying to create an answer to these beasts. I want to avoid escalating the problem by simply sticking a lord on a dragon myself and try to do something different. Someone pointed out the combo of a 4+ ward, MoT and third eye of tzeentch to me the other day and it got me thinking… If I can make my lord practically invincible then he won't need a dragon to stand toe-to-toe with other monsters. I also like the idea that I can merrily throw him at anything and grin as my opponent gets stuck in combat with something that just. Wont. Die. Should catch them off guard the first time he's used, then they'll just avoid him like the plague. I've ended up settling on the following build;

Chaos Lord, MoT, Disc of Tzeentch, Shield
Mutations: Scaled Skin, Third eye of Tzeentch
Magic items: Armour of Destiny, Dawnstone

So this guy has can fly, has a 1+ re-rollable armour save, 3+ Ward Save that re-rolls 1s. T5 and 3 wounds, as well as a couple of extra attacks from the disc.

Problem is I can't work out how to set him up offensively. I've got 20pts left to spend on mutations and 25pts left for magic items.

I thought I could take poisonous slime with the sword of battle and a potion of foolhardiness so I can happily charge into a big, terror causing monster and have a fair chance of taking it down. But then all attacks would be s5 so I'd be relying on poison for tough opponents.

Another option would be taking a great weapon for permanent s7, which would leave me with points free to boost him some other way (which I haven't managed to work out yet, maybe soul-feeder and some sort of attacks boost?), although the downside would be that he wouldn't be able to use the shield in combat, meaning his re-rollable 1+ would only be a 2+, kind of defeating the whole point of trying to make him invincible. Also, by taking a mundane weapon I worry about getting stuck in combat with something I can't kill… Ethereal for example.

Other thing I thought of is maybe just putting him on a daemonic mount for the extra s5 attacks and +2 to armour save, negating the previously mentioned shield problem. My issue with that though, is that it costs more for a slower steed...

Or is there a better offensive combo entirely that I haven't thought of? (using the points I have left)

datalink7
27-09-2015, 03:39
Another option.

Chaos Lord, MoT, Disc of Tzeentch
Mutations: Scaled Skin, Third Eye, Soul Feeder
Magic Items: Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Other Tricksters Shard

Now, you lose 1+ rerollable, but you still have 1+/3++ (rerolling ones on the Ward). Plus, you can get wounds back from Soul Feeder. Still pretty difficult to take down.

The advantage of this build is you have S7 at your initiative and your opponent rerolls their ward saves, making him more effective on the offense.

kelly110581
27-09-2015, 13:56
Wow, thanks! Never thought of that. Its worth losing the re-roll when you're getting such strong attacks and combining it with soul feeder, It'll make it even funnier when he does get wounded but then steals the wounds right back:) I was toying with the idea of losing scaled skin and giving him a shield instead (sacrificing a bit more defence) and giving him flaming breath so he can tear an infantry block a new one if the opportunity arises (or just throw out 2D6 S4 hits on a lone character) would stack really nice with soul feeder if he gets short of wounds... Just not sure if it's worth losing the armour point for a one-shot random-hits weapon. I figure armours not as important as ward if you're going up against dragons and other lords as most will shred through armour anyway. What do you reckon?

Ayin
29-09-2015, 05:00
Dragons and the Lords that ride them (sounds like a documentary or something) are generally in the S6/7 range, negating armour by -3/-4. A 1+ save is great here, as it gives you a 50/50 against the S6, but as the save comes down, even by a point, it quickly starts to tell. If you're making the character to fight other big Lords and Dragons, then the 1+ is very important. If you're making him to be generally useful, the Flaming Breath is awesome.

Don't discount the Chaos Lord on Dragon in (really) big games though, especially if your buddies aren't big on cannons. Two (or three) breath weapons plus those raw stats are pretty impressive.

kelly110581
29-09-2015, 06:38
Dragons and the Lords that ride them (sounds like a documentary or something).

Haha, yes. Yes it does. :) Aw man, you make really good points but now I'm more confused than ever. I started wanting an invincible lord, realised that to make him more killy I'd have to sacrifice some defence and now i'm considering a fully offensive lord. On a dragon no less, the exact thing I set out to avoid!

If he goes on a dragon I could keep him with the original unkillable setup, give him soulfeeder and a sword of might to get s6. Then the sheer number of attacks the dragon would add, along with the breath weapons would balance him out nicely into an invincible killing machine.

Problem is, he'll look like an invincible killing machine and attract a lot of attention (not such a bad thing but as soon as the dragon dies he's stuck on foot) and I really want to avoid a dragon if possible, everyone I play regularly fits a dragon into their list in bigger games and I hate having 'samey' tactics. Besides, If I keep him on the disc I'd have enough points left in the lord section for a sorceror lord as well... God knows, have to have a good think about it.

Victory or my dignity... It's a no brainer really. Who needs dignity?

Vulgarsty
29-09-2015, 20:10
1 Chaos Lord of Tzeentch, 408 pts (Mark of Tzeentch; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Eye of the Gods; Barding)
1 Armour of Destiny
1 Dawnstone
1 The Other Trickster's Shard
1 Scaled Skin (Scaly Skin (5+))
1 Soul Feeder
1 Third Eye of Tzeentch
1 Daemonic Mount (Daemonic Attacks; Fear; Stomp; Swiftstride)

Deliberately not given him magic attacks in case he has to dish hurt to BotWD Elves - his mount has magical attacks to attack ethereals. Plus opponents must re-roll successful wards. 5S6 attacks and 4S5 ones inc stomp.

Here you have 1+ re-rollable, and a 3++ (re-rolling ones on the Ward). Plus, you can get wounds back from Soul Feeder. Swapping the Disc for a Demonic Mount means your now invulnerable to KB.

Aezeal
03-10-2015, 13:13
I'd totally go Chaos Rune-Axes and Daemon touched dagger. It's better than the other options I think.

kelly110581
03-10-2015, 14:21
I'd totally go Chaos Rune-Axes and Daemon touched dagger. It's better than the other options I think.

Where do you get those? Not seen em in the army book?

Aezeal
04-10-2015, 09:45
Where do you get those? Not seen em in the army book?

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-warriors-of-chaos-en.pdf

Page 7

kelly110581
04-10-2015, 21:04
http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-warriors-of-chaos-en.pdf

Page 7

Aw thanks, sorry pal, I should've been clearer in my post... I'm sticking with the 8th ed books for now. Got no problem with AoS, just prefer 8th myself :)

Davidian
09-10-2015, 09:49
Think it's mostly been covered but anything with a 1+/3++ rr1's is golden. Personal preference for me is on a disc with flaming breath, soulfeader and charmed shield.

Charmed shield as many of my regular victim.... Er, opponents ;-) have cannons or bolt throwers.

Wesser
09-10-2015, 16:49
Snooze-fest crutch lord build

Ask yourself if you wanna pay 400 points for a tarpit that everyone assumes WoC players Will always field? He's part of og the popularity og light councils after all.

Davidian
10-10-2015, 07:58
Snooze-fest

For super fun times, start with mot, disc, flaming breath, hellfire sword... Rest of kit to taste.

BUUUUUUUURN! :D

Aezeal
10-10-2015, 11:02
Aw thanks, sorry pal, I should've been clearer in my post... I'm sticking with the 8th ed books for now. Got no problem with AoS, just prefer 8th myself :)

No need to be sorry, it was plenty clear... I was just being annoying in my AoS-fan mode.